Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar really worth a sub?

Comments

• ganntakganntak Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Yes. If WoW is this sure is. Subs keep the content rolling in and the quality high and after playing the Beta despite the normal Beta bugs/optimization probs its ones of the best games and most polished ive seen to date. You get the option to grind n get the game time free ingame would WoW do that? No i think we all know they wouldnt. Games a good'un imo and the main thing its fun and engaging bringing a smile to my face which is why i play games. So many negative nancys doom n gloom merchants on these forums lighten up guys its a game. Dont wanna sub dont play move on. Next.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly. Since these people ar not prepared to pay the average 15 a month through either sub or cash shop what they are reall saying is that they don't like the game - in which case what the hell are they whining about. Addicted to moaning more like.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

OP clearly doesn't understand the difference between publisher and developer.

But anywho, after my first month of playing WS, I'll let you know if it's worth a sub or not.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I dont think Wildstar is worth a sub, but let time prove me wrong.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Well if it is worth a sub or not depends on your taste and how much time you are willing to put in playing the game. It really is that simple.

If i ask you is it worth going to the theater to see that new triple star movie coming out that everyone says it will be the next big movie of the year. If you say YES then it is ok. If you say NO it is also ok.

Why? because it is your cash, and you know you are going to spend 20 to 30$ min to see a 2 and a half hour movie. And that your cash is gone after watching it.

For 15$ a /month or 50cents a days i get to play the game i like with everyone else that likes it for the full 30 days.

Is it worth putting money in a game that can not be played off line and that because of my money i will get new content and lot's of fun for the full 30days, yes sir that is 1 full month. For me it is. For me it is better then to pay 50 or 60$ bucks to buy a console game or a single player game that i will stop playing in a few weeks or days and not touch it again for another months or so probably even more. It is also worth more then to go to the theater to watch a movie. I spend not even half that price to watch it at home on dvd that i rent at the store and still i could even buy myself some beer with it and chips or popcorn and still be spending less or about equal the same amount then to go to the theater.

But is it worth the same thing to you? That is the question!!!

None can answer you except yourself.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by ganntak
    Subs keep the content rolling in and the quality high 

No, that money goes straight to publsiher as profit.

I prefer to call it sucker tax.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Would not play this game if it were F2P. Terrible game.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    WoW killer for sure. 

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29

Quite a few people seem to be... "confused"... about the topic of "is it worth the sub..or not?"

Two decades ago, the subject would be mute, if you wanted to play a MMO in the 90's there was very little choice, ie: OPTIONS, for MMO enthusiasts as every big MMO at that time had a sub marketing plan. Why? Well they could get away with it most importantly. There was little competition at the time and since MMO's were the latest and greatest thing in computer gaming people were more then willing to shell out $60 for the game and another $15/mo, equal to $240 for the first year (assuming a month to month payment plan) and $180 every year after. Add that up over several years and it can be quite a sum, especially if your playing more then 1 at a time.

There will always be a certain percentage of players who feel that "if you keep me entertained, sure, Ill give you my cc number, go ahead and charge away". However.. heres the thing:

Times have, and still are, changing.

Not only is there a HUGE amount of MMO competition since the first MMO's hit the market, their marketing strategies have evolved as well. Players have a wide range of game choices that include free-to-play, buy-to-play, subscribe, limited subscriptions, and many others.

Some people may say.. "well.. in order for a really great game to be able to continue being great, ie: have the money they need for continued development, they MUST have a sub to keep the money flowing in."

WRONG.

Games such as GW, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, STO  and many others have PROVED that they can keep up the content flow without a sub requirement and sill remain profitable.

With all that in mind, there are many people that can, and will, opt to stick with a less expensive, but no less popular game, and bank their extra money.

Who cares right? Let em do what they want?

Heres the problem with that thinking. For a MMO to stay afloat, they need a player base. A large one. No one, even a happy paying subscriber, will want to stay with a MMO  long if your the only one playing it. The smaller a player base, the less people will be inclined to want to continue playing a game.

This is why the question: "Is this game really worth a sub?" has more of an impact today then it did a decade, or even two decades ago. Marketing plans can, and will, have a large impact on a games success.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    A decade ago I was still paying £10 a month, in those 10 years inflation means that we are now paying around about £2 a month in equiv terms, and costs of dev have went up.

Gw2 I paid month at cash shop, wow I paid a sub- I paid until I stopped enjoying it. This thread is about people looking for free lunches not about paying in a cash shop instead of a sub.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Radakill

Quite a few people seem to be... "confused"... about the topic of "is it worth the sub..or not?"

