Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] WildStar: From Mythic to Nexus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gary Astleford, currently a Senior Content Designer on WildStar at Carbine Studios, got his start in the MMO industry with Mythic Entertainment on Warhammer Online. As we reported yesterday, EA is shuttering the once mighty DAOC developer, and Gary penned a lovely tribute Mythic, on this the eve of WildStar’s unofficial launch. Read on for a farewell to Mythic, as dawn rises on a new universe.

Read more of Gary Astleford’s: From Mythic to Nexus - Reflection on the Past and the Unknown

The good ol’ days…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    oh, so thats why..
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Good for you, when you work on what you like to do, work becomes fun. Only once in my life I have worked on something that I could spend hours and hours and they seemed like minutes. It is an awesome feeling.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Wow soon as I read "38 studios" was like "oh no"... This guy may be a jinx for wildstar! Naw just kidding good article though!

Seems to be a rough industry to work in that's why you really have to be passionate about it to do it. Definitely not for someone looking for a stable career.

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66
    Actually the opposite for me first pictures reminds me how nerdy mmo players are. The other screenshot require some 2nd degree humor, which nerds dont have.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I think the homicidal maniac Chua has more character than the run of the mill Warhammer ones but that is just my opinion.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Good read, it's awesome whenever you get insight from a gaming insider. You read over and over how games and game companies create, stumble, succeed, and sometimes fail. The people behind this, and the challenges they face always seem way more interesting.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Wow look at that screenshot...that is the graphics style I love...medival with dark castles...now put roger rabbit wildstar next to it and you get the picture why cartoon graphics are one big turn off.

Personally I like both art styles. Its still 'cartoony' but does a good medieval feel, while wildstar accomplishes that futuristic feel by having things being brite and vibrant (for the most part). Without those 'filters' you would find they look quite similar and lack the character to really fit their settings as well.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Alrite guys, we have a new mission: Keep Gary employed! Everybody make sure you buy Wildstar and get your friends and family to buy it to. Together, we can do this!

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I found this article refreshing. It's nice to hear a story that makes devs seem more like real people and less like corporate money mongers. Kudos for posting this!

• WraithclawsWraithclaws Member UncommonPosts: 53

Awesome game, I cant stop playing it :D

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

Reposted with permission from Gary Astleford’s Personal Blog....

At first I also thought this was just an appeal for Wildstar, but if MMORPG.com approached Gary about re-posting it here, then I'll agree that it was nice to see a human side of the gaming industry.  We all do it at one point.  We load-up, move far away, and take a stab at life.

Too often forum-posters characterize these people with such horrible intentions like Leiros says above.  I don't think anyone is out to get us; they're out there taking their chance at success.  Money is a part of that.  I guess this is something to think about before out next complaint of cash-shops or subscriptions or even paying into alpha/beta (which I tend to dislike).  It's all part of the game.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    now we know everything !!!

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Alrite guys, we have a new mission: Keep Gary employed! Everybody make sure you buy Wildstar and get your friends and family to buy it to. Together, we can do this!

I'm betting Gary is gonna experience a repeat of history, but then WS with its grind, poor frame rates and forced endgame raiding is not my cup of tea. In any case I wish him well.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by winter

I'm betting Gary is gonna experience a repeat of history, but then WS with its grind, poor frame rates and forced endgame raiding is not my cup of tea. In any case I wish him well.

Show me where the Wildstar raider touched you.

..Cake..

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by winter

You don't wish him well.  If you did, you wouldnt have posted an unnecessary attack on his game in an effort to dissuade people from trying it.