Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK, so it's not the power supply

2»

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by syntax42
    Originally posted by grndzro

Yes ram would give an error code if it is toast every time. Barring a short in the ram which would not allow system start up.

Not necessarily.  I've seen bad RAM cause a wide range of issues.  Anything from causing the system to not respond to the power button, random crashes, or simply being invisible to the system as if there were no DIMM in the slot.  Troubleshooting bad RAM takes patience and you can't rely on it causing beep codes every time.  

We aren't talking about an iffy stick of ram. We are talking about a non start up issue. Running a memtest on his ram is impossible.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by grndzro Yes ram would give an error code if it is toast every time. Barring a short in the ram which would not allow system start up.
    Not necessarily.  I've seen bad RAM cause a wide range of issues.  Anything from causing the system to not respond to the power button, random crashes, or simply being invisible to the system as if there were no DIMM in the slot.  Troubleshooting bad RAM takes patience and you can't rely on it causing beep codes every time.  
    We aren't talking about an iffy stick of ram. We are talking about a non start up issue. Running a memtest on his ram is impossible.

I agree with Syntax, I've seen bad RAM do a lot of strange things it ~shouldn't~ do. I wouldn't rule it out just because it isn't beep coding like it should.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by grndzro Yes ram would give an error code if it is toast every time. Barring a short in the ram which would not allow system start up.

I agree with Syntax, I've seen bad RAM do a lot of strange things it ~shouldn't~ do. I wouldn't rule it out just because it isn't beep coding like it should.

I was a Dell L3 tech for 4 years. The symptoms pretty much rule out a ram problem. IMO it's cpu/mobo/capacitor/vrm related.

I have never seen ram spontaneusly go fubar. it either works or it dosent. If it's borderline functional it craps out at windows boot or throws an error code.

Replace system.

I was a Dell L3 tech for 4 years. The symptoms pretty much rule out a ram problem. IMO it's cpu/mobo/capacitor/vrm related.I have never seen ram spontaneusly go fubar. it either works or it dosent. If it's borderline functional it craps out at windows boot or throws an error code.Replace system.

Spoken like the guy who sent back my broken Dell 3 times swearing it worked ok... =)

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

If it turns off within a second of powering it on, it's *always* your cpu fan. The only thing that would shut off a computer that quickly is if it's getting too hot. That could be cooling compound not being spread perfectly.

Now, if it was staying on longer than a second, I would say it's something like a bad expansion board (literally every device plugged into your motherboard can lock up your motherboard and keep it from booting - even saw a keyboard do that once). In which case, you can test by unplugging one, see if it'll stay up longer, repeat until it stays up.

I also have seen that with a short circuit. My computer can't sit on carpet, because of a minor short with the case. If I put it directly on carpet, it'll turn off in about 5 seconds. If I put it anywhere else, it runs like a champ. Never bothered to fix. :)

Originally posted by reillan
    If it turns off within a second of powering it on, it's *always* your cpu fan. The only thing that would shut off a computer that quickly is if it's getting too hot. That could be cooling compound not being spread perfectly.

You know, I have actually booted a computer with no heat sink on the CPU. Turning on a computer and going through the boot cycle isn't exactly very CPU intensive. I don't recommend doing that, but I am pretty much saying that it's not *always* the CPU fan, and that is almost certainly not what would shut down a computer within one second.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

A server I worked on today ended up having the same symptoms described by the OP.  It would turn on all the fans for a few seconds, then turn off for five seconds.  It would continue that cycle until power was removed.  The motherboard ended up being the culprit.

I'm not saying the OP's issue is definitely the motherboard.  It could be any component in the case, which is why proper troubleshooting needs to be applied.  Perform any test you can think of before replacing a component or you'll just waste money on new components. 

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

look at the mother board are the capicitors burnt out , if your good a sodering you cold get a bag of 200 for a few bucks and actually repair it.....

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's the mainboard 95% sure. Probably some capacitors are dead/nearly dead. Check them around to see if any are bulged or leaking.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Thanks guys, a couple more folks have looked at it, all are agreeing its the mother board. Thing is, if I replace it, I should replace the processor and RAM, which since the computer is 5 years old, just means it's time for a new computer.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Thanks guys, a couple more folks have looked at it, all are agreeing its the mother board. Thing is, if I replace it, I should replace the processor and RAM, which since the computer is 5 years old, just means it's time for a new computer.

Yup.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.