Two decades ago, the subject would be mute, if you wanted to play a MMO in the 90's there was very little choice, ie: OPTIONS, for MMO enthusiasts as every big MMO at that time had a sub marketing plan. Why? Well they could get away with it most importantly. There was little competition at the time and since MMO's were the latest and greatest thing in computer gaming people were more then willing to shell out $60 for the game and another $15/mo, equal to $240 for the first year (assuming a month to month payment plan) and $180 every year after. Add that up over several years and it can be quite a sum, especially if your playing more then 1 at a time.

There will always be a certain percentage of players who feel that "if you keep me entertained, sure, Ill give you my cc number, go ahead and charge away". However.. heres the thing:

Not only is there a HUGE amount of MMO competition since the first MMO's hit the market, their marketing strategies have evolved as well. Players have a wide range of game choices that include free-to-play, buy-to-play, subscribe, limited subscriptions, and many others.

Some people may say.. "well.. in order for a really great game to be able to continue being great, ie: have the money they need for continued development, they MUST have a sub to keep the money flowing in."

WRONG.

Games such as GW, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, STO  and many others have PROVED that they can keep up the content flow without a sub requirement and sill remain profitable.

With all that in mind, there are many people that can, and will, opt to stick with a less expensive, but no less popular game, and bank their extra money.

Heres the problem with that thinking. For a MMO to stay afloat, they need a player base. A large one. No one, even a happy paying subscriber, will want to stay with a MMO  long if your the only one playing it. The smaller a player base, the less people will be inclined to want to continue playing a game.

This is why the question: "Is this game really worth a sub?" has more of an impact today then it did a decade, or even two decades ago. Marketing plans can, and will, have a large impact on a games success.

What GW2 proved is that you can put half assed content and people will still play it. GW2 launched a great game, it certainly deserves the score it has, but how much new, fun and meaningful content was actually made?

Fractals/Dungeons: They are good except for the fact that PvE is broken, if you are not full glass dps you are doing it wrong, when CoF speedrun was a thing people kicked other people that didn't have ful dps gear, stack, burst, do a little dance for the objectives, rinse and repeat. So much for "play how you want".

Living Story: Shitty storytelling, zerg world objectives until you feel sick and some small mini-games. Uninspiring. The bazaar of the four winds was the only one I actually enjoyed, the rest is forgettable.

SPvP: Don't know much about it, never interested me, as far as I know, nothing really changed.

Season/Edge of the mists/WvW: An insult to the WvW community, "let's make a tournament to boost the e-peen of the server which has the more numbers/coverage", "lets make a big beautiful map but make it completely useless except for karma farm", "lets not fix the current meta that favors the side with more numbers and doesn't screws over small groups".

Tequatl/Triple Trouble: Interesting, but how long did it take for them to put this? How many other raids other mmos actually have in comparison?

What else? GW2 is very light on updates, it doesn't change at the pace other mmos change, why? I read somewhere someone say that the problem with GW2 is that it's far too easy to pick it up, but also far too easy to put it down. GW2 isn't a good example of a B2P model working because it's way too stale for far too long.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    No

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by Manasong
    Originally posted by Radakill

WRONG.

What GW2 proved is that you can put half assed content and people will still play it. GW2 launched a great game, it certainly deserves the score it has, but how much new, fun and meaningful content was actually made?

Fractals/Dungeons: They are good except for the fact that PvE is broken, if you are not full glass dps you are doing it wrong, when CoF speedrun was a thing people kicked other people that didn't have ful dps gear, stack, burst, do a little dance for the objectives, rinse and repeat. So much for "play how you want".

Living Story: Shitty storytelling, zerg world objectives until you feel sick and some small mini-games. Uninspiring. The bazaar of the four winds was the only one I actually enjoyed, the rest is forgettable.

SPvP: Don't know much about it, never interested me, as far as I know, nothing really changed.

Season/Edge of the mists/WvW: An insult to the WvW community, "let's make a tournament to boost the e-peen of the server which has the more numbers/coverage", "lets make a big beautiful map but make it completely useless except for karma farm", "lets not fix the current meta that favors the side with more numbers and doesn't screws over small groups".

Tequatl/Triple Trouble: Interesting, but how long did it take for them to put this? How many other raids other mmos actually have in comparison?

What else? GW2 is very light on updates, it doesn't change at the pace other mmos change, why? I read somewhere someone say that the problem with GW2 is that it's far too easy to pick it up, but also far too easy to put it down. GW2 isn't a good example of a B2P model working because it's way too stale for far too long.

GW2 had NEW contrent updates every 2 weeks. 

WS doesnt even promise THAT for a sub rofl. In fact it promises half assed content every month (and still has to deliver on that as EVERY sub MMO in last 5 years has promised that but, ironically, only GW2 delivered)

I find raids as totally meaningless lobby style half arsed content and people will still play it.

