Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game with very in-depth economy besides Eve?

daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
So I have been in a rut lately looking for a fun game so I got a free trial to Eve.  I am having a surprising amount of fun playing the game, unfortunately I am playing it for only one aspect and that's the amazing crafting/economy that's in the game.  Also unfortunately I am just really not feeling the whole space theme, and the community is absolutely toxic.  I feel like I have taken something away from my time there though, in that I might enjoy a game like that where I can focus exclusively on crafting/resource gathering/trading/wealth acquisition and not so much on combat and leveling up.  Is there a game that anyone can recommend that has close to Eve's depth in that regard?  Would prefer FTP or if not a free trial but it's not totally mandatory, and good graphics are a plus but I am willing to try anything.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    ArcheAge

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Check this topic: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/18/the-daily-grind-what-mmo-has-the-best-economy/

Yeah I actually stumbled across that article when I was doing a google search.  The commenters overwhelmingly suggested Eve which is what I am trying to stay away from.  Archeage is on my radar for sure, but the game isn't out and I refuse to pay an exorbitant amount of money to perform a service for them and find all their bugs in alpha.  I was hoping to get a few of the same recommendations from posters here since this site specializes in MMOs.  I figure if 2 or more people recommend the same game it may have some merit :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by dais

I was hoping to get a few of the same recommendations from posters here since this site specializes in MMOs.  

Is it bad that this make me laugh ?

economy seems to be one of those things that fell to the side lines in the age of wow "clones" So few mmos have any real crafting anymore. Diablo 3 probably has a better economy than 90% of the mmos out there right now....unless you consider buying crafting mats to grind pointless trade skills an economy I guess.

Eve is still your best bet.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

None.

EVE is the only one with meaningful economy.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    FFXI has the deepest economy that I personally experienced. I can't compare it to Eve since I didn't enjoy Eve enough to get far enough into it to remember the economy. Other than FFXI, most have been pretty bare. At this point however, FFXI's economy was very dead the last time I played but in its golden days it was awesome.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Perpetuum. It is b2p. And It is basically Eve with robots, wasd controls and terrain tactics. Even their interfaces are the same. In my opinion Perpetuum's pvp is much better than Eve because of its combat and terrain mechanics. It is $28.99 on steam. Perpetuum is in alpha stage right now but It is not a new game so it is more like a released game. There is enough population in the game. Since Perpetuum's world is pretty small compared to Eve's world, there are always players on every island. And population is growing every day.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by dais
    So I have been in a rut lately looking for a fun game so I got a free trial to Eve.  I am having a surprising amount of fun playing the game, unfortunately I am playing it for only one aspect and that's the amazing crafting/economy that's in the game.  Also unfortunately I am just really not feeling the whole space theme, and the community is absolutely toxic.  I feel like I have taken something away from my time there though, in that I might enjoy a game like that where I can focus exclusively on crafting/resource gathering/trading/wealth acquisition and not so much on combat and leveling up.  Is there a game that anyone can recommend that has close to Eve's depth in that regard?  Would prefer FTP or if not a free trial but it's not totally mandatory, and good graphics are a plus but I am willing to try anything.

The only other game is called uncharted waters online. It has a better crafting system than eve, and the economy is great. There is also NPC trading. It is completely free to play, I mean you can play the whole game and not pay anything. Just don't get addicted to the cash shop, it is one of those lottery things. Where you can get slightly better stuff. Stay away from everything but, exp boosts, and no pvp flags and you will be fine.  I just don't like the graphics, but it's the longest Mmo I have played. I enjoyed trading and the economy and didn't do anything else. Adventuring is also fun. This game though can be played with out combat.

You can do fine with out the cash shop stuff. They ban gold sellers within 2 mins last time I played. They run events every day. The community is rather good to. There has only been 2 mmos I have played for more then a months a time. Uncharted waters only I played for six months straight every day, and the original eq which I played for a year straight. I have played almost all of them, minus most free to play games. I played even for a month, but if all you enjoyed was the economy and crafting, I feel you will enjoy this game much better. I only played eve for the crafting, and economy 2.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Wyrdfell
    Perpetuum. It is b2p. And It is basically Eve with robots, wasd controls and terrain tactics. Even their interfaces are the same. In my opinion Perpetuum's pvp is much better than Eve because of its combat and terrain mechanics. It is $28.99 on steam. Perpetuum is in alpha stage right now but It is not a new game so it is more like a released game. There is enough population in the game. Since Perpetuum's world is pretty small compared to Eve's world, there are always players on every island. And population is growing every day.

Pereptuum is nothing like EVE, it is completely lacking the depth.

The game was released yers ago and it is dying since, by good margin due defunct economy...

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    The economy is Achaea is totally player-driven. Your healing elixirs / herbs come from harvesting, your weapons/armor comes from forging, your clothes come from tailoring, etc. Also most of the shops in cities are player-owned.