Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar really worth a sub?

RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29

Is this game (or any game for that matter) really worth a $15 monthly sub?

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

Seriously, they did it with GW and GW2, why not this game?

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

Comments

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Your question is impossible to answer since nobody has had to pay for one yet in order to tell you if they see value in it or not. The game seems to be worth it at this point based on my level 1-50 experience, but ask us again in another month after launch.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Subs aren't a thing of the past and unless you're referring to RTS or MOBA games, there aren't many options in terms of AAA f2p titles.  A lot of your post is mixing opinion and fact.

However, I don't think wildstar is worth a sub for my own reasons. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Subs aren't a thing of the past and unless you're referring to RTS or MOBA games, there aren't many options in terms of AAA f2p titles.  A lot of your post is mixing opinion and fact.

Are you nuts? Seriously?

How about games NC Soft has already produced such as GW and GW2 just for starters. Then theres Rift, EQ2, STO, LOTRO, the list goes on and on.

Its harder to actually find a sub game these days that dosent at least offer a F2P option.

Again, with the exception of WOW.

Originally posted by Prhyme
    Your question is impossible to answer since nobody has had to pay for one yet in order to tell you if they see value in it or not. The game seems to be worth it at this point based on my level 1-50 experience, but ask us again in another month after launch.

You dont need to play a game for 6 months to know if its worth a sub these days, NC Soft has successfully produced a number of game that never had a sub and they did great.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    No

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I'm giving ESO the benefit of the doubt. If they deliver content as they promised (every 4-6 weeks) I'll be glad to pay those $15... if not, well, I won't play the game more than one or two months.
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Radakill

Are you nuts? Seriously?

How about games NC Soft has already produced such as GW and GW2 just for starters. Then theres Rift, EQ2, STO, LOTRO, the list goes on and on.

Its harder to actually find a sub game these days that dosent at least offer a F2P option.

I must have missed something, is GW2 F2P? Last time I looked it costed 39,99 euro.

----

----

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Yes because its a lot better than all the free to play mmos i have played in the past 10 years.  GW2 doesnt count since thats B2P and SWTOR doesnt count since you still have to sub for the full experience especially for end game.  Free to play mmos make me uninstall within 5 to 10 minutes.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

You dont need to play a game for 6 months to know if its worth a sub these days, NC Soft has successfully produced a number of game that never had a sub and they did great.

Besides GW2, NC Soft has not "produced' anything without a sub that did great assuming you're talking financially.  Aion could've been great, and it went down the gutter. Same with lineage II. Guild wars 1 was a great game in my opinion, but by no means did it do great financially either. 

What about Exteel and city of heroes? Where did NC SOFT's greatness bring them?

I would actually love if NC Soft can put some of their "Greatness" into arenanets brain so they release some actual permanent content expansions for GW2 sometime in the next 10 years because that's one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the 1-80 experience.     

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Bigboo

Are you nuts? Seriously?

I must have missed something, is GW2 F2P? Last time I looked it costed 39,99 euro.

You missed the title of the thread and probably 99% of the rest of it.

Apparently my comment about most games these days having a F2P option threw you, or, (more then likely) you just scanned the post in 2 seconds and wrote a reply.

Besides GW2, NC Soft has not "produced' anything without a sub that did great assuming you're talking financially.  Aion could've been great, and it went down the gutter. Same with lineage II. Guild wars 1 was a great game in my opinion, but by no means did it do great financially either. 

I would actually love if NC Soft can put some of their "Greatness" into arenanets brain so they release some actual permanent content expansions for GW2 sometime in the next 10 years because that's one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the 1-80 experience.     

Lineage II had a sub, not sure about Aion I never played it.

Where the heck do you assume GW didnt make a buck? Did you attend their board meetings? I played that game YEARS after it was launched and it was PACKED with players, in fact, it was full steam right up to the launch of GW2. I think its safe to assume they made some money on it.

What we do KNOW, is that NC Soft hasnt declared chapter 13 yet, and they still produce games, so they must be doing something right, and its a safe bet that GW and GW2 both played a huge part in that.

However, I also believe that the marketing for this game is a bit presumptuous, and their payment plan will probably change in the 1st 6mo to a year.

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

For me personally, if a game is fun, I don't care what payment model it has. Given that I can effort the price that is. If a f2p game will cost me 50 euro a month to play competitively, I just can't effort to pay it. But 15 euro's month it's fine. Also I don't mind spending money in a cashshop or making a one time purchases, as long as the game will keep me occupied for the coming months.

That said, I was very psyched about Wildstar after the beta, but then I tried ESO and now I'm playing that. I'll probably eventually try Wildstar. When I do, given ot's still fun afterr my free month, I'll gladly pay the sub.

• sintenal84ksintenal84k Member Posts: 17
    The game inclues 30 days of free game play. 
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

I don't know at this point any f2p mmorpgs or even b2p  mmorpgs I would play as a noncasual. Wildstar at least seemingly offers serious endgame content and thats worth to spend ice cream money on, at least at this point. I wipe my ass with 15$, even if I would be flipping burgers.

PLUS YOU CAN BUY A SUB FOR INGAME CURRENCY. Its as good as b2p.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I say no.

