Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not relaunch SWG pre-cu?

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

SWTOR is BARELY alive

You have an odd interpretation of the word 'barely'

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    [mod edit]

As a game, in my opinion, it was mediocre. Combat was quite poorly designed and for a lot of professions led to one or two key ablities being all you needed. Stats and buffs were a total mess and unbalanced - fully buffed you could solo a Nightsister Elder. The planets, while large and beautiful in places, were also rather empty with the same assets used over and over and little variation. Missions were tedious credit grind and later on became only about destroying the lair to pick up the reward.

Those are my opinions on the game, yours may differ. However that's not to say the experience of playing the game back in 2003/4 wasn't epic. It was, but that had everything to do with the community and not the game mechanics.

[mod edit]

Have to agree on your combat part but I really never play MMORPG for it's combat, kinda the same for me with other games with the RPG tag it's never the combat but everything else. I also loved the imbalance, it gave me some good times not knowing your enemy player, loved the more world feel instead of today's gamefeel of the world. Mission where never meant to be more then get some starter credits or simply for locating certain animal resources.

And if SWG didn't have the game mechanics it had it would never have gotten that community we had back then. So in my opinion the gamemechanics had everything to do with getting the community together.

As for relaunch SWG today, no way they shouldn't do it regardless it's my nr 1 MMORPG ever it will not be well recieved with today's critics. (not meant towards you Vonatar) just commonly speaking

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

If SWTOR would feel threatened and endangered it just further indicator that the game is not great enough to generate decent revenue. 

SWTOR easily makes more revenue than SWG ever did.

at its peak SWG had 300k subs.  300k x 15 x 12 = 54 million

SWTOR generated 140 million alone in cash shop sales, and has a lot of subs of its own.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

EA and Disney are the only publishers that can release Star Wars video games for the next decade.

That doesn't apply to online games.

You honestly think Disney and SoE and EA are all going to play nice together?

SWTOR is BARELY alive, the launch of ANOTHER Star Wars MMO would destroy it, and EA would get pissed at Disney, and everything would go to shit.

Are you people seriously this short sighted?

If SWTOR would feel threatened and endangered it just further indicator that the game is not great enough to generate decent revenue. Beside both SWTOR and SWG-pre CU might have the same IP, but they are both completely different games by design and because of this they could co exist together.

Yes, but publishers and higher ups are stupid, they don't realize that, else SWTOR wouldn't have been made the way it was (because who would intentionally make a shitty game?).

All they'd see is two Star Wars MMOs. EA would feel betrayed, as they're the go to company for Star Wars right now. It would never happen. And if it did, it would cost SoE a MASSIVE amount of money to renew the license.

• xtravertxtravert Member UncommonPosts: 134

There are a lot of old games I've tried to go back to and it never seems to end well.  Sometimes absence does make the heart grow fonder and we forget all imperfections.  Pre-CU had it's share of issues and constant fixing.  I'll always remember it fondly as one of my first MMOs.

With the new movies coming down the pipe I'd be pleased if they designed another MMO to go along with those movie releases.  Same flavour as SWG but newer content and it doesn't step on SWTOR toes necessarily as they are different points in time.  Just make it more sandboxy. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    The hard truth? There are only a handful of nerds asking for it. They live in the past and should move on. Its unhealthy behavior.

This times 2! 

Reality is people really don't want to play it. Look at Shards Online. It's basically done (since they are starting to allow people in starting this weekend), it's a sandboxer's wet dream and they can't get a thousand people to be on board with it. That's despite some decent coverage here, where I figured sandbox fans thrived. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• krimson89krimson89 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    The hard truth? There are only a handful of nerds asking for it. They live in the past and should move on. Its unhealthy behavior.

This times 2! 

Reality is people really don't want to play it. Look at Shards Online. It's basically done (since they are starting to allow people in starting this weekend), it's a sandboxer's wet dream and they can't get a thousand people to be on board with it. That's despite some decent coverage here, where I figured sandbox fans thrived. 

Dude what? Shards online is top down point and click from what I can see... It's an entirely different kind of game regardless if it's sandbox or not. That's not what I'm looking for and I bet there's a lot of people. That looks like a trip 10 years into the past to play a graphically updated Runescape... Certainly not my wet dream.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by syriinx

If SWTOR would feel threatened and endangered it just further indicator that the game is not great enough to generate decent revenue. 

SWTOR easily makes more revenue than SWG ever did.

at its peak SWG had 300k subs.  300k x 15 x 12 = 54 million

SWTOR generated 140 million alone in cash shop sales, and has a lot of subs of its own.

Firstly, there are so many factors that make the entire debate of "revenue comparement" obsolete. Factors like the gaming market in general, not just the MMO market now and 11 years ago is marginally bigger. Then you got inflation, which makes the $ back then far more valuable than today. Back then also companies weren't experienced enough to explore different model types and exercise other alternative options to generate further revenue. Like tiers, paying for DLC, cash shops, sub benefits compared to F2P and so on and so on.

