Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So many posts like these stating that AJ's review is just "attention whoring" to get ad revenue.  I have to ask...did you even watch the review?

His review actually points out SEVERAL things that are wrong with the game at both a design and polish level, with video evidence.  It's not like his opinion is unfounded.  You may disagree with this final score, but calling his review just "attention whoring" is kind of ridiculous.

Many of his points are valid, and some are complete bullshit. Like the horse cost and how hard it's to make money when bosses drop only 1g. I had 20k gold at lvl20 after buying a bank upgrade, couple of inventory upgrades and having resetted skillpoints once. How the FUCK is this possible if it's so hard to make money? I made my money by leveling, no use of guild store.

Also his complaint about mediocre graphics are questionable, since I am running the game on max settings and it looks absolutely fantastic, and I'm not talking about a matter of opinion on art style, but hard fact of TONS of detail on the world regardless of anyone's opinion, and high resolution textures.

I'd like to see his review where he solo's the solo content too, since he's going through it with the girl and has good time agreeing with the chick about the problems they have with the group leveling, when the quests are solo stuff. I agree here the quests SHOULD be flawlessly cooperative stuff if you so choose, but they are designed as solo content, and the coop part does not work unfortunately. I however play the quests as solo like most of the player base (dont try to deny this, just play the game and see most of the people running alone on the quest zones), and find no problem there.

His vid is already slipping off my mind but I'm pretty sure he didnt even talk much about the real group MMO content like the actual group dungeons, or even pvp except for few words, why is that? Because he was leveling together with the chick and the phasing fucked that up, and that's what reflects to everything what he has to say. I do not disagree with that, it's just that these games are played by so much more ways than the one Angry Joe took this time with the chick.

If you are going to review a mmorpg like you would a single player game, then dont. Mmorpg has a lot more wider variety of audience and people who plays it, so going one narrow style is going to leave everyone else out, while it's fine in Titanfall where there's only one way to play. I dont play like Angry Joe, and I dont find the same problems, so why should his review qualify as some universal truth of the game?

TLDR; I still havent encountered most of the problems Angry Joe claims in his review, except for very few, so why should I take his review as somekind of universal truth when I would be just lying to my self if I did? He tried to coop with some chick, had troubles, now the game sucks. What about me who likes to solo the solo content (no problems there) and do group content as group content? Yep, the whole game sucks because trouble were to be had with the chick when cooping under max level.

Fact is, I wasnt even looking forward to this game, you cant find me hyping this game in my post history, I expected this game to be mediocre. I even let the game sit on wraps for almost 2 weeks after launch because I could not care. Then I installed it, and now I'm positively surprised. But I would not be, if I was a "new gen kid" who need the fastest mount after 2 hours of gameplay or otherwise it's the fucking most expensive thing in MMO history if it took more than 3 days to collect gold for it (3 FUCKING DAYS IN A MMORPG, THREE (3) - IN A MMORPG - TOO MUCH YES? Afterall you are supposed to get everything in under a week in a mmorpg and then quit aye?).

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by laserit

The guys an entertainer.  He showboats, he's good for a couple laugh's, power to him

I have to wonder how much of his review are of his own experience and thoughts and how much is from reading forums like this and just going with the flow.

Personally:  I cant take him as a serious game reviewer.

It doesn't matter that he's an entertainer, he played the game and found some serious flaws in it, not meeting the MMO standards he set for himself. He shows the game footage, the bugs the mechanics that fail, that's not from other people's opinions read on a forum somewhere. Just look at what he shows, his rating is his own.

He doesn't need to be a "serious game reviewer" to have a point, several points actually.

I stand by my comment

His review is a photo copy of all the forum critics surrounding the game.  What happened to the good ole days where you had to wait at least a month before you would get a serious MMORPG review? What's the percentage of the game he experienced? How many hours he put in? How many quests he complete? how far did he play each faction? each class?

Might as well watch the first 15 minutes of a movie and give a full scored review. Yes it might be obvious the movie sucks after the first 15 minute's but if you don't watch the whole thing you really aren't doing your job and you cheapen your review. 

Again I'm not criticizing his opinion but it's just that  "opinion" 

The final score he gave is irrelevant and meaningless as a professional review.

