Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The All Time Ultimate Space Adventure MMO

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Angels Fall First

http://youtu.be/y0rDb73KxWs

I have been playing this Ut3 MOD forever, always wondered, why, WHY is no one turning this into a commercial product?

Now it's happening. Unbelievable. The game? Star Citizen.

Tactical FPS, ship hoarding, ship boarding, station defending, cap ship conquering with assault teams, flying ships through a gigantic universe, multi crew ships, guilds and organizations, plus mining, trading.

This is the game. This is the BDSSE. Thank you Chris Roberts

Comments

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    Indeed. I have been waiting for something like this since Freelancer lol
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by MeridiasBeacon
    Indeed. I have been waiting for something like this since Freelancer lol

I realized, only now is the time right for this game.

Graphically impossible a couple of years ago, and only now do we get virtual reality devices that put you directly into the cockpit and running around in the game world, planets and space stations.

Also the EVA looks very exciting, can't wait for the first space walk/shootout

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    All sounds good, question remains can they deliver?

Faith and hype aren't much to count on in this genre.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It has an impressive list of features, that's for sure. The capital ship fighting and boarding party combat all sound great. How it all comes together is of course the most important part, and the only part we don't have an answer for yet.

Potential is one of those words that always sound so good before, yet tend to turn so nasty after. I hope it's not the case for this game.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    All sounds good, question remains can they deliver?

Faith and hype aren't much to count on in this genre.

uhm, yes they can.

they have the manpower, the funds and the vision.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Ah, the 'We Believe!' mantra from the Cult of Roberts.

The man helmed two projects that were years late, and won Vaporware awards before their eventual release.   He abandoned games to become a hack Hollywood producer, and only came back when his career in film cratered.    He's nowhere near the great genius he thinks he is.   His real cleverness was in figuring out he could set up a cash shop years in advance of the game he's trying to produce.

You all are in for a bumpy ride.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

The man helmed two projects that were years late, and won Vaporware awards before their eventual release.   He abandoned games to become a hack Hollywood producer, and only came back when his career in film cratered.    He's nowhere near the great genius he thinks he is.   His real cleverness was in figuring out he could set up a cash shop years in advance of the game he's trying to produce.

If you're wrong and the game is just as amazing as people think it will be do you come back and admit you where wrong, pretend like you never said it or do you become a pro hater and make up dumb posts about how it's failing. 

You sort of went all in with that post so I'm curious.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Think ,maybe, save the hype for the release of  a finished game?

Hope is great and all, but why put so much into a game that has years to go before release?

Why do people do this to themselves? Build up games that are years away, to  such heights in their hopes and imaginations. No wonder their is such hate for games recently. No game can compare to years of such hype, and hopes.

Nothing but a let down once they release. So most games do not even get a decent chance to  see if they are any good. They can not be compared to someones imagination, and relentless hype.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    The hype is strong, but damn if I do not want to buy in to it.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

Hope is great and all, but why put so much into a game that has years to go before release?

Why do people do this to themselves? Build up games that are years away, to  such heights in their hopes and imaginations. No wonder their is such hate for games recently. No game can compare to years of such hype, and hopes.

Nothing but a let down once they release. So most games do not even get a decent chance to  see if they are any good. They can not be compared to someones imagination, and relentless hype.

They need some way to justify their emotional or financial involvement and look to get that justification from others that form the clique.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/reality-check-what-makes-hardcore-fans-so-hardcore/2300-6418707/

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I'm also excited about the game's potential but let's just wait and see what they actually manage to implement first.

I mean you can't even fly your ship properly and we're already celebrating boarding parties?

It's years away from fruition and that's just for some of the countless features it promises.

..Cake..

Originally posted by DarLorkar

it just needs to have the features they say they are putting in, not less, not more.

enough for some healthy pre release hype.

you know why I am not hyped for most other titles before release? Because their concept already sucks on paper

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

I don't know if there's a word in the English language that can accurately describe Star Citizen's aspect, but this article in Time magazine more or less nails my reaction to it so far.  It appears to have high production value, but does it have Soul?  Vendetta Online is a Soulful game; I write that after having played it for 11 years.  Star Citizen looks to be nearly everything Vendetta Online would have been with a much larger budget, but there are some important differences.  Star Citizen has uber-hype, but there is little to inspire confidence that it will have soul.

It's funny, I actually own the 2-disc DVD set to Lord of War.  I thought it was a good movie; Jared Leto and Nicholas Cage deliver solid performances.  However, now that I know the name Chris Roberts is attached to it, I suddenly find myself averted to the idea of watching it again; I attach all sorts of significance to some scenes that would have been innocuous if approached as the viewer of a stand-alone movie.  Suffice to say I think I'm allergic to Star Citizen as a project.

I hope this game rocks.  I hope it's everything you imagine it to be. image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

I don't know if there's a word in the English language that can accurately describe Star Citizen's aspect, but this article in Time magazine more or less nails my reaction to it so far.  It appears to have high production value, but does it have Soul?  Vendetta Online is a Soulful game; I write that after having played it for 11 years.  Star Citizen looks to be nearly everything Vendetta Online would have been with a much larger budget, but there are some important differences.  Star Citizen has uber-hype, but there is little to inspire confidence that it will have soul.

It's funny, I actually own the 2-disc DVD set to Lord of War.  I thought it was a good movie; Jared Leto and Nicholas Cage deliver solid performances.  However, now that I know the name Chris Roberts is attached to it, I suddenly find myself averted to the idea of watching it again; I attach all sorts of significance to some scenes that would have been innocuous if approached as the viewer of a stand-alone movie.  Suffice to say I think I'm allergic to Star Citizen as a project.

