Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6 Years ago an injustice was launched

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Haha yes they can watch whatever, but yes you get what I mean ;).

You know I'm actually visualizing the OP weeping while holding his AoC box while the Schindler's list theme is playing in the background.

I'm a visual type myself, thanks for the laugh, it's good to start the morning with some fun :)

I admit at first I also thought it's a necro thread, had to check the date twice...

"I will continue to fight the good fight and expose Funcom for what it truly is:  A malignant tumor in the industry, more concerned with its bottom line than the quality of their effort.  They wasted and disused our trust and they boldly challenged us to do something about it. "

There's a fight? Good to know... And you fight it as a soldier, or as a doctor? I can't help to see some M.A.S.H. wibe in here.

"I hope the current state of Age of Conan is a lesson learned for any others wishing to sell us their snake oil."

As someone already posted, when was the last time you were on an exam for tumor markers? (as in: played with this tumor of the industry). The game is in pretty good shape - true, the crafting revamp is coming with the "speed" of a sloth, but still, the game is great.

(and also TSW is awesome, AO was ok for me, their singleplayer games are cool as well, etc. Ok, I'm not thrilled with the Minifigures 'cos I never was a Lego fan, but I must say, for a tumor, they have a quite decent list of games)

"I will never forget.  I will never forgive."

Good for you. Memory enhancment pills are really working and not just some hoax then, I assume. :)

edit: maybe I should take some of those pills as well, I thought it's a necro post for a reason, I knew I've read it before... turned out OP posted the very same post a year ago :)

• FlexorFlexor Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by octa

... more concerned with its bottom line than the quality of their effort....

If they are only concerned with their bottom line, then they are doing a terrible job.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=FUNCOM:NO

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79
    After Tortage  argument is rubbish, play it a few times and all you want to do is see the back of it and get to the point. One of the better MMOs i have played and i have tried a heap.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

LOL, I love how this post is out of left field. The poor guy has been boiling for 6 years, guys... let the man vent before he does something IRL!

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I have a vauge memory of a similar post one year ago. Does OP really write a post like this every AOC birthday?
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    If your going to waste your time hating on something for so long ... ( everyone else probably stopped giving a shit years ago ) .. well at least hate on something that deserves it .. like  " Sony and the SWG " shit they pulled  .. ;)
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Lissyl I totally understand how betrayed some of you must have felt.  I'm glad that it wasn't all pvp by the time I played, but WOW what a switch after Tortage.  It was like nothing I had ever seen, and not in a good way.  I still played into Khitai, but I never had so much fun again, and once I hit 81 and just kept dying over and over and over and over in Khitai, I left.  It was an empty shell.  But I do still like to rejoin every now and then, make a new character, and redo Tortage -- its that good.  The only good starting zone I've really ever seen.
    It really was a shocking realization for me to get into Early Access and see how broken the game was.  There were still those fan boys claiming some magic patch would come in at launch and fix everything.  God, that launch day was horrible.

Tortage was a revelation though.  I could have my polished first person RPG experience in an MMO world!  It was a dream come true. A marriage of two gaming genre's set against a wonderful Conan universe.  The post Tortage reality was heart breaking. 

The Funcom response was horrible through out it all.  They learned nothing from their Anarchy Online launch.  It was such a slap in the face.

Companies should not get away with this.  Speak with your wallet.  Keep embers of truth burning.

Never forgive. Never forget.

dude, ur hilarious. NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET. i bet u had t shirts made saying that. i played beta then launch. yeah it sucked to c what the game became but not to the point of launching a hate campaign from my moms basement. i moved on.

NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET. thats just too funny

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I was there at the beginning, but I loved it, troubles and all.  The combat was amazingly fresh and new.  People had their doubts about it, but it worked.  The sieges were fun, and I fell in with a great guild.  I played for at least six months or so.  I was just wondering what the state of the game was the other night.  Any time an MMORPG can stick around for so long, good for them, their player-base, and the genre.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

New crafting system revealed

Is it in game "yet™"??

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Lissyl

I totally understand how betrayed some of you must have felt.  I'm glad that it wasn't all pvp by the time I played, but WOW what a switch after Tortage.  It was like nothing I had ever seen, and not in a good way.  I still played into Khitai, but I never had so much fun again, and once I hit 81 and just kept dying over and over and over and over in Khitai, I left.  It was an empty shell.  But I do still like to rejoin every now and then, make a new character, and redo Tortage -- its that good.  The only good starting zone I've really ever seen.

It really was a shocking realization for me to get into Early Access and see how broken the game was.  There were still those fan boys claiming some magic patch would come in at launch and fix everything.  God, that launch day was horrible.

Tortage was a revelation though.  I could have my polished first person RPG experience in an MMO world!  It was a dream come true. A marriage of two gaming genre's set against a wonderful Conan universe.  The post Tortage reality was heart breaking. 

The Funcom response was horrible through out it all.  They learned nothing from their Anarchy Online launch.  It was such a slap in the face.

Companies should not get away with this.  Speak with your wallet.  Keep embers of truth burning.

Never forgive. Never forget.

It was shocking to you? Really? So this must have been your first and last MMO? It's a broad assumption, but I can pretty much take your whole post, substitute any game and any publisher and it would apply. ESO, GW2, SWTOR, SWG. 

As far as AoC goes, it's 6 years old?!?!?!? That's like 120 in MMO years. Also, based on the fact that Funcom reported that their MMO catalogue is still making money, I'm assuming it'll still be around for a while. So why not accept the game as it is? Geez, you sound worse than a SWG fan. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by PAL-18

Is it in game "yet™"??

Nope, not yet. But Soon™ :)

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Funcom might be generate some hate, but theres one thing i admire them:

They make diferente games, i dont see much companys doing that.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Age of Conan was released to the detriment of the MMO and gaming industry.

On that launch day, 6 years ago, we learned several truths:

• Erling Ellingsen is a liar.
    • MMOs are released unapologetically unfinished.
    • Draconian forum moderation is a viable public relations tactic.
    • Ethical business practices are completely ignored at Funcom.
    • History tends to repeat itself when bad management is involved.
    • Beta tests have shifted to being a marketing tool rather than a sincere effort to polish.

The game also had a lot of promise with its combat system and excellent voice acting.  Tortage was a technological and ground breaking marvel.  That does not excuse a terrible launch and a fleecing of its customers. I was there, I was affected.

I will continue to fight the good fight and expose Funcom for what it truly is:  A malignant tumor in the industry, more concerned with its bottom line than the quality of their effort.  They wasted and disused our trust and they boldly challenged us to do something about it. 

I hope the current state of Age of Conan is a lesson learned for any others wishing to sell us their snake oil.

I will never forget.  I will never forgive.

Haah, yeah, alright...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Is it in game "yet™"??

Nope, not yet. But Soon™ :)

Ouch™

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    OP you should get a life. Honestly, hating something with such a passion for so many years does not seem healthy.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by jdnewell

6 years later and you are still on the funcom hate train?

Time to hop off, I am sure something else in 6 years time is more worthy of your hate and time.

Some people just can not live without hate something. They just do not feel good if they do not whine about something. :-)

• HalishHalish Member UncommonPosts: 3

The problems with Age of Conan are no secret and truth be told the game was dead in the water from day one.

That said I actually look back on it with a lot of affection. Tortage was the best new-user experience I've ever had in an MMO. The immersion the voices, graphics and music made were simply amazing and the use of day and night to progress the story was a stroke of genius that I would have loved to continue until end-game.

I only wish the entire game had been Tortage. I did manage to get a character to level-cap but it was with grit and determination more than enjoyment.

Funcom didn't do AoC justice but I don't hold any grudges and if they announced a AoC2 tomorrow I'd be hyped.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    True, true.

We all want innovation(I think that I can safely say "we" here), but when one comes our way, we'll Bisect until we achieve Black tangent. Heh funny. We act like a green bisector(read: we constantly analyse it until nothing's left. Therefore, we are basically shooting ourselves in the foot-roughly translated :P )

Funcom's games are original enough. Always were. Always will be.

Man, those Gree-diots are so over the top, they would drive crazy even a Babel-fish. Sometimes I'd like to cut off their 3 colour-soaking thingys... :)

In regards of AoC, I can only say, for me, a black bisector in Hyboria, FC evolved the initial blue nonagons into a nice purple parallel.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Tortage ...Captain Aroyo. Yes  best experience ever and then we leave it. Yes that was the big mistake making Tortage such a contrast it killed the rest of the game for me.
    Chamber of Chains
  • NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20
    6 years is a loooong time to hold a grudge, but still better to have you occupied with that then something meningful I suppose...
  • LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

I have always been a fan of AoC. I tried it out on a whim years ago, just after the expansion came out, and fell in love with it. I was never a Conan fan, but AoC turned me into one. It led me into Howard's Conan stories and Frazetta's art work. I have always appreciated the love and devotion the devs had for the  Conan universe and how well they translated it all into an MMO.

It is just a theme park MMO, but still there is nothing else like it in the entire genre. The whole package, art, combat, setting, music, graphics, motion quality, all delivers a unique MMO experience. Where else can you be a badass barbarian mounted on a powerful steed with the wind in your hair roaming the world lopping off heads and severing limbs? But it is not all brutality, there is plenty of beauty to behold in the game as well.

It's not perfect. It is a massive game with its share of short comings and bugs, but over all it is a solid gratifying game to play, if you appreciate what it has to offer.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    If I ever felt this way about a video game pretty sure my wife would check me into a mental hospital.  I get the picture the OP was foaming at the mouth screaming and yelling while he was typing this and had to stop a few times during his convulsions.   What an embarrassing piece here OP my advice to you... Go outside!
  • DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Robsolf

this... kinda seems irrelevant.  There's not much that AoC did that other games have adopted, and it barely exists, itself, as I suspect it's living on lack of development in order to continue... I won't go into the black hole that is guessing how many people still play.  That's apparent.

That said, the Tortage experience was unique at the time, so thanks, Funcom, for fooling me for a bit, into thinking you put that much effort into the rest of the game.

God how much ignoranse

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/festival_of_bloodshed

Biggest PvP update ever, right at your feet. Get in there ASAP. Soaring with peaople now!!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    I played AOC from day one. Built a 100 strong guild and continued to have fun for several months before the novelty wore off. All in all it was a good game. Nothing spectacular but as good as most other games that have come out since.
  • shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Really enjoyed the game. Great atmospheric music and loved some of the voice overs. Might be tempted to have another crack at it. Tortage was excellent.