The score is not "irrelevant and meaningless", it is however subjective.

If you had watched his videos in the past you would know Joe forms his own opinions about a game after extensive gameplay, this guy plays these games to destruction before making these video's which is why he doesn't churn them out as fast as other youtube "reviewers". He has also put up some positive ESO video's and the AA ran a lot of PvP events. If you knew anything about the man you would know this.

You are clearly criticizing his opinion, saying your not does not clear you of this.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Would it be terribly mean of me to suspect that the number of views Joe's getting is in all probability higher than what the game's population will be after the free month is up. Dang it ! I said it there awfully bad of me wasn't it ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Would it be terribly mean of me to suspect that the number of views Joe's getting is in all probability higher than what the game's population will be after the free month is up. Dang it ! I said it there awfully bad of me wasn't it ?

Hah!! since when guessing that new MMO would have  a huge drop in subs is considered being mean?

Even i agree with you that this game is going to witness a huge drop in subs in couple of months. It is just common sense.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Mean, perhaps, but sometimes things are funny because their also true image

ESO is off to an awesomely bad start, the population of the game as a consequence is liable to taper off very quickly, unless.. Zenimax really get a move on with the bug fixes and grouping/phasing issues in the game, but with the sheer number of them, i really have to wonder, can they? and thats before the whole bug wackamole thing is taken into consideration image

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Guys its all over....Angry Joe said so. BTW the same people posting the negative or just above average reviews are the same tools hating ESO cause they had the audacity to charge 15 $ a month.  Remember to look at their history.....We go through this stuff every freaking MMO start its funny! DOOM, GLOOM. I know the future!  
  • OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Phry

Mean, perhaps, but sometimes things are funny because their also true image

ESO is off to an awesomely bad start, the population of the game as a consequence is liable to taper off very quickly, unless.. Zenimax really get a move on with the bug fixes and grouping/phasing issues in the game, but with the sheer number of them, i really have to wonder, can they? and thats before the whole bug wackamole thing is taken into consideration image

Did you see the HUGE 1st major content patch with a gazillion fixes? Pretty good stuff.  Please all you haters tell me something that is going in ESO thats has not happen to any other MMO at start hmmmm? 

Originally posted by OldMMOGamer
    Guys its all over....Angry Joe said so. BTW the same people posting the negative or just above average reviews are the same tools hating ESO cause they had the audacity to charge 15 $ a month.  Remember to look at their history.....We go through this stuff every freaking MMO start its funny! DOOM, GLOOM. I know the future!  

No he never said so. You are saying so.

If you think majority of players hating on ESO are those who have problem paying 15 bucks  a month then you haven't been paying attention which is even more surprising for someone who says 'we go through this stuff every freaking MMO4. And if you know that then well there is no need to predict the future. One just needs to use common sense and look at the past P2P MMOS and how they fared after 2 or 3 months.

You don't need to be a fortune teller to tell something which is a common occurance.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Ok, this is second review I ever watched from AJ. 1st one was about GW2. No way this game sux more than GW2, makes me wonder how much Anet payed him to do review for GW2...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Subscription is not the issue I am currently subbed to SWTOR  husband and I and my son is subbed to WoW. Subscriptions are not an issue to games that  earn them. I would not classify myself as a hater I only betaed the game and I decided it was not worth buying and after reading about the terrible bugs and grouping phasing bugs I was glad I saved my money. I am merely amused by the game now ,certainly do not have enough invested in the game to hate it.

I got called a hater image hmm I suppose anyone who does not buy the game or thinks the game is buggy and not worth the expense is a hater . Got it in one.image

Chamber of Chains
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

If you think majority of players hating on ESO are those who have problem paying 15 bucks  a month then you haven't been paying attention which is even more surprising for someone who says 'we go through this stuff every freaking MMO4. And if you know that then well there is no need to predict the future. One just needs to use common sense and look at the past P2P MMOS and how they fared after 2 or 3 months.

You don't need to be a fortune teller to tell something which is a common occurance.

It seems the fans are in a state of denial right now.  Heck maybe us "haters" (Which I'm not. I'm just not a fan) are in the state of denial.  However, all I know is that when the fans bring up defense statements they say stuff like, "bugs are in all MMOs".  Yes a lot of bugs are in most MMOs during launch but that's only part of the issue reviewers seem to have with ESO.  Also I just read a thread where the OP is saying that it's the "Instant Gratification" crowd that's bringing the game down.  Seriously?  Occasionally you see the, "this ain't Skyrim" statements as well.  That's an issue because I would think that the fans would want to say, "dude, it's just like Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind online!" .  This is where most of the reviewers seem to be hitting, on how ESO has hardly any of the sandbox features of the previous Elder Scrolls games.  Like I said before, if they couldn't make ESO more like the other Elder Scrolls games then they should have waited to figure out how.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The ESO community sounds a lot like the darkfall community when that game released.  All the reviewers are wrong and the game is great.  

The people who think he's irrelevant and wrong would be singing a different tune if he gave it a 10.  

Originally posted by Uhwop

The ESO community sounds a lot like the darkfall community when that game released.  All the reviewers are wrong and the game is great.  

The people who think he's irrelevant and wrong would be singing a different tune if he gave it a 10.  

Hahah yeah you are right. I remember when FFXIV got bad reviews people were so angry and the same people on these forums couldn't help gushing when FFXIV ARR got great reviews from the same gaming sites which were labeled as amateurs, dishonest, not paid enough by SE etc etc. Suddenly all critics turned into experts and honest people.

It was comedy gold really.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I was about to call Hyperbole on this, but you beat me to it.

Angry Joe said it's "Painfully Average" and He also said that people who play ES had said it would be great if they could play an ES game onlie with their friends, and that ESO should have been "THAT game" but it isn't.

Oh, he also said "Ya Dun Fukt It Up!"

I don't recall him saying "It's over"

• Mordeth123Mordeth123 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

PC gamer gave it 5/10 too.

In before how Angry Joe didn't get paid enough.

Has no integrity.

Just one mans opinion.

He didn't play it enough and is looking for attention

He played it wrong.

He is (X games) fanboy

Who is angry joe and why should i care?

Anyone can make youtube account and be a critic (well do it yourself then).

He has a moustache so his opinion is invalid.

And so on....

Did i miss anything?

I had to dig up my old MMORPG account to reply to this post, but ended up in another part of the forum after. But now I'm back here, and just have to say you owe me a new keyboard. Luckily  I was using a spare keyboard as I was testing my main keyboard for something on my laptop. Apparently coffee and keyboards don't mix, who knew :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Ok, this is second review I ever watched from AJ. 1st one was about GW2. No way this game sux more than GW2, makes me wonder how much Anet payed him to do review for GW2...

you either didnt play GW2 or havent played ESO. With time im sure Zenimax will fix ESO just like every mmo company do, but right now is the most flawed mmo out there. Its only a month old so give it some time but if you cant see how much it sucks in its current state then i dont know what to say to you. I like it, and i want to play it, but im not blind and my money has value. They will definitelly get my money..... when they fix their product.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    When GW 2 was released the recent topics on this forum was filled for about a month with almost every second  thread on GW 2 .I notice ESO has dwindled much faster in number of threads in comparison to GW2. GW2 also had its fair share of hate but it kept its popularity longer on these forums because I suspect more people were playing it. ESO has lost ground much faster.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by kitarad
    When GW 2 was released the recent topics on this forum was filled for about a month with almost every second  thread on GW 2 .I notice ESO has dwindled much faster in number of threads in comparison to GW2. GW2 also had its fair share of hate but it kept its popularity longer on these forums because I suspect more people were playing it. ESO has lost ground much faster.

for obvious reasons, unfortunately. Shady cash grab practices even before launch on top of some bad game designs and screw up of simple mmo features. And poor communication with the community.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

Indeed, the game is tanking hard, FTP or some other payment model is coming soon. How they managed to botch this series is beyond me. Well I guess AA or WS are in the box now, I'll see how they play out.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

If there is one thing that pisses me off its the people who think this isn't elder scrolls. IDC if you hate the game, but it is ES through and through. I find more similarities to Morrowind than the other games. Morrowind never scaled levels or had the whole world available to you right from the start. Oblivion had this and it sucked. You could do the story quest only and be level 9 upon completing it. The most epic enemy you ever faced was probably a dremora, while most of the enemies were scamps. Holy epicness!!!

