Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I stuck up for ESO, but now I'm done ( list )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I tried desperately to like Elders Scrolls Online. I tried to re-convince my friends to play that waited for this mmo, only to find it buggy during bata.  I talked about it in a good way at work. I joined that good Guild with voice chat.....Well I just can't anymore, I tricked myself long enough.

- Bugs, abilities delays, dodging does not execute all the time. Chain quest that you cant complete unless you re-log, some you have to restart all over. Some, that if you die, the dialog will not let you retry and grayed out.

- Only 5 abilities that gets boring after awhile. Unable to execute any new tactical strategies unless you swap out abilities. WHY ONLY 5 ?

- No matter how cool class abilities sound, dual weld abilities are way stronger.....No real reason to use anything else besides Dual Weld and Bow.

- Mega server blows period.  Big deal the world is full of life.  At times too full.  The mega server is the root cause of most of the bugs......See that guy struggling over their ?.....Why help, why make friends with him ?....Not even any reason to say "thanks".

- Mounts.  Besides PvP you don't need them.

- Zones are big, that's nice.  But the reason I like big zones is because I would like to get to know players in them, but the mega server destroys that.

- Exploring was nice, and I say WAS.  By the time you hit around level 25 you know what too expect.

- So much copy and past. Building interiors, private and public dungeons.  Many things are exactly the same.

- Dungeons are short, way too short.

- LFG tool.....strangers !

- World Bosses, mindless zerg fest.  At times it's even impossible to get a shot in.

- Ever notice that random mobs are ridicules easy, yet you come across one that will one shot you and impossible to kill, what's with that ?....You can't use tactics because you never know when.

- Other than PvP you don't need a Guild.

- Crafting is for the most part worthless, just hang out in a public dungeon. Equipment problem solved !

- Inventory and bank is listed, no arranging nothing.

- I cant stand the UI, some like no clutter, but they turn around and download mods.... what's with that crap? Abilities disappear out of combat. I can't stand that ( this could be me, but I hate it ).

-Forever load screens.

- Sloooow voice acting. I started clicking through it. But quest are nice. Solo but nice. And you never know if the end boss of a quest chain will one shot you. No preparing, because it's random. Could be easy could be hard, you never know :)

I never had this in Vanilla WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, D&D Online, even Vanguard was much better than this ! 

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I would say there is only one solution for you

Delete the game...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I would say there is only one solution for you

Delete the game...

Very good advice, Thanks :)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You played the beta and bought the game irregardless of all the issues you had. Well might be time to pack it in if I experienced even half of the list you enumerated   I would not have bought this game. For the record I did not buy the game as a result of my beta experience.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by delete5230

I tried desperately to like Elders Scrolls Online. I tried to re-convince my friends to play that waited for this mmo, only to find it buggy during bata.  I talked about it in a good way at work. I joined that good Guild with voice chat.....Well I just can't anymore, I tricked myself long enough.

- Bugs, abilities delays, dodging does not execute all the time. Chain quest that you cant complete unless you re-log, some you have to restart all over. Some, that if you die, the dialog will not let you retry and grayed out.

- Only 5 abilities that gets boring after awhile. Unable to execute any new tactical strategies unless you swap out abilities. WHY ONLY 5 ? Because you have 18... do the math.. 

- No matter how cool class abilities sound, dual weld abilities are way stronger.....No real reason to use anything else besides Dual Weld and Bow. Try veteran content with dual wield templar... it hurts so much.. you die

- Mega server blows period.  Big deal the world is full of life.  At times too full.  The mega server is the root cause of most of the bugs......See that guy struggling over their ?.....Why help, why make friends with him ?....Not even any reason to say "thanks".

- Mounts.  Besides PvP you don't need them.  They give storage cappacity, which is worth every dime i spend on it

- Zones are big, that's nice.  But the reason I like big zones is because I would like to get to know players in them, but the mega server destroys that.  try interacting with the people you meet, i have been very succesfull at making friends and chatting and even roleplaying with them

- Exploring was nice, and I say WAS.  By the time you hit around level 25 you know what too expect. If you dont like this general part of MMO´s why play MMO?

- So much copy and past. Building interiors, private and public dungeons.  Many things are exactly the same.

- LFG tool.....strangers !  LFG is a PUG building tool, what would you expect?

- World Bosses, mindless zerg fest.  At times it's even impossible to get a shot in.  

