Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMOs dead?

mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

I am a long time gamer and I have seen the birth and death of mmo games.  I am calling today the end of the mmo as I see it.

between the hackers and spammers, there is not much left to enjoy about these games.  game companies dont bother to put anti hack controls in their games, and it turns them into bot and hack garbage.

take ESO for example, I loved this game, I played the crap out of it, only to find some hacker group today who actually called themselves "advanced gamers." ~ seriously some noobs who need hacks to play a game think of themselves as advanced gamers?! lol

I dont think there is one game out there today or one that is in development that is not affected by hackers.  How people even play with hacks and think that is fun is beyond me.

and then on top of this, there is the constant gold spam, as once again no company can ever figure out how to handle this.  I always could think up some easy ways, but for some reason these million dollar game companies have zero clue.

personally I think this is pretty much the end of the mmo, that is for the people who actually play games without the need for hacks, I guess all the little hack nubs will probably still play until these servers dry up, but other then that, I think the majoprity of players wont be bothering with these games.

it would be nice if some companies actully got a clue how to program a game and put anti-hack code in it, but it seems like they dont have any clue about this either.  So if you want a real game experience I dont think the mmo is going to do it for anyone anymore.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A

People have been playing computer games 'wrong' for 3 decades now.  They need to beat a game, or their opponent, in any way possible. They are weak. They need your affirmation that they did something good.

They need your sympathy as well as your derision.

Make sure you leave some bits of the edge of the original name showing. Use a font that only roughly matches in style and size and insert their name. Then make a copy with the award skewed and off center and present it to them.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Probably better playing a game that doesn't have the hacking problems that ESO has OP? easier than triggering the end of all mmorg's everywhere for all humanity - scarey!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

no MMO's are not dead , it is most popular genre in gaming

today every game what request internet conection is called MMO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

every game what request internet conection is called MMO

if that isnt the truth ! image

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

MMO might be dead to you, but for most of us their not. As someone pointed out, cheaters/exploiters has been around for as long as games have existed and will continue to be around. Personally I dont feel i need to focus my energy on them rather than enjoying the games.

Never played ESO so dont know how bad it is, but i can imagine some games it will be more notable depending on game mechanics and type of game. But you always have single player games... cheer up you will feel better in a few days.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

there's still quite a few mmo's out there that are relatively free from these things.. usually it's just the hyped ones that suffer this.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    This genre is so far from death, MMOs shall out live us all !
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Dead? No. They still generate lots of money for their developers. But they just suck. At least they suck if you consider how much you have to pay to play them and what you get, compared to decent singleplayer games.

The recent MMORPGs are not the result of developers who want to create good MMORPGs. They are the result of developers who consider "how can I make the most money with the crappiest MMORPG".

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

"MMOs" are not dead.  "MMORPGs" are dead and rotting, and nearly decomposed.

Still, I expect this thread will be filled with responses saying that MMORPGs are not dead because they make money and have huahsduhajillion subscribers, without realizing that MMORPGs don't even exist anymore beyond a few small indie games.

• mep630mep630 Member Posts: 23

the point was, mmos are nothing but spammer and hacker garbage.  maybe you dont know any different but I sure do.

the way things are with dumb companies and dumb players, of course there will be mmos to play.  however your looking at more of the same garbage because neither side wisenes up.

its not just ESO, you will see it with every game.  Noobs who cant play, get hacks, and ruin the game.  You like playing with hackers? I have yet to see a hacked game go anywhere besides F2P trash.

then there is the gold spammers, spamming you any way they can, with companies acting like they are in cahoots with them, and not doing a dam thing to stop them.

if you like this trend then by all means keep being a sucker.  otherwise you can all start voicing concerns to the developers so they make games with anti-hack and anti-spam shit built in before it launches to a terrible mess.

and save your 12 year old comments, I dont give a shit what you all think.  I am telling you what I see, and its not like you can disagree with it, its just most of you are accustomed to hacking and spamming, and the majority of you are probably no skill hack noobs any how.

personally if you need to hack a game you shouldnt play, and for retards to hack games and consider themselves "advanced gamers' if fucking ironically hilarious.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by mep630

the point was, mmos are nothing but spammer and hacker garbage.  maybe you dont know any different but I sure do.

the way things are with dumb companies and dumb players, of course there will be mmos to play.  however your looking at more of the same garbage because neither side wisenes up.

its not just ESO, you will see it with every game.  Noobs who cant play, get hacks, and ruin the game.  You like playing with hackers? I have yet to see a hacked game go anywhere besides F2P trash.

then there is the gold spammers, spamming you any way they can, with companies acting like they are in cahoots with them, and not doing a dam thing to stop them.

if you like this trend then by all means keep being a sucker.  otherwise you can all start voicing concerns to the developers so they make games with anti-hack and anti-spam shit built in before it launches to a terrible mess.

and save your 12 year old comments, I dont give a shit what you all think.  I am telling you what I see, and its not like you can disagree with it, its just most of you are accustomed to hacking and spamming, and the majority of you are probably no skill hack noobs any how.

personally if you need to hack a game you shouldnt play, and for retards to hack games and consider themselves "advanced gamers' if fucking ironically hilarious.

You do give a shit what we think or you would have kept your thoughts to yourself. I dont think you understand games what so ever. Maybe quit the internet all together. Grow up a little and come back. 

You havent seen a hacked game go anywhere? WoW...ya only has 8m subs, ya nothing to see there right? 

WoW is hacked and spammed all the time and has some of the most powerful anti hack anti spam software on the market. They sue anyone that makes bots. This doesnt stop botters, it only makes them smarter.

Go to OwnedCore and check out all the bots and hacks, Blizzard monitors these and some of the employees help improve these bots. Honorbuddy, one of the biggest bots to date has been sued tons of times by blizzard and is still around.

The community will probably never get rid of botters as long as the people playing these games want them around, and yes its the players that want them around. They make more money from players than it costs to make the bots and get sued. So they stick around.

Blizzard makes a killing having bots in the game, every few months they do a massive banning, the next day sales go through the roof to buy new accounts. You should check out the hacker forums and see the comments, "had 20 accounts banned today, guess ill buy some more accounts..." botters make money from gold selling, gold sellers make money from players, etc, etc. 

Think to yourself really though, what is killing you from having botters around? They make materials very cheap, so people buy them up and sell the crafted items for a bigger markup. You might think its annoying but it actually helps the economy of the game very well. Controlling the AH is what really kills an economy, I use to be able to control the AH and jack up prices of items 3-4x, making millions off items that last week sold dirt cheap but because of everyone needs it I profit and everyone hurts for it. That is real abuse of the market. 

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Nope but your brain might be going by thread title.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    They aren't dead. They just aren't good anymore. Catering to casuals and making them single player arcade style has ruined what was once a great genre.
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

I don't think MMO's are dead exactly but i think my interest in them may very well be lol

i did play ESO as well through beta and i felt like a fool for buying it for $80 bucks for the horse and little extras and didn't change much of anything just helped me get around a bit faster i almost finished the story except the final quest chain was bugged at the time and a few minutes later i cancelled my sup not even 2 weeks in playing it felt like the game was still in beta with all the bots i was seeing and all.

it's hard for me nowadays to even consider subbing to a game for a monthly fee since i see stuff like PS+ is more worth the money yearly because of access to playing a lot of games online and freebies.

even sub to gamefly is worth more value to some or netflix ect....

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

OP yes

unless you like looking forward to waiting for "the next big thing" every 6 months and then to be disappointed and broke ...then rinse / repeat

but who am i to say whats good / bad for you ..try yourself and what ever you do dont follow the sheep..

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    They aren't dead. They just aren't good anymore. Catering to casuals and making them single player arcade style has ruined what was once a great genre.

I find it ironic that you blame solo players for the malaise but if it weren't for the overwhelming number of solo type gamers, there would be no MMO's at all.

But keep flogging that dead horse.