Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont know about you but I am having fun

Comments

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Yeah i was playing f2p until level 20 and was having such a blast i subbed last week.

People will cry it''s a themepark but there is so much more you can do now, you don't really have to follow the questline.

-

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I had a lot of fun with this game as well but once I hit the comms grind for PVP gear at level 55 on two chars, it lost its luster.  Glad to hear you are having fun.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by noncley
    I am glad you are enjoying yourself. Personally, I found it one of the most disappointing, cynical and shallow mmos I have ever played. It is a very limited, very directed themepark game which, when it was launched, had an unfinished end-game. It wasn't helped by a dishonest marketing campaign which was lead by developers and spokespeople who were open in their contempt for player wishes. No character choice made any difference to the story, no decision changed where you were supposed to go next or who you were supposed to fight next. There was very little to do except follow the story laid out for you and, unlike many other people, I found the writing of those stories to be of no higher quality than bad fanfiction and the acting to be repetitive and strained. There was a pleasure, long delayed, that came after launch when EA realised that the game was a grotesque commercial failure and then developers responsible were fired one by one, especially  Daniel Erickson. I wonder where he is now? However, I digress. If you are enjoying the game, I'm pleased for you. Tell us more of what you enjoy as you proceed through the game.

Actually, I dont think you are glad they are enjoying themselves.    

Then you are very wrong. I like people to be happy. And just because I was unhappy with a game does not mean I feel a loss when other people are happy with it.

You delighted in people losing their jobs because you didn't like a game, and are still ranting about it several years later.  

No, I am celebrating bad developers losing their jobs because they made a bad game and then lied about it - not because I didn't like it. That's quite clearly stated in my post. Perhaps you misread it or English is not your first language.

Your last sentence is obviously fishing for future negativity about the game.

No it is not obvious because it is not true. If the guy is enjoying the game why shouldn't he tell us more about it? Perhaps he might attract more people like himself who would enjoy the SWTOR experience. 

SWToR is probably the #2 most profitable MMORPG in the west.  

'Probably'. Facts you make up your head in a rage because someone said something bad about a game in which you are emotionally vested are not 'facts'.

Tons of people like it,

Are you referring to their weight? Don't be fattist, hater.

and its not that much different than it was at launch.  

Apparently a lot of people say the game has indeed changed a lpt - and for the better. One massive difference that you don't seem to have noticed is that it's now FTP. If you don't think that's a major change since launch then I think there may be something wrong with you.

Time to get over your bitterness and move on.

I recommend you take your own advice. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by reeereee
    I am glad you are enjoying yourself. Personally, I found it one of the most disappointing, cynical and shallow mmos I have ever played. It is a very limited, very directed themepark game which, when it was launched, had an unfinished end-game. It wasn't helped by a dishonest marketing campaign which was lead by developers and spokespeople who were open in their contempt for player wishes. No character choice made any difference to the story, no decision changed where you were supposed to go next or who you were supposed to fight next. There was very little to do except follow the story laid out for you and, unlike many other people, I found the writing of those stories to be of no higher quality than bad fanfiction and the acting to be repetitive and strained. There was a pleasure, long delayed, that came after launch when EA realised that the game was a grotesque commercial failure and then developers responsible were fired one by one, especially  Daniel Erickson. I wonder where he is now? However, I digress. If you are enjoying the game, I'm pleased for you. Tell us more of what you enjoy as you proceed through the game.

Actually, I dont think you are glad they are enjoying themselves.    You delighted in people losing their jobs because you didn't like a game, and are still ranting about it several years later.  Your last sentence is obviously fishing for future negativity about the game.

SWToR is probably the #2 most profitable MMORPG in the west.  Tons of people like it, and its not that much different than it was at launch.  Time to get over your bitterness and move on.

I dunno, I think it has improved a lot since launch.

Yes, they have made a lot of good changes. However, I - for one - wish those changes had been integrated into the game at launch. 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

'Probably'. Facts you make up your head in a rage because someone said something bad about a game in which you are emotionally vested are not 'facts'.

Who said I am emotionally invested in the game?  You are the one who saw some positivity about the game and had to piss in people's cornflakes, not me.

FACT:  SWTOR made $139 million in micro transaction revenue.  Thats not including subs, and more than any other mmorpg.  Where I say 'probably' is because FFXIV might be up there because of all its box sales.  Obviously WoW is #1.

Who said I am emotionally invested in the game?  You are the one who saw some positivity about the game and had to piss in people's cornflakes, not me.

Fact: SWTOR did NOT make $139M in microtransaction revenue in 2013. That's a figure provided by digital metrics analysts, Superdata who said, quite clearly, this figure was only an estimate based on figures provided by EA and which have not been independently audited.

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/US-digital-games-market-update.png

However, ultimately you cannot be so emotionally fragile that criticism of a game makes you irrational and abusive. I can't talk to you anymore. I think there's something wrong with you. Bye.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I've played this game on and off since headstart. It's an OK game and I'd suggest to ignore forums - [mod edit]
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Nice to see a positive post about this game , I must admit I was a little disappointed at launch , maybe I was expecting a SWG replacement .. it didn't happen. I have since gone back to play it again and accepted that it is what it is , which is a rather fun ( if never going to be SWG ) game. So glad you are enjoying it OP ! :)
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by Malabooga

FACT:  SWTOR made $139 million in micro transaction revenue.  Thats not including subs, and more than any other mmorpg.  Where I say 'probably' is because FFXIV might be up there because of all its box sales.  Obviously WoW is #1.

Really? Its now a FACT? rofl

Show us some FACTUAL OFFICIAL EA INCOME for SWTOR.

Then it will be a FACT.

What you have is various internet BS.

Will the mods finally start deleting posts that state this, as it has gone to truly obscene lenghts.

The only one talking BS here is you. There was a post on these boards regarding MMO revenues WITH links to numbers a while back. TOR had 139 mill from the cartel market not counting active subs. It ranked  behind  WoW if i recall correct.

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/US-digital-games-market-update.png

Just to be fair, the figure quoted comes from a Superdata 'ESTIMATE' - Superdata, a digital revenues metrics service, says quite plainly and definitely that this figure is an 'estimate'.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

just out of curiosity, are you a free to play player or did you subscribe? Because I'm thinking about giving this game a go but I hear all the horror stories about this game being unplayable if you are f2p.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    I might have to give this game another try one of these days. KOTOR 1&2 were my favorites back in the day. I really miss the story.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

When I burnt out on GW2 I hopped back into SWTOR for a couple months. Finally got to play the Republic side and some of the new stuff they added over the last two years is pretty neat. Only bother was I kept trying to dodge. :)

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

... Only bother was I kept trying to dodge. :)

This is what happened to me, too.

It's a solid game to jump into. What I like about it is you can do a few different things depending on how you feel: star fighter thing (I suck too and I'm used to War Thunder for my aerial combat fix), battle zones, instances, questing. Those are the basics. You can play a lot, or for just an hour and have fun.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    WHAT!!!! WAIT people saying positive things about swtor on the forums what is the world coming to .glad your enjoying it op im well into ESO at the moment but looking forward to going back sometime love the companion quests especially kira
  • xanderxainxanderxain Member UncommonPosts: 19

Im sorry, I dont remember you asking the internet's permission to enjoy this game. Youre grounded.

Joking aside, great game. I ,sadly, need my group of friends to play with to really enjoy any mmo. So once they moved on, so did I.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by vgamer

just out of curiosity, are you a free to play player or did you subscribe? Because I'm thinking about giving this game a go but I hear all the horror stories about this game being unplayable if you are f2p.

If you want to do endgame then yes it's unplayable, pretty much everything else is open though, with the usual inconveniences f2p games throw in to try and get you to spend money.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

This game is now what it should have been at 1.0

really, all the must haves of a launch product are now in.

from here, it can only get better. Game needs to become more open, more realistic, more immersive.

Planets revamps, flying mounts, day night cycles and the like. Bigger maps.

Damn I want Ord Mantell 10 times bigger the size, not a "starter planet".

Tattooine, get rid of the damn exhaustion zones, let me ride through the desert on a 300% speed physics enabled moddable speeder

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Those sound like great ideas Doc but I doubt it will come to fruition.The no exhaustion thing would be nice to be able to take off and not worry about that. That is a cop out way to prevent you from free movement also the water has that same exhaustion limitation.
    Chamber of Chains
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by DocBrody

This game is now what it should have been at 1.0

really, all the must haves of a launch product are now in.

from here, it can only get better. Game needs to become more open, more realistic, more immersive.

Planets revamps, flying mounts, day night cycles and the like. Bigger maps.

Damn I want Ord Mantell 10 times bigger the size, not a "starter planet".

Tattooine, get rid of the damn exhaustion zones, let me ride through the desert on a 300% speed physics enabled moddable speeder

uh i dont like flying mounts they tend to make ground mounts obsolete and ruin wpvp... but i defenitely agree on that planets should be bigger.. probably wont happen but they could atleast revisit them so that we get to see more of them than just a small piece.

letting us use our ships to explore space would also be a huge thing i think alot could enjoy

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Would kill for the next xpac to be a massive sanbox area with elites, rares, dalies etc.

Sort of like TI in WoW but on a planetary scale.

Players would flock back.

