Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe MMORPGs will be banned

2»

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Irresponsible stores selling ladders should be banned,people fall off ladders every day. It is such a tragedy

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

You think MMOs are going to be banned before guns?

1 case against MMOs against the hundreds of cases of guns every day...This is if you are actually try to blame the device instead of the person.

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66
    Omg what am i reading....
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

The solution could be - less gore, a bit less humanoid enemies. There may be Golems (Istaria), overgrown spiders/cave rats (Lotro), even evil undead (think of Nazgul) or dragons.  There could be more missions that encourage stealth/diplomatic solution. Example: there is Orcish outpost and it needs to be eliminated. You can kill all the Orcs and get 5 gold coins, but you can pour some drug to their ale so that they fell into deep sleep, get 25 gold coins and some nice equipment/title.

But would that make the game less violent? Or for that matter make people less violent who play it?

Meaning, is it the amount of violence that causes people to go crazy? Or the type of violence? Or does either of those really have an effect, or is the trigger for people being violent? In a way you almost supporting Jack Thompson with that statement. Because in reality that isnt the cause, and Id almost argue isnt even the trigger in almost all of the incidents.

What Im trying to say is your solution (or his) doesnt really "fix" anything. So why try and "fix" what isnt broken. Most of the people who go off the deep end, were on the edge before, or had already fallen off before video game could influence them. Video games become an easy scapegoat for the shortcoming and failings of society.

That and some people are just mentally ill, and we dont find out till they go crazy.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Vema

Someone told me "there's something wrong with anyone who does anything in 10 hour sessions"

like working.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Hokie

Edit: No reason for me to be an ass, blather all you want.

To the OP, you write with almost too much fluff.

And though I do agree we shouldnt stand around with out hands in our pockets. There isnt much to worry about. There are more people of voting age who game now, or have, than ever. So the chance of Jack Thompson actually pulling off some kind of law that has an affect of gaming is small indeed.

A hundred years ago it was movies, then comics, then cartoons, then rock and roll, then action toys, then rap music, then television, and now its video games. We can see how effective these "anti-" campaigns are.

This Jack Thompson is getting more press because hes anti-gaming than the message hes spouting out about. Meaning, I bet there area few lawmakers that know his name because of what hes against, but would be hard pressed to name exactly what are the specifics of his agenda.

Or to put it another way. Then know him because hes the current nut on the corner with a sandwich board, but no ones bothered to stop and listen to him.

Though.. alcohol was banned in the United States for some times at least. And almost all other drugs even world wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_of_drugs

So could it happen to something else? Yeap. Is it likely that Online Gaming will be banned? More than likely not.

And to enforce it.. would be a hell of a job.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

There really isnt going to be much outcry over video games with this one.  His mental state is too well documented, and to much of the focus and fight is going to be taken up my the pro/anti gun rights groups.  

Also there is to much of a conceptual jump from WoW to gun violence.  The general public likes their logical leaps to be nice straight lines, like "oh he shot people in CoD then he shot people in real life! therefore CoD made him shoot people in real life!"

WoW to a mass shooting isnt a clear enough or straight enough line to build a movement around.  

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Think i can sue a poster for giving me a embolism ?

oh and umm 

STFU... Slow To Find Understanding 

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Hokie

Edit: No reason for me to be an ass, blather all you want.

To the OP, you write with almost too much fluff.

And though I do agree we shouldnt stand around with out hands in our pockets. There isnt much to worry about. There are more people of voting age who game now, or have, than ever. So the chance of Jack Thompson actually pulling off some kind of law that has an affect of gaming is small indeed.

A hundred years ago it was movies, then comics, then cartoons, then rock and roll, then action toys, then rap music, then television, and now its video games. We can see how effective these "anti-" campaigns are.

This Jack Thompson is getting more press because hes anti-gaming than the message hes spouting out about. Meaning, I bet there area few lawmakers that know his name because of what hes against, but would be hard pressed to name exactly what are the specifics of his agenda.

Or to put it another way. Then know him because hes the current nut on the corner with a sandwich board, but no ones bothered to stop and listen to him.

Though.. alcohol was banned in the United States for some times at least. And almost all other drugs even world wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_of_drugs

So could it happen to something else? Yeap. Is it likely that Online Gaming will be banned? More than likely not.

And to enforce it.. would be a hell of a job.

There was a slight difference. One, damn near the whole nation was for prohibition. I dont think Thompson has more than a few thousand, or maybe a few ten-thousand behind him (which I doubt even that many).

And two. The idea of prohibition was that alcohol was the cause, or root cause of wife beating, vagrancy, poor work ethics, yadda, yadda, yadda. And when they banned it did those issues disappear? Nope. That was a major reason why it repealed. And thats why people like Thompson will never get more than a few thousand or ten thousand to back his nutty ideas.

Because the average American is not reactionary, especially when it comes to freedom of choice. I can prove it, because I can now, on the state level, legally smoke a bowl if I so choose. Who would have ever thought that....

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

The boy was a White Supremacist.

He was just mad that his White Privilege card, didnt work when it comes to getting women, since the black dudes were getting the blond chicks. go back and look at the manifesto.

So he gets mad and start shooting up the blond chicks as sellouts. Reminds me of hitler actually.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Think i can sue a poster for giving me a embolism ?

oh and umm 

STFU... Slow To Find Understanding 

For a second there I thought you had said enema. Cause if that was the case, yeah I think you'd have grounds for legal action. Assuming it was unasked for that is.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I didn't read every post and I don't know why games would be banned. However, it is an interesting thought but it is just that- a thought. I would laugh my butt off if anyone tried to ban games. They banned drugs and they are in use in every community. A prohibition on games would be just as stupid as banning anything else that is in demand. You would just have black market games.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Take a few seconds and think about what people do in a first person shooter.  If that's still legal I'm highly suspect anyone is going after MMORPGs anytime soon.

I'm killing nazis right now in Wolfenstein: The New Order. Is that legal?

(Great game btw, give it a try guys)

I am also playing Wolfenstein, in between rift runs in D3. It is a great shooter. The graphics is great, the scripting is great, the design is great.

And watchdog is coming out soon ... there are simply too many games to enjoy ....

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

Yep, we should ban MMOs. And video games in general. And movies or television shows with violence. Nothing but The Dick Van Dyke Show, Mary Poppins and Andy Griffith all day long.

We shouldn't require mandatory (free) periodic mental health examinations for public safety, as well as the happiness and safety of the individual themselves. I mean, an extra couple medical appointments at key life phases? That's far too big of an inconvenience.

I may be a depopulationist, but I don't want that goal accomplished by just randomly offing some kids at your local school, mall, or movie theatre.

- Nellus

This discussion has been closed.