Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox and Wildstar

ProkaryotikProkaryotik Member Posts: 38
Just recently read through the interview with Jeremy Gaffney and he mentioned how the game starts out as more of a themepark while more sandboxy elements are introduced in the later game. I've been loosely following this game so I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on what he is referring to. I know there is housing which is extremely sandboxy... like almost literally a sandbox... but I hope that's not all he's referring to. Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

every MMO is now called sandbox, it's the new trick to disguise themeparks as sandboxes now.

have an open world? Hey sandbox!

have some sort of housing (instanced but hey who cares) sandbox!

and so on

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    I expect what he meant is that they plan to expand the housing feature (as adding stuff) into game world. Like building stuff in new areas etc. Don't expect it soon.
  • AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I do not see currently any sandbox element in this game.

^.^'

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Prokaryotik
    Just recently read through the interview with Jeremy Gaffney and he mentioned how the game starts out as more of a themepark while more sandboxy elements are introduced in the later game. I've been loosely following this game so I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on what he is referring to. I know there is housing which is extremely sandboxy... like almost literally a sandbox... but I hope that's not all he's referring to. Thanks in advance for the help!

Originally posted by AzucarSalado
    I do not see currently any sandbox element in this game.

That's because there isn't.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ProkaryotikProkaryotik Member Posts: 38
    Ya no doubt. That's why I wanted to see what the community had to say rather than the developer :). So the only sandbox elements are the housing and the open world then?
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Only housing.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

WildStar isn't being sold as a sandbox game but it does contain sandbox elements as you progress through the game. Gaffney wasn't trying to pull a Smedly and say that WildStar was the 2nd coming of SWG or anything. Carbine has never said that. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

They don't want sandbox fans just ex-WoW players.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If they say the later game is more sandboxy..... it might be to hide the fact that there is way less content at higher levels then at lower levels...  

i.e. no content... people grind mobs... call it sandboxy, and failing to produce enough content suddenly becomes a feature.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If they say the later game is more sandboxy..... it might be to hide the fact that there is way less content at higher levels then at lower levels...  

i.e. no content... people grind mobs... call it sandboxy, and failing to produce enough content suddenly becomes a feature.

As a level 50 player I can assure you this is not what he was saying.

Originally posted by Prhyme

If you could elaborate on what you think he WAS saying that would be much appreciated!

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    marketing gimmick, same as "smart veggies", "smart this and that"
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

If you could elaborate on what you think he WAS saying that would be much appreciated!

Think he was more ref to the "no content at high level" part. 

But to your point, like someone said, he was probably talking about housing making it open world or i don't know lol. Probably best to ask someone on the Wildstar forums 

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Only housing.

... and warplots to a degree.

The experience starts out on rails then opens up to several choices once you reach higher levels. The game doesn't really dictate what you have to do.

I would equate this to be more like a themepark. Just because there are multiple rides doesn't mean they aren't scripted. You have lots of choice at Disneyland but once you ride it once or twice the thrill is a little lost... Sandboxy elements would denote, to me, something that you can have influence over and changes depending on what you decide for you, and for everyone else in the persistent world. The only things that seem to pop out to me that fit that model in this game are housing, and to an extent, crafting, but even still, since recipes are pretty set, getting a gun from one crafter is pretty much the same as getting one from another.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Probably ment you have a "sandbox" furniture for your house, maybe even in different shapes, but beyond that, its same themepark with same old formula.
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Your personal vendetta against Wildstar is showing again...

The experience starts out on rails then opens up to several choices once you reach higher levels. The game doesn't really dictate what you have to do.

Thats what the developers said....  And your experience probably tells us there is more then enough content to choose from at higher levels..   

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by killion81

Your personal vendetta against Wildstar is showing again...

Really vendetta... Then please tell me why i am on the verge of buying this game.... Being critical when developers say something withouth the proof to back it up has nothing to do with a vendetta..

My personal opinion is based on eighteen years of following MMOs and developers most of the time trying to hide the weaknesses of their games behind statements like this...  No, i am not a fanboy, but i said plenty of times. It seems there is more then enough to vote yes to this game...

now please say : Sorry good lord, i was wrong....because there is nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DocBrody

every MMO is now called sandbox, it's the new trick to disguise themeparks as sandboxes now.

have an open world? Hey sandbox!

have some sort of housing (instanced but hey who cares) sandbox!

and so on

bingo, I don't think those two words should be in the same sentence. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DebateNotHateDebateNotHate Member Posts: 6

Perhaps you guys are being a bit overly critical, though you have all the right in the world to do so. It could be PR talk or an actual assessment for future game mechanics. These guys have been playing it smart in my opinion; I'll explain why:

Their goal is to absorb as many players as possible, so their first focus is on an easy and enjoyable entrance to the game world. Yeah, this might make it very themeparkish, but you're allowing players to integrate with comfort and a type of relatedness to former MMOs. After you establish this type of entrance to the game, who says you can't integrate sandbox elements afterwards?

Perhaps they are looking at a way to inaugurate players before tacking on complex systems. Sadly, all we can do is wait and watch; either from within the game, or from the side-lines. These guys obviously want to succeed, so give it time, and with their slogan "The Devs are Listening," maybe they actually will add a lot of sandbox elements.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by DebateNotHate

Perhaps you guys are being a bit overly critical, though you have all the right in the world to do so. It could be PR talk or an actual assessment for future game mechanics. These guys have been playing it smart in my opinion; I'll explain why:

Their goal is to absorb as many players as possible, so their first focus is on an easy and enjoyable entrance to the game world. Yeah, this might make it very themeparkish, but you're allowing players to integrate with comfort and a type of relatedness to former MMOs. After you establish this type of entrance to the game, who says you can't integrate sandbox elements afterwards?

Perhaps they are looking at a way to inaugurate players before tacking on complex systems. Sadly, all we can do is wait and watch; either from within the game, or from the side-lines. These guys obviously want to succeed, so give it time, and with their slogan "The Devs are Listening," maybe they actually will add a lot of sandbox elements.

Yeah, if you put many "sandbox" furniture in your house it may seem sandboxy :)

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

It's not going to be more "sandboxy"... The devs say they want all of the people who quit WoW to come and play their game. They're going to add things to reach that goal. Every comment made in that interview screams anti-sandbox except Warplots and Housing. ALMOST. The Warplots and Housing are both "mini-games" and not really persistant like it'd be in a sandbox. I mean... capturing a Raid Boss and using it your warzone is a pretty ingenious idea though. (although L2 the wielder of the Demon Sword Zarache made the player an actual raid boss...that's a kool idea too :P)

Not trying to be negative, though. Just saying the game isn't a Sandbox and it isn't geared to that crowed.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DebateNotHate

A few things of late are reminding me a lot of the run up to GW2, they're using a lot of the same "we're the good guys", "the ones who care" type of PR speak/actions. I wonder if Ncsoft has anything to do with that. This sandbox statement is along the same lines as well, due to dev speak and buzzwords a lot of GW2 fans took to calling it "sandbox like" for a while before launch as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson