Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: The Music of Nexus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Taking a break from high-energy combat and deep lore, Gareth Harmer takes a closer look at the music soundtrack that will accompany our adventures in Nexus. 

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: The Music of Nexus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    I will admit that the music in this game is good for an MMO. But I cant say that it matters since that is usually the first thing that I turn the volume down on after a week or so of playing.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Might be some link goofing in the article because Bandits, Thieves, and Epic Loot is linked twice.  Was there a different song that was meant to be embedded #3?  

On topic:  Damn the music is good.   It does definitely have that "spacey" vibe to it as well as many songs having a sort of western theme to them too.   I'm really hoping that they release an OST or something.  You can't just have the music sitting by itself on SoundCloud without any download options....I can't play SoundCloud on my MP3!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    There's some music that is really good and makes me want to find a place to buy it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58
    The music is indeed awesome. The cello suite especially.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I NEED there to be good music. I find it essential to the emersion. I've been LOVING the music in W *. As an opposite example, and not trying to be cruel, the music in Planet Explorers is so bad (and even though I CAN turn it off) it ruins it for me, and I cannot play the game.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    In games I play with other people (ie: most MMO's), I usually have the sound way down so I can hear them on skype, so I only hear it when I'm solo'ing or no one's chit-chatting with me while they're out-of-game.  That said, the music I heard was good.  I was a little annoyed when I met the Emperor or whatever on the Dominion side and seriously, elevator music was playing.  It was the opposite of epic.
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    The cathedral music for dominion is epic
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The first one parts of it reminded me of Star Trek Deep Space 9 music . Excellent music.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    In games I play with other people (ie: most MMO's), I usually have the sound way down so I can hear them on skype, so I only hear it when I'm solo'ing or no one's chit-chatting with me while they're out-of-game.  That said, the music I heard was good.  I was a little annoyed when I met the Emperor or whatever on the Dominion side and seriously, elevator music was playing.  It was the opposite of epic.

Same- I rarely use the music since I am generally on TS or listening to an audiobook while playing.

However , the little I have heard in WS was freaking great (ESO as well  for that matter)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    First mmo Ive played where I've enjoyed the music. The sounds and music add greatly to the atmosphere. If I could get the game to run above 35 fps I may consider buying it sometime in the future.
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    First mmo Ive played where I've enjoyed the music. The sounds and music add greatly to the atmosphere. If I could get the game to run above 35 fps I may consider buying it sometime in the future.

Try the latest beta Nvidia drivers and the current open beta - many people are reporting significant performance improvements.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • PurpleCliffPurpleCliff Member UncommonPosts: 156

Yes, WildStar's score is particularly awesome, but I think some of you are forgetting that big MMOs generally have absolutely fantastic music? WoW obviously, Warhammer Online, Aion is amazing, SWTOR is pure J Williams, Guild Wars of course, ESO is beautiful, Blade & Soul, RuneScape, the list goes on and on...

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I liked the login screen music, whatever it is called, and the music in Ellevar (The other choice for dominion starting zones)
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by PurpleCliff

Yes, WildStar's score is particularly awesome, but I think some of you are forgetting that big MMOs generally have absolutely fantastic music? WoW obviously, Warhammer Online, Aion is amazing, SWTOR is pure J Williams, Guild Wars of course, ESO is beautiful, Blade & Soul, RuneScape, the list goes on and on...

I think they mean because it is fairly unique music for an MMO. Most others are just fantasy music done really well.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Most of the comments have been along the lines of:

STOP posting about wildstar!  "Haters going to hate" isn't an argument for why people dislike it, and it does absolutely nothing new for mmo's!!

so you guys keep doing more features on it...?

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Wildstar music is one of the best in a long time, You just have to go to fatalis field on farside, Turn on the volume and delight yourselves.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Cool article. I wouldn't have known about such a wonderful sountrack without it. Music seems too under appreciated especially with MMOs.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I don't want to get banned for expressing an opinion here or anything, but yeah the music is pretty good.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Cool article. I wouldn't have known about such a wonderful sountrack without it. Music seems too under appreciated especially with MMOs.

then you've played the wrong mmos dude :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• jomasd2jomasd2 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    pay 2 play ? FAWK OFF.
  • redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by jomasd2
    pay 2 play ? FAWK OFF.

Seriously? What game worth playing doesn't require money? Always some kid, who's allowance is less than $15 dollars a month, whining about a subscription fee. Good grief, if you cannot afford $15 a month you should be looking for a job not playing video games.

Great music BTW.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I really like Wildstar's music, yet I can't stand the log in screen music.  That first one up there.  Ugh, it's horrible.  Hopefully it will change through the years, like Lotro's and WoW and EQ2s has.  The rest is pretty good and some are astounding.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Music is awesome in this game. They really nailed it the same way WOW nailed it the first time you walked into iron forge or stormwind and heard the citys anthem/music play. There is something about wildstars music that really capitivates you while playing the same way World of Warcraft has always done.

Im not a huge music guy in games either, I actually turned off the music in ESO because it just felt more immersive to listen to all the backround noise's of rain thunder nature ect ect... Wildstar on the other hand much like wow is complemented by its score the same way a big budget motion picture is.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Krky7Krky7 Member UncommonPosts: 50

Yes, the music is fantastic here.

But the praise must also go out to this article. It's very well written and almost passionately poetic - a refreshing thing in gaming journalism where we usually either get bombarded with cold, uninteresting fact lists or a plethora of internet catchphrases without any real substance or relevant information. Plus, the article shows that the author is no stranger to the sweet science of music himself.

Great job, Gareth!    

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Well, WoW still charges $15 a month so I don't see why WoW 2.0 would use a different business model.

On topic, I never pay too much attention to music in MMOs.