Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if the combat were just ~faster~ in TSW?

13»

Comments

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I think the speed of TSW combat wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so repetitive.  If the combat is going to be basic, it has to be fast, like WoW or GW2.  If it's going to take 30 to 45 seconds to kill normal creatures, then it had better be much more exciting than 5 builders, 2 finishers, repeat.

Another problem, though, is that the mob density in the game is high enough, and the respawn times are quick enough, that it looks like they didn't realize just how slow combat would end up being.  It's fixable by either lowering the health for certain "standard" mobs and maybe giving them better variety for attacks, without having to do some kind of combat-overhaul.  It's just not fun having shit you just killed spawn nearby because you're still fighting the next mob.  One errant dodge and you just screwed yourself over.

Oh, can the gross exaggerations! This isn't old-school EQ: if it took 30 to 45 seconds to kill most mobs, you'd be dead before they were. "5 builders, 2 finishers, repeat" is not anything inherent in the game. If you choose to play that way, fine, but quit claiming that TSW is forcing it on you. Mix up your builders: they have different effects and can set different states. Your consumer attacks also have different effects (some of which will backfire with some mobs), so mix those up as well. And then there are the attacks that neither build nor consume but are a nice addition to the combat. If you really do have that much trouble, you are probably doing quite a few things wrong.

Nahhh what he describes sounds right. Unless you can get friends or guildmates to take you through some dungeons so you will be ahead of the gear/power curve the game can be pretty miserable on leveling. Once you outgear the encounters by a serious amount it gets better.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

I don't think it's just how about the lenght of the combat but the general feel and mechanics of it. The animations, the sound design and just feels somewhat clunky (Even looking at the videos). I still think it's abit better than standart combat, but would prefer if it was more like GW2 or maybe WS (haven't played, but looks good).

I still like the game, but would a revamped combat make me love it 10x more? Yes. Would it make me a more permanent player? No, but i'd really want to have it.

exactly the game would be in my top 2 if they could make the combat feel more natural 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

its not the speed of the combat that is wrong with TSW. This horse has already been beaten to pieces. Glued together then beaten again and again. The combat mechanics and animations are bad implemented. The lack of bones on the skeleton doesnt help at all either. Look at Age of Conan, every movement feels like a real person. Look at TSW, it feels like a truck ran over them a few times. ALso every weapon turns you into a WoW rogue with combo points, that doesnt help either.

Let that horse rest in peace because at this point in time they will not improve the animations.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by cheyane
    When I look at Age of Conan and its visceral combat I cannot believe same people made the game.

Same company, not all the same people.

It could be the over reliance on "builders" and "finishers" that makes the combat so clunky too, rather than just how long it takes to kill anything.  You can switch up your builders and finishers, but it does make the combat "same-y" feeling regardless of what you're using.  I was just trying to think of an easy way to make the combat a little less "in your face".

I'm honestly a little surprised that people keep coming back to this thread and posting stuff.  It makes me think that for any "average gamer", the combat in TSW is going to be a hard sell.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.