- Ever notice that random mobs are ridicules easy, yet you come across one that will one shot you and impossible to kill, what's with that ?....You can't use tactics because you never know when. Those are not solo mobs, try grouping for them

- Other than PvP you don't need a Guild. Most important reato have guilds is for trading...son 

- Crafting is for the most part worthless, just hang out in a public dungeon. Equipment problem solved ! You obviously have no clue about this... 

- Inventory and bank is listed, no arranging nothing.  get a mod or two for this

- I cant stand the UI, some like no clutter, but they turn around and download mods.... what's with that crap? Abilities disappear out of combat. I can't stand that ( this could be me, but I hate it ).  get a mod or two for this

-Forever load screens.

- Sloooow voice acting. I started clicking through it. But quest are nice. Solo but nice. And you never know if the end boss of a quest chain will one shot you. No preparing, because it's random. Could be easy could be hard, you never know :)  And by showing that you dont have any patience, you ruined most of the story immersion for yourself.

I never had this in Vanilla WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, D&D Online, even Vanguard was much better than this ! 

On a serious note.... you are a zergling that wants to rush trough content and in that case, this just isnt your game, its aimed at people that love good content and have the patience to enjoy it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

- Only 5 abilities that gets boring after awhile. Unable to execute any new tactical strategies unless you swap out abilities. WHY ONLY 5 ? Because you have 18... do the math.. 

- No matter how cool class abilities sound, dual weld abilities are way stronger.....No real reason to use anything else besides Dual Weld and Bow. Try veteran content with dual wield templar... it hurts so much.. you die

- Mounts.  Besides PvP you don't need them.  They give storage cappacity, which is worth every dime i spend on it

- Zones are big, that's nice.  But the reason I like big zones is because I would like to get to know players in them, but the mega server destroys that.  try interacting with the people you meet, i have been very succesfull at making friends and chatting and even roleplaying with them

- Exploring was nice, and I say WAS.  By the time you hit around level 25 you know what too expect. If you dont like this general part of MMO´s why play MMO?

- LFG tool.....strangers !  LFG is a PUG building tool, what would you expect?

- Ever notice that random mobs are ridicules easy, yet you come across one that will one shot you and impossible to kill, what's with that ?....You can't use tactics because you never know when. Those are not solo mobs, try grouping for them

- Other than PvP you don't need a Guild. Most important reato have guilds is for trading...son 

- Crafting is for the most part worthless, just hang out in a public dungeon. Equipment problem solved ! You obviously have no clue about this... 

- Inventory and bank is listed, no arranging nothing.  get a mod or two for this

- I cant stand the UI, some like no clutter, but they turn around and download mods.... what's with that crap? Abilities disappear out of combat. I can't stand that ( this could be me, but I hate it ).  get a mod or two for this

-Forever load screens.

- Sloooow voice acting. I started clicking through it. But quest are nice. Solo but nice. And you never know if the end boss of a quest chain will one shot you. No preparing, because it's random. Could be easy could be hard, you never know :)  And by showing that you dont have any patience, you ruined most of the story immersion for yourself.

On a serious note.... you are a zergling that wants to rush trough content and in that case, this just isnt your game, its aimed at people that love good content and have the patience to enjoy it.

Well, your " work arounds " are nice.  I worked around for a month and a half....But, at the end of the day, their just that work arounds. I did all of that.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Kudos to the OP at least he gave it a chance , +10 respect .. ;)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Well, most of your complaints (besides bugs) are design decisions that make ESO different from other MMOS, thing is, personal taste will determine if they are an improvement or not.

Like the OP, I didn't care for them so much, not saying they were bad, just changed in ways I really didn't want.

I adapted to them, but I didn't warm up to them, and I'm not missing any of them while playing my new MMO.

None of the ones mentioned lead me to leave however, once it became clear what the VR content represented and how that bar was going to move outwards on a never ending basis I knew then I was done with the game.

I joined ESO with the hope it would be a DAOC successor, but it really resembles it only in general, when you get down to the details, it is a vastly different game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The thing that gets me with mmos is that when they have betas you don't want to play too much because sometimes it will wipe and it will also make launch less appealing going through the stuff you did in beta over again.

Then if you don't play enough in beta you don't really know what the game is like so you buy it off a good first impression only to find out that the game really is not that fun when you get deeper into the game. If you had only played more during beta you would have seen what the game really was. So what do you do?

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

that is why they delayed console release of eso for 6-9 months ill try the game after year when the game is actually fun to play.

however i was not caring much about people complaining about eso because the games are in general highly subjective i even do not care about people complaining about gw2 the game i love. bu after i became to know they delayed console release of eso i realized something is wrong for real and decided for wait for a year.

