Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3D

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I allways keep wondering why they keep producing these games with isometric perspectif...   While the game is fun, i just keep wondering how much more fun it could have been with standard 3d camera movement.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• No. Just... No.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I really think it would degrade the game.

I've never liked how AOE skills are aimed in MMO's when they're not target specific, if diablo went 3D tons and tons of it abilities would function like that and simply be terrible.

Not to mention that this is just in diablos roots, It's supposed to be isometric.

It also gives you a way better overview when doing a bossfight.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I allways keep wondering why they keep producing these games with isometric perspectif...   While the game is fun, i just keep wondering how much more fun it could have been with standard 3d camera movement.

It would look like SMITE?

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by DeniZg

That was my first thought too, Smite with the mob style of say Left4Dead... aka complete chaos. Aside the obvious gameplay advantages of the isometric view,  it is part of the old skool charm the serie is known for.

Can you even name a list of games that transfered from 2D / topdown view  to full 3D which ended up better?

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I play in 3d all the time and it is amazing.  =P  When you turn on 3d vision 2, turn up the convergence and depth to the right amounts it looks like little clay-mation figurines fighting in front of me.  When I kill stuff, legs and arms come flying out a bit of screen toward you (nothing super dramatic on this effect).  But it sure does satisfy the loss of the 3d environment that I know you are talking about.  As for the 3d you mean, It could work and I would be happy.  But then again, I am fine with the style it has now just maybe a little less on the oil painting look.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

That was my first thought too, Smite with the mob style of say Left4Dead... aka complete chaos. Aside the obvious gameplay advantages of the isometric view,  it is part of the old skool charm the serie is known for.

Can you even name a list of games that transfered from 2D / topdown view  to full 3D which ended up better?

Actually you can not transfer a game like Diablo to 3D... and thats the reason we have not seen any good transfers from 2D to 3D..

And thats not what i asked.... i asked why not all games are designed in 3D..  because even in a 3D environment, you can have exact the same gameplay that you have now... (inclusing targetting and movement) ...  it would only allow you to change camera position on top of that and do zoom ins and zoom outs..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

I liked Fallout 3 very much.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

errrrr. no.

it would not.

aaaanyway, diablo is about the fixed camera, you dont change that. :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it could be interesting to play those games from a different perspective. With that said, i would love to see ARPG devs freaking adding WASD movement as the default controls. Also adding gamepad support makes a lot of sense since they always end up porting it to consoles so the gamepad support is there.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Different styles come off different ways. Honestly I feel  3D is far too over-rated in many cases. Having games in different styles really is what makes things more fun and varied.
  • It just wouldn't be remotely the same game with an MMORPGesque camera system. You could make a hack and slash RPG with a different camera, but the design would need to be quite different.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    As for the "massive amount of mobs" argument:

Excuse me if I am wrong, but in which ARPGs do you fight armies of monsters(besides d3)? I know for a fact that you don't in Diablo 1/2, DS 1/2, TitanQuest, Sacred etc. And even if there is a group of mobs(say over 7 of them), they come from the front side anyhow. I can't see why the 3D wouldn't work here(besides the dev lazyness/lack of will to innovate).

And yes, the point n click is such a tired mechanic. It works for Strategies(because there is no other real choice), but RPGs should really strive to have other, more immersive mechanics(imo at least).

Torchlight 1 & 2

Path of Exile

Incredible Adv of Van Helsing

D3 *is* 3D, just not first or 3rd person 3D. Isometric 3D give you the ability to have better tactical awareness, and I like D3 type combat more than the typical 1st or 3rd person (except stealth).

Plus, who says mobs can come from the front side only? There are plenty of games where they come from all sides.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Sooo.... Divinty 2 .. Two Worlds 1+2, Kingdom of Amular Reckoning.. etc................. All ARPGS in 3d that function just fine and quite fun..
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scorchien
     Sooo.... Divinty 2 .. Two Worlds 1+2, Kingdom of Amular Reckoning.. etc................. All ARPGS in 3d that function just fine and quite fun..

Diablo 3, PoE, Marvel Heroes, Incredible Adv of Van Helsing .... all ARPGs in isometric that function just fine and quite fun.

The point is ... each view has its own merits.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    As for the "massive amount of mobs" argument:

Excuse me if I am wrong, but in which ARPGs do you fight armies of monsters(besides d3)? I know for a fact that you don't in Diablo 1/2, DS 1/2, TitanQuest, Sacred etc. And even if there is a group of mobs(say over 7 of them), they come from the front side anyhow. I can't see why the 3D wouldn't work here(besides the dev lazyness/lack of will to innovate).

And yes, the point n click is such a tired mechanic. It works for Strategies(because there is no other real choice), but RPGs should really strive to have other, more immersive mechanics(imo at least).

....there are large groups of mobs in D2.