Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar's PvP = Brainless Aimless PvP. Proof inside.

HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Who is who and what is he doing ??? This is the definition of the pvp in 2014 ?

This is my idea of pvp.

5 guys fighting another 5 guys, then other 5 guys are joining...then other guys are joining...and it doesnt matter that 5 are attacking 1 as you can see in the movie...thats not enough. 

Fail, Fail is everywhere...

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

DAOC PvP was awesome but there's nothing like that anymore in modern games (Please don't mention Cyrodiil).

Maybe in Darkfall? I dunno.

I like Wildstar though... even though the PvP is not like DAOC it's still a fun game.

..Cake..

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

Does pvp always have to have a meaning? 

Counter strike never had any meaning at all but it is still very fun, can't fun be enough?

• JafeeioJafeeio Member UncommonPosts: 57

PVP is just a tacked-on feature in these modern mmos to cover all player bases. 

I was huge into RvR in DAoC but you can't expect a game like this to replicate the experience. Wildstar is built on the telegraph gimmick and they run with it throughout the whole game. 

While I will play Wildstar, the PVP is just nothing that interests me.

You should come join us pre-hyping Camelot Unchained ;) It's our only hope for a true RvR focused game. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Isn't that what the Wildstar fans wanted though?  Big 40 on 40 warplot pvp is what they have been screaming for.
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    LOOOOVE that WildStar PVP.  It makes perfect sense, is highly skill-based and a ton of fun.  It's definitely not hard to understand, once you've played it and practiced a bit.  Been PVPing over a decade and this is the most fun I've had in quite some time.  Comparing it to PVP systems like DAoC though, apples and oranges.  There's no point.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Isn't that what the Wildstar fans wanted though?  Big 40 on 40 warplot pvp is what they have been screaming for.

Erm Wildstar fans have been wanting lots of Wildstar's features.

Dungeons, raids, warplots, housing etc

..Cake..

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Too much lag in there and way too much visual clutter. One can barely tell what's going on. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by Hariken

Erm Wildstar fans have been wanting lots of Wildstar's features.

Dungeons, raids, warplots, housing etc

Agreed but its the first time i heard anyone complain that the pvp wasn't great. For me i never liked mmo pvp. I love pvp in shooters though.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

Does pvp always have to have a meaning? 

Counter strike never had any meaning at all but it is still very fun, can't fun be enough?

Small scale PvP does not need mean, but in my opion large scale PvP does. 

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Jafeeio

You should come join us pre-hyping Camelot Unchained ;) It's our only hope for a true RvR focused game. 

I am so close to throw in the cash to join Alpha :)

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

This is my idea of pvp.

5 guys fighting another 5 guys, then other 5 guys are joining...then other guys are joining...and it doesnt matter that 5 are attacking 1 as you can see in the movie...thats not enough. 

The only Fail that I see to Wildstar PvP is an overabundance of AoE's.  When everyone just walks around spamming AoE's, it just doesnt feel very tactical to me.  In my opinion, AoE's should have its place and it should have more of a tactical quality to it.  Its the same problem I had with AD&D back in the day.  In modern MMO's there are only benefits to having tons of AoE's just like most mages had nothing but fireball, lightning bolt, and evards black tentacles.

An AoE should only exceed the damage output of a single target ability when it affects a large number of targets or the AoE should have some drawback attached to it. Otherwise you end up with a game where people run in circles spamming AoE's. Of course this is simply my opinion, wtf do I know.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

I don't think that warplot movie does the Wildstar PVP any justice.

They are just zerging

The FPS are horrible as warplots are the most unoptimized feature of the game at the moment

The raid leader is extremely annoying and hysterical, having no clue of what's going on

They are testing warplots from an earlier build so they are pretty much unorganized

Warplots is still a pretty much unknown feature of Wildstar for most players. If you want to talk about Wildstar PVP try it yourself in open BETA, do the Battlegrounds, the arenas, the world pvp.

Then, once you tried it come and post here if its brainless aimless pvp. I guarantee you that it's not as I've been PVPing mostly exclusively in Wildstar. It's the best pvp I've tried so far from a MMO perspective of playing WoW for 6 years, DCUO, Age of Wushu, Rift, SWTOR, GW2 and ESO.

If you're going to judge game's PVP just from random videos you find in the internet then you ll never find anything you will like. I gave ESO a try for its PVP as it seemed epic, boy was I wrong. It looks epic, plays very differently.

In my opinion that DAOC video looks complete garbage but then again I never played DAOC, I'm probably wrong and it was pretty good at the time.

