Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moved to ecuador

mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31

I am waiting for the container to arrive -- with my PC. I was playing Guild Wars and 

EQ2.... Will I still be able to play and if so on the same server?

this is something I never even gave a thought to before the move!

i was not sure that this was the correct forum.... If not please move this question.

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Wow I wish I could live there too.

sounds great,  but sounds like slow Internet connection

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Most likely, yes.  Nowhere in the Americas has a sufficiently high concentration of cybercriminals to really justify an IP block, and enough of Latin America is doing well enough economically that I'd think there would be some money in selling games there to legitimate users.  The only real catch that I see is if a game has a Spanish language version with a different publisher and they have some sort of agreement to block IPs in each other's target regions.

For Guild Wars in particular, you can select which servers you'll play on without regard to where you are in the world, so even if you wanted to play on the Japan or Korea servers, you could--and with characters that previously played on other servers.

• mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31

Thanks for the replies!

will I be able to continue from where I left off- same character s?  Same server?

Internet in Cuenca Ecuador  is pretty good! That was a 'whew' moment lol.... Come on down it is awesome!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I was living in Brazil there were no IP blocks that I recall. I remember telling my husband the one country in South America that does not speak Spanish you had to go there huh . Then he takes me to Spain lol and I was speaking Portuguese mostly but people were so kind they would try to understand my pigeon Italian-Portuguese. My husband is Italian. 

When I lived in Brazil  they had cable later only, started with dial up this was like in 2000 I was still playing Everquest. Trakanon raids were a horror I would stand facing a wall so I would not disconnect. I am sure Ecuador is much better in 2014 than Brazil was in 2000. While you are there make sure you visit every place you can because you will regret  it or else.

Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by mappam

will I be able to continue from where I left off- same character s?  Same server?

In Guild Wars, you aren't tied to a server, so yes, you'll be able to continue with your same characters.  I'd expect to be able to keep the same characters on the same servers in most other games, too.

One concern that I would have is higher latency, as you're farther away from the servers that you're playing on.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    My wife is from Ecuador and her parents and much of her family current live there.  There internet is decent and you can log onto many games.  She and her family are from Guayaquil and I am not sure how far that is from you.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by mappam

I am waiting for the container to arrive -- with my PC. I was playing Guild Wars and 

EQ2.... Will I still be able to play and if so on the same server?

this is something I never even gave a thought to before the move!

i was not sure that this was the correct forum.... If not please move this question.

Just wondering, why did you move and from where?

Thanks again for all the info and replies!we also lived in Brazil so I really GET the Portuguese to Spanish  thing... But we lived there in late 70's ... No net then lol.

we are retired and the cost of living here is at least half what it was  in Florida.  Lots of other reasons as well.

Guayaquil is on the coast and we are in the Andies mountain area... About 3+ hours away.

hope I remembered to answer all your questions? I can't wait for container to arrive with my PC plus all our other stuff... Thanks again -  Pam

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    I don't know if you've considered writing a blog about being an expat gamer, but I'd definitely be interested in reading it. I'm going to be moving to either Cuenca or Medellin in a year, and there just aren't many blogs that cover gaming-specific questions like the one you just asked. Most of the blogs I've found are just the general real estate and taxes fare (written with retirees in mind), with bits and pieces on culture, neighborhoods, etc. I'm not even sure what the transition is going to be like, so it'd be hugely helpful to follow someone with similar interests as they settle in.

Jen I had not even thought about that!

send me a PM and I will give you my email. I would be happy to chat with you. We will not get our container for about another month - so I will not have gaming info til then... Can't wait!!

Pam