• BelegmorBelegmor Member Posts: 6

I too hoped this was DAOC "reborn." I had played that game for years, ever since it was first released, and ESO has not lived up to the hype imho. The 3 alliacnes gave me hope, but the cross alliance guilds killed that, but Cyr was still some fun. What killed it for me was the bugs and " customer service," or utter lack there of. The latest mega-patch killed my game; cant log in and have even spent the time re-downloading the game. Had gone back and forth a number of times with a tech person before they literally "dumped" me onto another support person as he (assumption) had no clue other than the standard "fixes" given to him....that was  Friday afternoon...crickets since!!! If i had been rivetted with the game (which i am NOT) then i could have the patience for all the bugs and patch problems. However since not, i have exited the game post-haste. I may return some time down the line, but for now its on to other things....

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I think part of the problem is that the game has very little, as in almost no, similarities to DaoC, there is no link between PvE and PvP, and while they tried to make owning keeps mean something, with guild shops etc, in the end, it was utterly pointless. Its almost as if the designers of the game had never actually played DaoC themselves, so much so that its as if they didn't have a clue as to what parts of the game made DaoC a success, and which parts didn't, as sure as anything they don't seem to understand the whole Realm Pride thing that DaoC actually promoted.

As an Elder Scrolls game it just lacks the versatility that is usually inherent to such games, why they went the route they did, we may never truly know, only that it didn't or rather, doesn't work, and factoring such annoying features as the 'megaserver' along with numerous bugs and glitches that may well be inherent to the game engine in conjunction to the megaserver tech they used, and about all your going to be left with, are the truly dedicated players who will put up with absolutely anything, more power to them, but they are very small in number and im sure even among them, the patience must be wearing thin.

Maybe they can fix things, maybe they can't, it might be worth looking back on this game in 6 months or so to see if they did, and whether its worth coming back.image

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I tried desperately to like Elders Scrolls Online. Well I just can't anymore, I tricked myself long enough.

I will never understand why someone would have to try desperately to like X Y Z game; let alone having to go great lengths to trick yourself. When someone becomes too passionate (extreme) about a game usually two things happen. 1. They either go to the official forums and post something similar to this or they do the silent treatment and go completely off the radar from one day to the next. I was wondering if you or someone else could elaborate on this type of behavior? I’ve seen at least one person on this very thread (not you OP) who white knighted the living hell out of the past 3-4 major AAA games during beta only to announce later that they uninstalled said games within the first month or two. I just don’t get it…

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Abilities disappear out of combat. I can't stand that ( this could be me, but I hate it ).

There's been an option for this since early beta.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268

This game is SOO not for the content locusts and zerglings.   Apparently now you can grind experience in VR in Craglorn,  and its faster than doing the questing in the zones.  

The locusts can again come out and swarm and start an infestation once again....after they hate on the new game that is coming out and they ask for a refund with that one too.

Thank you Lord Bachus for shooting down almost every one of the OPs "problems" with the game.

OMG I am Ancient!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cheyane
    You played the beta and bought the game irregardless of all the issues you had. Well might be time to pack it in if I experienced even half of the list you enumerated   I would not have bought this game. For the record I did not buy the game as a result of my beta experience.

Well, a bad beta doesn't need you shouldn't buy the game as long as it have basic fun and it have a potential but what you should do is wait a few months after launch before buying it.

Some things will not change like the megaservers, but I think the OPs player experience still would have been very different if he had bought the game in august instead since he knew the shape of the game already...

I don't get why people are in such hurry all the time...

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

I tried desperately to like Elders Scrolls Online. Well I just can't anymore, I tricked myself long enough.

I will never understand why someone would have to try desperately to like X Y Z game; let alone having to go great lengths to trick yourself. When someone becomes too passionate (extreme) about a game usually two things happen. 1. They either go to the official forums and post something similar to this or they do the silent treatment and go completely off the radar from one day to the next. I was wondering if you or someone else could elaborate on this type of behavior? I’ve seen at least one person on this very thread (not you OP) who white knighted the living hell out of the past 3-4 major AAA games during beta only to announce later that they uninstalled said games within the first month or two. I just don’t get it…

People who have a desire for something often times delude themselves into believing that the thing they desire is better then it really is.

We see this happen everywhere. Relationships, Jobs and yes even games.

