Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long and slow or fast and short fun ( poll )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

What would you prefer :

A ))

Playing an mmo that is NOT extremely up front fun where things happen slow. BUT you know your in it for the long haul.  You know that you will have many good times and keep memories. At times you will just be doing off the grid for prep work to prepare for an up coming event like that hard dungeon three levels away. Other times where you just log in to see if your friends are online, maybe chat, maybe do a few random quest that will only move your experience bar about 10%.

Have a good time playing for about two hours that was just fun, but not hart pounding fun. Then at times you decide, let me get a group together and do that real hard Dungeon or Raid. Trying to balance out making a good name for your self and not pissing off others unless you have to.

Feelin frisky at times and taking that chance in a known PvP area where you know your just gonna get splattered !

Good evenly paced fun, something that would last for years.

B ))

Signing on and instantly be in all the action, quick fun because you only have 20 min to play. Run three dynamic events, auto group with at random people because your shy or just simply don't have the time to get to know others. Mobs close together with no break, but you get to kill stuff.

Cross server Looking for groups, playing short but really exciting dungeons ! 

After two hours being able to make a clean break from your play session without commitment to anyone, and get lots done.

Kind of knowing that from the get-go the content may only last about 30 days, but your ok with that, maybe because you know you have another mmo that your dying to try, or just because the wife is on your case about the kids don't have a dad !

I would give examples of both, but that would just start a fight.....So please just take the poll and leave a comment below. Examples would be fine. I'll just keep my examples out of it for the original post.

Comments

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Why not go with the little taco girl "Why not have both?". I enjoy downtimes and slower progression, but there are times when I have 30 minutes before work and I would like to run a quick dungeon. I think you can have a good balance of content to serve different types of players or the same player who has different needs at different times.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

A for me.

This is like comparing ffxi to ffxiv arr.

FFxi. I could play countless hours everyday and always have something to work toward. That entire game was nothing but very long goals to accomplish on everything. Everything took hours from farming a rare drop, waiting for a party, traversing the world. When you finally reach the end of any goal, it really felt like an accomplishment, and not everyone on the server has reached the same goal. Everyone had certain goal's/hobbies, everyone wasn't everthing like in modern mmo's.

FFXIV arr.... well everything in that game you can complete in an hour or less, for the most part. Ther's like 2 things in that game that actually takes awhile to achieve (Coil, and atma weapon quest) other than that its all 1 hour or less. I literally get bored after about 3 hours loged into ffxiv :(

So ye, I much prefer slower paced, long term goals to achieve. Cause I have as much free time now, just as I did over 10 years ago. I havn't changed, only the games have. Hopefully Archeage will finally be my new home for years to come /crosses fingers.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Such a monochromatic view of the world. Either/or. Right/left. Up/down. White/black.

Why not have both and more?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yeah I don't understand why it has to be one or the other ?
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

If I want short and fun I play pinball not an MMO

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

I am in it for the journey so I picked A but I would pick long slow and fun. Note that I still think corpse run at the bottom of guk were fun.

I am looking more for a virtual world than a game, but there is nothing stopping a virtual world from being packed with nice and fun stuff to do on your way out exploring.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I choose option C. Long and deep game with both long and short term goals. Some goals will take months to reach (example being the old epics in EQ1) and others being short term goals examples being the fbss or Heroic bracer. With other missions being inbetween classic example the class armour quests in EQ.  I want my goals to have long term effects and not be replaced within minutes of getting them. A goal achieved after working for it is always more satisfaction than being bombarded with multiple meaningless accomplishments.

So Option C Long Deep game with meaningful long and short term goals. To me that is the essence of a fun mmorpg.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Gadareth

I choose option C. Long and deep game with both long and short term goals. Some goals will take months to reach (example being the old epics in EQ1) and others being short term goals examples being the fbss or Heroic bracer. With other missions being inbetween classic example the class armour quests in EQ.  I want my goals to have long term effects and not be replaced within minutes of getting them. A goal achieved after working for it is always more satisfaction than being bombarded with multiple meaningless accomplishments.

So Option C Long Deep game with meaningful long and short term goals. To me that is the essence of a fun mmorpg.

Pretty much this. I imagine a game that takes years to "max" but it doesn't really matter because there are fun and engaging things to do along the entire ride. Some of those things can be long and engaging while other can be short and exciting.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Fast pace of course. If i want to be bored, i watch paint dry on a wall. I don't need boredom in my games.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Azoth

I am in it for the journey so I picked A but I would pick long slow and fun. Note that I still think corpse run at the bottom of guk were fun.

I am looking more for a virtual world than a game, but there is nothing stopping a virtual world from being packed with nice and fun stuff to do on your way out exploring.

Same here,

I would like a virtual world too, where things are spread out. I would like to choose the amount of action I would like to do depending on my mood at that time.

I use to say to myself during Vanilla WoW, wouldn't it be nice to write a book on my adventures. Of curse no one would  read my book, but it would be possible to write one.