Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is paying for alpha and beta access new?

SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
just curious. new trend or been happening awhile?

Comments

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Not new at all. Before companies would give out free alpha and beta access. Those people would then sell it to other people. Now the company actually makes money from it and gives these account to the people who actually want it and will provide a better experience for the game developer with testing.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    IIRC I paid $9.95 for shipping and handling of the original UO beta CD back in the day if that counts. Could be wrong though.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• SeneriusSenerius Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Ultima online when it was very first in beta was a paid beta.  Considering this was one of the first mmo's.  No it is not new.

We all can only be who we are Nothing more nothing less.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Senerius
    Ultima online when it was very first in beta was a paid beta.  Considering this was one of the first mmo's.  No it is not new.

It's not new, yet charging outrageous prices seems to be the norm of late, that is new.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    When I was living in Brazil I paid about $45 to have the SWG beta cds sent to me. I still have them actually .Wonder if they are worth anything.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Economics.   Although we might want to blame the big bad corporations..  there has to be a willing buyer.

I shouldn´t say a majority, but a lot of people are very stupid about being early or being first.  People camping out overnight to see Star Wars ´first´.... it was just a matter of time before gaming companies started capitalizing on it.    thinking about it, I am surprised movie theatres don´t charge double for opening weekend movies.

For those that said UO.. that is a bit misleading since it was only $9.99 and that was for them to ship an actual disk to you.  they probably lost money on the deal.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Senerius

It's not new, yet charging outrageous prices seems to be the norm of late, that is new.

I'm not sure how the prices are outrageous. I don't think I've seen an alpha/beta that you had to pay for where you didn't get a reward worth the money you paid (or more even). You pay $60 for a retail game on the day it's released. You pay $60 to pre-order the game and play a few days earlier. Then some games start throwing in virtual goods or even earlier access to the game for more money. Pay $75 for the game, random virtual swag, and play the game even earlier.

Obviously that "more money" is subjective as to whether it's worth it or not. Don't like the game? Not worth it. Love the game? Very worth it.

I just recently paid $100 to get early access to Galactic Civilizations III. Tons of people think that's outrageous but then again, with that $100 I get the game and all future DLC for free. Definitely worth it to me. Being able to access the game early on and have a chance to even provide opinions that might make a difference in the game I like are all just extra bonuses that add value to that $100.