Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO to play with my girlfriend

rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

Hey guys,

My girlfriend just got a new laptop and I convinced her to sit down and play some MMOs. Her old laptop was never able to play games and she's always just watched me play instead. But now that she has a laptop that is moderate for gaming, we're going to jump into an MMO together.

Right now I'm thinking Guild Wars 2 is a good start. She's never played any game like an MMO. While I as a die-hard fan of GW1 pretty much hate the dumbing down of the sequel, it's a great casual game for a 1st timer. But I really don't want to buy her a copy and find out we can't get into it together (we're really tight on money). So I'm kind of sitting at a standstill.

I'll take all opinions. I'm really just looking for a good group centric game with lots of character customization. I'll even take non-MMO suggestions. Also it has to be F2P.

Thanks!

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--

Comments

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

GW2 is a great start i still have it downloaded and can go back on a want to basis. The introduction into the game keeps a new player entertained while learning the mechanics in starter zones real well allowing to go back to old content to help her character out if you level past etc.

GW2 would e a good bet if your trying to keep her in the genre for the long haul you can later move to something else if she pleases but GW2 should get her started real nice.

On a F2P title.. I would say rift but theres just too much there for her it would be overwhelming and not fun for a first timer. I would keep that in mind in the decision making.

Honestly id go with Wildstar (because its fresh and look like its beginner friendly with much to offer) or GW2 

Sorry slim pickings in the genre atm

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    swtor seems to be a pretty couples friendly game.. might want to check that one out

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

I recommend Swtor. Its a perfect game for a newbie. Very easy, laid back, great story, easy controls, etc. Also allows for soloplay because of the different stories that are easy to get into. It doesnt have too much customization though. WoW and Swtor is the only game I can get my gf to play myself. She doesnt like many of the other ones we have tried out which is quite a bit.

I think with GW2, depending on her skill level, might not be up to par with it. Might find the dynamic events confusing as well as skills changing depending on weapon and combat being a little different.

Originally posted by Deathsmind

I recommend Swtor. Its a perfect game for a newbie. Very easy, laid back, great story, easy controls, etc. Also allows for soloplay because of the different stories that are easy to get into. It doesnt have too much customization though. WoW and Swtor is the only game I can get my gf to play myself. She doesnt like many of the other ones we have tried out which is quite a bit.

I think with GW2, depending on her skill level, might not be up to par with it. Might find the dynamic events confusing as well as skills changing depending on weapon and combat being a little different.

how could dynamic events be confusing? it was the easiest questing system i encountered you ran to the spot and the objective told you what to do lol. and im sure i recycled every possible mechanic from dofus to WoW to mmos long dead.

I am not a great fan of any one mmo but if gw2 does somethign right its foster new players and get people to try out the game and stick it through

I downloaded swtor i tried combat which was clanky and just plain off it made me uninstall within literally 2 hours or so. I am not saying dont try it, but if i had to choose gw2 all the way for new experiences

Originally posted by DMKano

ArcheAge - can ride on a mount together so you will not ever have to yell at her for not being able to follow or get lost.

Also if she pisses you off you can always Ctrl+F and kill her.

Chances are if she hates it she will like gardening etc...

Also girls in my guild are very happy with character creator - girl friendly unlike some games where you can only create ugly girls (TSW comes to mind)

Hey DMKano, what are the fees associated with archage ive been curious to try myself but i heard some of the models introduced ruffled some feathers.

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I know quite a few couples going into Wildstar.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    I've always thought that FFXIV has quite an androgynous quality to it, appealing to both male & female alike. Also the difficulty curve is not too steep.
    -Chuckles
  • rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

ArcheAge is a good one, sucks it's a few months away. I played a lot of the RU version but I quit so I wouldn't spoil any more for the NA release. I can see her liking it, it's just pretty confusing for even me as an MMO vets so I'll have to baby-step a lot of things. Also it requires a good time commitment and up to level 30 we couldn't group as much. I'll keep it on my radar with us in the future tho.

I can't stand Star Wars (I'm probably one of the few people in this world) so I'm not touching SWTOR. Going to have to a little selfish.

I would actually do FFXIV if it wasn't for a sub. We can't afford to take that money out of our bills every month.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Theres some pretty decent FTP games on the market atm that you could try to test the waters.

SWTOR has FTP options but its pretty restrictive, The lower levels it should'ent be an issue but should you like it and decide to stick around you may wanna drop a few bucks on it.

LOTRO is also FTP and has an *ok* model at the lower levels, can either purchase quest packs slowly as you can afford them or commit yourself to a fairly heavy grind to earn the turbine points required to buy them. Later levels you'd need to plunk down some cash on the expansion packs which can get pretty spendy for two accounts starting out. ($40 for the expansion combo pack and another $40 for the latest expac)

Tera Rising has a very good FTP model if you can get past the lack of female armor models and the toxic world chat (At least it was bad on the servers I played on) The action combat is more akin to GW2 which you mentioned in your OP is why I bring it up.

GW2 is a solid game with action combat. Obviously you know its a B2P game with that single initial investment, their cash shop is pretty extensive though and if your GF is anything like my wife before you know it there will be a list of a dozen things she *MUST HAVE* lol.

Check out SWTOR, LOTRO and Tera Rising though first, all have F2P with free downloads and if you dont like them you can simply uninstal .. no harm no foul !

