Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekly Stream cancelled: surprise EA training before 3-day holiday

ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=743100

Today , 09:07 AM  This is the last staff post in this thread.  

Hey folks,

Quick heads up that we are not going to have any streams this week. We have a company event and the Community team will be in some software training. Unfortunately we just wont be available during the normal stream times. Things will kick back to normal next week.

-eric

Eric Musco | Community Manager

Training is kind of odd to have on a Friday afternoon/night with the 3-day weekend right there. Silly suspicions aside; Is playing a game while people watch hard? Is having a buddy watch your chat channel to moderate it for 2 hours too much work? Apparently so, since you're not going to play your own game for 2 hours later in the day because you aren't being paid for it.

I don't know, I'm not really mad, but I just have to laugh at the absurdity of the situation. That it had to be announced, that it wasn't going to happen, that it's trivial and important to the company at the same time. Yeah, I'm jelly that my job isn't "to level in an MMO for 2 hours with an audience and half that time is load screens and dialogue anyways, and I'm somehow off the hook for even that." XD

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Impacthound
    I don't know, I'm not really mad, but I just have to laugh at the absurdity of the situation. That it had to be announced, that it wasn't going to happen, that it's trivial and important to the company at the same time. Yeah, I'm jelly that my job isn't "to level in an MMO for 2 hours with an audience and half that time is load screens and dialogue anyways, and I'm somehow off the hook for even that." XD

It isn't absurd at all if you have a basic understanding of how a real company functions and why employees can't just do a corporate function off the clock. Also training on a Friday isn't odd at all. It's a job, not high school. 

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Omali

It isn't absurd at all if you have a basic understanding of how a real company functions and why employees can't just do a corporate function off the clock. Also training on a Friday isn't odd at all. It's a job, not high school. 

My company honors the first day of deer hunting season in November and everyone is off as a paid holiday, even when the vast majority of our employees aren't hunters(anymore). 'Real companies' rarely make sense, it was just something to discuss since there hadn't been a new topic in a few days.

If it were me, I'd consider doing it anyways after hours since the doors don't officially close here at 5, or at home. If you were a community team member, would you think about doing it off the clock or strictly no?