Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC Arena Commander V.8 delayed

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

Like the title says it has been delayed. Was suppose to be out  May 29

Source

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing what the combat and ship physics were like. Is there an updated ETA?

Luckily, Elite's premium beta starts tomorrow so my space cravings will be sated.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

So this is the third time they're delaying this module?

They also announced the DFM launch on the 29th to undercut Elite premium by 1 day... I think it's karma they weren't actually able to do that. Roberts said he's not competing with Elite, so he shouldn't act like he is.

By the looks of it, they're struggling even if they have so many developers and so much development money... and this is just one module (it is however the most important one).

I'm afraid it will take them at least another 3-4 years by they time they put everything in the game they promised.

I'm not happy but I will still play it once it's actually playable.

..Cake..

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    He just says they are real close and gives a list of the bug that need fixing. He does say we will get daily updates on what is going on till it does come out.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

don;t hold your breath but please donate some more to fix the bugs

Blockers

• Vanduul Swarm – Display drivers can crash when Vanduul spawn or blow up
    • Lag in feedback and update of essential game events resulting in increasingly divergent multiplayer sync

Critical

• Battle Royale (Crash) – While Flying (Shader)
    • Camera – After respawn character is stuck looking up
    • Vanduul Swarm (Crash) – Shortly after missile lock
    • All Maps – Occasionally, when first spawning into the maps lasers and ballistic fire is invisible but can be heard when firing – they eventually appear
    • Crash on exit after returning from DFM match
    • Character is unable to exit DFM Aurora bed if helmet is on
    • Gforce animations are not playing on the pilot in any of the ships
    • Character and parts of cockpit interior vanish while accelerating
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I would be less concerned about the time and more concerned about the cost.

Employees get paid by the hour or bi-monthly and developers get paid well.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Arena Commander V.8 Daily Bug Update ~ May-29-2014

Greetings Citizens,

As promised, we are updating each day Arena Commander V.8 is delayed with a copy of the same bug list we track internally. Do not be too concerned that today’s list is longer than what appeared yesterday: it’s not unusual for additional bugs to be generated as we squash more serious issues. The news today is very positive: the programming team eliminated the major DirectX bug that was encountered yesterday and excellent strides are being made to put the game into a releasable state! Thank you for bearing with us; we know you’re here to play (and help us test this game!), and we’re eager to let you. We are anticipating having these issues resolved very soon.

Blockers

Dogfight Module – Multiplayer – Camera – After respawn character is stuck looking up
    Lag in feedback and update of essential game events resulting in increasingly divergent multiplayer sync

Critical

After respawning, the player immediately blackout, couldn’t get back into gameplay
    Character shakes and twitches when freelooking left or right in any cockpit
    Free look does not work in Single Player in the Hornet
    Server put into a bad state after round end, unable to accept further player connections or recover
    Aurora – Crash after 3 deaths from border in 3rd person
    300i does not seem to be able to lock / fire missiles in multiplayer
    Cockpit camera shakes when seated in DFM Aurora

Major

Dogfighting Module – Vanduul Swarm – All Maps – Animation – Missing flight animations for the pilot in the cockpit when flying the Aurora

Moderate

300i – The player character’s hands are contorted in the cockpit view
    Walk through railing, fall out of map after interacting with helmet pedestal

RESOLVED!

Vanduul Swarm – Display drivers can crash when Vanduul spawn or blow up
    Battle Royale (Crash) – While Flying (Shader)
    Vanduul Swarm (Crash) – Shortly after missile lock
    All Maps – Occasionally, when first spawning into the maps lasers and ballistic fire * is invisible but can be heard when firing – they eventually appear
    Crash on exit after returning from DFM match
    Character is unable to exit DFM Aurora bed if helmet is on
    Gforce animations are not playing on the pilot in any of the ships
    Character and parts of cockpit interior vanish while accelerating

Arena Commander V.8 Daily Bug Update ~ May-30-2014

Greetings Citizens,

The news today is positive! We’re pleased to report that we believe tonight’s internal Release Candidate resolves all of the bugs (pending testing) you read about last night, including the two critical “show stopper” issues. Arena Commander V.8 is looking more stable than before, and hopefully additional testing on this new build will not uncover more blocking issues.

