Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apparently there is a DDOS attack...

Comments

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by i_own_u
    UPDATE: "Edit: 00:45 PDT I've heard from a few folks it's a confirmed DDOS attack (real time updates, may change, fog of war, etc.). Partially handled. Servers taking in some players now, player counts rising. Ninjitsu continues."

Awesome :)

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Carbine Dev : Uhhh we too busy riding our bikes around the office to do our job, so lets blame someone else when we shit in our diapers.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    Blizzard wouldnt stoop that low... Zenimax on the other hand...

never...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    It is pissing me off... And making me sleepy again.... Lol....
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/fcja88C.gif&v=7f_HsjpSVaI&s=6

Taken from reddit...lol

made me lol ..... i am ,however very bored

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/fcja88C.gif&v=7f_HsjpSVaI&s=6

Taken from reddit...lol

LOL.... they should have used that song for the loading screen.

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314
    i'm in!
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by TheHavok

My money is on China.

http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&time=16221&view=map

wow. every one nuke USA :O even germans...

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Originally posted by TheHavok

My money is on China.

http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&time=16221&view=map

wow. every one nuke USA :O even germans...

Yeah.... its so hard being the most powerful force in the world.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Actually, as soon as i read about the DDOS they were the first ones to spring to mind image

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Phry

Actually, as soon as i read about the DDOS they were the first ones to spring to mind image

its serious business actually:)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/14313211/heart-of-the-valorous-buff-30-05-2014

thats blizz counter.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Leiros

Looks like the gold spammers have united ...

What would gold farmers possibly stand to gain by shutting down the servers?

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Originally posted by Phry

its serious business actually:)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/14313211/heart-of-the-valorous-buff-30-05-2014

thats blizz counter.

Blizzard are not the kind of company that would get involved in a DDOS, i don't really think Zenimax are either but for the humour factor i just couldn't resist it. Blizzard are more likely to evolve WoW incorporating, and adapting features they see as being an enhancement of their own game, not to say that they don't get creative all on their own, they clearly do, but their often able to improve others ideas well beyond what the original creator was able to do themselves, they haven't kept on top of their game after all by sitting on their hands image

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Leiros

Looks like the gold spammers have united ...

What would gold farmers possibly stand to gain by shutting down the servers?

gold spammers have everything to gain from it, by carrying out a DDOS they might be trying to 'force' entry into the login servers. That is after all the most common useage of DDOS, if they are able to 'bypass' security measures by bombarding the login servers they might be able to gain login information, usernames/passwords etc. from the people attempting to log in. Things like that are extremely valuable to gold farmers.image

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Game which company will offer 50% off on the day when Wildstar launches is behind this crap.
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

DDOS, where no online company is safe anymore.  How many banks have had this happen to them as well?   We live in a day and age where gold sellers and hackers rule the day.   Make ATM's spit out cash on demand,  steal your passport info, hack military satalites and even hack the NSA!  Government that announces it can hack your computer when its off through the kernel system,  can access your metadata.  Nothing is secure anymore!   Online games security don't stand a chance to these types of hackers.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Knotwood

DDOS, where no online company is safe anymore.  How many banks have had this happen to them as well?   We live in a day and age where gold sellers and hackers rule the day.   Make ATM's spit out cash on demand,  steal your passport info, hack military satalites and even hack the NSA!  Government that announces it can hack your computer when its off through the kernel system,  can access your metadata.  Nothing is secure anymore!   Online games security don't stand a chance to these types of hackers.

DDOS has nothing to do with hacking.

Every public site is subject to DDOS.

But don't confuse hacking with distributed denial of service.

So true, hacking can have some sort of rewards and is seen as thieving

With this kind of attacks no one wins anything, and its a kind of vandalism.....

vandalisme is stupid 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Denial of Serive attacks are no different then massive amounts of pings to a firewall right?   Which if given enough pings could locate all the holes in the firewall if not shut down correct?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Have they confirmed that it was an attack? I ask because JG said it might be.. not that it was..it was also over rather quickly.. barely an hr. Sounds more like typical launch floods to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Do you think this is what they were doing, giving the short amount of time it happened?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Backscatter[edit]

See also: Backscatter (email) and Internet background noise

In computer network security, backscatter is a side-effect of a spoofed denial-of-service attack. In this kind of attack, the attacker spoofs (or forges) the source address in IP packets sent to the victim. In general, the victim machine cannot distinguish between the spoofed packets and legitimate packets, so the victim responds to the spoofed packets as it normally would. These response packets are known as backscatter.[41]

If the attacker is spoofing source addresses randomly, the backscatter response packets from the victim will be sent back to random destinations. This effect can be used by network telescopes as indirect evidence of such attacks.

The term "backscatter analysis" refers to observing backscatter packets arriving at a statistically significant portion of the IP address space to determine characteristics of DoS attacks and victims.

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314
    We had it all wrong...it couldn't have been Blizzard or Zenimax...it was...WORLD OF TANKS!
  • QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41

I'm not a security expert, although I do know a bit about networking. I'm looking at the DAM and there is no way in hell some small time person did this. That is way too many packets to not have a major force behind them. That just screams, "I have a lot of money and botnets behind me." Fuck, that's even worse than what Anonymous can do. Like I said, someone with $$$ and a vendetta is behind it, at least I think.

As for who? I don't know. But logic would dictate that the only people that would want to interfere with a head start are those that have something to lose - other MMO companies. It may have been Blizzard, or Zenimax, but it could've been EA or anyone else, too.

Maybe its china sending the west a message after we indicted 5 of their top hackers.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Quorina

I'm not a security expert, although I do know a bit about networking. I'm looking at the DAM and there is no way in hell some small time person did this. That is way too many packets to not have a major force behind them. That just screams, "I have a lot of money and botnets behind me." Fuck, that's even worse than what Anonymous can do. Like I said, someone with $$$ and a vendetta is behind it, at least I think.

As for who? I don't know. But logic would dictate that the only people that would want to interfere with a head start are those that have something to lose - other MMO companies. It may have been Blizzard, or Zenimax, but it could've been EA or anyone else, too.

lol stop making stuff up.   You aren't looking at anything. 

I doubt this was even a DDoS, it's just launch issues.