Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't understand what is appealing about this game.

2»

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by grafh
    Are you serious? FFXI has one of the best stories in an mmo EVER (imo)! Look at the jobs in ffxi. They are standard jobs that have been in ff games since forever. FFXIV... Does not feel like a FF game to me, But its not a bad game, and the story is decent. You just have to play past 9. You dont have to give a game a chance, but dont come to the forums and complain about the game without doing so..

I just want to point out 1 thing.

FFXI might have a ton of jobs but when it launched it didn't have them all too. I wouldn't say FFXIV sucks because it doesn't currently have job x or y, those come with time.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Originally posted by Deathsmind
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Originally posted by Bloodaxes
    If anything the main story is one of the best I have played in.

Of course my opinion.

This ^^^^^

+1

Where is this main story? I saw a crap intro which has no story and hasn't changed since 1.0 and that is it... been nothing since but a bunch of fetch and kill 10 rats quests.

More story in WoW...

Certainly doesn't touch the story in SWTOR and TESO, even if those are bad MMOs as well. 

Then you have only gotten to maybe level 4. Once you get above level 5 you start getting the story quest. Play more than 5 minutes and you will enjoy it.

Unfortunately... not even game reviewers play for "more than five minutes" when the game first comes out.  Sad isn't it?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Solid end game, Solid story, Solid class design.  

If WoWs heroic raiding didn't exist, I would be playing this game.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

The main story is inconsistent at best. FFXI did it so much better. Some scenes are voice acted, others not. My main issue with the story is that they spread it so thinly by trying to have steps at every level up to 50. It would have been so much better if they had meaty chapters every 3-5 levels. Right now, some great developments are ruined by some filler story moments.

It does make up for it almost in Final Fantasy nostalgia however.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by rwyan

The main story is inconsistent at best. FFXI did it so much better. Some scenes are voice acted, others not. My main issue with the story is that they spread it so thinly by trying to have steps at every level up to 50. It would have been so much better if they had meaty chapters every 3-5 levels. Right now, some great developments are ruined by some filler story moments.

It does make up for it almost in Final Fantasy nostalgia however.

Really?

I personally found FFXI story (While good) having a really bad dare I say awful? progressing scheme. I mean you have to go in a zone with creatures your level then having to go through 3 zones with monsters that 1 shot you to reach some place or dude and back into other places that 1 shot you. I couldn't even continue the story without spending a lot of money on potions to become invisible or quite my footsteps and that sure wasn't fun.

I don't even remember anything from the story as you couldn't even progress from one part to the other without asking for help.

• wandererchanwandererchan Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I found main story line quite boring. And class story even more boring. The stories in 14 was done people behind CoP FFXI. If it was then they dropped the ball. Cause the story for CoP was epic from begining to end. The final fight was so epic.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This game is appealing because it has Final Fantasy in the title. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm with you, OP.  The characters look plastic and the combat is terrible.  But since I have different standards for what is appealing, I'm sure there's a reason people are still playing.  I just don't claim to know what it is.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I'm with you, OP.  The characters look plastic and the combat is terrible.  But since I have different standards for what is appealing, I'm sure there's a reason people are still playing.  I just don't claim to know what it is.

I don't like the combat either. SO I just don't do it. There are a dozen other fulfilling MMO type activities to do in this game. I don't think the characters look plastic but that's just me.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    This game is appealing because it has Final Fantasy in the title. 

1.0 did to and didn't appeal to very many at all so yeah what ever.

1.0 appealed to a lot of people because it had Final Fantasy in the name as well, and then people played it. The rest is history, as they say. 

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I played 1.0 and thought it was horrible, I decided to play again but this time on PS4, mainly though I'm back playing for an excuse to use the console that I haven't touched since the day I got it lol. I just don't get the hype over this new version of FF14...