What happens next? The Arena Commander team will be working through the weekend to test this build, and fix any issues as they are found. Next week, we will have another “go/no-go” meeting with the worldwide development teams. Our next update will be on Monday and we will continue to update you on any issues and their impact to the schedule then.

Even if tonight’s build is the one you end up playing, it needs to be put through its paces by QA to ensure that we haven’t introduced any new issues. We have team members from around the company scheduled to playtest this weekend in order to verify the integrity of the build.

Meanwhile, we’ve seen posts from some backers wondering why they’ve only seen images of the Hornet in Arena Commander. To put that to rest, Zane has captured images of all three ships in action! These are unaltered screenshots, taken within the game itself (from a camera in back of the character head.) We’re very proud of how this game is looking!

The team has also put together a short teaser showing some of what you’ll be playing soon. This, again, is 100% in-game footage. You’re looking at Arena Commander’s AI battling each other in real time! Check it out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Nzbjo8uxU

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

a couple of days more or less hurts no one, better some more fixes instead of a total crash fest.

If you have an itch for space today, play Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, Star Conflict, or even a bit of SWTOR

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Derek Smart's Desktop Commander ruined the word "Commander" in the title of any video game for me. Sadly, I am automatically applying a RONCO-esque infomercial voice to "SC Arena Commander" each time i read it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Derek Smart's Desktop Commander ruined the word "Commander" in the title of any video game for me. Sadly, I am automatically applying a RONCO-esque infomercial voice to "SC Arena Commander" each time i read it. 

SC Arena Commander Pocket Fisherman By Ronco!

Sounds about right.

This could end up being very interesting.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

holy cow, that actually reminded me of checking out what ever happened to Line of Defense, how is that game coming along? Looked awesome as a concept

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70

Well this should surprise almost no one. All the hype over this game is so overblown just like the budget will be. When the money dries up, and it will fast with 200+ people, they will drop this turd in an unfinished state that won't even come close to the promises they made. Then they will just declare the game a success because they suckered people into putting up 50 mil for nothing and Chris Roberts will move on to his next wonderful idea. Can't wait for that Wing Commander 2 movie bro. Coming to a crowd funding site near you in 2016...

Not surprised at all. It's well known that Roberts has a bad habit of over-promising and under-delivering, he's widely regarded as the Molyneux of space games.

I hope people that have donated get their AC without too much more delay, and that it was worth the wait.

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Not surprised at all. It's well known that Roberts has a bad habit of over-promising and under-delivering, he's widely regarded as the Molyneux of space games.

I hope people that have donated get their AC without too much more delay, and that it was worth the wait.

what? stop making up things no one ever said.

Not a single Roberts game "underdelivered" I played them all and every game was a gem.

which one flopped? Name one

Wing Commander series - an absolute blast

Privateer series - mind blowing open world space sim

Strike Commander - a gaming milestone that made history

Freelamcer - still played today by thousands of people on private servers

I didn't say any of his games flopped, no idea why you're claiming that.

Freelancer is commonly known as having promised features that were largely cut down or even removed by release.

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy I didn't say any of his games flopped, no idea why you're claiming that. Freelancer is commonly known as having promised features that were largely cut down or even removed by release.

So what are you saying dream small and deliver 100%?  What's wrong with dreaming big and maybe delivering maybe less than 100% especially if your less than 100% is still better than the other games of the same genre that deliver 100%.

Guess it is all about perspective and what actually gets done and how good it is, personally as a gamer I have stopped believing the hype and promises developers make. When I back or spend money on something it is because I hope the game will be half decent, I will enjoy it and feel I have money to burn.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Near unlimited budgets and feature creep are a death sentence for large software projects.  If they were smart they would put a end to new revenue until after launch and focus on trying to deliver what they already have promised.  They should have done that at 20 million in truth.  Developers with any experience know this but for some reason have a hard time doing what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't keep happening over and over again.  I guess they feel like they can somehow do it right this time. Yea right.  I admit it would be pretty hard turning down money being thrown at you like it has at this game.