I hope this game rocks.  I hope it's everything you imagine it to be. image

Take some time to read all of the in-universe fiction that has been put out. Especially check out the 13 writer's guides which reveal an extremely detailed universe including the extensive timeline. There was even a video detailing how the concept art guys had to create architecture for every era. For each era, the writers had to create reasons why the architecture was how was  and they had to do mixes of them on each planet. Because in reality, why would a planet have ALL one era of buildings? 

Transcript of pages

Not to mention the script for Squadron 42 was at 1000+ pages whereas a normal script would be 120. They're trying to cut it down to 500, but they're not sure yet. 

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Ive not hidden the fact that i think backers are in for a heavy fall on this project

But let me get this straight -- I hope he does deliver even if it means me admitting im wrong, but if he doesn't i dont know if with the polar caps melting the world will be able to take all the tears from his fanbase, But my guess they will blame other things like teams/faith or some heaby-geaby anything other than the guy himself for it going belly up.

As for the title of this post there are easily 2 things wrongs it to begin with

1 - SC is not an MMO - this has been debated many times on many forums and even the guy himself says it isn't

2 - All Time would suggest that nothing ever released or to be released will be as good, thats some bold statement, I'm sure they said the same of many games in time gone by, Pong was best EVER SPORTS game , how does that stand up.

Sorry but when the title screams im a fan boy *faint* then any form of conversation will be a battle to begin with.

The fact is, if he delivers on his promises then yes it will be a damn good game, will it last, that is the million dollar question, and personally i dont think he will deliver, and if he does, it will be a cut down version, and then after maybe 1/2 years it will close out with nothing but a few fanboys keeping game alive after its been sold to a big games company EA looking at you.!

But as i said in the second line, I hope for you guys that the games promises to be what his wet dreams think it can be.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Star Citizen.  Not an MMO.

Gonna be awesome though.

Originally posted by Quazal.A

1 - SC is not an MMO - this has been debated many times on many forums and even the guy himself says it isn't

Yes..yes it is. The problem is, many people use MMO and MMORPG interchangeably. CIG was referring to it not being an MMORPG because there is no skill progression. They also wanted to make sure people realized that there is a lot more to the entire game than just the PU. It has a large single-player with co-op as well as the ability to create private servers. The Persistent Universe, however, is an MMO.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

A Space type game takes the most effort of any genre because it needs too many components to be done RIGHT and that is the key done right !.

It would be wonderful to even remotely think this guy can do the genre justice but i know it won't be done well enough to catch any of my attention but hey i would love to be wrong.

Yes i like that in that video they have a Unreal engine-esque type graphics and there are players running around a ship however after that is where these type of games falter badly.

You need several animations for ships to show the battle damage and you also need some exciting looking particle effects and fire power.More importantly is you need a LOT more than just massive boring space,it takes literally no effort at all to make null space ANYONE can do it,even a $5 dollar budget firing up the UDK "Unreal Development Kit" could do it.You need planets with assets on the planets,you need assets out in space ect ect.Basically you need 2-3 full games all packed into one to do it right.

What i do like is the mention of multi player ships but if it ends up as nothing more than an instance loading into a cockpit i am not interested in that lack of effort.

So bottom line is talk is super cheap,let this guy finish the game and see if he can pull it off,my gut says highly unlikely,just another Wing Commander with better graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    seems  today  players have no idea what is an MMO game,SC is not MMO it is SP game with MP
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    seems  today  players have no idea what is an MMO game,SC is not MMO it is SP game with MP

Uhh.. How do you figure?

Massive?        √

Multiplayer?    √

Online?           √

The wikipedia entry has "MMO" listed as: A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

It has a single Persistent Universe with a large number of players where your actions affect the entire PU for other players. Maybe this might not fit YOUR personal definition of an MMO, but the rest of us go by the actual definition.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

It seems you have no idea what the differences between Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are. What you say is true of Squadron 42 but dead false of Star Citizen. Why don't you go and get a clue and come on back. They are 2 separate entities that take place in the same universe but you'd know that already if you had even the slightest knowledge of what you speak.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

whatever ,but you are wrong,SC is not MMO it have only MP

... but have fun with your SC ,,mmo,, where you ll play with thousand players on same server,build,capturing,defending  star basses ,capturing & defending solar systems,making aliances, with players driven economy, ... etc

I ll stick with limited casual space shooter MP, what is SC  in real.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Not even remotely close. 

I was about to provide links with all the info you need but then realised that it's futile since you won't bother.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

whatever ,but you are wrong,SC is not MMO it have only MP

... but have fun with your SC ,,mmo,, where you ll play with thousand players on same server,build,capturing,defending  star basses ,capturing & defending solar systems,making aliances, with players driven economy, ... etc

Whatever yourself... Thousands to millions of players on the same server cluster interacting with each other sounds like a MMO to me even if it is instanced. By your definition most of the games on this site are not MMOs. Not every MMO has to be like EVE Online you know. Get a clue please.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Anyone who has ever played MMORPGS know exactly why this game is not considered a MMO.  We could sit here, write paragraph after paragraph detailing every aspect of past MMOs that were actually MMOs instead of these lobby, part time MMOs that you see today.

And in the end, you will respond with the same thing.  Copy and paste the wiki definition of a MMO.....

There is a dividing point over the past 15 years where you get the lobby MMO players who started with WOW when it turned into a part time lobby game, and the people who started with Ultima Online or EQ or original Asherons Call.  Those games were MMOs, the games you see today are not.  Simple as that.