Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, after all this long World of Warcraft still the best option?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    If anyone thinks otherwise, welcome to share your opinions.

I have been playing MMOs since WoW came out and I have never played WoW.

does that make it the best option? I don't know but I do know I find it unintresting

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

WoW is definitely the most popular option.

Rift is WoW for adults and people who want more of a challenge.

EQ:N looks promising. ESO is a lot of fun. ArcheAge will be good once they add PvE servers. Camelot Unchained is going to be off the chain (bahaha!). But if we are measuring from pure popularity, then yes WoW is the best option.

I don't think Rift is harder than WoW.. at all. The macro system in Rift means you can play the whole game using 1-4 buttons. Sure, you can macro in WoW using external methods but having it in game, like in Rift, means EVERYONE does it. You are gimped if you don't macro in Rift. I have a Harbinger build in Rift that uses one macro.. I just run around PvP Battlegrounds pressing one button constantly and another sometimes to target.

Top end Raids are much harder in WoW than in Rift. LTR and Flex are easy, yeh, but to get to the top (Heroic) takes some serious effort and coordination. Rift's raids are short, easy and simplistic compared to WoW's Heroics.

Yea I have seen people on both sides of this fence. Some say WoW is harder, others say Rift is harder. The fact that it goes back and forth based on a per person basis says they doing something right in difficulty scaling imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Vannor

EQ:N looks promising. ESO is a lot of fun. ArcheAge will be good once they add PvE servers. Camelot Unchained is going to be off the chain (bahaha!). But if we are measuring from pure popularity, then yes WoW is the best option.

I don't think Rift is harder than WoW.. at all. The macro system in Rift means you can play the whole game using 1-4 buttons. Sure, you can macro in WoW using external methods but having it in game, like in Rift, means EVERYONE does it. You are gimped if you don't macro in Rift. I have a Harbinger build in Rift that uses one macro.. I just run around PvP Battlegrounds pressing one button constantly and another sometimes to target.

Top end Raids are much harder in WoW than in Rift. LTR and Flex are easy, yeh, but to get to the top (Heroic) takes some serious effort and coordination. Rift's raids are short, easy and simplistic compared to WoW's Heroics.

Yea I have seen people on both sides of this fence. Some say WoW is harder, others say Rift is harder. The fact that it goes back and forth based on a per person basis says they doing something right in difficulty scaling imo.

as an aside:

playing Wurm with no assistance from others is the hardest thing I have ever played other than Kerbal Space Program which is about just as hard.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Aeonblades.

Not to mention that we have different skills which make some games harder for us than others.

I can say which games are too hard, good or too easy for me, but many of my friends have very different lists of hard and easy games.

And of course, it also differs for different types of gameplay, like raids, open world, PvP, dungeons and so on...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I played WoW till BC and really never went back so for me it aint the best option.

I can not speak for anyone else.

But regardless me not playing or going back to WOW does NOT make it a bad game, it's just not the game of choice for me.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    If you've already played WoW, I'd try something new. Try mmos that are completely different in mechanics (EvE). Try mmos that are cut from a similar mold (Rift/Wildstar). Etc. If you want engaging quests/lore then play ESO.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

WoW was not the best for me, I could tell that in the first six days I played.  And the things I disliked were not ever going to be changed.  Of course, others mileage may (and apparantly do) vary.

Gear score minimaxing is a complete turn off.  Not a end raider fanatic either, especially as every video I have seen of WoW raids resemble a giant game of Simon Sez.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by korent1991

Can you be more specific on your opinion that's underlined above?

It's dungeons and raids are harder and requires more thought put into your character. It has far more in depth classes and talent trees than even the original WoW talent trees had. It's just a more advanced version of WoW imho, it copies all the good points, adds it's own flavor, and ups the difficulty a notch. It's not a themepark, it's THE themepark if you like WoW style gameplay.

I find vanilla wow raids to be harder than any other mmorpg by far. Too bad that those days are over :(

I agree tho with you that talent system in rift is more complex and really opens up alot of options.

You obviously never played EQ in its heyday...72 man raids that very often ended in wipes and had to rez that many people...There were ramifications for dying then, unlike WoW.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

It's dungeons and raids are harder and requires more thought put into your character. It has far more in depth classes and talent trees than even the original WoW talent trees had. It's just a more advanced version of WoW imho, it copies all the good points, adds it's own flavor, and ups the difficulty a notch. It's not a themepark, it's THE themepark if you like WoW style gameplay.