I hope SC can deliver on the promises even if there is no way they can ever meet the hype but the more money people pour at this game the more doubtful I become what we are going to finally see come out the other side is going to be even close to what they are saying.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    So turning into the Fable 1 of space sims?

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

*Sigh*

When I look at this game I honestly don't see why people keep throwing more money at it.

Yes it does look good graphically. But those devs seem to really need to start putting their feet on the ground and look at things from a practical point of view. Instead of just delivering nice tales of how great it's gonna be in the end and asking for more donations.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

*Sigh*

When I look at this game I honestly don't see why people keep throwing more money at it.

Yes it does look good graphically. But those devs seem to really need to start putting their feet on the ground and look at things from a practical point of view. Instead of just delivering nice tales of how great it's gonna be in the end and asking for more donations.

you don't look at this "game"you look at a concept, a team, and a budget

you can believe they can pull off what is on the feature list or not, that is all

I say they can, they have top talent and a sufficient budget. All the rest is none of my or your business

sit back relax and wait, my 100$ bet is in the pot

Originally posted by DocBrody

*Sigh*

you don't look at this "game"you look at a concept, a team, and a budget

you can believe they can pull off what is on the feature list or not, that is all

I say they can, they have top talent and a sufficient budget. All the rest is none of my or your business

sit back relax and wait, my 100$ bet is in the pot

Considering this isn't an ideal case where it does not affect the industry and considering they've missed 2-3 deadlines already he is well in his right to make it his business because if this fails the kickstarter craze will likely die down severely which in turn means less good games all round get kickstarted.

Also you can also stand to mention they have no real game plan by what can be seen, adding features to the 1.0 release is a dumb, dumb idea, they should go with expansion content backers of a certain amount get for free, and their company is also a new one so all that top talent is jostling around trying find its rhythm.

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

Do you believe mankind can go no further that we are at the event horizon of programming? There will never be that eureka moment again i tell you!

We will not go where no man has gone before and Not see strange new worlds or code out new life.

ok enough fun it could pop or flop. But i remember when mr robert's pushed the bounderies years ago and gave me memories that i cherish.  So for that i have a little faith in it and not sweating it.

OTN-what ever happen to this guy who was making a engine using pixels and not polygons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Originally posted by Asm0deus

So what are you saying dream small and deliver 100%?  What's wrong with dreaming big and maybe delivering maybe less than 100% especially if your less than 100% is still better than the other games of the same genre that deliver 100%.

Guess it is all about perspective and what actually gets done and how good it is, personally as a gamer I have stopped believing the hype and promises developers make. When I back or spend money on something it is because I hope the game will be half decent, I will enjoy it and feel I have money to burn.

No that's not what I am saying at all.

If a person sets a timeframe they can't keep or expectations they can't match there should be no surprise when people say that person over-promises and/or under-delivers.
    That is all I'm saying.

Originally posted by demadil

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

Do you believe mankind can go no further that we are at the event horizon of programming? There will never be that eureka moment again i tell you!

We will not go where no man has gone before and Not see strange new worlds or code out new life.

ok enough fun it could pop or flop. But i remember when mr robert's pushed the bounderies years ago and gave me memories that i cherish.  So for that i have a little faith in it and not sweating it.

OTN-what ever happen to this guy who was making a engine using pixels and not polygons?

Elite Dangerous is doing that with trying to simulate an entire galaxy's worth of stuff (100+ billion stars or more) while Star Citizen is trying more to mash existing genres together so to put it another way: Braben is Android while Roberts is Apple.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by demadil

*Sigh*

I'm not personally invested in this and I don't presume to tell anyone what they need to do with their money.

But something doesn't become revolutionary just by repeating to yourself that it will be.

Technological advances are great, but we're talking about a game here, not a tech demo (hopefully). I'm simply sceptical as to whether they can deliver that gameplay, because they haven't shown nearly enough of it in my opinion.

Really, I hope with all my heart that they'll succeed to deliver the incredible space game they're promising. I grew up on those as well.

But if this crashes, people will need to run for their lives cus that sucker is going supernova.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!