Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development is moving forward - Pantheon will still get made

2»

Comments

• ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    OP is right!  Brad can do it.. The Pantheon community should take a loan out of at least 10k and give it to Brad.  It would speed the process up so we can play Pantheon sooner!  
  • EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112

I am one of the biggest original EQ homers you're likely to find.  I also pushed the Vanguard hype train big time because I believed in Brad and the vision.  I did not donate to Pantheon because of what happened with Vanguard. I decided to take a wait and see approach.  

I would love for this game to get made but if you honestly think it will at this point without serious financial backing from SOE or some sort, I think you're being delusional. If he half ass finishes a third of the game and then sells out to SOE again, the game will not be what followers of the game want it to be so what is the point really?  

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by lugal
    Vaporware. Never gonna happen. Find another burned out druggie game dev to throw money at.

Brhahahaha , this ^ ! This is a very cynical attempt to keep the money flowing.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Vaporware. Never gonna happen. Find another burned out druggie game dev to throw money at.

Saying Vaporware is just a piss in the pool my friend.

You know what the games people screamed vaporware at?

Darkfall

Duke Nukem Forever

LA Noire

FUCKING MORROWIND!!

Darkfall (I assume you mean the remake) was never considered vaporware.  People knew it was coming out; they just also knew the developer sucked and so they didn't exactly hold out much hope for it being very good.

Duke Nukem Forever WAS vaporware for, like, 15 years.  The fact that someone eventually released a crappy game with the same title doesn't change the fact.

LA Noire was definitely a slow release, but it was a big game that changed publishers a few times.  Not to mention it was a Rockstar game, pretty much all of which take a while to make.

"Fucking" Morrowind had a typical development time for a game, especially considering they had to build or implement a lot of technology from the ground up.  They really didn't start working on the game until something like 1999 after Redguard had launched.  Morrowind was released in Early 2002, so not really sure how you consider that vaporware.

This first sentance cracked me up, if you followed this forum at all in the past you would know that literally a LARGE majority of the boards thought Darkfall was Vaporware, constantly citing the pushbacks and few internal leaked videos as signs of incompetence, maybe it was, but geuss what, people with visions make games, and they make they their own way, forums dont dictate that. 

I just feel like people on these forums think that by bashing the game endlessly or pushing this anti-brad agenda that they can actually detour the development.

Also you are wrong about Morrowind as well, Morrowind production actually began shortly after Battlespire was released, they used the same engine for Morrowind that was used in redguard and were developing the game behind redguard internally with a small team until RG was released in 1998.  Morrowind was considered vaporware for a long time because people found out they scrapped the original engine in favor of a modified redguard engine. 

Is Pantheon going to be the next Morrowind? No. But I just dont think calling a game that has some internal problems vaporware, lots of smaller companies go through this, and like I said a Vision can make the difference. Brad has a vision, just like Vanguard, which I loved and understand the hate for, but cant call it a bad game on release, it just wasnt polished.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Darkfall

Duke Nukem Forever

LA Noire

FUCKING MORROWIND!!

Darkfall (I assume you mean the remake) was never considered vaporware.  People knew it was coming out; they just also knew the developer sucked and so they didn't exactly hold out much hope for it being very good.

Duke Nukem Forever WAS vaporware for, like, 15 years.  The fact that someone eventually released a crappy game with the same title doesn't change the fact.

LA Noire was definitely a slow release, but it was a big game that changed publishers a few times.  Not to mention it was a Rockstar game, pretty much all of which take a while to make.

"Fucking" Morrowind had a typical development time for a game, especially considering they had to build or implement a lot of technology from the ground up.  They really didn't start working on the game until something like 1999 after Redguard had launched.  Morrowind was released in Early 2002, so not really sure how you consider that vaporware.

"But I just dont think calling a game that has some internal problems"

Have to say this made lmao ...  " some " internal promblems .. really ?  Fucking understatement of the year dude .. !

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

*deletia*

P.S. Microsoft backed off this guy. Microsoft. They are notorious for releasing trash to just patch it later. And they were scared of him.

Oh dear holy mother of God, you just won this thread

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by summitus

Darkfall

Duke Nukem Forever

LA Noire

FUCKING MORROWIND!!

Have to say this made lmao ...  " some " internal promblems .. really ?  Fucking understatement of the year dude .. !

yup had the same reaction to that. 

I don't know why but it made me think of the new guy being shown around the office and Brad rushes past with an arm full of money running for the door, and the guy showing the new person around turns to him and says " so let me show you to your desk" 

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I've never believed in the concept behind this game, and after this latest string of crap I don't believe Brad anymore. After Vanguard I could have given him a pass due to the timing of everything surrounding WoW and the new VP at Microsoft. I just question his judgement now.

As the saying goes. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Not going for a third time.

I think at this point we could organize a kickstarter to oppose Pantheon and raise more money to prevent development, than Brad can for it.

I want pantheon made.  I want Brad to be a lead designer.  I dont want him in charge of the company making it.

LOL that would assume Brad knows how to code, which he doesn't .  He has never coded anything, all he has ever done is used people, lied, and stolen other peoples work.  

If he has ever had any success at all, I'd call him the Bill Gates of mmo's, but at least Bill Gates paid a little money for the resource code he stole.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

I don't understand why Brad needs our money to make his game. Didn't he make enough money to make a low budget mmo from his time at SoE and the selling of Vanguard. If he wants me to trust him, he needs to use his own money for the entire process. He might actually make a good game then instead of robbing the EQ community who wants to believe he will make the next EQ successor.

P.S. Microsoft backed off this guy. Microsoft. They are notorious for releasing trash to just patch it later. And they were scared of him.

Blink. 

Microsoft cut ties with Brad when Vanguard missed the 5th contractual deadline in a row, and they realized Brad was a con artist with no real experience to back up his BS claims.

Basically Brad is a bad sub contractor, he makes you a bunch of promises, takes your money throws a few cheap unskilled laborers at the project and walks away counting your money.

Did it to SOE, Did it to Microsoft, Did it to new management at SOE, tried it with others like EA and Trion, but they realized before getting in bed with him. 

Now his rep is burned with real game studios so he is using kickstarter to play his cons on the gamers themselves.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

With the annoucement that a new team of volunteers is working on the game, a more pulled back direction on the creation of content for the time being, and a new direction for community involvement, I think its time to accept that this game will get made, regardless of the news floating around. 

The simple fact of the matter here is that Brad is still going to put the game out, and while it is unfortunate that things internally didnt go as planned, the vilification of Mcquaid as some sort of monstorous human being is literally founded in internet posts, blurry facebook photos, and a slew of other questionable sources. 

Im sorry but I cant logically assume Brad is a terrible person and deserves all this hate, simply based on the information available to us. If there was more concrete reliable news sites posting on the subject, or researching, then you might have something.

But this whole run of internet journalism isnt an abjucated process, its literally word of mouth dicussions that snowball into entire threads and posts about how much they hate a singular person working on a very small time game.

Im not saying Brad hasnt made mistakes in the past or even now, but trust me, this game is still getting made, accept it, live with it.

Hmmm.

I declare shenanigans.

This is troll bait.  Tsk, tsk, to anyone who took it seriously.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Darkfall

Duke Nukem Forever

LA Noire

FUCKING MORROWIND!!

You do know vaporware is just a term used to define software that hasn't reached consumers. Example: Duke Nukem: Forever was the longest living vaporware in terms of video games. However, since it released it's no longer vaporware. The Anarchy Online Graphics Engine revamp is vaporware as it has also been in production for 5-6 years. Divergence Onlin in my opinion is the new longest running vaporware product; as the game has been in production for around 8 years now with very little progress. 

You do know people say Vaporware to indicate a game that will never release (IE a false hope)...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by summitus

Darkfall

Duke Nukem Forever

LA Noire

FUCKING MORROWIND!!

yup had the same reaction to that. 

I don't know why but it made me think of the new guy being shown around the office and Brad rushes past with an arm full of money running for the door, and the guy showing the new person around turns to him and says " so let me show you to your desk" 

Hahaha that was seriously the most hilarious mental image I've garnered from a post on here. Thank you for that!

• redbug1redbug1 Member Posts: 21
    In all seriousness, Pathfinder kickstarter looks legit.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well i am inclined to agree wtih the OP on some points.

I am sure the game will be released... After all you do not need to be a rocket engineer to put a game together these days... Heck Goat Sim have shown us that you do not even need a game... Just release a part of your systems sandbox and make tons of dosh.

