Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is their always a catch, a big nasty catch

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It all started with :

- Warhammer. Pre release, everything sounded great. Then They gave all the exp to scenarios ( instanced battle grounds ). No one ever seen it coming, this left RvR and quest zones dead. On top of that all the zones were small. Now this was the beginning point of catches....I got fooled because every other mmo before it didn't have catches. Some were not all that great, some were not our style. But at lease not catches or trickery.

- World of Warcraft was still going strong, then they added the dungeon finder and turned it into a lobby game...It was all down hill from there.

- EQ1,EQ2, Vanguard, Lotro, D&D Online all went free to play. Repopulated the world for a few months and now dead.

- About 5 more major releases with catches later. we get.......

- SWTOR- One giant movie to watch, why call it an mmo.

- The Secret world, see above.

- FF14, zoning and load screens out the butt even the cities are split, monster clutter every two feet that you cant think straight. Then you have dynamic events so you don't have to inter-react with anyone, and LFG tools for dungeons.... what a let down from FF11.

- GW2, see above.

- Defiance, is this an mmo ?

- Planet Side 2 is this an mmo ?

- Neverwinter, Cash grab, cash grab right from the-get-go.

- Elders Scrolls Online, Mega Server and bugs along with a long list of other problems that deserves its own topic.

- Wildstar, now if you look up the word obnoxious you would find this game. Totally annoying with short bullet quest. DOUBLE KILL !!!!....TRIPPLE KILL !!!!!

- EverQuest Next, this game is hyped even if the entire game is a secret, figure that one out ?....All the catches are a secret too :)

- ArcheAge, $150 for alpha....What !!....Ya.  Lets not forget it will have a Cash Shop.

Now before you pick apart any mmo on my list, please understand my overall point.....Their is a nasty catch to every mmo released.....AT LEAST ONE GAME BREAKER.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Looks like you have to take the good with the bad...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• midnitewolfmidnitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 64

I agree with the OP although I don't call the issues "catches"  rather they are just Flaws.

There really hasn't be a game since Everquest where you can just log in, play and advance through never ending content.  I mean it truly was an "Ever Quest"  I played for something like 2-3 years and in all that time and there where entire zones I had never once ever set foot in.  

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70

How are these considered "catches" also. I paid the 150$ for the Archeage alpha. but most idiots who argue about it. don`t know anything. you get 120$ worth of stuff and 30$ for alpha. its not PURELY for the alpha. and of course it`ll have a cash shop, it`s a F2P game.

Warhammer was a PvP game and you could level anyway you wanted, RvR,Questing or Scenarios (i had 3 maxed chars on War).

I really don`t get the point of this post. it`s just you bashing every mmo because they are not what you want. Well, MMOs just arent for you.

Just stick to RTS.FPS or ARPGs, w.e you`re into because there will always be something you don`t like when it comes to MMOs. Like right now, I love Archeage. but I hate the balance issues. but the good outweighs the bad.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I agree, no one has made a game as good as Vanilla wow.  I don't see any of your negatives in the early integration of  WOW.  People will argue Wow somehow ruined the industry but I would argue that in its original form it pretty much nailed everything and created a formula that even today companies are trying to replicate.  But they cant,  everyone has sold the farm to get people to play their game, including Blizzard. And all that crap is now packaged in new games from day one.

Dungeon finders > makes game easier

small zones heavy instancing  > easier to build, loses all sense of immersion

F2P > just trying to get people in your game spending any amount of money they can get from you

Neverwinter > cash grab , cash grab , cash grab and all the above

Defiance > your right not an MMO its an FPS with multiplayer

PlanetSide 2 > your right not an MMO

ElderScrolls > closest thing to not being annoying that's currently out there

FF14 > Little bit of everything that's annoying minus the F2P and cash shop game has potential though

SWTOR > Little bit of everything that's annoying still some good in there somewhere this game could of been great

Wildstar > don't know enough yet, played beta but performance was terrible and just didn't seem to flow right

Archeage > went F2P but it was built as a P2P so cant comment yet other than it will have an in game  cash shop which pretty much sinks it in my book.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Wraithstar

How are these considered "catches" also. I paid the 150$ for the Archeage alpha. but most idiots who argue about it. don`t know anything. you get 120$ worth of stuff and 30$ for alpha. its not PURELY for the alpha. and of course it`ll have a cash shop, it`s a F2P game.

Warhammer was a PvP game and you could level anyway you wanted, RvR,Questing or Scenarios (i had 3 maxed chars on War).

I really don`t get the point of this post. it`s just you bashing every mmo because they are not what you want. Well, MMOs just arent for you.

Just stick to RTS.FPS or ARPGs, w.e you`re into because there will always be something you don`t like when it comes to MMOs. Like right now, I love Archeage. but I hate the balance issues. but the good outweighs the bad.

ArceAge, Lets break down some math ( lets just look at it this way )

If a game was $60 ( with one month free ) +15+15+15+15+15+15 = $150 so you better like the hell out of the game for 7 months. Now lets add in the Cash Shop WITH A few things that would make life a little better and enjoyable, $150+50, that's $200 so you BETTER REALLY LIKE IT......Not this is taking into account paying full price for the game in the beginning. 

This is what anyone would call a catch, even if you like the game :)

But this topic is not about any game in particular.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by delete5230

Now before you pick apart any mmo on my list, please understand my overall point.....Their is a nasty catch to every mmo released.....

could say this about any online game  (mmos aside)  -- with the first GAME PATCH

patches always change games for better or worseimage

patches always annoy at least one person -- can't please everyone

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70

ArceAge, Lets break down some math ( lets just look at it this way )

If a game was $60 ( with one month free ) +15+15+15+15+15+15 = $150 so you better like the hell out of the game for 7 months. Now lets add in the Cash Shop WITH A few things that would make life a little better and enjoyable, $150+50, that's $200 so you BETTER REALLY LIKE IT......Not this is taking into account paying full price for the game in the beginning. 

This is what anyone would call a catch, even if you like the game :)

But this topic is not about any game in particular.

with the 150$ alpha pack you get 75$ worth of in game cash shop money and 3 months. that right there is worth it. if you just want to support then they add in all the other perks. It comes down to what you think of the game. I love Archeage i played russian version. i knew i would play it for a long time. it was a no brainer for me. Now for someone who isn`t into to mmos. or has any doubt about it, just don`t get it. There is no CATCH it`s all based on your decision they don`t say you have to buy it and noone forces you to.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    The larger the combination of things that you insist on, the less likely it is that any particular game can check every single box for you.  Your criticisms of those games are mostly game design choices that some people would like, and you have a bunch of different criticisms of different games.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    I think the main problem is that no one game will make everyone happy.  Game developers develop games that will be accepted by the most players because it means the highest potential for the highest profit.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Sorry you feel we are idiots for not feeling the same way you do about giving away 150$ for a free to play game :)

Edit : also OP your are right. There is always a some what of a **catch** in the mmorpg. I feel we have to look at the good side and bad side of what games offer now before we can choose what game to play these day's. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

- World of Warcraft was still going strong, then they added the dungeon finder and turned it into a lobby game...It was all down hill from there.

Nah .. downhill for you ... uphill for others. LFD made WoW into a better game for me.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    You personal pet peeves are not my big emergencies. Many of those games are excellent - almost all of them a good deal better then the original EQ. You likely have grown up and become more demanding. GW2/ESO/Wildstar - these games are all fun - if you look for the fun in games instead of the reason to hate them you will b e a lot happier.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO can fix the bugs!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"