Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing on steroids

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

This video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMYGpavmGcE

Brings a smile to my face. So housing will be what we can picture in our minds. Want it, build it. As long as its in a theme fitting to the game. But even that is more freedom then any MMO housing to date. I hope they have a lot of depth in the housing like in Wildstar. Where they tie in crafting, dungeons and just above every other area of the game into your housing. What do you think????

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    While I'm hoping it will be better then most games, I'm doubting it will be what Wildstar is going for. More housing and less mini instance adventure. Landmark on the other hand hopefully turns into Wildstar's housing system on steroids, with almost total freedom to do whatever. For EQN, crafting and what not would be a given I think, but how much other stuff is the question. For Wildstar, I think their system is great, but not sure I would like to see the same elements in a more open world experience. Wildstar gimmicks and themepark elements aren't something I want invading EQN.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Allein
    While I'm hoping it will be better then most games, I'm doubting it will be what Wildstar is going for. More housing and less mini instance adventure. Landmark on the other hand hopefully turns into Wildstar's housing system on steroids, with almost total freedom to do whatever. For EQN, crafting and what not would be a given I think, but how much other stuff is the question. For Wildstar, I think their system is great, but not sure I would like to see the same elements in a more open world experience. Wildstar gimmicks and themepark elements aren't something I want invading EQN.

How is collecting seeds in the open world and planting them in your garden at your house to grow plants you can harvest them and craft a themepark gimmick? Killing a boss drops a trophy you can hang in your home? How is that themepark gimmicks? Do you even know about Wildstar housing? Their housing is by far one of that best housing systems I have seen that ties in the whole game to the housing system. Tell me where the themepark gimmick is!!!

I didn't say any of those were gimmicks and those to me fall more under crafting and general house design, which I'm assuming EQN will have.

Also understand that I think Wildstar's system is pretty damn good. For Wildstar. The housing features do wrap into the whole game and actually make having a house/plot and spending time developing worth while. Unlike other games where houses are simply fluff or large vanity items that serve little purpose beyond RP and maybe storing loot.

But many of the socket/plug features (to me) wouldn't fit into an Open World game. They are great for a personal/shared instance, but I would rather not run across someone's house in EQN and have an overload of things that make no real sense together.

This is what I'm talking about when I say "gimmick" or "themepark".

http://wildstar.gamepedia.com/Housing#tab=1x1_Housing_Plugs

http://wildstar.gamepedia.com/Housing#tab=1x2_Housing_Plugs

These all fit perfectly into Wildstar, but many of them or something similar in the EQverse, would be a bit much for me. Things that provide buffs and other benefits simply by being there, instances within an instance (Expeditions), Challenges and other automated events, etc. Not to mention the whole click a button and tada, things appear. I'm hoping EQN has a bit more "realism" to it when constructing things, at least having to gather resources and what not, instead of simply buying and placing things from the cash shop. And with that, no personal mines or other resource nodes, kind of defeats the purpose to me.

Beyond the technical reasons, if housing wasn't instanced in Wildstar, the game would have some areas that were just ridiculous with all the options available. Similar to Landmark. The level of freedom that both present are more suited for solo/group plots that do not impact the general game. 

When it comes to crafting stations, bringing loot back to decorate, and general building, I'm all for it. I would rather not see other player's claims be littered with random objects (Kiddie Pool, Out House, Ferris Wheel, Ice Pond, etc).

If there is some degree of freedom and players want to build ponds and fountains and all that, great, but I'd rather it be natural and take some time. Instead of instantly covering land with a bunch of clutter. With a cash shop and being F2P, I'm sure we'll see a lot of instant build stuff though.

Personally, I'd rather see villages/cities pop up on building zones and have a more "realistic" approach to housing. I might have a house/shop/garden, but not a helicopter pad all to myself. Having a huge build in itself should be more about group/social building and being part of the community. While Wildstar does do a good job with the social aspect, I'm hoping EQN takes it much further instead of having everyone off on their own little world.

Having played EQ and WoW both for many years, I could easily see 100% of Wildstar housing fit into WoW, but little in EQ. Looking at Landmark, you can see the level of time/effort people are putting into building things that look great and actually could fit into an open world mmo. I'm guessing we'll see some of what Wildstar is doing in EQN, but for me, I'm just hoping it isn't taken to such an extreme.

