Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does PC gaming know the date it dies?

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by grndzro
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Let me know when Intel goes under, then I'd be scared.

We would still have AMD. Intel is gonna crap bricks when AMD's next APU comes out. Rumors are Excavator will have much higher performance than Kaveri.

Rumors of "AMDs next thing will toast Intel/Nvidia" have been around with about every new AMD product.

I can't think of any case in which it was ever true :)

• AnonymouseRageAnonymouseRage Member CommonPosts: 8
    Console fan boy's need to realize, there games are made using computers, they will always be 2nd best.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    I am selling my gaming PC . Switching to consoles and tablets . Honestly, i feel liike PC gaming holds no weight anymore.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Volgore

Rumors of "AMDs next thing will toast Intel/Nvidia" have been around with about every new AMD product.

I can't think of any case in which it was ever true :)

It has been true at times, the Athlon CPU was a huge kick in Intels privates and ATIs Rage 2 card was a huge step forwards (there are plenty of other examples as well) but there have been about as many things that have turned the tables the other way around as well.

The fact is that we need both companies to compete against eachother or the PC evolution would go a lot slower. That would hurt consoles as well since they use graphic chips from these companies as well. It is fine to prefer one or the other (I currently have a AMD CPU and a NVidia GFX card myself) but it would still be bad for all of us if either actually went down.

In fact was it a huge tragedy that 3DFX got killed off, if they would still be around as well I think that the GFX cards would be better then they are today. We also lost Matrox and 3DFX and Matrox were a lot harder then this ever will be, and still PC gaming is very popular even if 2 large GFX manufacturers went down in the 90s.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I've seen worst posts but this is up there.

That's like saying MMO's are dead when Funcom goes out of business.....

• PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148
    One less shit tier developer out there. Now folks have one less crummy product out there to choose from. I wish more of these bad hardware developers would peace out. I am sick of playing with people who game on toasters, it's time they get a real PC that can keep up.
  • RaxizRaxiz Member Posts: 6
    PC gaming will never die. It will always be ahead of console gaming. It will continue to evolve at a faster rate at which console gaming does. It will keep updating its technology day after day, growing more powerful and pushing the limits of gaming. Developers will creating more amazing games utilizing the new developments in PC gaming, pushing the limits as they go. Take Star Citizen for example. A new upcoming Space sim, it is a PC exclusive, it is pushing the boundary's of gaming and making a game like no other sim has gone before, whether that's bigger or better. Developers will continue to grow and consumers will keep tagging along with them. Star Citizen has raised $43 Million now. I'm 100% PC gaming will not die down any time soon :)
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Who would buy a Galaxy over an EVGA anyway?  Smart move to exit the business.

Never bought EVGA and never will.  For a good decade they only produced reference cards with absolutely horrible cooling efficiency.  Only after MSI and Gigabyte started to eat away at their profits did they finally add adequate cooling solutions to their overpriced brand name.

I buy Gigabyte every time and their triple fan cooling solutions keep my GPU and VRAM nice and frosty.

This news doesn't really effect me much anyhow, Galaxy was always a very lowly rated product on almost all sites due to poor manufacturing issues which produced inferior cards that customers were always needing to repair or replace.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    Wow. In all the cards I've ever bought when building for myself or someone else, this is the first I've ever heard of them. I guess I haven't been and won't be missing much.

This.

Building systems for myself and others for >20 years and NEVER heard of these people.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    consoles are inferior in every way measurable why people wish for the demise of innovation (PC) is something I will never understand

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by grndzro
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Let me know when Intel goes under, then I'd be scared.

We would still have AMD. Intel is gonna crap bricks when AMD's next APU comes out. Rumors are Excavator will have much higher performance than Kaveri.

I'm in the future right now, and the rumors from 3/17/2014 were a little extravagant in their predictions. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

A video card maker going out of business has nothing to do with this.

Microsoft on the other hand, that's a different story. They have once again shown their hand at killing the PC market with their announcement of the Surface Pro 3 calling it the end of Laptops stating that people don't want laptops anymore they want Tablets with more PC abilities.

Their push to end the PC by slowly turning it into mobile only is well underway. Windows 8 with its touchscreen based UI bringing mobile mini-apps to the PC was the first step, Windows 9 will be close to the final step as they move OSs to the cloud, pushing PC users to needing a touchscreen and making mobile apps replace full PC programs.