So my advice is, if you want to talk about things, make sure you know what you're saying before criticizing brainlessly.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

Warplots are still getting a lot of work done.

They're mostly just PvE fests with one guy standing around waiting to call strikes down to wipe out the other team. Basically they're not a good barometer of where PvP is at right now.

That said Battlegrounds are a ton of fun right now. My friends and I have spent all of open beta just getting characters to 6 then rolling around Battlegrounds as a group.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Until now i m having great time in WS and i love almost every aspect of the game.

The biggest bet for me, will be the promise about the monthly content addition. If they will be able to deliver content like new zones & events, bg's, dungeons, arenas, adventures, raids, world bosses etc every month, then i m going to stay for a very long time in this game. Time will tell :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

What a god awful topic, the OPs evidence to support the title is someone else's video in Warplots which are hands down the most massive PVP portion of the game with a majority of the options being 5v5 - 10v10.  Then to top it off you show a video of someone auto following in DaoC with no sound and out dated combat mechanics that no one wants revived with their modern DaoC dream.

You are right about one thing, fail is everywhere.  You aim brainlessly in arenas or open world and you will quickly learn how garbage you are, or in some peoples case you will go to the forum and say the class you're playing is underpowered.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I like the pvp, but to each his own....

Can't wait for warplots........

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Faster combat does tend to make PvP more hectic. That can be good and bad.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

DAoC rvr was incredible, especially when it had the population to support it, but I can't honestly see the bulk of modern players getting behind any of the things I'm nostalgic about. 

60 sec. mez, 10sec. stun, 1 character able to PBAoE an entire raids-worth, one-shot perfs, stealth groups climbing the walls of keeps, the /stick & /face macros, animists locking down an entire lord's room... 

Even Darkness Falls, when the gear there was considered worthy of endgame, to have pve'ers at the whim of pvp'ers ('course back then, we did both =/) in order to enter it and then be ganked when they try to farm.

Games might be able to reintroduce the frontiers-design, and to their credit, gw2 and eso (and to an extent aion) have done a reasonable job, but implementing the actual combat that made roaming or zerging exhilarating? 

The sheer amount of whine and rage-quit any one of these features would produce in a AAA mmo would probably cause the internet to implode.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    This is no different then WvW in gw2 lol....Matter of fact you can put a gw2 vid in the place of this. And you wouldn't even notice the difference lol.
  • PhertiasPhertias Member UncommonPosts: 51

Another DaOC fanboy who wishes the days of the DaOC era would return in the form of another glorious RvR game.

Truth be told, if DaOC launched today, it would be a massive failure with static combat and poor execution. 

Wildstar warplots have unique strategic features which you can in no way apply in DaOC. 

Besides, as a former Warhammer and DaOC player I can say that RvR is the most overrated bullshit besides the sandbox effect that has ever been created. RvR has the least advanced strategic execution mechanics because you cannot control open PvP like that.  

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    that WS video showing the "can't use the ability yet" every 2 seconds is epic
  • blazedontblazedont Member UncommonPosts: 12
    i just laugh up to eso.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

HAHA

Thanks for the link to the Wildstar video - made me laugh.

I tried Wildstar closed beta after every patch hoping the game performance would improve, but it never changed one frame from start of closed beta until the end.

I always wanted to see what kind of comedy performance we'd get in a mega pvp environment, and now I've seen it. Thanks.

On the topic of PvP, it's generally always garbage when you have that many players, imo. The part that makes Wildstar extra bad is the fact it can't even perform properly with 1 player in PvE, let alone 40v40.

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

This is my idea of pvp.

So you are comparing an open pvp encounter with an unoptimized beta battleground match?

you just googled wildstar pvp and copied the first link you came up with?

I couldn't care much for pvp in any game but I would feel more inclined to try Ws pvp, maybe was the quality of the daoc "movie" but it seemed really bland to me, No dodging, no skillshots, just walking (cause that was walking) around tab targeting and hitting 1,2,3 , then following a big black dude while hitting him, and the black dude couldn't do anything to shake him off...

But to each their own...Maybe there is more to it if you actually play it, but then the same could be said about W*, which you didn't.

Edit: Proof reading while high is hard....

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No game can be great at everything, I don't think I'd pick up a game like WS for the PVP anyway.

Edit- Secondly, doesn't Wildstar release in a matter of weeks? I wouldn't hold out hope that "optimization" is going to be much better at that point, when is it ever in these games?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson