Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Video] Some intense combat in Black Desert

124»

Comments

• MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Pigozz
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Personally think it looks like a japanese console game that never gets released in the west.  Was interested in this game until i saw that vid.

And seriously, what is with those slot machine sound effects?

You should see other videos of ACTUAL gameplay, itl blow your mind off

I agree that the official combat gameplay is completely off - over the top effects, weird sound and graphics

That video is not just off - it completely put me off the whole game.  I had been really excited about the game - best detailed massive space 'real' graphics in an MMO since Vanguard.  But that combat video was truly horrible.  Many of my gaming community have been turned off by the Tekken-style combat coupled with the pinball machine sounds.

Awful disappointment.

• KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Combat looks really dull compared to Blade & soul
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Pigozz
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Personally think it looks like a japanese console game that never gets released in the west.  Was interested in this game until i saw that vid.

And seriously, what is with those slot machine sound effects?

You should see other videos of ACTUAL gameplay, itl blow your mind off

I agree that the official combat gameplay is completely off - over the top effects, weird sound and graphics

Maybe after it gets released they'll be some better player made vids and people will look again.  As long as the official vids haven't done too much damage that is:).

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Looks great. 

One thing that's weird though is it seems the melee characters were playing defensive, where normally against a sorcerer class they would be playing aggressive.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Originally posted by KarontenoKamii
    Combat looks really dull compared to Blade & soul

I know one peersons opinion might not make or break your opinion

But this guy stated it has the best combat system he has ever seen, much better than vindictus, blade and soul or c9

He said the only thing that breaks it is the AI - which will be changed as Pearl Abyss stated

http://my.mmosite.com/3031804/blog/item/black_desert_online_kr_combat_review.html

Steparu and others agree that the combat is awesome as well

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    that combat looks really good but the screen shake with every hit (designed to hide lack of weapon impact on target) hurt my eyes. Hopefully they allow the option to disable screen shake. It does look really good besides that.

• LagKingBongLagKingBong Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Alders

As long as i can turn off all that camera shake and flash then it'll be fine.

At the same time, i'm really tired of seeing solo combat in trailers and previews.  I'd like to hear and see how group content works in this game and how classes interact with each other.  There is a video showing off class class buffing but i'd like to see that expanded on.

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to turn it off - as that is the "style" of combat they went for - more of an arcade fighter style.

As a fighting game fan, I understand the combo - flash and pause system that fighting games utilize (especially when it comes to frame counting) - but I am still not convinced that this is necessary in a MMORPG.

I sort of doubt that there is ANY reason to do this (as frame counting in Black Desert is pointless, it's not a fighting game) - so yes I can see it as a huge turnoff.

Confirmed to b turned off/simmered down if desired in Options on latest build - rest of post moot. IDK why you would think gauging a framerate would b pointless in BD..

I do believe they were aiming for a more realistic combat feel to give attacks weight, however. Ever swung a sword and hit something? Body doesn't quite stay still while the sword absorbs the shock, but most classic MMO animations would suggest otherwise...

However the older people make up enough of the MMO market where that would be an issue if left omitted in the final release build regardless of their reasons.

Homogenizing animation styles to cater to everyone is not the answer folks. Silders/Toggles should be the only answer the players not happy with the devs' vision. Still don't like it? Well...

Plenty of other more tactical, less arcade-style action MMOs still going strong/being released for those less inclined to try something different. ESO being one of them (twitch? psh my ass Zeni..)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I like the solo gameplay, but as others stated, the mob AI is dreadful at this point.  If you can run into the middle of 20 mobs and not die, the game lacks any level of realism.  I'm sure they'll adjust it.

To go on a tangent about the linked guild pvp video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URrV3I_J-mk&hd=1)...

This game desperately needs a more cooperative and tactical approach to combat.  After seeing the large scale fights, the game looks more like an assist train dps race than it does a true reactive intelligent combat system. (reminded of guild wars 2, ew)

To fix this they need to do a few things.  First, there needs to be healer classes.  Second, there needs to be more emphasis on cooperative group based gameplay, even in a large scale battle.  Every war is comprised of large groups or battalions, and then smaller outfits and squads.  Squads or groups should be coordinating with their guild, but operating as a single unit to fulfill smaller objectives collectively.  It seems almost completely unnecessary in these videos.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Everything looks great except the white flash with every hit. That would give me a headache after a while.

The white flash on every hit and the constant screen shaking.   I just don't get what this adds to the game besides retina burn and a headache.  I think someone on that development team needs to look up the word subtle, or complimentary.  Its like ending every sentence with an Fbomb because your trying to be cool.  After a while its not cool just annoying and childish. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Man that orc at 00:34 was just minding his own business.

Black Desert's combat looks a little intense, it's like Vindictus or TERA except not a complete waste (though does it really need to take just as long to kill things as in those games?).  I'm still not sure I could play it for long without feeling worn out.

All those mouse clicks.  *wheeze*

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I wouldn't mind it if it was just relegated to combat, but even the fishing is like this.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

You can barely see half of the character combo animation with the awful motion blur and flashes.

Other than that looks nice, the dual wield barbarian whirlwind looked nice....

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Game looks amazing, the flashy white explosions gave me a headache almost instantly.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by gimmiblackdesertnow

It shows some crazy mechanics quite nicely that are involved in the pve combat. Among many other greatness, the mobility of your character and interactivity with the mobs (like lifting them up and smashing them into the rest) are pretty pretty neat. Never seen such impactful combat paired with this kind of beautifully rendered environment and models in an mmo or just any other game. The second part is even more intriguing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTg619Sw7k

Nice graphics and the engine looks excellent.  I can't stand the "I have ADHD" special effects.  I can actually pay attention to a title that has far less pezaazzz...and more quality game play (I'll let you know when I find that kind of game).  I come from the old school Dark Age of Camelot era, so perhaps I'm spoiled and biased.

I also feel like I should be putting a quarter into this game to make it play.  As a video game, yeah sure, why not.  But developers have forgotten the cool factor of heroic mortals battling fantasy enemies.  This here is another anime' influenced game where there is a very fine line drawn between god like characters and just heroes.

There's a reason why George RR Martin's Game of Thrones is so popular and so refreshing over the traditional Legolas can shoot three arrows while spinning around a horse in the middle of a battlefield type combat.  But that's my 2 cents.