PS - Oh yeah and make some more race options like Wookies etc

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

If you want to do endgame then yes it's unplayable, pretty much everything else is open though, with the usual inconveniences f2p games throw in to try and get you to spend money.

I'd rather draw the line between single and multi instead of levelling and endgame.

If you plan to play it as a singleplayer game just for the story (equip what you can at the moment, trashing/selling everything else, don't even care about the market or those other players around, no grouping), it's more or less fine with the current model. The less xp you get will be a hassle on higher levels, but there are minor xp boosts, and you won't need to pile up the money anyways so you can buy those by the dozens :)

If you plan to do anything more beyond the story, well... Crafting / economy is gated by the crew skills, by the less inventory (and no bank for f2p, holding the mats can be a logistic nightmare), and by the less GTN slots (AH in TOR). You can unlock those restrictions with purchases, but even then you'll bump into the money cap which is un-liftable. So in the end, with lots of purchases you can craft just for the fun of it, but not getting "rich", and also you can't play the market without the funds. :)

Group play. In Starfighter you'll be the content for the subbers (I think the proper term is cannon fodder :) ). In WZ you'll be even less without the proper gear. In FP you'll drag the whole team down  for the same reasons. You can purchase passes and gear unlock, buy medical probes, buy an early speeder license so the team won't have to wait for you all the time, but still, there are many group play hinderances that are not unlockable (like the chat restriction, fleet pass and quick travel, and no sprint on the early levels, no mail, no direct trade so no item movement).

TOR is (admittedly) not a "real" f2p, it's more like a trial. For a decent gameplay you need to subscribe. For your question, nope, it's definitely not unplayable as f2p, just very annoying :)

(dunno if massively links are allowed here or not, but there was a f2p experiment article series, a good read if you plan to jump into TOR as a f2p player, has some nice tips too for the start. Here's the conclusion piece: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/03/hyperspace-beacon-the-final-swtor-free-to-play-experiment-fo/)

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I'd rather draw the line between single and multi instead of levelling and endgame.

If you plan to play it as a singleplayer game just for the story (equip what you can at the moment, trashing/selling everything else, don't even care about the market or those other players around, no grouping), it's more or less fine with the current model. The less xp you get will be a hassle on higher levels, but there are minor xp boosts, and you won't need to pile up the money anyways so you can buy those by the dozens :)

If you plan to do anything more beyond the story, well... Crafting / economy is gated by the crew skills, by the less inventory (and no bank for f2p, holding the mats can be a logistic nightmare), and by the less GTN slots (AH in TOR). You can unlock those restrictions with purchases, but even then you'll bump into the money cap which is un-liftable. So in the end, with lots of purchases you can craft just for the fun of it, but not getting "rich", and also you can't play the market without the funds. :)

Group play. In Starfighter you'll be the content for the subbers (I think the proper term is cannon fodder :) ). In WZ you'll be even less without the proper gear. In FP you'll drag the whole team down  for the same reasons. You can purchase passes and gear unlock, buy medical probes, buy an early speeder license so the team won't have to wait for you all the time, but still, there are many group play hinderances that are not unlockable (like the chat restriction, fleet pass and quick travel, and no sprint on the early levels, no mail, no direct trade so no item movement).

TOR is (admittedly) not a "real" f2p, it's more like a trial. For a decent gameplay you need to subscribe. For your question, nope, it's definitely not unplayable as f2p, just very annoying :)

(dunno if massively links are allowed here or not, but there was a f2p experiment article series, a good read if you plan to jump into TOR as a f2p player, has some nice tips too for the start. Here's the conclusion piece: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/03/hyperspace-beacon-the-final-swtor-free-to-play-experiment-fo/)

Thanks a lot, both of you. I guess I'll just play it for the story then.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Thanks a lot, both of you. I guess I'll just play it for the story then.

If I may suggest, go for the Agent on the dark side, maybe the best storyline in the game. For the good guys I'd say the Knight ('cos who doesn't want to be a jedi knight, right? :) ) but there's no common agreement on that, some say the Knight storyline is too predictable and plain. I like it, personally.

And don't be discouraged by my previous post, go and group up while you play (I mean, even if you're falling behind, that will be their problem in the end, lol), there are some really good Flashpoints in the game, it worths doing them at least once. Same with Starfighter, it's fun for short sessions, and even if you drag your team down, who cares if you're having fun? :)

• masoniconemasonicone Member UncommonPosts: 39

give it a week or two op and then you'll see how shallow and hollow tor is. and how tor is only still around for ea to milk players with the p2w cartel market.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Yeah, OP, I've been hearing from vets that returned to the game that it's finally getting the content to make it a more enjoyable experience.  Being a complete Star Wars geek myself, I'm half tempted to dive back in.