There is literally zero evidence behind anything this guy is saying.  Unless you have completed WoW's most difficult available content in the recent expansions, and can draw evidence from those fights vs. rifts then just about everything you've said thus far is invalid.  

The people who believe WoW is easy, 9/10 times are the ones who don't look for hard content.  WoW's structure does not at any point in the game force you into hard content where as a game such as wildstar does. If you want to truly experience WoW at a high skill cap, you have to go for it and I think a lot of people would enjoy it more if they did.  

I have played WoW since beta and have completed every raid to date on the hardest difficulty sans SoO, which I quit playing in January before completing on Heroic. I'm just giving my opinion from 15 years of MMO observation, if you don't agree with it that's fine, but it's far from invalid.

As another poster mentioned, Vanilla WoW raids are harder than the Heroics now imo. I remember the first time I tanked Nefarian for our guild, one of the pinnacles of my time in WoW as it was a fight for server first at the time on Magtheridon. Needless to say, we didn't get the server first, but that's because it was fun and challenging. The days of that kind of content and competition are long gone from WoW.

The parts that are invalid are essentially you judging content you haven't completed, which you openly admitted to doing in your comment.  You also must've not been monitoring the world first Heroic clears this expansion, especially  thunder king and garrosh. Even to this day only about 2.5% of the pop has downed H garrosh and hes been out for....how long? Long.  There are guilds everywhere constantly setting their roster standards higher to down him before the release of WoD where mythic will be the new competitive raiding scene. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

i was a solo player in WoW. i could pug a group in which i was tanking and run through dungeons literally in 10-15 min max. even heroic becomes easy once u have a decent geared tank. as long as the healer can keep the tank up its easy mode on any difficulty. rift isnt quite like that. so imo, wow is easier than most. even raids become easy. this is where wildstar will shine. u can run the same dungeons but they will change so it will add a degree of challenge that wow cant match. and yes wow can b run on emachines. most people will say wow is easymode for mmo's.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by silverreign

i was a solo player in WoW. i could pug a group in which i was tanking and run through dungeons literally in 10-15 min max. even heroic becomes easy once u have a decent geared tank. as long as the healer can keep the tank up its easy mode on any difficulty. rift isnt quite like that. so imo, wow is easier than most. even raids become easy. this is where wildstar will shine. u can run the same dungeons but they will change so it will add a degree of challenge that wow cant match. and yes wow can b run on emachines. most people will say wow is easymode for mmo's.

First line is all I needed to know.  

You don't clear WoW's hardest content as a solo player, or a pug player. That is fact. That is also why you think its easy, you CHOSE not to enter hard content because blizzard didn't force you to. 

Wildstar doesn't do anything different other than force all players, including solo, into difficult scenarios from about level 20 and on where as WoW at no point forces you into difficult content, you have to go after it.  

The amount of people I see like yourself that make this mistake of not entering the gates the are difficult content and then coming to forums or any discussion board calling WoW easy is getting more abundant by the day. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

How is rift harder? Only 1% of raiders in WoW have beat the final boss right now. I doubt rift has anything like that. Been awhile since I played but I dont remember anything hard about it.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

I don't think otherwise.

Most resources, longest development times, hardest end game, best responsive combat.

Furthermore: connected realms, seamless open worlds, 7.5 million subscribers after 10 years in an industry that turned free to play for every game older than 1 year ...

WoW is the reference and the other Fantasy based MMO's are surrogates of it. Even EQ was adapted.

The only valid alternatives would be EVE for hardcore science fiction space ships freaks and probably the upcoming space shooter -semi MMO- Destiny.

But looking back over these past 8 years ... most of the others were simply a complete waste of time and effort.

I wonder what happened to the guy who camped for 2 days in Sep 2008 before a shop to get the first copy of Warhammer On Line ? Did he go mental when they announced the end of WAR in 2013?

Vanguard fans, Tabula Rasa dudes, Hellfire London fanatics... A long list that gets longer each passing month...

Complete waste.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Hey OP, I'll answer the thread title with:

SURE! But, NO.
  • DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

I'd have to go with FFXI, FFXIV and Age of Wushu as being my favorites right now.

FFXIV has the best instances of any MMO in my opinion.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

WOW was never an option (for me).