The opening is exactly the same, they still haven't got round to doing voice acting for it and it just feels like they've turned it more into WoW. So far I'm doing the exact same quests I remember doing in MMOs 10+ years ago, I think MMOs have finally started to move on, but FF14 has stayed in the past when it comes to the quests. The combat is really slow and boring still, the UI for the PS4 version sucks, I find it hard to navigate it and working out where to go for a quest on the mini map is really difficult. 

There is nothing Final Fantasy about it though, I got to level 9 and I'm bored, I don't want to continue. I don't understand what this has to do with FF? There is no story and everything feels so dated, it is literally like going back 10+ years and tbh I think even FF11 was doing more interesting things. 

I hate the new world design as well, all they've done is added loads of loading screens. Why? They never existed in 1.0 to this extent, suddenly cities that never had loading screens in them, now they have 4 or 5. The world is so like a coridoor, there are barely any open areas, when you look at the actual playable area on a map, most of it is like straight lines. Most the stuff in the game has an invisible wall there and I just feel so packed in. 

I just don't get it and it doesn't help that the world is dead and there is no easy way of talking as they forgot to build in voice chat for the console version. I bet most people were fans of FF11 and are on the legacy servers, I had a FF11 account but the process they made you go through to make an account for that game, I'll never remember any of the details for it lol. I thought TESO was bad, but that game feels light years ahead of this one...

I still have to question what makes FF11 and 14 feel like Final Fantasy to people? I've played them both and neither are anything like those game and they lack story, people keep saying they have amazing stories...... I've not come across any in either game but the short opening thing that has no story to it. 

The story in FFXIV (both versions) is ridiculous. I wont get into that. But FFXI had a complex story. You can view the chains of promathia story at That will give you a glimpse of FFXIs story.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    You lost me when you said theres no story lol.  Everything in this game has Final Fantasy written all over it even the battle system.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

Yeah, this game definitely isn't boring and it has story aplenty if the player is paying attention.  The primary failure of this game happens at the end of the themepark content: the game just fails to make use of the genre it is a part of effectively and devolves into a run of the mill end game grinder like the majority of MMOs out there.  It needs better community building events and practices along with some sort of randomized content generation.

The game is also hard to get back into after an extended hiatus due to the difficulty ramping that happens with the end game fights.  It's like SE doesn't expect people to get bored for a while and play something else waiting for content to get released despite having nothing but repeatable quests and boss fights to tide them over.  

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59

I played 1.0 and thought it was horrible, I decided to play again but this time on PS4, mainly though I'm back playing for an excuse to use the console that I haven't touched since the day I got it lol. I just don't get the hype over this new version of FF14...

The opening is exactly the same, they still haven't got round to doing voice acting for it and it just feels like they've turned it more into WoW. So far I'm doing the exact same quests I remember doing in MMOs 10+ years ago, I think MMOs have finally started to move on, but FF14 has stayed in the past when it comes to the quests. The combat is really slow and boring still, the UI for the PS4 version sucks, I find it hard to navigate it and working out where to go for a quest on the mini map is really difficult. 

There is nothing Final Fantasy about it though, I got to level 9 and I'm bored, I don't want to continue. I don't understand what this has to do with FF? There is no story and everything feels so dated, it is literally like going back 10+ years and tbh I think even FF11 was doing more interesting things. 

I hate the new world design as well, all they've done is added loads of loading screens. Why? They never existed in 1.0 to this extent, suddenly cities that never had loading screens in them, now they have 4 or 5. The world is so like a coridoor, there are barely any open areas, when you look at the actual playable area on a map, most of it is like straight lines. Most the stuff in the game has an invisible wall there and I just feel so packed in. 

I just don't get it and it doesn't help that the world is dead and there is no easy way of talking as they forgot to build in voice chat for the console version. I bet most people were fans of FF11 and are on the legacy servers, I had a FF11 account but the process they made you go through to make an account for that game, I'll never remember any of the details for it lol. I thought TESO was bad, but that game feels light years ahead of this one...

