Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Mythica won't work

Back in the pencil and paper days of Dungeons and Dragons, occasionally, we players would come across a GM (i.e., gamesmaster, referee, etc) running a "God" game.  What a "God" game was is when the GM, in fits of megalomania, has god-like characters interacting with, and often upstagin, newbie first level characters.  Essentially, the fantasy is overblown by gods wandering about the game world doing this and that.  Mortal actions, of course, pale in comparison to the strengths of a god, therefore the games usually lost interest very quickly.

What Microsoft is doing with Mythica is making a "God game".  No doubt this will be no where near the level of megalomania that Bill Gates displays, but still this will ruin the sense of accomplishment in the game. 

Mythica is a bad idea for a MMORPG and will fail.

Comments

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Actually the reason why it most likely wont work is because its just going to be another game of repetitious endeavors that just lead to the same thing over, and over again. But what you said makes no sense, because they still level up, they're just more powerful, but whats the difference between them being some kickbutt immortal that just gets more bad and mean, then a noobie peasant that ends up becoming a knight. Just different names and different looks.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

First of all I want to say I know what you mean with the GOD MODE GMS but this is quite a different situation.

In the PnP RPG you are talking about GOD status is top notch content and mostly this status even is not defined by the rule set for an player. In mythica it only means your not starting of killing rats or ratmen. The differnce is the atmosphere you produce.

Too that mythica is one of the few coming MMOGs that is heading for small group/solo section which personally suits me well. Any I simply love the backgroud setting. I think it has the potenial and money backing to turn out well ;)

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

• JonnyGJonnyG Member Posts: 31

Let me start out by stating that I'm a moderator on a Mythica fansite so I may be a little biased.  But I think you're a little off base here.

Mythica is not going to make you a god to start with.  You start off dying and become an immortal.  You are tasked with earning worshippers to become a god.  So you will not start off as some all powerful god.  But you will not start off fighting mosquitos and rats either.  Instead you'll start off as a powerful character working your way up to godhood.
    Once you reach godhood you unlock the last stage of the game which is fighting fire giants in Muspelheim, as well as unlocking some unannounced meta-games related to community.  Here is a quote from game designer Hal Milton.

So basically we try to keep an experience thats focused and goal driven. You will never be at a loss for something to do. And when you finally transcend into godhood, you unlock not only our high game in Muspelhiem fighting the fire giants, but a suite of meta games that are basically where the community starts to truly define itself.
    Just my opinion.

Johannes Gunnbjorn
    Mythica HQ
    "Brutal" - Corel Dangel

JonnyG
    "Brutal" - Corel Dangel

• JonnyGJonnyG Member Posts: 31

I'm going to stick my opinion on this one too. Mythica is going to be using the private realms to try to make it so that its not just "a game of repetitious endeavors that just lead to the same thing over, and over again.". Here are a couple of quotes from Matt Wilson.

Some quests are what we call Epic Modules. These modules are ones that have an overarching story. They can also include keys to unlock a new section or an area to explore, like a new plane. Or, a critical story element could be uncovered -- one that everyone plays through the same, like killing a boss. Other realms, what we call our

Playscapes, are a little bit more random, not in how we develop them, but more in the way players play them. We call them Playscapes because they're meant to be replayed.
    Playscapes are private spaces that react to you. Different than other MMPs, or even some offline RPGs, when you enter this space, the AI has its own set of goals and objectives. It starts moving through its motions to achieve its goals right from the beginning. We're also putting a lot of goals and objectives and levers in there, sprinkled throughout. The AI will react to them and you as you start pulling those levers and doing those different objectives. We wanted goals that were harder to discover and accomplish in the Playscapes.

Also, this quote somehow wouldn't fit in above:

"These are definitely more complex than what we call our linear or Epic Modules,
    but they're also the ones that people can replay over and over and over again. Eac,
    h time the AI is going to be quite different."

From this I get that these private realms will be more than just the normal leveling treadmilll. They will incorporate changing goals based upon your accomplishments, AI that reacts, and even destructible environments. Definitely not more of the same. Of course if they only ship with a few of these private realms than you're 100% correct. But they say that they'll have plenty of content, we'll have to wait an see to confirm that though.

Johannes Gunnbjorn
    Mythica HQ
    "Brutal" - Corel Dangel

JonnyG
    "Brutal" - Corel Dangel