Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the differance between this and other space games?

KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
Whats the difference of this then say EVE Online?   Do you lose all your crap if your killed like in EVE?

Comments

• At least for me the most notable difference is you have direct hands-on control of your ship from your cockpit, just like those glorious space sims of old like Elite, Freespace, Wing Commander and X-Wing, rather than point n' click in space.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Whats the difference of this then say EVE Online?   Do you lose all your crap if your killed like in EVE?

Yes but like EVE there is insurance to compensate you for your loss. If your ship is insured you will get another of the stock model you insured. This includes if you have a Variant of a ship as well. The other major difference is unlike EVE you are not a ship you are an avatar that can not only get out of the ship and walk around but also walk around on board your ship kinda like SWG: JTL but in a lot more detail. There will be many more things for your avatar to do other than just pilot and shoot.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166

Chuck Norris tried to define what Star Citizen was and knocked himself out. 

SC will be a cornucopia of digital sci-fi pleasure.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

I'm hoping its not just another EVE. I gave up on that game after being ganked by a neg rep player in high sec space who blew up my mining ship just for kicks and grins and because he was bored (new player ganked by player with years experience). He then sent me couple mil in mail... gank fests are a total bore.

If this game offers more than that - I'll try it. If not...

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by cptndunsel
    I'm hoping its not just another EVE. I gave up on that game after being ganked by a neg rep player in high sec space who blew up my mining ship just for kicks and grins and because he was bored (new player ganked by player with years experience). He then sent me couple mil in mail... gank fests are a total bore.

Aside from being pew pew spaceship games, SC and E:D have very little in common with EVE. They will play very differently and you certainly won't be being ganked in 'safe' space by some bored high level player.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by wucks

Originally posted by cptndunsel

Aside from being pew pew spaceship games, SC and E:D have very little in common with EVE. They will play very differently and you certainly won't be being ganked in 'safe' space by some bored high level player.

You will be able to be attacked anywhere in Star Citizen but the penalties for doing so will be a heck of a lot more harsh than what happens in EVE. You will forfeit the insurance on your ship if you lose it doing something illegal and you will be tagged as an outlaw as well as have a Bounty put on your head. So no new ship and you'll be hunted by the UEE, local law enforcement and other players (Bounty Hunters). Suicide ganking for fun wont be very much fun at all.

Edit: Of course this only applies to UEE space. Other alien races may have similar laws as well in their space. There is of course Lawless Space as well where anything goes.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

The other space games you can play. Here you just donate money.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by apanz3r

beat me to it!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Originally posted by apanz3r

Originally posted by Knotwood Whats the difference of this then say EVE Online?   Do you lose all your crap if your killed like in EVE?
    You know, you can always wait until the game is finished. You don't have to pay anything until you see that there's a finished product. People are donating because they want to see a game like this really badly. They are doing so of their free will - nobody is forcing them to do so.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by apanz3r

Pretty much. This is a sinking ship, and I hope people get their money back or have legal recourse after it finally goes under the water.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The difference is SC is no more than barely a tech demo while EVE Online is real and available.

There is no Star Citizen game...

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Axxar

At least for me the most notable difference is you have direct hands-on control of your ship from your cockpit, just like those glorious space sims of old like Elite, Freespace, Wing Commander and X-Wing, rather than point n' click in space.

+100000... basically :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Axxar

At least for me the most notable difference is you have direct hands-on control of your ship from your cockpit, just like those glorious space sims of old like Elite, Freespace, Wing Commander and X-Wing, rather than point n' click in space.

+100000... basically :P

Do not place Elite or EVE in the same league as SC... that's like comparing Deus Ex 1 and Mass Effect 1 to Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

Oh and to the dude above who defended the game: Elite Dangerous is gonna simulate an entire galaxy and have AI on par with middle range players by what I understand, a living alterable universe with a economy affected by player actions ( in the online enabled version, you can even select to play SP but have the server universe so you affect and are affected by other player's actions). 100+ billion (that's with a b) stars vs 220ish, granted Elite will be getting boarding actions and planetary landings post launch but unlike it SC has yet to actually hit a deadline whereas Elite is on schedule and pretty efficiently run... so yeah... 80 euros for Elite with a expansion pass or 20-30 euros for a game that seems to be DNF-ing it.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    If you have money you will enjoy this if not then you will be helping those who have money. Simple
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA