Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Dungeons And Dragons Online be good?

Ive been looking into Dungeons and Dragons and it look very tempting, if anyone has the beta or has played the Beta, plz post some details and compare it to game such as WoW or EQ

Comments

• VelgarVelgar Member Posts: 39

Best way to know is to try it yourself. Fortunately they are doing a stress test ( or event if you prefer) starting tommorow and ending saturday. Check their site for more detail...

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Best advice I can give you is to wait for reviews.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Having played it in beta I will answer you with my opinion (and several folks I have talked to share it):
    It is good, for what it is.
    It is NOT worth the monthly fee, however. If it didn't have a monthly fee it would be a fine game. But for a fee? No, it's not good enough.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

D&D online will it be good? I have no idea, it its like the paper and 12 sided dice counter part it might not be as good as other mmogs. This is just my opinion if they made is as most other games but that's another story. But then again it will seem to play like dungeon seige.

My two cents.image

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Elnator

Having played it in beta I will answer you with my opinion (and several folks I have talked to share it):
    It is good, for what it is.
    It is NOT worth the monthly fee, however. If it didn't have a monthly fee it would be a fine game. But for a fee? No, it's not good enough.

I agree.  I too beta tested D&DO and really wanted to like the game enough to say I'm going to purchase it at launch, however that is not going to happen.   It is exactly what Turbine promised, a City in the land of Eberron named Stormreach from which you can go dungeon crawling from in instanced dungeons...these include interior and exterior instances.  There is no world to explore.  No economy what to speak of...nothing like EQ, EQII, AC, DAoC - in other words if you are expecting a world to explore and adventure in - forget that idea right now. 

There are some flaws to D&DO that will most likely seriously hamper Turbines ability to retain the people that purchase the game - one of those being the repetativeness of instances.  They only have so many dungeons skinned and you'll learn what I am talking about once you start playing.  Turbine promises to add more content after the game is launched, however they give no time table and frequency of content patches.  Also be aware that D&DO ws made using a modified version of the AC2 world builder engine and the same issues that were in AC2, like rubberbanding is still there and that also means that it'll be just as hard to add new content to D&DO as it was for Turbine to add new content in AC2.

• stargazer_o5stargazer_o5 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by MasterchiefM

Ive been looking into Dungeons and Dragons and it look very tempting, if anyone has the beta or has played the Beta, plz post some details and compare it to game such as WoW or EQ

Total trash. It won't last a year with turdbine at the helm

• AzRaell33AzRaell33 Member Posts: 155

Not worth it.  Big let down..
  • voodookhanvoodookhan Member Posts: 267

I personally enjoyed DDO when I played it in beta. I enjoyed the graphics and the quests. The leveling was quick, the combat didn't annoy me, and I personally like the Eberron setting (even though some folks had their hearts set on Forgotten Realms). I'll be playing it launch for sure.

However, I would not compare it to WoW or EQ at all. It's a completely different animal. No XP for killing, just for completing quest objectives. All quests are instanced. No regaining hp or "spell points" by just standing around (unless you are in a tavern, otherwise you need to use a potion, be healed, or use a rest shrine). No crafting, no PvP, soloing is difficult (but doable with the right build and the willingness to die often), etc. etc.

Everybody complains about the lack of content, and to be honest that IMHO is the biggest negative about this game. I don't have a problem with the "skins" used in the quests, but I do have a problem with there not being enough quests in general. If Turbine follows through on their promises to get new content out often, then this problem will go away quickly. If they don't, then this game will be dead in the water in less than a year for a lot of people who pre-ordered or purchased it at release time.

--------------
    Played: Age of Conan, DDO, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, DaOC, MxO, EQ2, and so on...
    Wish List: Jumpgate Evolution, Star Wars: TOR, Star Trek

• Originally posted by MasterchiefM

I know its possible you might WORK for them. You might be one of DDO's game DEVs. Or even a DDO utra-fan. Trying to indirectly promote, hype, DDO. Heck, get more than 8 people to join th efree stress test? LOL. But I will go ahead and bite .......... so..........

The info you seek is in this thread:

http://mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadforum/51/loadthread/64222/setstart/1/loadclass/35

Many DDO beta testers posted in it.

----------------------

And..... I decided to do the LEG WORK for yo.u! image

Here is the link to PLAY DDO for FREEEE!

http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=66&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=180

(heck , a brand new "modern" mmorpg with a FREE stress test, and it still has not filled up?!? Guess what other brand new mmorpg had the same problem? Yes, AC2! )

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772
    what do you mean "will it be good"? its already proven to be crap in beta
  • AzRaell33AzRaell33 Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by Vendayn

Originally posted by AzRaell33

Not worth it. Big let down..

and the post before this. It might help if you say why its a big let down...but its all opinion, I really like DDO and I play WoW also. I know a few people that like it...MMORPG is a very very small part of what people think of a mmorpg(s)

Why?  The poster obviously knows about WoW, and EQ, so anything I add is going to be my opinion.  I was just trying to avoid a long winded explanation of why I don’t like it because those same reasons have been posted by other players.  The only way the poster is going to get a good honest comparison is if he/she plays the game, or they have a friend they can trust not to blow smoke up there azz.