I still have to question what makes FF11 and 14 feel like Final Fantasy to people? I've played them both and neither are anything like those game and they lack story, people keep saying they have amazing stories...... I've not come across any in either game but the short opening thing that has no story to it. 

You lost all credibility when you started saying there was no story.  If there was one positive about this game it's the story.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

The great thing about not understanding the appeal of the game is,   YOU DONT HAVE TOO!.      Which is awesome because no one will be able to convince you otherwise.

Just enjoy knowing that many hundreds of thousands people enjoy playing this game, and you failing to grasp why wont affect them one bit.

Cheers.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd still play FFXIV if it came out on XB360/XB1 - but sadly no.

Which is odd, as FFXI was on XB360 and PC/PS.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

It won't be on Xbox because of Microsoft's policies.  They require that the game run on their servers, which means if you play on Xbox you can only play with people also playing on Xbox.  YoshiP, the producer of FFXIV says he wants PC, PS3 and PS4 people to play on the same servers and be able to play together.

It's microsoft holding up the deal.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Appealing? - The storyline.

I thought the story was excellent, from the start, right through to where the credits rolled up. And that seemed to be the end of it for me.

Sure there was the 'now go and do those things again on hard mode, but for me the story had  run to a natural conclusion. We'd won, we'd had the celebration. Credits roll.

Of course, the issue then with a strong story driven mmo is to keep it going with the same attention to the lore.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I thought the story was excellent, from the start, right through to where the credits rolled up. And that seemed to be the end of it for me.

Sure there was the 'now go and do those things again on hard mode, but for me the story had  run to a natural conclusion. We'd won, we'd had the celebration. Credits roll.

Of course, the issue then with a strong story driven mmo is to keep it going with the same attention to the lore.

@JudgeUK

Every single patch has added story with cut scenes, deep lore, and great progression content.  Every single time there is a dungeon added, it is tied into a story.  When they added daily quests with beastmen tribes, it also added stories that directly tie into the primals.

This game has a VERY VERY deep lore.  They don't add things and then just shoot from the hip.  If something is introduced, any content at all, there is a story associated with it and the story ties into the lore that has come before it.  That's how you make a living, breathing world.

Do yourself a favor, sub for one more month and do the story you've missed the last 6 months.  It's leading up to Ishgarde and the expansion.  We've been told (yesterday) the latest story will heavily involve the Primal Shiva up to and including the expansion.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

@JudgeUK

Every single patch has added story with cut scenes, deep lore, and great progression content.  Every single time there is a dungeon added, it is tied into a story.  When they added daily quests with beastmen tribes, it also added stories that directly tie into the primals.

This game has a VERY VERY deep lore.  They don't add things and then just shoot from the hip.  If something is introduced, any content at all, there is a story associated with it and the story ties into the lore that has come before it.  That's how you make a living, breathing world.

Do yourself a favor, sub for one more month and do the story you've missed the last 6 months.  It's leading up to Ishgarde and the expansion.  We've been told (yesterday) the latest story will heavily involve the Primal Shiva up to and including the expansion.

I don't know, if he hasn't noticed the story at this point I got doubts he/she is going to suddenly see it if they decide to play again.

On a different note, I'm still hoping that we will eventually see some more enduring activities thrown into the mix.  Right now things are too static at the end game, which is fine if the title had the breadth of WoW, but for a title like Final Fantasy XIV where it has only been out of the gate for a year or so it just doesn't work that well.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by ZizouX

It won't be on Xbox because of Microsoft's policies.  They require that the game run on their servers, which means if you play on Xbox you can only play with people also playing on Xbox.  YoshiP, the producer of FFXIV says he wants PC, PS3 and PS4 people to play on the same servers and be able to play together.

It's microsoft holding up the deal.

Seems they are negotiating with Microsoft still to try and make it happen on XB1. YoshiP said as much at E3 this year.