Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com Missing Major Issues?

Comments

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Volgore

For a very  long time I notice that mmorpg.com is constantly "missing" issues with popular titles. There have been many similar things happening in other titles which this site never picked up. It is pretty much part of their one-sided, pro-industry agenda people lately started to rage about.

I agree. Too much hype here and not enough impartial views (call it criticism) from the authors.

For example, there are things that bother me with Wildstar, which I know of, but won't be mentioned in the articles (no alternative leveling zones from lvl 20 till cap, crappy deafult UI, boring starting zones, unimaginative AMP system etc.)

But forums have plenty of info if you're looking for it.

I wouldn't really call it news that the name reserve is having issues... now if the headstart is as rocky as ESO's, we'll be posting updates on that.  

Massively covered it, and it garnered quite a bit of discussion. 

Seems like news to me.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

MMO has rocky head start. In other news,

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Hehe, they should just tie one's name to their subscription... if they fail to sub, the name is released for public claim.  If names are that big of an issue, it's the one sure fire way to keep people subbed!  Blizzard would still have 10 million subscribers using this alone!
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Volgore

For a very  long time I notice that mmorpg.com is constantly "missing" issues with popular titles. There have been many similar things happening in other titles which this site never picked up. It is pretty much part of their one-sided, pro-industry agenda people lately started to rage about.

I agree. Too much hype here and not enough impartial views (call it criticism) from the authors.

For example, there are things that bother me with Wildstar, which I know of, but won't be mentioned in the articles (no alternative leveling zones from lvl 20 till cap, crappy deafult UI, boring starting zones, unimaginative AMP system etc.)

But forums have plenty of info if you're looking for it.

I wouldn't really call it news that the name reserve is having issues... now if the headstart is as rocky as ESO's, we'll be posting updates on that.  

I have a hard time believing that even you would  have ignored something like this if it happened to ESO if they provided this service. The ESO forum would have imploded with threads complaining about it. Even made up issues based entirely on false rumors created threads of 10 pages or more.

You stay sassy!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I kinda feel like this is a Fox News or NBC "not" news issue:

Joystiq Covered it:  http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/13/wildstars-name-registration-woes/

MMOCast Covered it:  http://www.mmocast.com/wildstar-reservation-issues/

Just kinda seems newsworthy.

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    It is not official until Angry Joe covers it.
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    I can see the headlines now, "Game irons out issues during open beta, and in other news we have confirmed reports that humans need oxygen to sustain life."
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Well I know at least one writer on this site thinks name reservations are a joke anyways. And that you should just not use unoriginal names. But he also doesn't like Wildstar at all.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Ikeda

So MMORPG is your choice in news.  You see the articles all the time.  I find it interesting that no where on this site has anyone noted the complete and utter clusterfunk the pre-order name grab is.

So, OP, name reservation thing is a "Major issue" now? Seriously?

It's a big issue for some people, considering it's the starting point for your server identity.

You make me like charity

• kamiyadorikamiyadori Member Posts: 14

Who really cares...Whats done is done. They know they screwed that away. Now just look towards the future. And if yo happened to loose faith in a company over once mistake, then that's on you.

V/R

Yadori

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

So MMORPG is your choice in news.  You see the articles all the time.  I find it interesting that no where on this site has anyone noted the complete and utter clusterfunk the pre-order name grab is.

Kinda how I felt when I started reading the OP.

I mean honestly the amount of 'upset' seems a bit disproportionate to the problem.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by asmkm22

It's a big issue for some people, considering it's the starting point for your server identity.

Gah someone reserved Legolas! Some people have all the luck.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Nadia

My only real gripe with their communication is that the FORUM should have been updated first, THEN Twitter, THEN Reddit.  Most people I know avoid Reddit and Twitter and, frankly, the community forums are THE PLACE for that discussion to happen.

i agree w you - that was a complaint prelaunch with Arenanet too

updates were being posted on twitter

Its not just these companies, I know SoE has used twitter before too.

I guess you could argue that MMO forums can go down when there are major issues and reddit is always available, but I agree the forums should be first and then reddit second.  No reason you cant do all three.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

You could go the hyperbole route if you want.

Really, though, it's generally just that people tend to use the same few names for their characters on all games.  They don't have to be particularly common for others to also try and use them, when total server selection is small, or you have megaserver stuff putting everyone in the same pot.

You make me like charity

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

XxLegolasXx

Each 'X' represents how bad ass you are!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Although I got to successfully reserve my name, I believe the proper and fair way to have done this is:

Having the Name reservation start the same second that pre orders were sold. That way the first people to buy the product would be the first people to reserve names and the whole cluster fuck could have been avoided.

This would have been fair and would have kept things from getting overloaded.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102

Nameplates disappearing mid battleground making it nigh impossible to discern between friendlies and foes.  Sync to group issues ala ESO that give you a coin toss up as to whether or not you'll land in the same phase as your group.  Performance issues where even the most powerhouse PC cannot get above 20-30 FPS.

But yes....let's make news about troubles with what my video game avatar's name may or may not turn out to be.  :D

Read a post in a different thread that pretty much sums up how I feel about the MMORPG.com forums.  It is a cesspool of negativity and game bashing.  This isn't an example of negativity at its worst, but it is very hard to find anything positive around here lately.  I have been a reader here for many years, and it seems to keep going downhill.  Maybe the negativity started with Warhammer Online, maybe it has always been the case.  I just can't seem to recall myself eye rolling and shaking my head at the crap I read on here as much as I have been as of late.

Sadly, I haven't found a site that I enjoy perusing for my MMO fix more than here.  I enjoy the columns, but I find myself completely ignoring most comment sections on articles as there is assuredly some jackass that is going to bitch and moan about something or other.  Not directed at you OP :D  Just in general the community around here is quite toxic.  The MMO internet community as a whole seems that way, and I cannot figure out why. 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I like your articles BIll and much of what your staff posts here, but, and I say this with the sincerest respect, I don't come here for news at all, ever. If I want to know what is happening in gaming this is the last place I check. I do come here to see what staff members, bloggers, and forum posters think of a news issue someone else already covered, but you guys don't cover news well at all.

This isnt a news site, thats why.

They will usually pass along a press release from a company if given to them but they arent a news site.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You can always submit news to MMORPG.com. If you give them a good tip you even get the forum title "tipster" awarded to you. I've done it myself and got the title. The link is somewhere in the news section.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I went with

SePHi40TH

I like to be unique.

Unique like a snowflake.

XxSePHi40THXx

Now you're a badass snowflake!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I think people are forgetting that it ALSO includes GUILD NAMES.  So while you might not care.. Transcendence, Dominion, Myth, or one of the other thousands of "known" guilds out there could LOSE their guild name (often with large guilds 250+ people) because of this kind of SNAFU.  Especially since their system isn't smart enough to recognize an EU guild request from a US guild name request.  It reserves them unilaterally across ALL SERVERS.

But again, it's over with.  

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Why are you so angry? Dude mellow out or your going to have some medical issues later in life. It is a name for a virtual character in a virtual game. not bloody walgreens forgetting to have your mothers super necessary meds ready for pick up.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by syriinx

I like your articles BIll and much of what your staff posts here, but, and I say this with the sincerest respect, I don't come here for news at all, ever. If I want to know what is happening in gaming this is the last place I check. I do come here to see what staff members, bloggers, and forum posters think of a news issue someone else already covered, but you guys don't cover news well at all.

This isnt a news site, thats why.

They will usually pass along a press release from a company if given to them but they arent a news site.

And you must always ask, is the "bad news" or negative information about a paid advertiser here?

If the answer is yes, don't expect to see it.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Haters need something to hate.

Half the reason there are massive server queues during an mmo early start is because a crap-ton of people have worked their schedules around the exact time the game goes live in order to grab their name savers.

They might not have to do that in Wildstar, but the principle carries over to reservations. What could possibly make you think this wouldn't be a big deal to some people (especially those hoping they'll still be playing this game years down the line where it'll be next to impossible to get anything but random letters)? There's a reason swtor started deleting the names of those accounts that have been inactive a long time.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

This is nothing more than drama for the sake of drama.  Everyone in their right mind KNEW that as soon as the website went live it would be hit with several 100k+ (to even millions) of requests all at once.  The thing lagged and crashed.  Many requests went through and many did not.    This is nothing short of being like a Black Friday sale at your local Walmart where 50+ yokels are fighting over the only 6 DVD players that they have on sale.    (it's similar in that say there's 300 people all at once tossing in the "Legolas" name trying to reserve it all at the same time....system starts elbowing all the request and while one person grabbed the prize, the other 299 got the elbow-to-the-face error)

So, basically it's drama because of the losers who didn't get what they wanted have to throw a fit and say "nobody should get something that I can't get" with crazy requests of re-dos and throwing the system away so that it's 1st-come-1st-serve at launch only.   This is ludicrous and selfish. 

I'm sorry, but life isn't fair, the world isn't equal, and not everyone can be named Bob.        However, no reason to blow it completely out of proportion and think that your individual (or minority group) strife is center-of-the-universe important that everyone should be reporting it; it's not.