Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft earnings for 1q 2014... not looking pretty...

12345679»

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by caetftl
    Originally posted by Malevil

Lets get back to the point OP was trying to make - > that NCsoft and GW2 has problems . Which is obvious bullshit. Honestly 100+ mil USD per year for almost 2y old game is not what I call 'problem'. And comparing drop from Q4 (hint: Christmas) to Q1 and try to make it look like doom is either stupidity or direct attempt to start flame war (in which he succeeded ).

Revenue isn't profit btw... and that 100mill usd per year isn't for a 2 year old game, it is for 4 quarters out of 6 aka a 1.5 year span.  I wish you would look at things objectively and stop trying to skew the context all the time.  I'll put it this way, if it wasn't a problem they wouldn't be megaservering which is basically just merging servers (gw2 fanbois conveniently used to use server merging as an indication that other games were struggling, but apparently that doesn't apply to their game) and they definitely wouldn't be trying to change the direction of the game constantly if they were getting results they liked.  It's also funny that you can use Q4 => Q1 as an excuse for number drops but then glorify Q3=>Q4 as the second coming of grenth.  (hint:christmas)

The game is down QoQ and YoY, it is at its second lowest quarter all time...

Keep turning 1.5 years into 2 years though... it must help you sleep better at night. 

Originally posted by afterchamy
    I stopped reading when I read that OP wrote LoL was B2P ... epic facepalm.

Sounds like you never started reading, cause I never actually said that...

Actually GW2 has posted 7 quarters so far for a combined revenue of $305.9M.

And digital sales have margins of over 90% (as seen in EVE financial reports).

It is funny the only quarter report of GW2 that you didn't show up was 4Q13.

Ah, and the game revenue also hasn't dropped from 3Q13 to 1Q14.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Malevil
    Lets get back to the point OP was trying to make - > that NCsoft and GW2 has problems . Which is obvious bullshit. Honestly 100+ mil USD per year for almost 2y old game is not what I call 'problem'. And comparing drop from Q4 (hint: Christmas) to Q1 and try to make it look like doom is either stupidity or direct attempt to start flame war (in which he succeeded ).

Op is the offical Gw2 hater on this forum. He creates a threat about Ncsoft earnings and how low they are, every 3 months. And Gw2 is dying like 1,5 years according to op. The most pathetic person in this forum.

His very first post is " most people can't be objective" followed by 2 years of GW2 is failing. That is kind of sad but funny.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

As the resident 'non-GW2 fanboy' (just look at my post history), even I think this thread is hilarious.

Apparently $300 million is 'not looking pretty'.  ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by redgang1
    Not surprising, they built GW2 with absolutely zero lasting power just like every other new MMO. Tack on lack of progression and the game will be a ghost town in no time.

You are kinda 2 years too late m8. lol

Still good to see GW2 going strong, it puts it No.2 game in the west (if EvE hasnt surpassed 550k subs by now)

Nice news. Release in China will certainly spice things up, it might become No.1 NCSoft game which is no small feat since it holds one of the most successful MMOs that bow only to WoW.

You are the one responsible for asserting the number 2 figure. All the subsequent argument on that made up figure would not have happened but for that assertion.

Every thing that happened subsequently in this thread was caused by you. There was absolutely no need to say that without any proof and further to cause this thread to be derailed .Want to talk about the earnings do so without the unnecessary postulation. 

ROFL

NO, people indefinitely citing random internet crap as "proof" (you included) are responsible for all the BS in this thread (and, suspiciously - only for SWTOR)

I already said it has become really obscene by now and your post shadows even THAT obscenity. I dont really know what is going on with SWTOR and this site, but it smells foul and by now i have very strong suspicions.

SWTOR numbers you (and other like you) brought in are standard internet BS. EA hides them, for OVER 2 and 1/2 YEARS, and for a good reason - it has never performed well and it never will, its YOU and people like YOU that cannot bring ANY official source that plague threads like this.

The post you quoted STILL STANDS unchallenged.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Love them inconsistent double standards and dishonesty and biased hypocrisy.

"I can claim GW2 is doing worse than SWTOR like a fact, citing some people on the internet estimating it based on undisclosed sources. And all I have to do is insinst and make excuses why they are not lacking credibility. But you have to proof it wrong with hard facts and real data if you want to doubt them or even assert the opposite."

"If you claim GW2 is 2nd place in the West based on the available credible financial data, I can claim you are wrong based on nothing but my opinion and random internet estimates. The burden to prove my denial and my estimates wrong now is on you and so long you are wrong."

"3rd party estimates based on undisclosed sources and data become facts if you keep quoting them often enough"

"Click hunting blogger and authors, hyping unconfimed buzz reports for ad revenue are the "industry and developer" and proof estimates are credible regardless of the various factual errors and inconsistencies made in the buzz report and previous reports of the source"

"But GW2 is only doing 7% (lets round down 7.89%) of first place. Therefore it didn't really accomplish anything great and its just generic. Disregard first place is established in the remaining global markets ten times the size and at least equal the market capacity of GW2s current, where GW2 is not even released. Disregard first place is the financial most successful game in history of all times overshadowing the entire game industry. Lets not name the "many" few MMO that are supposed to make just as much as GW2 either,  because they all tend to be majorly and longterm successful title"

"Eastern market can not provide GW2 with revenue, because WoW flopped in high revenue eastern markets and only makes some spare change doing moderately well in low royalty charge China running at discount price (by Chinese P2P standards). GW2 will perform exactly like WoW and face the exact same East/West revnue reatio even running with a completely different P2P business model!"