Now the interesting question is.. what will the game be...? And this is the point where i think the game will be a letdown to no end. I say this as someone who was in the Vanguard beta and kept tabs on the game as it.. well... Died a slow death.

Now i personally think that Brad should have done the smart thing and called me before he started to burn through the budget... =P But then again if he would have done that i´d been forced to call in more then a little insane seeing as i have ZERO documented XP in managing a game. I still think i am the best choice but honestly.. who does not think that about them self on some level =)

anyway... this game will be a interesting one to follow... and Brad.. Should you happen to read this... PM me... I´l get you back on track.

This have been a good conversation

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

whatever floats your boat man...

I still don't believe a word Brad says and it's hard for me to believe that this game will work out when he's involved.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

The game might get made, but in the end, it most likely will trip on it's own coming out of the door, right on it's face.  If someone else was making this game...it might be okay.  Brad's name attached to anything at this point is a killer.  No dice and it's a shame.  The concepts are solid.  The brain behind it is not.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I dont think this game will ever take off, so in saying, I would never pay money into this ks.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

DOUBLE QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Personally...

I'd love to see this game made. Or a game like this.

What was going on in Brad's head, or what the circumstances were around Brad taking that 45k advance is something only he knows. So, there's no point in even attempting to discuss it. Given the fallout of the decision, it was a really bad move, regardless of the who's, what's or why's. You don't even have to know about the project to recognize that.

He's now reaching out to the community for help in developing it... which... yeah... I'm just shaking my head at that.

This project has effectively died in the womb at this point (if you'll excuse the expression). Between all the drama around it, and all the attention on Brad - warranted or otherwise - there's just too much blood in the water, and it's tainted. I just don't see this going anywhere at this point.

I think Brad needs to disappear for a while. Go back to the drawing board. Come up with a solid design, some solid concepts.. Then build a team around himself in which he is the game's Design Director - the person making sure the game comes together as it needs to. He should not be CEO. He should not be making any management decisions.  He should not have access to money. He should have absolutely nothing else to focus his attention on other than "what will make a fun and engaging MMO". And tha'ts it.

That's my 2 cents on it anyway.

• BeckAltarrBeckAltarr Member Posts: 18

This project seems more and more designed to farm money from people with no proof of anything. It's been almost 2 months since talk of a "Demo Video" to show investors. Yet Brad made claims on K-TAM Radio that this demo was impressive, which to our listeners meant playable. 

What was brad doing for all those months of Kick Starter and after? Wasn't he showing off this impressive demo? No because it didn't and still does not exist. What we seen was a lot of unity assets with Vu's terrain and buildings. There was really nothing there. Smoke and mirrors. 

Brad shows up for a half a day then is gone for a week at a time and there is nothing to show for it. He is promoting people who have no real experience which does nothing to build actual confidence in the project, he is moving deck chairs on the Titanic. Only if this was an Epic Game.

Let's look at the money. He had contracts with his Dev team. He didn't pay them what they were owed, only paid one of them for their costs above any pay and instead paid himself for 3-5 months of posting once a week to the tune of $45k as has been reported by one of his "dev team" Frenzic who I have challenged to provide proof of via audio recording as Brad has yet to come out and support those statements. . If True, and Salim also confirmed this... kinda...Sounds like a case for fraud/embezzlement to me. It's a shame most of the Dev team Are too afraid of being black listed for calling out Brad and forcing some legal leverage. I know a couple would be willing, but it's a team effort to be successful. 

Then you have Salim who "claims" to have all this evidence and proof of the truth, but wont share it with anyone openly. Only if you ask him privately... B.S. He admitted he knew something was off long before K-TAM broke the story and he knows he could face even more of the community wrath. He asked me to take down all the Audio of him and his quotes. 

Brad is running a scam in my opinion and people are standing by and letting him get away with it. It makes me sick to know people are still paying for "website upkeep". I just paid for a site for 36 months for under $200 and I could run 5 Pantheon web sites on it.

No one seems to REALLY want to do anything about this. People are watching the drama with glee, others are mum and there is a minority few who wish we could do more. I see posts after posts of people complaining about game companies and how they screw people and here we have another chance to stand up as a gaming community and make a stand. I think there has been enough commentary. 

How do you think the community should support each other from being further ripped off by scam artists in the gaming industry?

K-TAM Radio