With a plethora of great games going (successfully) to non-subscription marketing while still avoiding the pay-to-win nightmare, I dont see how NC Soft will pull this off for long before at least adding in a F2P option.

The only sub MMO thats stood the test of time successfully is WOW and, well... its WOW.

Not touching this one until they at least remove the sub, I dont mind paying the game price, but times are changing and subs are a thing of the past.

Dunno - is it worth nickel-and-diming cash shop p2w f2p?

Cuz,  that somehow doesn't make games more attractive to me than a sub.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Lineage II had a sub, not sure about Aion I never played it.

Where the heck do you assume GW didnt make a buck? Did you attend their board meetings? I played that game YEARS after it was launched and it was PACKED with players, in fact, it was full steam right up to the launch of GW2. I think its safe to assume they made some money on it.

What we do KNOW, is that NC Soft hasnt declared chapter 13 yet, and they still produce games, so they must be doing something right, and its a safe bet that GW and GW2 both played a huge part in that.

However, I also believe that the marketing for this game is a bit presumptuous, and their payment plan will probably change in the 1st 6mo to a year.

So you're attacking his anecdotal evidence with your own anecdotal evidence?

I love public forums. 

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67

Generally speaking: ALWAYS aim for subscription games. F2P always come with one (or, in rare cases, with all) of the following 3 things:

1.) users who pay for stuff in the cash shop (that EVERY F2P game has, btw) have a massive advantage and to even that out, F2P players need to either grind excessively or aren't able to catch up (common when there are cash shop-only items which give massive bonusses).

2.) F2P games are designed around the cash shop. Period. Everything F2P games do is to get you, either with subtle nods or brute force, to invest money into the ingame store. There are games which handle this better or where you can at least play around it, but most are designed that from a certain point onwards, you'll NEED to use the shop/need a certain item you can only get there (most promonent example: EXP decreasing in later stages of the game to the point you'll NEED that x20 exp potion from the shop to advance in a reasonable amount of time).

3.) more and more F2P games we see out there like LOTRO, SWTOR or Rift actually transitioned from sub-games, which makes implementation of the first two points I mentioned weird. Weird in the way that the tone and design originally intended for the game clashes horribly with the suddenly existent cash shop. This sets up the stage for a lot of problems.

TL;DR: You get what you pay for. This goes for most of the real world and (surprise!) even for MMORPGs. Of course, some games offer a damn lot for not charging money upfront, but the longer the game is F2P, the more content gets hidden behind paywalls. I guarantee it.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Strange how some of those FREE TO PLAY also have a sub..hmm

Haha ..so no Wildstar is not worth a sub for you OP. You like some only want f2p and I understand $15 a month is allot for some. Why not just trash talk all those paying for World Of Warcraft. We know the game is not hard yet MILLIONS still pay. Is it worth it?

Free to play better.. haha most that run this way pay more then $15 a month..yes yes you never do its always someone we dont know. We just play them and never spend a dime haha.

Like someone posted though the game has not even launched yet. Did you even play get past 20..do some dungeons  and what not? There is not a F2P like this one.

What we dont read

"If I cant' PAY to WIN then its not worth it"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    In wildstar you can sub, buy with cash or play free with in game credit. OP you didn't know this, or do you Just want a free lunch and sponge free play on a server by relying on other people funding the game for you?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    yes if like to play game
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You mean you like to play great games right?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

NO!

But don't say so here because you get labeled ESO lover and such...even with a good reason not to like Wildstar

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

I say no.

and that's the whole point, wildstar turns out to be WoW 2.0

they feature ALOT of stuff to do ingame, way more than gw2 had for example.

*housing

*pvp

*questing

*crafting

*challanges all around the world

*path gameplay

they have a neat class/skill system (not as unflexible as WoW atm for example)

what i wonder is how endmage, or eldargame will turn out. but they already have a few raids to start, and those look really good.

if you ask if it's worth a sub, try it 2 month, reach endgame, and then decide if you wanna keep playing or not i say

ps: if this thread is just about "p2p vs f2p". yes. p2p games ARE worth it. totaly.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yes... it is. It leads to a more balanced game. Those F2P games you tout are pretty ridden with cash shop grabs. 

None the less, you can always earn gold and buy a sub off the AH in this game (which can be considered iffy, but considering your mentality of other non sub games I figure its fine to you). For me I think a sub is the best way to keep things more fair. Rift for me attempting to play again felt so choked by the F2P model it made me cringe. Its not horrible, but its painful to see. SWTOR's own model isn't very great itself.

That said, i don't mind so much a model similiar to DDO, perhaps evolved to support an MMo like wildstar more. Having a game being freemium seems like a good solution to have free but also offer subs for those wanting it, at least given subs get all the advantages without having to pay for it. If a game can have a sub while being F2P WITHOUT cutting content out for the subs (minus maybe a few cosmetics, which monthly credits for each month your subbed is a decently fair idea for it) then i think I could stomach it. I just don't think it should be something resorted to immediately.

For now the fact you can buy the month sub with ingame currency I think does enough for those not wanting the monthly fee to play the game.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

This is the kind of thing each person has to answer for herself. For me, will have to see if they deliver monthy buckets of content as they promised, and not wait 1 year per major patch, ala WoW.

And either way, I don't plan to pay for Wildstar at all. God bless CREDD.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.