They are slowly making it so PCs lose their power, usability while expanding mobile devices as far as they can go so people have fewer reasons to buy PCs and instead buy mobile devices.

PCs will be niche in another 5-8 years and everyone will be using shatty mobile devices that cant do half what PCs can do today. 

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

After reading this posts, here is what comes to mind...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by Tbau

Microsoft on the other hand, that's a different story. They have once again shown their hand at killing the PC market with their announcement of the Surface Pro 3 calling it the end of Laptops stating that people don't want laptops anymore they want Tablets with more PC abilities.

Their push to end the PC by slowly turning it into mobile only is well underway. Windows 8 with its touchscreen based UI bringing mobile mini-apps to the PC was the first step, Windows 9 will be close to the final step as they move OSs to the cloud, pushing PC users to needing a touchscreen and making mobile apps replace full PC programs.

They are slowly making it so PCs lose their power, usability while expanding mobile devices as far as they can go so people have fewer reasons to buy PCs and instead buy mobile devices.

PCs will be niche in another 5-8 years and everyone will be using shatty mobile devices that cant do half what PCs can do today. 

The thing about the general public is that if they are told enough times that they want a small cell phone to to play video games on then they start to actually want that.

Sad thing is, most people have no idea where PCs could have taken us. They very easily could have been the center of the house hold.

and as far as Microsoft goes, they have zero idea what they are doing in the gaming space....zero

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Wow thank you so much for your amazing predictions ... and sorry didn't quite catch that name ... Nostradamus did you say ? ...

Sigh .. yet another genius making BS predictions ..

Shame you forgot to tell people that PC use is actually growing , especially PC gaming.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

The thing about the general public is that if they are told enough times that they want a small cell phone to to play video games on then they start to actually want that.

Sad thing is, most people have no idea where PCs could have taken us. They very easily could have been the center of the house hold.

and as far as Microsoft goes, they have zero idea what they are doing in the gaming space....zero

For the most part I agree with you however I have noticed something interesting.

Windows phones don't sell well.

Windows tablets don't sell well. The surface 1 & 2 have been mostly rejected with extremely low sales.

MS is not very successful at forcing their ways anymore and people are choosing the superior products instead of just going with the flow like sheep as usual.

The bad thing is how long its taking for them to realize this and how much damage they are doing to the PC market in the mean time, and it doesn't look like they are going to come to their senses fast enough as Windows 9 is well underway.

To have 2 iterations of Windows in a row pushing this "vision" of theirs is going to have a huge impact even with consumers rejecting their idiocy in the mobile markets. Worse yet, there are a lot of gaming and software companies that agree with their "vision" and are going in that direction despite the fact that sales of Windows devices are insanely low. Games are going to take a huge hit in the depth department to be made mobile compatible and we are all going to suffer for it. Imagine, MMORPGs are already taking a hit to be console compatible, now imagine them also being designed around small touchscreens......shoot me now.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    http://m.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/06/galaxy_abandons_north_american_gpu_market/#.Uxe_hnMo5P8 This is a huge blow!

troll post, but I will bite maybe someone will belive on this.

firt of all Galaxy, never heard of, and its a builder for NVIDIA, NVIDIA have seveal builder who make his GPU, plus fro the looks of it, it was a NA only company with had to battle with otehr GPU builders company who possible had better name and feature on his product.

TLDR? we lose nothing

plus take note even your console games need a COMPUTER WITH A GPU so tehy can run and test your games before they even test it on consoles, so before your game be playeable in a console is had to be playable in a computer.

your little battle is lost even before it started.

now go out and play whatever you want.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Originally posted by summitus

Wow thank you so much for your amazing predictions ... and sorry didn't quite catch that name ... Nostradamus did you say ? ...

Shame you forgot to tell people that PC use is actually growing , especially PC gaming.

Wow so many attacks only to follow up with a single refute that was wrong and not even relevant to the topic.

PC sales are down 5 years in a row which translates to less business for MS, you know, the company being spoken about. As for PC gaming, this has nothing to do with Microsoft 10 year plan......and apparently you skipped the part where I pointed to the WORDS OF MICROSOFT THEMSELVES at the unveiling of the Surface Pro 3 about how it is the END of the Laptop market.

So yeah, call me Nostradamus, I will call you Mitch Fatel.....yeah, go look him up.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

For the most part I agree with you however I have noticed something interesting.

Windows phones don't sell well.

