Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMOs have NPC group members?

VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I know EverQuest offers them as 'Mercenaries', and Henchmen are in Guild Wars. What other games (specifically the classic MMO game model) do you know provides this feature?

Not looking to play these games, just wondering how many out there have turned to this as help for falling populations and how many just thought it was a good idea.

For the record, I don't mean pet classes with NPC people like the LotRO Champion but games that offer them to any class.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    DDO

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I believe Star Wars does, though I've never played it. Also, EQ2.
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Guild Wars, Granado Espada, Atlantica (if you want to consider that, it's kind of a turn based game). That's all I can think of at the moment, but I don't think any of them added that specifically to counter dwindling population.
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    [...]

None other that I know of apart from the GW 1. And is a mighty shame to boot. Sometimes you wish to play a game without any interpersonal cr@p. Plus, GW 1 even with HnH were more of an MMO than most of today's MMOs are anyhow.

[...]

Heh, in GW1, henchmen were better than most players. With henchmen, you know exactly what you're getting and they do what they're told. With people, their builds and skill level can be all over the place, they might not understand english or they can be dicks.

I'd say 4/5 times you were better off with a henchman than a random player to fill your group.

Plus Alesia had some wicked superhuman reaction times. image

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    TLDR: NPC helpers rock.

Well it's certainly better than nothing at all imo. Assuming that their AI is also programmed well.

Sometimes I don't feel like being social and that kind of kills the experience for me in some games. I would love to have henchmen in TERA for example.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    [...]

None other that I know of apart from the GW 1. And is a mighty shame to boot. Sometimes you wish to play a game without any interpersonal cr@p. Plus, GW 1 even with HnH were more of an MMO than most of today's MMOs are anyhow.

[...]

Heh, in GW1, henchmen were better than most players. With henchmen, you know exactly what you're getting and they do what they're told. With people, their builds and skill level can be all over the place, they might not understand english or they can be dicks.

I'd say 4/5 times you were better off with a henchman than a random player to fill your group.

To the contrary, most players were better than henchmen.  The problem was when you got a really bad player, they weren't just a little worse than a henchman; they could be worse than a vacant group spot.  Grouping with three players who were better than henchmen and one who was much, much worse might well be worse than just four henchmen.

Heroes, however, were a different matter.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Star Trek Online is another one that I don't believe has been mentioned.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

In SWTOR you can always have one NPC (copmanion) with you. At maxed legacy and high presence, companions are capable to kill all groups of mobs while you just stand and watch.

Here is my video of my Sith Inquisitor early levels on Alderan  LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn66y1X7m4

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Quizzical

To the contrary, most players were better than henchmen.  The problem was when you got a really bad player, they weren't just a little worse than a henchman; they could be worse than a vacant group spot.  Grouping with three players who were better than henchmen and one who was much, much worse might well be worse than just four henchmen.

Yeah, Mhenlo made me insane, particularly before the AI upgrade.

Heroes were really good though, and still the only good npcs you can use in groups.

EQ 1 & 2 got npcs you can hire in now as well as DDO.

Still, Guildwars 1 is the only good choice if you want a group with some or many NPCs in it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

In SWTOR you can always have one NPC (copmanion) with you. At maxed legacy and high presence, companions are capable to kill all groups of mobs while you just stand and watch.

In TOR they are more pets than actual group members.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

In TOR they are more pets than actual group members.

Call Kaliyo a pet and she will reorganize your face /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I have more bad experiences from players than good ones.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DMKano

Since the OP said MMOs - Diablo 3.

rare that someone beat me to it!

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

DDO has a fairly robust NPC grouping system.

I don´t know if they did it on purpose, or if it is just bad AI, but the NPCs are fairly unpredictable which keeps you on your toes in a good way.   They feel more alive because of it, and not just automated servants.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    Star Trek Online is another one that I don't believe has been mentioned.

Just a +1, if you're interested in managing / building your own crew and play with them as a team, STO is your game.

• TehJonelTehJonel Member UncommonPosts: 5
    star trek online. fully customizeable bridge officers that accompany you on your mission. face, uniform, race, skills, weapons, armor, etc.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Idk about Diablo 3. Sth about that wondersome three makes me not really think about the real NPC helpers. Especially if we compare it to competent AI(DoTA 1/2, GW 1). I mean, Koss/Dunkoro and co simply can't be compared to Kormac and co. Simply can't.

Well, they are NPCs, and they have skills.

Another game that has NPC help is Van Helsing 1 & 2.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I think we're talking about Companions?  Neverwinter had them.  I think most Forgotten Realms based mmo's do.  Turn base mmo's usually give you several.  I don't know if you want to count animals in this OP never said.  Chocobos of FFXIV act as battle companions (not a pet which is class specific).  Chocobos aren't animals anyway; Big Bird told me so.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Yea, I was mostly focusing on NPCs that took the place of real people party members, not pets or NPCs the player would have even if they were in a party full of real people.

Though since the thread has moved on from that, anything an MMO does to make it easier for a player to solo in a group mostly game is fair, I suppose.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.