ANd to break it down for you in GW2:

Fractals/Dungeons: most of it you can do NAKED, its SKILL based (oppsed to WS where you have to grind that crap out) Its indeed "play how you want") Speed running. rofl. what does that has to do with anything

Living story: it had some actual story telling every 2 weeks opposed to every sub game where you get it MAYBE once in 6 months (GREAT value for sucker tax rofl)

sPvP: best MMO small group PvP available

WvWVW: yes numbers matter. AS THEY SHOULD. If you need your e-peen viewed in PPT thats your problem. If youre looking for good fights theres certainly plenty of opportunity for that. And there is plenty of opportunity for small groups. You are quite lacking on this

Tequalt/Wurm: they didnt WANT to put content that needed whole map to coordinate, but they listened to community and there you go, now you have it. FIRST you have to know how things unravel before spewving nonsense

[mod edit]

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

If they keep adding content every 28-days like they've promised, Wildstar is definately worth the sub.

This said if  you are any good in computer games and have some time on your hands you can play it for free.

@Malabooga

GW2 content updates have been mostly crap. The april feature pack was good (Which took them years) but the two week updates are pretty much bit of story thrown into your face with new dailies.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

If they keep adding content every 28-days like they've promised, Wildstar is definately worth the sub.

This said if  you are any good in computer games and have some time on your hands you can play it for free.

@Malabooga

GW2 content updates have been mostly crap. The april feature pack was good (Which took them years) but the two week updates are pretty much bit of story thrown into your face with new dailies.

Agree

Quality / Pace of content addition is my main reason to continue subbing on a game. Most aspects in a game like combat, graphics, content orientation etc are up to personal tastes, but content updates are not.

So because i like combat, graphics, content orientation etc in WS i ll buy the game and play it for a month or 2. But if the content additions are not of the quality / pace i m expecting from a sub based game, then i ll be out.

I wont sit again like i did in WoW for years, waiting a big patch every 6 months, or even playing a patch for a year when an expansion was to be released.

So as it concerns WildStar (and any other game ofc), time will tell if the sub fee will be deserved :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

@Malabooga

Really? There were some BRILLIANT ones (Super adventure box) and much much more. It delieverd more content than ANY sub game so far. Yes, not every update was to everyones taste, but you just had to wait 2 weeks for more.

And you sound like every 6 month content update in sub based game is pinnacle of quality. I havent really noticed much difference, sorry, you get a dungeon, maybe new raid, some dailies, mabye new BG and thats IT. Most of new content in SUB games comes from EXPANSIONS that, naturally, COST EXTRA 40-60$.

As i said every wannabe sub game since WoW promised monthly content updates. In every game devs boasted how the game will definitely be "sub worthy" since they have YEARS of content already planned and made, yadda yadda yadda and all that.

Theres really nothing different in Carbines dev talk from all previous games.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Relative speaking(comparing to other products) the only MMO worth the sub is WoW and maybe, maybe EVE Online.

However, it is not a question of being "worthy", it is a matter what amount you are willing to spent. And new shiny is what people like to spent their money on.

Then, large budget MMOs rely on new shiny effect and use box and sub fees to recoup enormous investment costs.

Sooner or later, it will turn into F2P, there is no other way, new shiny effect does not last long.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I am subbed to SWTOR (2 accounts husband and I) so far I have not bought any expansion. I got it for free the Rise of the Hutt Cartell. They gave it to subscribers a few months later I think. They add stuff on and off . Happy with the content. My son is subbed to WoW and FFXIV ARR. They seem to be adding very good stuff too and he loves the challenging dungeons playing a healer.

I am subbing to Wildstar no idea if it is worth it but for now no problem subbing when I start playing. I am happy they have roles. I enjoyed GW 2 a lot however I was not very happy with the events and the total chaos it involved with no clear roles every person for themselves but still it is a good game and it's b2p and I still play it on and off ,solo though . The champ trains in Queensdale is a good way to level an alt  brain dead .

What I am hoping to see in Wlidstar if I am able to handle the dungeon is the challenge of being a good healer and recognition as one. I always loved logging into Anarchy Online and getting tells for my Doc, EQ  2 my Mystic or Fury I played both or WoW for my priest and my empathy controller or Mastermind for group content in City of X. I love that if you play well others can benefit from that and appreciate it. I want that back.

It's worth a sub to me to have that challenging group content with roles. I have spent money on subs for many years and will spend more in the future if the game is in my opinion worth it.

Chamber of Chains
  • masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66

@Malabooga

Wildstar is worth it to sub for totally with the content that game brings at the release it has more enough to keep people interested for a long time and then they will keep updating the game with new content each 4-6 week. So ye it is worth it, especially when u compare it with WOW that is also a sub game.