Windows tablets don't sell well. The surface 1 & 2 have been mostly rejected with extremely low sales.

MS is not very successful at forcing their ways anymore and people are choosing the superior products instead of just going with the flow like sheep as usual.

The bad thing is how long its taking for them to realize this and how much damage they are doing to the PC market in the mean time, and it doesn't look like they are going to come to their senses fast enough as Windows 9 is well underway.

To have 2 iterations of Windows in a row pushing this "vision" of theirs is going to have a huge impact even with consumers rejecting their idiocy in the mobile markets. Worse yet, there are a lot of gaming and software companies that agree with their "vision" and are going in that direction despite the fact that sales of Windows devices are insanely low. Games are going to take a huge hit in the depth department to be made mobile compatible and we are all going to suffer for it. Imagine, MMORPGs are already taking a hit to be console compatible, now imagine them also being designed around small touchscreens......shoot me now.

I wouldn't care much for it, company who are really developing things for this MS visions will burn, MS can burn because they have the money to pay the bill, otehr smaller companys don't. market tend to be rutless with bad ideas and concepts, if things don't fly, they won't sell, and will be dead before you notice.

also take note even though windows have the marjority of the market (thanks to piracy mind you), we still ahve others SO around, having someone taking the gap ms is creating will not be hard, plus we can always emulate things, like the wine in Linux, or any other emulator for consoles.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Wow so many attacks only to follow up with a single refute that was wrong and not even relevant to the topic.

PC sales are down 5 years in a row which translates to less business for MS, you know, the company being spoken about. As for PC gaming, this has nothing to do with Microsoft 10 year plan......and apparently you skipped the part where I pointed to the WORDS OF MICROSOFT THEMSELVES at the unveiling of the Surface Pro 3 about how it is the END of the Laptop market.

So yeah, call me Nostradamus, I will call you Mitch Fatel.....yeah, go look him up.

Sorry ... I don't as rule get into arguments with Dead people .. ;)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    Wow. In all the cards I've ever bought when building for myself or someone else, this is the first I've ever heard of them. I guess I haven't been and won't be missing much.

I actually did a google search into those cards, never heard of them aswell.

I think what some people might underestimate is the life cycle of a well build PC system. Beginning 2013 I was certain I would have needed to upgrade or rebuild from scratch my 4 core AMD CPU, 560 GTX Ti, 4gb ram, X-Fi Elite soundcard.

Yet today I am still not sure. I think and hope Watchdogs will put it to the test, but then again thought Crysis 3 or Assasin Creed 4 would have done this, yet still playing on mostly high settings, sure not comparable to high or ultra settings a system build today would deliver. But good enough for me to enjoy games smooth. When a game forces me to lower my setting to a maximum of medium ingame setting I feel it's time for a upgrade.

So no PC gaming isn't going anywhere. But it is a fact that more and more games will come out on console's and have to admit they are getting better and better. Still like a PC more due to all it can do.

To be completely fair from what I have seen the 'laptop crowd' isnt exactly the smartest in the bunch.

I define 'laptop crowd' those that buy a laptop and use it nearly exclusively as a desktop AND hunch over without a mouse or keyboard or extended screen

pc sales are down? did you ever wonder why? not huge change in system in the last 6 or 7 years, plus teh pc sales are more compared to huge sellers who sell stock computers, not the custom build who nowadays anyone can do, and who do gamming on computers and know anything about it, or have a friend with it will tell you get a custom build, or build thenself.

I build my computer buying parts for quality and price, I had to go around and it took almost 2 months to get everything I needed, and that was 2 years ago, and I still don't feel the damn need to change it, becasue I still can run anything on max without problem even the most new games.

and the end of laptop or desktop (I hear this for the last 10 years mind you lol) both are still around and unless then make a new archteture for the whole computer all over again, to push for better speed, quality, and price, they wills till be around.

Originally posted by alkarionlog
    ...not huge change in system..

my palm went directly to my face.

How many years did consoles last without any hardware upgrade.?

and when they did one this year it was by all measures substandard by PC comparisions

• AlturisAlturis Member Posts: 28

I definitely don't think this should worry any PC players. If you preferred Galaxy which is a small subset it's a blow but aside from that most people were not purchasing that brand. 

I didn't and won't include statistics here (I'm not invested enough) but from the brief research I've done it just looks as if the market is consolodating to a few companies and their sales are increasing rather than the market itself dwindling.