Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Arena Commander" (DFM) Launch date revealed!!

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

NICE!

Let's party like it is 1863!

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Wonder when elite will move the beta forward to the 28th instead of the 30th... :D

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by wucks

Wonder when elite will move the beta forward to the 28th instead of the 30th... :D

Why would they? They really aren't worried about SC.

..Cake..

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by wucks Wonder when elite will move the beta forward to the 28th instead of the 30th... :D
    Why would they? They really aren't worried about SC.

It was a tongue in cheek comment (hence the smiley) about the one upmanship that SC clearly went for with their date.

I shall make a public announcement before any more such comments, just in case you decide to pop in again.

• Heh, I see some people's worst nightmares have come through. They'll have to pull all-nighters to play both DFM and Elite premium beta. Interestingly the final versions of the games launch so far apart it's hard to see them actually compete much in the end.

I think Elite backers missing their instant combat fix from the Alpha scenarios will be happy to re-experience this in SC's DFM. Would be funny to see videos of the developers going head to head in each others' games.

DFM looks very promising. Will be waiting to see the YouTube vids and streaming.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Serious question: what's the point of backing this late? First they locked off insurance to those who had backed before a certain point, and now they've locked off these modules to people who backed before they hit $43M. So all this says to me is that my money keeps being worth less and less, especially seeing as how they'll likely want more money from me if I want to get hold of the dogfighting module. (Strike that. I just looked on their site and it's already up for $5. Gosh. Heck, they're even shutting down the alpha pass section of many backer packages making those worth less, too.) I dunno. The more I look at the game, the more I like the concept, but the more I'm repulsed by their monetization. As long as they keep devaluing backers' money I keep feeling worse and worse about the game. It's like a bad F2P scheme. So yeah. What's the point of backing it? Especially when they keep screwing over later pledges.
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Two weeks, sounds famillar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcjUmBncZ8

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    Serious question: what's the point of backing this late? First they locked off insurance to those who had backed before a certain point, and now they've locked off these modules to people who backed before they hit $43M. So all this says to me is that my money keeps being worth less and less, especially seeing as how they'll likely want more money from me if I want to get hold of the dogfighting module. (Strike that. I just looked on their site and it's already up for $5. Gosh. Heck, they're even shutting down the alpha pass section of many backer packages making those worth less, too.) I dunno. The more I look at the game, the more I like the concept, but the more I'm repulsed by their monetization. As long as they keep devaluing backers' money I keep feeling worse and worse about the game. It's like a bad F2P scheme. So yeah. What's the point of backing it? Especially when they keep screwing over later pledges.

Uhh...because you can get the entire game for $40 ($20 cheaper than it will be at retail) and still have access to the beta and single player earlier than anyone getting retail. And for $5 you can get an alpha slot for a module of your choosing.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

now all I hope for is that I win a small lottery to buy a new PC with an Oculus devkit.

I feel like my 2011 PC won't cut it anymore

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66
    I ll have an eye for this game. Clearly interesed in. But really need to know if it's as epic as they said. Dont feel like throwing a 3K$ in a NSA rig for nothin ^^
    Originally posted by Copypasterino
    I ll have an eye for this game. Clearly interesed in. But really need to know if it's as epic as they said. Dont feel like throwing a 3K$ in a NSA rig for nothin ^^

They've promised every feature under the sun. They're not particularly fast with their development so it'll take a looooong time before we actually find out of they're successfully implementing everything they've promised.

However the DFM is a step in the right direction and at last people will actually get to engage in actual gameplay.

Personally I'm not in a rush to play it so I'm hanging back until enough features have been implemented to classify it as a game. 

The Wing Commander series was one of my favourite so if they can capture the same feeling I'll be a happy space sim player.

..Cake..

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by atticusbc

1) the game will costs more to buy than the Aurora package once released, prolly the typical 60 dollars.

2) Ships in game will costs more than their current dollar value now, also you won't be able to buy ships directly once the game launches, so all ships are at a discount for now. Ie. With the exchange 1000 UEC = 1 dollar, a ship now costing 100 dollars will cost maybe 250K UEC at launch.

3) because you believe in Chris Roberts and want to support his return to the gaming industry

4) because you believe in the PC Master race and want to support that platform

5) Because you like to encourage crowdfunding.

6) because you like space sims and the game concept in general.

7) because Elite:Dangerous costs 150 dollars for the Beta and that is way more than 40.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Originally posted by Volkmar

7) because Elite:Dangerous costs 150 dollars for the Beta and that is way more than 40.

That price includes all the expansions for free.

It also means you can start playing the moment you pay.

..Cake..

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Are there any recent videos on ship physics? Can't say I was enthused by the physics shown at PAX so figured I would hold off.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Are there any recent videos on ship physics? Can't say I was enthused by the physics shown at PAX so figured I would hold off.

I dunno but maybe soon when the DFM launch gets closer

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

True story:

This video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQDDc7Pxlc shows very little understanding of how ships free to move would behave in a zero-g, frictionless environment during a dogfight.  If that comes off as harsh, maybe it's all those years playing Vendetta Online.  Anyone who had a freshman course in physics should never have let that trailer out of the gate.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance