Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview with Richard Garriott (YouTube)

ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWI3kpSXQUM

From the Mostly Harmless website:

"We were very excited (and a little nervous!) to interview the creator of Ultima, astronaut and entrepreneur Mr. Richard Garriott (aka Lord British) about his latest project: Shroud of the Avatar (SOTA). He was so well spoken and easy to talk to - and more importantly his ideas were so interesting about the evolution of MMO's and where they may have gone wrong - that we were all captivated by his 'spell'

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Comments

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Thornrage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWI3kpSXQUM

From the Mostly Harmless website:

"We were very excited (and a little nervous!) to interview the creator of Ultima, astronaut and entrepreneur Mr. Richard Garriott (aka Lord British) about his latest project: Shroud of the Avatar (SOTA). He was so well spoken and easy to talk to - and more importantly his ideas were so interesting about the evolution of MMO's and where they may have gone wrong - that we were all captivated by his 'spell'

If anyone watches the reality TV series 'Big Brother' Garriott reminds me in a way of Dan Gheesling and his ability to "myst" other house guests. 

Garriott possesses evocation magic for real.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

At about the 10:20 minute mark in the video I love how he talks about how games were changed to be made more casual and expand their demographic and how it went too far and how and what was useful and what went too far and made the games braindead, boring and meaningless.

No matter what anyone says about Garriott there is no doubt he gets it. Whether SoTA turns into a game that is widely popular or not I don't really doubt he has good ideas and plans for it to be a complete experience and for that reason alone I have already purchased all 5 episodes and expect to enjoy the complete experience, it should be a unique adventure and quite immersive.

Classic hardcore gaming ftw, cause chasing exclamation points is most assuredly more boring than figuring things out, immersion lives in the journey not the destination.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Braindome

At about the 10:20 minute mark in the video I love how he talks about how games were changed to be made more casual and expand their demographic and how it went too far and how and what was useful and what went too far and made the games braindead, boring and meaningless.

No matter what anyone says about Garriott there is no doubt he gets it. Whether SoTA turns into a game that is widely popular or not I don't really doubt he has good ideas and plans for it to be a complete experience and for that reason alone I have already purchased all 5 episodes and expect to enjoy the complete experience, it should be a unique adventure and quite immersive.

Classic hardcore gaming ftw, cause chasing exclamation points is most assuredly more boring than figuring things out, immersion lives in the journey not the destination.

I completely agree and I have also purchased all 5 episodes.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• MaribuMaribu Member Posts: 14
    Excellent interview.  i went ahead and pledged at the Citizen level. :)  I really feel that SotA will be another frontrunner in the gaming industry.  One of the beauties of the crowd funding thing is that the developers have the freedom to develop the game the way they want to and release it when they feel it's ready,  rather than being constrained by the pressures of a publisher.  That was, imo, Tabula Rasa's biggest problem.  I can't help but wonder how that game would have turned out with crowd funding.