Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last great hope for the MMO Genre.

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

While I didn't start with the original Everquest I did know about it's existence while I was playing Asheron's Call the same year both released.  While I didn't find anything I would consider "my thing" about original EQ, it did 10 times better in numbers then my beloved AC.  It also ushered in the great MMO genre beginings, seeing as it was the first commercial success and relative household name.

I hope this same history will work with its newest MMO.  As a huge proponent of Innovation and uniqueness in the Genre It is damn refreshing to see EQN go away from the EQ/WoW model that has stymied this genre for far to damn long.

Here's hoping the EQN Revolution ushers in a new game changing, genre defining MMO.  Because sadly if it doesn't I can almost assuredly see me never looking into this genre again.  For me this is the last hope and the final nail in the coffin.  I have been without an MMO for far too long and I couldn't take another failed MMO.

Get it Right SOE!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

well if EQN doesn't do it, another MMO eventually will. The thing is however, that everything i've seen about EQN so far I like. The video graphics, will work well with the "action combat" model they plan to implement. 

Really as long as they get the combat good, engaging, higher skill cap, long lasting fun it will work.

If they add really good PvE (which i'm sure they will, it's friggin Everquest), this will seal the deal for most players.

This game has the biggest potential to offer everything an MMO should (like Vanilla WoW, TBC etc), with some next gen tech. People at Sony seem dead set on producing something of high quality.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

SOE is really pushing innovation. This afford can not be to highly praised. And at least the building part of the voxel engine works well so far.

But there are two things to consider. The first is that innovative technology does not automatically make a great game it also has the be applied well. A extreme example for that was Spore. The Spore Creature Creator is a really cool tool but that is the only good thing that can be said about Spore. I don't want say that EQN will be like that but there where a lot of mmos who started a s tiger and ended as a bedside rug. GW2 set out to revolutionize the genre with its dynamic content, but while it was a step in the right direction it fell short and ended up being not really dynamic because the game didn't make good use of it most the time.

The second thing is that a lot design decisions look like SOE is not aiming for a spiritual successor of Everquest but instead the worlds greatest casual game. SOE tries to market the game to EQ veterans too but they are not at all their target audience. It seems to me that EQN tries to expend into the casual marked like no mmo before. I can't blame SOE for that, this is where the money is I guess. But I'm not playing a game because of its business plan.

However we don't know that much about EQN jet except some basic concepts. I still get my hopes up.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Casual?  Compared to what?  Everything we've heard so far sounds like EQN will be exactly what hardcore MMO fans wants.  

Countless build possibilities when customizing your character's abilities and gear.

PVE Content where skill, teamwork and strategy are what matter, instead of how many levels you grinded.

Dynamic AI

A living world where your actions make a difference

Huge focus on exploration

Sounds to me like a real MMORPG, one that makes all others look like casual baby toys in comparison.

Maybe we have different ideas of what hardcore is.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

I too hope for a bright future.  EQ was my first...wouldn't mind a prodigal return to EQN. :)

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• deadhead74deadhead74 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Yeah im waiting for EQN as well.  This landmark thing isn't for me, so ill be playing wildstar until it releases.  Cannot wait for a sandbox game worth a damn to release. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It will be the last great hope till it launches. Then it will have it's haters and fanboys and ...the next game will be the last great hope.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

the last great hope for the MMO genre

I wish I had a dime for each time that was posted on a gaming forum. My son wants me to get new rims on the Navigator, and that kind of cash would allow me to buy him his own damn car so he stops bitching about how mine looks. 

Originally posted by DamonVile
    It will be the last great hope till it launches. Then it will have it's haters and fanboys and ...the next game will be the last great hope.

Exactly. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by DamonVile

^This... I am hoping for a beautiful experience with EQN, but I'm not expecting a shut down of the genre if it should do poorly.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    From post like these you would guess that the whole genre was on its knees. It's not. New releases are coming out every month, more people are playing than ever and are spread out over a variety of different games and sub genres.

I completely agree that mmo's have not evolved as fast or as well as we would of liked and that for many of us the genre has stagnated or even taken a step back. But to suggest that this is the last best hope for the whole genre is nonsense.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Maybe NEXT great hope would be better wording? =)

While I'm a gamer first and a EQ fan 2nd (in this case), I hope EQN pulls the genre forward. I'd imagine that Blizzard's next mmo will attempt to do what SOE is doing and actually have some degree of freshness and thinking outside the box. Games like Pathfinder Online also seem interesting, but unfortunately, money drives these games and I don't see a smaller company really making a splash. If anything, whatever unique features they have will be copied by the big boys and they'll be left behind.

Currently, beyond niche appeal (WAR 40k, Camelot Unchained) don't see many/any games on the horizon that are pushing boundaries for a large demographic. Shards, Albion Online, and a few other small projects seem fun, but I don't seem the really changing how we view this genre.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by DMKano

No.

No even close to last hope.

Some unknown indie game will probably revolutionize the genre and make EQN seem like a joke.

IMO SoE will never again make a game that will be as good as good and revolutionary as EQ1(which wasn't even an SoE game) - that was their pinnacle.

Right up till the guy running the show uses the money to get high and call it medical expenses. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No.

Some unknown indie game will probably revolutionize the genre and make EQN seem like a joke.

IMO SoE will never again make a game that will be as good as good and revolutionary as EQ1(which wasn't even an SoE game) - that was their pinnacle.

