Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who thinks star citizen will be a beast?

Comments

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Elite Dangerous FTW ! :)

But seriously, I bought a basic ship package in SC, the only problem its like a slideshow on my PC , the Hangar module that is. I think its going to be the most expensive game I ever bought because I'm going to have buy  a new PC just to play it. Unless of course it just hasn't been optimized yet ! :)

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    I feel this game will be a good alternative for when I am not playing anything or taking a break from fantasy-based games. And who knows if it ends up the game to play. Estimated release Q1 2016 according to some sources, by that time the Repopulation will be around. Good times are coming fellas.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by summitus

Elite Dangerous FTW ! :)

But seriously, I bought a basic ship package in SC, the only problem its like a slideshow on my PC , the Hangar module that is. I think its going to be the most expensive game I ever bought because I'm going to have buy  a new PC just to play it. Unless of course it just hasn't been optimized yet ! :)

It's a little of both. No, they haven't optimized it yet so the performance will get better but it is still going to be a beast of a game when it comes to system specs.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by archeageking

i backed star citizen. Who here thinks this will blow eve out of water?

true sandbox space, i cant wait.

Not me, game is made for hardcore only, big fail

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

I understand that because they are both space games people feel the need to compare EVE to Star Citizen. But they are not even close to being comparable. One is a space flight sim with some mmo elements, the other is a submarine simulator with a space backdrop and tacticool gameplay. 

Star Citizen should hopefully turn out to be great, but it will be great in its own way. Unless at some point you can have battles like EVE's B-R massacre where thousands of players were on grid at once duking it out, I don't see SC "blow(ing) eve out of the water" But alot of us will play SC, even if we don't outright abandon EVE for it.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Dauntis

I really think this title will fail under it's designer's own hubris. 

With only top end systems being able to play, the player base will turn out too small to support it, as people will not want to keep funding it like they are the kickstarter. Most people who want to play this sort of game are already playing EVE and even if they jump ship to try the new shiny, they won't want to leave what the built in EVE, especially if they have to upgrade their system to play it.  

Really if this game is a success it will be a modest success at best. 

I think I agree.  Having been watching Star Citizen since it was first announced it seems to have fallen into the one thing Chris said wouldn't happen and that is "feature creep". 

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Teala

With only top end systems being able to play, the player base will turn out too small to support it, as people will not want to keep funding it like they are the kickstarter. Most people who want to play this sort of game are already playing EVE and even if they jump ship to try the new shiny, they won't want to leave what the built in EVE, especially if they have to upgrade their system to play it.  

I think I agree.  Having been watching Star Citizen since it was first announced it seems to have fallen into the one thing Chris said wouldn't happen and that is "feature creep". 

Another issue and this has been mentioned on their forums, this game is not directed towards casual players, Star Citizen is a hardcore gamer dream, the devs have said so, this game is for top gamers with top computers, no for the casual low budget computer player.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If by beast you mean theYeti, then yes.  We've heard of it, it seems pretty cool to experience... but no one will actually see the real thing, only stories.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

An ugly beast or a pretty beast?

A beast it will indeed be, as an example of how big crowdfunding can get. However, I'm not so convinced yet that it'll be a crazy good product. I also feel that many people have been very unwise with their money.

However, if it does manage to be great, I'll definitely play it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I pity a lot of other developers because SC will make every other space game redundant, that is 100% sure

this game has everything and by 2015 it will be THE game to play

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Will be - it's far too early to know

Could be - chances are still good for Yes, but you can't expect ANYthing from a MMO until you get to play the actual game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Even though space presents problems (discombobulated for example!!), I think the base game could be the seed to a huge game subsequently. Might see another WOW boom.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I think its just a shit and that guy milk you all out. For $40M after 2 years develop you have there one fucking hangar and nothing? Don't get me wrong, but that's just too hilarious when he could hire like 300 progamators/artist/graphics for that money.

What he did instead ? He kept money flow as much as possible. At least he finished something - hoodie for another 35$, LMAO!

I bet it will the biggest SCAM in history and all that thanks to kickstarter. Money first as usually!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• MarpacMarpac Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by lickm3

I think its just a shit and that guy milk you all out. For $40M after 2 years develop you have there one fucking hangar and nothing? Don't get me wrong, but that's just too hilarious when he could hire like 300 progamators/artist/graphics for that money.

What he did instead ? He kept money flow as much as possible. At least he finished something - hoodie for another 35$, LMAO!

I bet it will the biggest SCAM in history and all that thanks to kickstarter. Money first as usually!