They will over glorify the positives and ignore the negatives. The want and desire of the thing creates that blinded view. The problem is that it never lasts. Once the initial "shine" of newness wears down those negative things that were ignored now stand out in glaring reality.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

Imo alot of games today are examples of what you get when you mix ego, coke and too much money. I fear we are sliding into an idiocracy personally, creativity and quality is almost non existent these days, I just dont think game devs have enough skill to deliver whats in their coke addled brains anymore.

ESO is not a good game, it is an abomination to all things elderscrolls and if the devs couldnt even see that threw its long dev cycle then there is no hope for them.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    OP sounds like the type who would spend 150 for ArcheAge.  
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

That's fine if you don't like the game, but I can't believe OP said the dungeons and world were "cut and paste" the dungeons are all different and unique. The public dungeons/caves are all different and really match the zone you are in in terms of environment, plant life, detail, etc.

This game is the exact opposite of "copy and paste" design. Play SWTOR and realize just how many interiors they have in that game. Like 1 or 2 total.

LOTRO and DDO he mentioned, both rehash textures and environments, hell even enemies ad nauseum. It's fine to not like the game, but where people come up with some of their complaints, I will never know.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Geebus80

Imo alot of games today are examples of what you get when you mix ego, coke and too much money. I fear we are sliding into an idiocracy personally, creativity and quality is almost non existent these days, I just dont think game devs have enough skill to deliver whats in their coke addled brains anymore.

ESO is not a good game, it is an abomination to all things elderscrolls and if the devs couldnt even see that threw its long dev cycle then there is no hope for them.

You are writing jaded and bitter nonsense.

Have you ever met any devs in RL, have you hung out with them? Made any friends and gotten to know them over the years - and learned about the culture of game dev studios?

- sorry to be so blunt, but the vast majority of game devs that actually design and code MMORPGs are first of all very decent and average people.

Many of them are quite brilliant at what they do, and some are some of the most creative people I've ever met.

You are writing about some extreme minority that is not even 1% - so again - you are WAY off base here, it's cringeworthy.

I agree with your response but , of course, his invective is coming from disappointment over the game he/she wants to play. Admittedly, I often fall in to "blame the culture"  or "the sky is falling"  mentality when a game doesn't live up to my expectations either.  Us gamers are nasty and quick to bite when we feel we have been dealt with wrongly, hehe. 

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I also stuck up for the game now I feel nothing anymore.

the game is o.k but not great better than other mmos out there but just not good enough to stick with.

ill play my remaining 5 weeks left of subbing but waiting for the next big thing.

this game is not elders scrolls its almost elders scrolls.

I cant wait for the real elders scrolls to return.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Are you sure its not your own brain that's addled ? What you are saying here is total BS ..

Although the part about the game being an abomination is about right. ;)

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by JDis25

That's fine if you don't like the game, but I can't believe OP said the dungeons and world were "cut and paste" the dungeons are all different and unique. The public dungeons/caves are all different and really match the zone you are in in terms of environment, plant life, detail, etc.

This game is the exact opposite of "copy and paste" design. Play SWTOR and realize just how many interiors they have in that game. Like 1 or 2 total.

LOTRO and DDO he mentioned, both rehash textures and environments, hell even enemies ad nauseum. It's fine to not like the game, but where people come up with some of their complaints, I will never know.

erm, check out

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review,3815-3.html

and you will see a graphical overview of the copy/paste dungeons.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I heard that last patch really broke this game. I bet Zenimax going is going crazy about now. The first elderscrolls game to get so many crap reviews. Everyone calling it a basic generic mmo. It should have never been made in the first place. The next elderscrolls single player game is really going to have to be epic to recover from all the bad press this game is getting. But they will keep it going with the subs until money stops coming in then go f2p but even that won't help them. The way this game is going f2p won't help it at all.
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

I would agree that ego and money have alot to do with the decline of MMORPGs, though I would hope that drugs arent a contributing factor.

I think it really comes down to "taking the path of least resistance"

As Matt Firor himself said "Its Too Hard"

Its much easier to make a linear, banal, level/zoned, phased/mirrored, cut/paste, rinse/repeat game than it is to make something deep, complex and dynamic.

Why work so hard to create and maintain a rich and engaging virtual world when its much easier to make "Donkey Kong Online"? The masses will /derp over anything with a familiar name attached to it.

A company I worked for did something similar a few years ago. They NGEed the company. They went from providing highly skilled techs for specific positions to being a general labor company because it was actually easier and more profitable for the company to hire and maintain no/low skill labor.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many