One thing is certain having a 300k sub game in 2003+ was considered a great success to a game.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    The end point of this thread, is really whether The Repopulation and/or H1Z1 will deliver the SWG experience that people hanker after. Sure, no Star Wars IP, but then that's not what made SWG what is was either.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This times 2! 

It's a kickstarter.... which there have been plenty of sandboxes funded through, that can only work for so many titles eventually the money pool dries up, there's only so many gamers to go around.

The only unhealthy behavior being displayed here is that of those in this quote string above. Why bother yourself about what others want that you don't?

Putting people you don't know down is some of the unhealthiest behavior one can partake in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by krimson89

This times 2! 

Dude what? Shards online is top down point and click from what I can see... It's an entirely different kind of game regardless if it's sandbox or not. That's not what I'm looking for and I bet there's a lot of people. That looks like a trip 10 years into the past to play a graphically updated Runescape... Certainly not my wet dream.

Well if you're just looking for a Star Wars MMO, SWTOR is always there. Otherwise, there's The Repopulation, I suppose. Regardless of your impression of Shards, specifically, the fact is there is no market for SWG. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Originally posted by krimson89

This times 2! 

Well if you're just looking for a Star Wars MMO, SWTOR is always there. Otherwise, there's The Repopulation, I suppose. Regardless of your impression of Shards, specifically, the fact is there is no market for SWG. 

I'm not asking for nor do I expect SWG to ever come back. Nor do I think it would do well.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Cost of the IP vs the number of players that would play it. Also another MMO is out now that has the Star Wars IP so that will lower the subs there. Biggest of all, there are some solid Sandbox MMOs coming out over the next year. Relaunching a 10 year old game with all I have listed... not the smartest business move.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    [mod edit]
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Disney has kept part of he license for online games such as browser based games and portable tablet games MMO rights are still firmly with EA

This times 2! 

It's a kickstarter.... which there have been plenty of sandboxes funded through, that can only work for so many titles eventually the money pool dries up, there's only so many gamers to go around.

The only unhealthy behavior being displayed here is that of those in this quote string above. Why bother yourself about what others want that you don't?

Putting people you don't know down is some of the unhealthiest behavior one can partake in.

I don't think I put anyone down, did I? I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm not condoning their comments, but to suggest that there is a market for a game that is long dead and gone is ridiculous. Why not start a petition or something? Oh wait! They've already done that before. Hmmm, let's see. Change.org has a few petitions, the largest got 1500 people to sign. Not enough to even justify pressing the power button on the SWG build server. There is a petition to finish SW1313, though (9600 signatures), another for 1313 (2200 sigs). You know what? Start up a petition and get 100k, get 20k, get 10k then you can tell me there's something worth fussing over. I'm just stating fact that people don't care!! Shoot, almost a million people signed a petition to release GTA on PC, SWG can't even get 1% of that. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    That's why I said possible not legal. I'm not sure.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Tyggs

Why, why, why? It's simply far superior than anything that is available out there and that will remain until 2015+ and that is the absolute and undeniable truth. Anyone who disagrees on that is welcome to share his opinions.

So, why not relaunch it?

If it was so good, why is it so dead? The game was never good. It had a strong IP and a great community. That was all. If the game was "simply far superior than anything that is available out there", it would have been popular enough to have remained live. That is the truth. What you believe may be different, but the truth does not change.

As far as I remember the demise of SWG was primarely from SOE shooting itself in the knee with its ill advised changes, primarely NGE (which is why you hear people continue mention "Pre-CU). There has been an outcry of thousands of players through the decade that continuesly showed how great SWG was before that happened.

Also, threads like this are helpful so the younger, newer market to this genre can actually see what else has existed in this genre before the WOW era.

Bad memory. The game was already bleeding subs before the CU and NGE. These two changes were introduced to try to stem the bleed but as history showed, it just made things worse....

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

[mod edit]

I don't think I put anyone down, did I? I'm sorry if you feel that way. I'm not condoning their comments, but to suggest that there is a market for a game that is long dead and gone is ridiculous. Why not start a petition or something? Oh wait! They've already done that before. Hmmm, let's see. Change.org has a few petitions, the largest got 1500 people to sign. Not enough to even justify pressing the power button on the SWG build server. There is a petition to finish SW1313, though (9600 signatures), another for 1313 (2200 sigs). You know what? Start up a petition and get 100k, get 20k, get 10k then you can tell me there's something worth fussing over. I'm just stating fact that people don't care!! Shoot, almost a million people signed a petition to release GTA on PC, SWG can't even get 1% of that. 

Petitions are not an indicator to popularity since majority (including me) have not been aware or do not bother partcipating and wasting their times on. The only true test to see if the game is popular or not is to relaunch it. The underlined part above is also just your opinion and I vehemently disagree. The cost to relaunch the game with a single server that requires far less resources (thanks to the dated technology) is in my opinion insignificant compared to the price of not actually doing it and never having the opporunity to really know if there is a marker or not out there.