Skyrim was amazing, but you can't expect an mmo to capture the feeling Skyrim gave. (though it would be great).

FFXIV was an mmo and played nothing like FF games do and that game is doing well for itself. People need to undersand, it is ES themed MMO, review it based on that alone.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • dxsaoshidxsaoshi Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by JDis25

If there is one thing that pisses me off its the people who think this isn't elder scrolls. IDC if you hate the game, but it is ES through and through. I find more similarities to Morrowind than the other games. Morrowind never scaled levels or had the whole world available to you right from the start. Oblivion had this and it sucked. You could do the story quest only and be level 9 upon completing it. The most epic enemy you ever faced was probably a dremora, while most of the enemies were scamps. Holy epicness!!!

Skyrim was amazing, but you can't expect an mmo to capture the feeling Skyrim gave. (though it would be great).

FFXIV was an mmo and played nothing like FF games do and that game is doing well for itself. People need to undersand, it is ES themed MMO, review it based on that alone.

FFXIV plays like a better version of FFXI so you're wrong there bud. But skyrim was way better than this game and morrowind had way more freedom. Wish this game was not called elder scrolls then it could have done better since people would not be comparing the two games.

Hope it gets better though like DAoC rvr better. Once it reaches that caliber I'll resub to it. And i know it'll probably happen in the future just hope it's before Archeage comes out.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I usually take online and Youtube reviews with a grain of salt...But while watching AngryJoe's review I found myself agreeing with just about everything he said and being entertained at the same time...Dude was spot-on and thorough in my opinion...The only thing I can say I did not agree 100% about was the graphics (I actually love the look of the game) and that's not a big thing overall...I think 5/10 is just about perfect...
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

Indeed, the game is tanking hard, FTP or some other payment model is coming soon. How they managed to botch this series is beyond me. Well I guess AA or WS are in the box now, I'll see how they play out.

It is not that strange. For PvE they tried to make both Skyrim and regular MMO players happy which mean the game is far more soloing than most other MMOs with phasing and similar mechanics. But Skyrim fans still prefer Skyrim because it does what it should perfectly in a way you can't in a massive game. MMO fans on the other hand are usually more social and gets annoyed because they can't play with their friends and because the dungeon experience just isn't what MMO players (at least most of us) want.

PvP is better done as Joe say, but with the bugs and the lack of DaoC styled meaning $15 a month just doesn't seem like a great deal for most of us, there are other games with similar or better gameplay that is B2P.

While ESO have plenty of dungeons they don't really feel like MMO dungeons which also annoy many MMOers.

A big part of the problem compared to GW2 is that ESO is released way too early if you compare them. GW2 was also a bit early but after a month it was in good shape (trying to do places like Iron marches the first few weeks were just annoying) while ESO still is buggy and perform badly for at least some players.

People might have been a lot more forgiving about the PvE if they had released the game 3 months later and had it running  perfectly at launch.

P2P also increases how good a game needs to be to keep the subs. If a B2P game is buggy it is far less annoying to wait a month for the game to be fixed (it still is annoying but nowhere near as bad).

ESO do have some fans still who enjoy it though so it isn't all bad but I don't see any other way for it than either F2P or a FF styled re-release unless they want a sub number around 250K players or so. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by KyngBills
    I usually take online and Youtube reviews with a grain of salt...But while watching AngryJoe's review I found myself agreeing with just about everything he said and being entertained at the same time...Dude was spot-on and thorough in my opinion...The only thing I can say I did not agree 100% about was the graphics (I actually love the look of the game) and that's not a big thing overall...I think 5/10 is just about perfect...

Angry Joe isn't just any guy making a youtube video at home, he do run a pretty large review-site and while far from everyone like him he do have plenty of watchers and I do usually agree with him (even if he can be a jerk sometimes).

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by KyngBills

Angry Joe isn't just any guy making a youtube video at home, he do run a pretty large review-site and while far from everyone like him he do have plenty of watchers and I do usually agree with him (even if he can be a jerk sometimes).

Ya...This was my first time watching him and I came way impressed and entertained...I'm just never been much of a YouTube review kind of MMO gamer, even though I started playing MMO's with SWG in 2003...But I'll watch him again for sure...Hopefully before I pay next time...lol

This discussion has been closed.