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    • Neverwinter is F2P
    • decent graphics, so it won't be a drain on the laptop
    • small zones and guided navigation to POI's
    • easy combat depending on what she picks
    • Group runs of dungeons are easy to join and find for the most part
    • Dialogue of quests are voice-acted and can be amusing if you pay attention.

I'm not a die-hard for the game, but I've been hopping in more often recently and running quests and dungeons and enjoying myself.  Might be good to test her interest before plopping down cash on GW2.  I think GW2 is an excellent option of course.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

SWTOR and Tera are the first things that came to mind but looks like that's a no on SWTOR. 

My recommendation is if she likes anime style graphics go Tera if she likes gritty graphics go AoC.  In theory you could go Rift, but it's just so horribly bland I would be afraid it would make a bad impression.

Oh, now that I think about it there is Aion with the widest character customization of any mmo ever.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo
    I can't stand Star Wars (I'm probably one of the few people in this world) so I'm not touching SWTOR. Going to have to a little selfish.

Same here!  We are the few.

How about Aion?  It's easy and she can fly on her wings.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

Neverwinter, Rift, or Lotro - fantasy genre

or for your sci fi fix - SWTOR

I personally don't like sci fi and there is something about the fantasy genre, perhaps it's over sexualized, it just seems to appeal to both sexes more. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo

Hey guys,

My girlfriend just got a new laptop and I convinced her to sit down and play some MMOs. Her old laptop was never able to play games and she's always just watched me play instead. But now that she has a laptop that is moderate for gaming, we're going to jump into an MMO together.

Right now I'm thinking Guild Wars 2 is a good start. She's never played any game like an MMO. While I as a die-hard fan of GW1 pretty much hate the dumbing down of the sequel, it's a great casual game for a 1st timer. But I really don't want to buy her a copy and find out we can't get into it together (we're really tight on money). So I'm kind of sitting at a standstill.

I'll take all opinions. I'm really just looking for a good group centric game with lots of character customization. I'll even take non-MMO suggestions. Also it has to be F2P.

Thanks!

Yeah, GW2 should fit the bill. Plenty of character customization including a way more complex dye system than the first game.

It is indeed easier than the first game (even if the fractals and a few dungeons can be pretty challenging still but not early hard mode challenging).

Otherwise you could try DDO with her, it is pretty easy to get into. TERA would work as well, but you are pretty limited in clothes and stuff like that there compared to GW2.

Why not let her try an hour playing GW2 with a new toon on your GW2 account to see if it is her cup of tea? And if not try something else. 

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

EQ2 is very beginners/couples friendly. It has a ****ton of video optimization controls in game to tweak for performance.

Its also free to download and play.

Just throwing this out there because it hasn't been mentioned.

Originally posted by Nyghthowler

EQ2 is very beginners/couples friendly. It has a ****ton of video optimization controls in game to tweak for performance.

I dunno to run it on a laptop, the games engine is far from good (and I did play it for 5 years until it went F2P). In fact my desktop back then had twice the average FPS in AoC compared to EQ2 and that tells a lot.

The game do have it's fun payed it 5 years after all, but I kinda feel that it is past it "best before" date by now. 

Still, it is F2P so it might be worth trying but I wouldn't use it as my first choice.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    I would try star trek online it has a good free 2 play system and is a lot of fun.
    Originally posted by Abimor
    I would try star trek online it has a good free 2 play system and is a lot of fun.

Lol, only if his girlfriend likes Star trek.. For some reason do I only know 1 female that enjoy the IP, the rest hate it with a passion for some reason...

It is F2P and a CORPG like GW1 and DDO though so it might be worth checking out if the GF are into Sci-fi.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I would say GW2 first and then second choice would be Lord of the Rings online. LotRO has some of the best community I have seen in any game and it isn't that hard to learn.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler

I dunno to run it on a laptop, the games engine is far from good (and I did play it for 5 years until it went F2P). In fact my desktop back then had twice the average FPS in AoC compared to EQ2 and that tells a lot.

The game do have it's fun payed it 5 years after all, but I kinda feel that it is past it "best before" date by now. 

Still, it is F2P so it might be worth trying but I wouldn't use it as my first choice.

I used to know a lot of people that ran it on their laptops. Without knowing the system specs on his G/F's it's hard to say. Just figured its F2P so if it doesn't work out all that was lost was the time it takes to d/l. He did say they are on a very tight budget and they would need to purchase 2 copies of GW2 to play together.

• halpyhalpy Member UncommonPosts: 42

Anything wrong with Ragnarok Online (RO)? However, when you create a character, only the hair and hair color is customizable... and there are a limited amount of choices.

How about Vindictus? Instanced-based Action MMORPG. Might be hard to play with a built-in mouse on laptop

Elsword - Another instanced-based Action MMORPG, no customization on creation

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I agree with Aion, its is actually not a bad game and a good game to run a duo in. Lots of options, my wife hated Aions combat so we did not play it much, she prefered EQ2, but i agree with others EQ2 is aged now.  GW2 might be good I have never played it. You did not say what her gaming goals are? Explorer? Social, Achiever? and so on that is a good clue for us for advice too.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I would say age of Conan.  Great story, great setting, fun combat. And some great depth in character development.
  • grindingamergrindingamer Member Posts: 65
    I know alot of people that play with their familes, bf/gf in Atlantica Online. Guild Leaders/Kings/Queen of nations. Check it out!
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    She will like The Secret World and its cheaper than GW2.  Because it has modern day style clothing and she will enjoy customizing her character.