One thing is certain, if I someone who's been involved with gaming for 22+ years passionately wishes to play that game over anything else that's available out there, I'm sure I won't be a minority.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

This times 2! 

I don't view this as anything more than a topic of idle conversation, everyone has their views and likes to share them, there has been nothing said here that is unhealthy or outrageous, well maybe my first comment in the thread but that was a joke.

Now that begs the question WTH are you on about?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

I loved SWG.  Teary-eyed, heart-aflutter capital L loved.  My happiest MMO moment was when I finally attained Master Ranger.  It's the only MMO my very best lifelong friends and I ever played together.  In large part that decade old game is still the reason I play MMOs today.  However, even if a relaunch was possible, I feel certain it would be a disappointment (for me and for whomever was hoping to make money off it). 

It's easy to forget the many problems with combat that precipitated the Combat Upgrade or how the hologrind fundamentally changed the character of the game.  Or the massively empty swaths of planets that were often only good for juking around in your speeder (I was a Ranger, I made a point of traversing all the real estate).  Or that the cantinas felt so busy only because half of the entertainers were really afk and using macros to grind and earn credits.  The game had problems, real problems that kept it from living up to its potential and necessitated Sony's tinkering in the first place.

Not even its status as one of the best sandbox MMOs could save it from being a really dated and really controversial title to be re-relased in 2014.  I certainly don't see several hundred thousand people paying for the privilege of playing it in all its wonderful (and wonderfully broken) glory.

As far as I remember the demise of SWG was primarely from SOE shooting itself in the knee with its ill advised changes, primarely NGE (which is why you hear people continue mention "Pre-CU). There has been an outcry of thousands of players through the decade that continuesly showed how great SWG was before that happened.

Also, threads like this are helpful so the younger, newer market to this genre can actually see what else has existed in this genre before the WOW era.

Bad memory. The game was already bleeding subs before the CU and NGE. These two changes were introduced to try to stem the bleed but as history showed, it just made things worse....

Oh, but you forgot to mention one of the primary factors for bleeding subs, which was the way SOE handled support. SOE perma banned individuals for minor violations that also happened on forums (not in game) against other individuals without any prior violations. I was one of those individuals and many others experienced harsh punishments from SOE.

NGE was more like a karma to SOE for the way it handled issues.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Why, why, why? It's simply far superior than anything that is available out there and that will remain until 2015+ and that is the absolute and undeniable truth. Anyone who disagrees on that is welcome to share his opinions.

So, why not relaunch it?

A: Disney owns Star Wars,EA owns the right to make Star Wars games. Sony can´t come within 5 miles of anything star wars any more. 

B: The game was a mess... You might not think so because you was either a ironmonger or used the handful of opted builds that was viable. For you it was plenty of content. For the rest of the 70% of the game... Not so much. And if you were a entertainer or a non-combat related crafter.... You were treated as a second grade NPC. Trust me.... I was there.

C: Class balance was... Well there was not one.

D: Holo-grind.

E:  No jumping.

F: So... Many... Bugs...

G: Useless movie tie-in content.

H: Animal tamers getting rear-ended like it was an open bar at the blue oyster.

I: It is so old and did not look that good to begin with. By todays standard it would look like a sack of bricks

Those are the reason i could come up with listed from the most important to the least. Simply put it is a lot easier to hang on to those cherrished memories then to try and find your way back to a game that never existed. Agin trust me.. I am closing in on 35 and for each year my teen years look better and better... But trust me they were not.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by thecapitaine

I loved SWG.  Teary-eyed, heart-aflutter capital L loved.  My happiest MMO moment was when I finally attained Master Ranger.  It's the only MMO my very best lifelong friends and I ever played together.  In large part that decade old game is still the reason I play MMOs today.  However, even if a relaunch was possible, I feel certain it would be a disappointment (for me and for whomever was hoping to make money off it). 

It's easy to forget the many problems with combat that precipitated the Combat Upgrade or how the hologrind fundamentally changed the character of the game.  Or the massively empty swaths of planets that were often only good for juking around in your speeder (I was a Ranger, I made a point of traversing all the real estate).  Or that the cantinas felt so busy only because half of the entertainers were really afk and using macros to grind and earn credits.  The game had problems, real problems that kept it from living up to its potential and necessitated Sony's tinkering in the first place.

Not even its status as one of the best sandbox MMOs could save it from being a really dated and really controversial title to be re-relased in 2014.  I certainly don't see several hundred thousand people paying for the privilege of playing it in all its wonderful (and wonderfully broken) glory.

Yes, that is why I've been always against cheating and any ways that allow the player to make his experience easier through scripting in this case "macros". Macros should not exist in a game and they can easily be tweaked or disabled when it comes to SWG.

And I would certanly not pay a sub if the game does not deliver continues, scheduled content but I would gladly pay decent $ to just be able to be part of a true Star Wars immersive world. I would totally pay $50-60 per year or $5 per month since that is in my opinion reasonable for what I'll be receiving.

This discussion has been closed.