+1

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by lickm3

Yeah... That must be why Alex Mayberry left his nice cushy job at Blizzard being the Lead Producer for Diablo III and World of Warcraft for every expansion since The Burning Crusade. He left a hell of a lot of job security behind to become the Executive Producer of Star Citizen. Yeah... they are just a bunch of scammers.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

i backed star citizen. Who here thinks this will blow eve out of water? true sandbox space, i cant wait.

Well...your enthusiasm is to be applauded, and you are definitely backing a guy with a proven track record of putting out quality games.

However, the best laid plans of mice and men...mistakes could be made, unforeseen issues, etc etc. However getting to the essence of your question, it could.

If all goes as advertised, and everything that is supposed to be in the game and working, then yes I believe it will be 'beast' to those that enjoy this particular genre of on-line game. One of the problems people have is the: If I like it, everyone will or just the opposite. That simply is not the case, most of the truly objective people can recognize a good game even though it may not be to their particular taste. Having said that, most forum users don't have the ability to be objective. In my experience/opinion.

So the bottom line is: Yes, it probably will be for people that like this sort of game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    2015 and beyond will be glorious. I am done with WoW clones. Welcome Star Citizen, The Repopulation, et al.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

its flight mechaincs feel rather arcadish 

People, if you don't have info about something go find some. Do not come here and type BS. There is absolutely nothing "arcadish" about SC's flight model. 

Go to the website and read, all the info you need is there.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

There's still a lot of time to go, if its ready by 2016 I'll be very surprised.

Even at that time it will probably release missing a bunch of features considering what they are promising.

But its a PC-only game that is NOT trying to reach as many people as possible by dumbing down features and graphics so most PC's can handle it. Having that in mind, all that's needed is a person with a vision that can direct this game and money to back up that vision. Star Citizen has both, so yes this game will be a beast. 

It will probably take many years to see it in its full glory, probably longer than expected but at least we know a game of this scope is in the works.

Even if Star Citizen fails due to whatever reason, companies now know that this kind of game is highly requested. Its just a matter of time.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

how much did he get so far? 40 million?

yea, i guess that wasn't only you :P

ps: and if it was only you, kudos ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by cura

I highly doubt it. Although it has more interesting combat, its flight mechaincs feel rather arcadish and it wil have only like hundred star systems. I would rather bet on Elite as its world is really massive.

How would you know that when all we've seen is some very early dogfighting footage that Mr. Roberts himself has stated was not ready for public consumption and no one other than CIG employees have any actual play time? You don't.

[...]

All his games i remember had this kind of flight mechanics i saw in a SC presentation. Now, SC seems to be more advanced as ships have masses and inertia but when you want to turn left, you still just move your mouse pointer to the left. I prefer more airplane like controlls where you have to roll and use you pitch controll for fast maneuvering. Feels much more iconic and movie like to me. 

Umm... it's in space...  why would you have to control like a plane?

Not saying the SC physics are realistic but complaining that a ship in space doesn't handle like a plane in an atmosphere is just silly.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    *raises hand*  i do i do

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I agree with this. A really small playerbase since you will need a supercomputer to run it. And all the time it took Eve players to build up their characters, i can't see them jumping ship for this game. It takes a long time in Eve to reach a really high lvl. This game like all other mmo coming out is just hype and wishful thinking from fanboys. I will bet this game will be nothing like they say it will be when it comes out.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Or, it could be the game that will make people want to have a really good computer just to run it.

Same way some games make you want to buy a console.

Star Citizen always had its intentions known, a pure PC game that only the best computer setups will be able to play. Desktop computers. Still it managed 44 million dollars through kickstarter.

If people want something really badly, they find a way to get it. If a game is really good, people will want it really badly.

Plus there are so many ways to earn extra money with e-peen, vanity stuff in a game like this. They can even put in-game advertising in there.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by lickm3 I think its just a shit and that guy milk you all out. For $40M after 2 years develop you have there one fucking hangar and nothing? Don't get me wrong, but that's just too hilarious when he could hire like 300 progamators/artist/graphics for that money. What he did instead ? He kept money flow as much as possible. At least he finished something - hoodie for another 35$, LMAO! I bet it will the biggest SCAM in history and all that thanks to kickstarter. Money first as usually!
    Yeah... That must be why Alex Mayberry left his nice cushy job at Blizzard being the Lead Producer for Diablo III and World of Warcraft for every expansion since The Burning Crusade. He left a hell of a lot of job security behind to become the Executive Producer of Star Citizen. Yeah... they are just a bunch of scammers.

Bren

Yeah, I would even leave a blizzard CEO post If I had the opportunity to get easily without anything done to $40M.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.