Why? because WOW gets only each 6-12 months new content updates so u get the picture what is worth to sub for and what is not? WOW is def not worth to sub for but Wildstar is.

Originally posted by masterdtox

@Malabooga

Wildstar is worth it to sub for totally with the content that game brings at the release it has more enough to keep people interested for a long time and then they will keep updating the game with new content each 4-6 week. So ye it is worth it, especially when u compare it with WOW that is also a sub game.

Why? because WOW gets only each 6-12 months new content updates so u get the picture what is worth to sub for and what is not? WOW is def not worth to sub for but Wildstar is.

I see you own a crystal ball.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Malabooga

@Malabooga

Really? There were some BRILLIANT ones (Super adventure box) and much much more. It delieverd more content than ANY sub game so far. Yes, not every update was to everyones taste, but you just had to wait 2 weeks for more.

And you sound like every 6 month content update in sub based game is pinnacle of quality. I havent really noticed much difference, sorry, you get a dungeon, maybe new raid, some dailies, mabye new BG and thats IT. Most of new content in SUB games comes from EXPANSIONS that, naturally, COST EXTRA 40-60$.

As i said every wannabe sub game since WoW promised monthly content updates. In every game devs boasted how the game will definitely be "sub worthy" since they have YEARS of content already planned and made, yadda yadda yadda and all that.

I agree GW2 added some brilliant content updates, especially SAB, but they also had a myriad of updates that were next to nothing (especially at the beginning of Living Story). The biggest problem with Living Story is that aside from Lion's Arch being in a shambles, there is no evidence that the Living Story took place. New players or returning players don't really have anyway in game of getting a recap of what happened, and that's the biggest flaw in the Living Story model for season 1.

Additionally, I wouldn't discount the amount of effort is takes a dev team to make a new dungeon and/or raid. Designing, testing and implementing that type of content takes a good amount of time, especially if they add bells and whistles to it. If Carbine adds dungeons and raids as content with your sub fee on a fairly regular basis, that's quite a bit of content. Whether Carbine actually delivers remains to be seen.

Originally posted by Kaneth

@Malabooga

I agree GW2 added some brilliant content updates, especially SAB, but they also had a myriad of updates that were next to nothing (especially at the beginning of Living Story). The biggest problem with Living Story is that aside from Lion's Arch being in a shambles, there is no evidence that the Living Story took place. New players or returning players don't really have anyway in game of getting a recap of what happened, and that's the biggest flaw in the Living Story model for season 1.

Additionally, I wouldn't discount the amount of effort is takes a dev team to make a new dungeon and/or raid. Designing, testing and implementing that type of content takes a good amount of time, especially if they add bells and whistles to it. If Carbine adds dungeons and raids as content with your sub fee on a fairly regular basis, that's quite a bit of content. Whether Carbine actually delivers remains to be seen.

But thats the kick. GW2 added fractals and few full dungeons in LS (though those are not available) and continue to add stuff. Tequatl is pretty much whole new fight and wurm is completely new.

Content not being available any more doesnt mean it hasnt been added. If you are new player you will get all the NEW stuff with some of the old returning (like festivals).

In retrospect GW2 is the only game where people actually complained content is TOO FAST and needs to slow down a bit. People can deny it all they want, but thats how things stand.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Kaneth

@Malabooga

But thats the kick. GW2 added fractals and few full dungeons in LS (though those are not available) and continue to add stuff. Tequatl is pretty much whole new fight and wurm is completely new.

Content not being available any more doesnt mean it hasnt been added. If you are new player you will get all the NEW stuff with some of the old returning (like festivals).

In retrospect GW2 is the only game where people actually complained content is TOO FAST and needs to slow down a bit. People can deny it all they want, but thats how things stand.

Fractals are the only content added thats static and they get old fast. By the time you get to level 20+ you start asking, Why am I doing them? Same handful of dungeon runs but just a little but harder. No variety at all. I have stopped playing GW2 for a long time, sometime after I got sick of Fractals. If I came back now, whats new for me? Not much in the way of content because its living story. I would pay a sub any day of the week to get real content I can play when I want and go revisit because I enjoyed it the first time. And if I cant play for 2 weeks I dont have to miss it. GW2 did some things great but just fall short of worth it. There is a reason GW2 would never make it as a sub game.  

EDIT: Also content in GW2 is shallow. Some odd bit is awesome but most of it is grindy and lackluster. 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Yes because its a lot better than all the free to play mmos i have played in the past 10 years.  GW2 doesnt count since thats B2P and SWTOR doesnt count since you still have to sub for the full experience especially for end game.  Free to play mmos make me uninstall within 5 to 10 minutes.

exactly

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I thought gw2 updates where pathetic...

Nothing but public events with a lame Story. That statement also describes the game itself.