Verant and 989 were always owned by Sony.. Why do you think QEynos is Qeynos? Spell it backwards once...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

No.

Verant and 989 were always owned by Sony.. Why do you think QEynos is Qeynos? Spell it backwards once...

No SoE did buy EQ1 and they put their touches on it (how many I do not know), but the staff that made the game, a lot of them kept working for SoE. Some of them are working on EQN as well. 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Casual?  Compared to what?  Everything we've heard so far sounds like EQN will be exactly what hardcore MMO fans wants.  

Countless build possibilities when customizing your character's abilities and gear.

PVE Content where skill, teamwork and strategy are what matter, instead of how many levels you grinded.

Dynamic AI

A living world where your actions make a difference

Huge focus on exploration

Sounds to me like a real MMORPG, one that makes all others look like casual baby toys in comparison.

Maybe we have different ideas of what hardcore is.

This is what the company who is making it has said, yet not shown evidence of any of this being true. Remember when smedley said he had a game coming out for SWG fans, then announced h1z1? Keep your hopes in check sir, as this game will likely be a buffet of whatever game type is making other companies the most $$ (think MOBA, not RPG).

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

No.

No SoE did buy EQ1 and they put their touches on it (how many I do not know), but the staff that made the game, a lot of them kept working for SoE. Some of them are working on EQN as well. 

.Verant was always a sony company.. They were brought into the SOE brand later..

Verant Interactive

Headquartered in San Diego, California, Verant Interactive was a game development studio primarily focused on the production of online games. The company is best known for the MMORPG EverQuest. Verant was formed as a development venture inside Sony (and its interactive/online production arm, Sony Interactive Studios), and was spun off as its own design team shortly after the release of EverQuest. The team still always kept itself closely aligned with the operating entity that became Sony Online Entertainment, and was acquired by the company in June of 2000. The developer became fully absorbed into SOE as its core internal design studio and now no longer operates under its original name.

As to the OP, I also think EQN has the chance of changing MMOing but I dont think its the last chance to save MMOs. Its like anything, if its good people will play it. Even if it starts out small, gamer word of month get people playing EQ1 and they had no coverage on the game like we get today. 

Im worried about some of the things that remind me of GW2 like no hard trinity, they have the soft trinity. Tanking skills but no taunt. This turned GW2 IMO to the zerg style game it is today. What I am excited for is the NPCs and quests. Having NPCs remember you and the actions you did is mind blowing. Collecting classes has me supper happy. I loved that part of Rift collecting soles. Also exploring even on the Z axis and no 2 servers being the same because of how the players interact with the game. Thats a wet dream on its own. Take my money now!!!!

No.

.Verant was always a sony company.. They were brought into the SOE brand later..

Verant Interactive

Headquartered in San Diego, California, Verant Interactive was a game development studio primarily focused on the production of online games. The company is best known for the MMORPG EverQuest. Verant was formed as a development venture inside Sony (and its interactive/online production arm, Sony Interactive Studios), and was spun off as its own design team shortly after the release of EverQuest. The team still always kept itself closely aligned with the operating entity that became Sony Online Entertainment, and was acquired by the company in June of 2000. The developer became fully absorbed into SOE as its core internal design studio and now no longer operates under its original name.

Hmmm well maybe you should read THIS!!!!

No.

Verant Interactive

The funny part is both things come from the same source. It says right at the top they were formed within the sony Corp and later bought out by the SOE division. WHich means they were probably more or less like Naughty Dog or something like that, then were bought out entirely.

For more proof 989 was always sony as well... they just moved between different Sony divisions.. It does shine more light on the Verant thing here though, they broke off independently for about a year and were brought back in.

The 989 Sports game developed from a long history of name changes and corporate shuffling within Sony centered around operations in Foster City, California. In August 1995, the video game business of Sony Imagesoft was merged with the product development branch of SCEA, becoming Sony Interactive Studios America (SISA).[1] On April 1998, SISA was renamed 989 Studios, after the street address of the building they worked in at the time (989 E. Hillsdale Boulevard, Foster City, California). The part of 989 developing EverQuest (and other online and PC games) broke off to become an independent studio named Verant Interactive in early 1999. On April 1, 2000, 989 Studios was merged back into SCEA as a first party development group, in order to prepare for the then-upcoming PlayStation 2. SCEA continues to release sports games under the 989 Sports brand. Subsequent reissues and sequels to 989's games are published under the SCEA name instead of the 989 name.<sup inline-template="" template-fact"="">[citation needed]

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

No.

Verant Interactive

In April 1998, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) was formed by merging parts of Sony Online Ventures with Sony Pictures Entertainment. Within a matter of months after this change, Sony Interactive Studios America was renamed 989 studios.  Towards the end of 1998, 989 Studios shifted its strategy to making only Playstation console games.  The company's computer game and online development branch spun off, initially named RedEye Interactive, and then soon after renamed Verant Interactive.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    No!  I think the Warhammer 40k mmo is the last great hope for the mmo genre... or black desert... so hard to choose sometimes...
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

If you think this "action" combat, p2w single player mmo is the last hope, you should be giving up right now.

This game is going to bomb.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35
    If doing nonsensical cartwheels and flips with every jump is the last hope for the genre then I'm pretty sure we are all screwed.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Last great hope, or latest great hope?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    From what I have heard and read. I hope the game is all that it claims to be. It'd be nice to play a unique MMO for a change. 
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Captain Hyperbole returns!

What did you say about Neverwinter again?

kkthanksbi

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!