How can you argue with stuff like that? And thats is really what people actually say, omitting of course the information that makes it look retarded.

Put into words and spending more time than im willing to on this :)

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I'd just like to know where that 300 mill went because it certainly ain't going back into GW2.
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    The OP has 296 desperate post continusly trying to spin any info he can gather about GW2 negativly. This isnt the first time he has brought up Ncsofts earnings reports to bash GW2. He did it with the previous ones as well. This guy clearly has a problem with GW2 and just can not move the fuck on. Its rather sad.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol I'm guessing it's the monthly content provided for no sub. You could wonder the same about every mmorg, and considering as much if not more content than any other aaa mmorg your choice of gw2 is curious. I would look at wow with it's sub and hundreds of million a quarter.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Op attacks on GW2 is a bit weird, maybe GW2 developers built a miter way next to his house?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    I'd just like to know where that 300 mill went because it certainly ain't going back into GW2.

Yeah because all game revenue goes back into the game.

WoW is clearly getting $900M per year invested on it, right?

GW2 development model.

Arenanet asks NCSoft for money to develop GW2. NCSoft gives Anet (@150 people) 5 years to develop it or $30-75M.

Additionally, currently Arenanet (@350 people) costs around $30-40M per year and GW2 has been out for 2 years now, so that is another $60-80M invested in GW2 (unless Arenanet isn't working in more content for GW2).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Oh noes it dropped from the XMAS quarter to the First Quarter.

$24.5M pretty respectable.

It also dropped to a much lower point than it was at in 1q last year... not a good sign at all... at this rate it will be at an all time low next quarter...

Originally posted by Celcius

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Another massive drop (~25%) in revenue compared to 4q.... I wonder if that's why GW2 has been on sale so much lately and if that's why they did the whole megaserver thing...

WoW did cross realm servers. It must be dying. 

Seriously though, those numbers are down from the holiday quarter, which were up from the previous quarter iirc. Either way, revenue has been hovering around the same % for a long time now and is only going to increase substantially with the China release. 

WoW has actually been in decline overall for many years.. which is why they added cross realm servers.. so you made a very good point...

It spikes for a holiday quarter and you take it at the second coming of grenth... it drops an alarming amount (one of the biggest declines when put into context) and you make an excuse...

It also hasn't been hovering around the same % for a long time now... 4q was actually the only quarter it had shown growth for since the game came out... it had been in steady decline before that, and has quickly gotten back to it's second lowest point all time... it basically almost completely wiped out the holiday growth... and did it all in 1 quarter... that isn't good.

And they still have enough to push out new games like Wildstar and GW2 in China.

So it's not bad at all, I'd say it's quite the opposite.

Also why they did megaservers on GW2 is the result of people complaining how mid-lvl zones are almost empty. With "megaservers" (which aren't really megaservers like ESO or any of the other crap) they made zones merge together so now they get filled up with people again to make the world feel diverse and alive again in every zone.

Also you can't expect a B2P game racking up on sales after 2 years, main source of income for it now is the cash shop.

Yes NCsoft has enough to make more games?  That doesn't mean GW2 isn't in decline?  GW2 was never going to make or break ncsoft, they have much more popular games out there...

They did the megaservers because there weren't enough players populating the world...

You actually can expect a B2P game to be racking up on sales after 2 years... games like LoL are doing it just fine... It's really a matter of whether you have enough people playing the game to make it work...

Originally posted by Tbau
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Oh noes it dropped from the XMAS quarter to the First Quarter.

$24.5M pretty respectable.

It also dropped to a much lower point than it was at in 1q last year... not a good sign at all... at this rate it will be at an all time low next quarter...

1st quarter last year had the game releasing in a new region so had  a sales spike.

24.5 million places it at a pace of 100 million for the year.

That's equal to having 555,555 people subscribing for 12 months at $15 a month. That's damn good for a game with no subscription options and places it far above some of the best MMOs in history, UO, EQ1, DaoC, SWG...none had that many subscribers at one time.

So let me get this straight... you are making excuses for this quarters performance... by retroactively downplaying last year 1q?

Also you are comparing gw2 numbers to games that are 10- 15 years old and came out before WoW ballooned the market numbers...

That's because WOW is a freak show based on getting ppl addicted to the game, and they succeeded at that. Like I said, a freak show at the right place at the right time.

It is pointless trying to compare old/new games to that game.

Also, would like to see the REAL WOW sub numbers, I don't believe for a thing that WOW has millions of players lol. Counting the servers for each zone/continent and the normal player limit on those servers you don't just get to the 7-8-12M players lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Thanks for the explanation Gaia. Appreciate the response.
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

23 pages and counting...

The game has almost two years, and is still the most played other games that have been left behind, and this game has not changed its business model to attract more players to ...

PD: I hope you understand me, English is not my native language.

l2p

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by jpnz

As the resident 'non-GW2 fanboy' (just look at my post history), even I think this thread is hilarious.

Apparently $300 million is 'not looking pretty'.  ROFL!

Im sure people of ANet and NCSoft cry and weap over it every night before sleep :)

Also i agree with you, it has pure gold in comedy value :)

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    This thread has devolved to bickering, flaming and trolling.  Locking it.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.