Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let players kill bots

Mmorpgs should let the player kill bots if the game identify a player as a bot. The game have to be coded in a way so it will recognize the behavior of a bot and if it's recognize as a bot a player near the bots can target them and use a command or an ability which kills the bots and logs their character out of the game. The developer still have to ban the player, but this is a solution that will interrupt the bots greatly and reduce their income and they will eventually lose interest.

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    If they could identify and recognize behaviour as botting they won't need players to kill them They are having difficulty identifying bots and giving powers to players to kill bots will lead to abuse and loss of more genuine players who are legitimately farming.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    EDIT: Kitarad posted faster than me /EDIT

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

A scripted program does not "lose interest" in running. It simply keeps doing what it's doing until its controller switches it off.

If that program is creating a game account, logging-in and moving its auto-created "characters" around the game world according to a pre-programmed path and set of actions, it will keep doing that every time the account is banned.

THAT's the problem facing modern MMO game developers.

Make everything difficult to automate, and you'll end up losing half your "legitimate" players, because the game will be too irritating to play.

The 3rd-party goldseller problem is becoming more serious every year, because they become more sophisticated every year. Add to that the fact that you can easily and cheaply buy huge amounts of stolen credit card numbers on the internet (if you know where to look).

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

I think the 'lose interest' would come from the fact quite alot of gamers would take time from questing to kill the bots .. or as the bots might say 'grief them' lol

Bot's camped by players ;-) It'd be more a competition of who could kill the bot first, add in a Bot Kill ranking system. Bot Bounties .. have them as dailes hahahaha

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Make everything difficult to automate, and you'll end up losing half your "legitimate" players, because the game will be too irritating to play.

Can you explain.

I do not use any automation not provided by the game (such as numb lock to auto run or holding a mouse button to heavy attack...can't think of anything else automated) so not sure how making automation difficult will have any affect on legitimate players.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by kitarad
    If they could identify and recognize behaviour as botting they won't need players to kill them They are having difficulty identifying bots and giving powers to players to kill bots will lead to abuse and loss of more genuine players who are legitimately farming.

Exactly. Botters and macro users can put in variable times between actions and other things to dodge detection.

If they could detect bots perfectly, they'd just ban all the accounts attached to them instantly. But they can't and automatic bans usually lead to a large number of people wrongly accused.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I'm not 100% sure what we're talking about but self-scripted automation is pretty big in MUD games.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    if the game could reliably id bots there would not be any bots

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me