Wurm online, EVE, TSW... all much much better games.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Deathsmind

How is rift harder? Only 1% of raiders in WoW have beat the final boss right now. I doubt rift has anything like that. Been awhile since I played but I dont remember anything hard about it.

It still doesn't prove much one way or the other.

First we don't have that number for Rift, secondly Wow might have less actual raiders than Rift and thirdly it's player might be worse... 

I do think that Wows top stuff is somewhat harder myself but there is no actual proof for that, and there is always the chance that the time to get the gear so you actually can beat the toughest boss in Wow is way more time consuming than it is in Rift which would affect the numbers a lot.

• Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43

Myself and three friends are basically sitting back waiting for WoD. The group of us PvPed in MoP until we were candidates for psychological intervention, then froze our accounts to wait for the next big thing from Bliz. Nothing seems to be lighting the fire like WoW for us. One of the group tried the ESO beta and gave it a thumbs down. I'm trying to get everyone to try Wildstar but so far I'm getting a "meh" response - everyone seems to be busy for the summer.

WoW? Yeah, I'm ready to go back to Az. No rush, but I'm ready.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

best option for what? I was sick of the game a year or two ago, and quit .... i don't see it as a best option for anything. There are plenty of other games to play.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

No it isn't. It never was. That is the opinion. And also an indisputable fact if you want to talk "in general".

Now why not waste your own time explaining why is supposed to be the best option in first place, rather than just asking for free bumbs for a loaded topic simply hailing and promoting WoW as the greatest of all things and not contributing, discussing, reporting or doing anything else that deserves a thread?

:)

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Best option left the building right after Blizzard removed the necessity of arrows for their hunters bows. I mean really? Seriously? I have never seen a developer massacre their own awesome creation as Blizzard did with this game. WoW was great for a couple of years only. Made me cry when they made it so retarded a 3 year old could play with almost no mental capacity whatsoever as far as an actual alternate world.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

No it isn't. It never was. That is the opinion. And also an indisputable fact if you want to talk "in general".

Now why not waste your own time explaining why is supposed to be the best option in first place, rather than just asking for free bumbs for a loaded topic simply hailing and promoting WoW as the greatest of all things and not contributing, discussing, reporting or doing anything else that deserves a thread?

Most who've disagreed, have said anything but failed to mention a MMO (which they think) is indeed a better option than WOW, which only further proves that's indeed the best option. After all the thread was intended for that purpose those "who think otherwise are welcome to share their opinions, why in fact they don't think it's the best option".

You think there is a better MMO out there than WOW? Well, let's hear it and your opinions why you disagree with this thread, thx.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by SomeHuman Originally posted by Sukiyaki Originally posted by Kopogero If anyone thinks otherwise, welcome to share your opinions.
    No it isn't. It never was. That is the opinion. And also an indisputable fact if you want to talk "in general". Now why not waste your own time explaining why is supposed to be the best option in first place, rather than just asking for free bumbs for a loaded topic simply hailing and promoting WoW as the greatest of all things and not contributing, discussing, reporting or doing anything else that deserves a thread?
    Most who've disagreed, have said anything but failed to mention a MMO (which they think) is indeed a better option than WOW, which only further proves that's indeed the best option. After all the thread was intended for that purpose those "who think otherwise are welcome to share their opinions, why in fact they don't think it's the best option".

You think there is a better MMO out there than WOW? Well, let's hear it and your opinions why you disagree with this thread, thx.

Again, WoW is the best mmo for you. Why do you feel the need for outside affirmation? Is it not good enough to enjoy an mmo you like without seeking validation from forum members? Or are you trying to discredit other people's personal favorites?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

I don't like WOW, just about any MMO I do like is a better option for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Best option left the building right after Blizzard removed the necessity of arrows for their hunters bows. I mean really? Seriously? I have never seen a developer massacre their own awesome creation as Blizzard did with this game. WoW was great for a couple of years only. Made me cry when they made it so retarded a 3 year old could play with almost no mental capacity whatsoever as far as an actual alternate world.

I fully agreed with the arrow change for hunters, it was a ridiculous burden on a single class to have 1 less bag slot and always have to fill on arrows.  

I always felt that things started turning south when they removed the hunter dead zone and started not requiring stance dancing for warriors both of which dramatically reduced the skill level required to play the game.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
This discussion has been closed.