Maybe this is where I see the "themepark" aspects. A lot of "easymode" elements like being able to have your own resource nodes, buffs, teleports, PVE challenges, etc. To me, those don't fit in with what I've seen so far of EQN and a game trying to be a bit more "sandbox" like. They've said they want players to stop "playing the UI" where in Wildstar that is a big part of it, like many other similar themepark games.

Guess for me, if I'm running around the world and come across someone's build, I'd like to not notice it being a player's. I'd rather it fit into the world. While Wildstar's housing visually fits, the total randomness doesn't, even with how over the top the actual game is. If I run through a player made village, I'd like it to feel just like a dev made one. Not a ferris wheel next to a pvp boxing ring next to a pool next to a medic station next to a statue of myself next to a iron mine....

I'm a fan of all the interactive and "living" features in Wildstar, just as long as they fit the EQN world naturally. Maybe I just see all the Scifi and pretty graphics, but for me, Wildstar's system is a bit immersion breaking. The housing feels like what it is, a personal instance that is disconnected from the world and other players, even with all the tie in. It doesn't really add to the overall game, it is a personal distraction/time sink. I'm hoping in EQN, housing plays a part in the world. From shops, farms, crafting stations, trade areas, meeting halls, etc.

Edit: I'll also add that while I respect what Carbine is doing and think Wildstar has a lot of great elements (Limited skill bar, unique take on CC, action combat that keeps players on their toes) the similarities to WoW and themeparks in general just kill it for me. If EQN wasn't on the horizon, I'd probably give WS a whirl or even ESO, but I just can't justify the investment of my time/money in either. Especially after leaving GW2 which cost less then both and provided a decent PVP experience.

I'm an EQN fanboi and will sing it's praises until more is revealed and my dreams are dashed. It appears you enjoy WS, so just know I'm not bagging on it, just not the game for me. My years with WoW and other similar games were more then enough =)

I totally disagree, the housing plugs are pure genius and I would like to keep them in the theme of EQN but being able to plug into your house a garden to grow plats for crafting is again genius. Its the plugs that tie housing into every area of the game and makes it more then a fluffy things to say, thats my house. This is a fantasy game and I think the housing should reflect that in every odd, wacky and magical way. If you unlock Wizard, have a portal station for your home, maybe a mini spire friends can use. If your a raider there should be plugs that reflect that in your house. If I walk by a gamers house thats a Shadowknight who loves crafting, I should be able to tell that by his house. This reflects the real world, you walk into someones house you know who they are. This beings an organic feel to things. As for instanced or real word housing, thats SoE call but plugs can be used in either. Its far from a gimmick, it adds a depth no housing system to date has had.  

EDIT: If they could do this without plugs... I would be just as happy.

While I think the interactive plugs work great in Wildstar and would like to see similar things in EQN, I just hope it is toned down and fits into the lore and have some meaning. Just because they can add a ferris wheel for example, doesn't mean they should. It is fun and looks good, but the last thing I want to see is a row of homes with a ferris wheel in everyone's backyard. Not very organic or immersive for me. Things like the giant keyboard so players can reenact the scene from Big can work in a game like WS, but not so much in what EQN is looking to be (from my POV).

EQ/EQ2 have a different feel then what Wildstar/WoW go for. While I do not think EQ is mature or realistic like some argue, the lore and what not does have a different tone to it. The level of humor and wackyness doesn't really fit in a EQ game from my experience. From what the devs have said, I also get the sense that despite turning off a lot of people with the initial showing of the Kerran/Humans and the "disney/pixar" like vibe, I think the game will have a bit more darkness to it. The lore so far has been a bit more on the serious side and I see the game having themes a bit less happy go lucky than Wildstar is going for.

Like I said, I have no issue with people building things that fit their style and showing off who they are and plugs like a garden would be great, but "...a ferris wheel next to a pvp boxing ring next to a pool next to a medic station next to a statue of myself next to a iron mine...." is my concern. Sure they can show off who I am, but to me it is just a bunch of fluff that has no real meaning or purpose beyond looking cool.

Many of the plugs just ooze what I think many have come to dislike and associate with themeparks and games filled with stuff just to fill them with stuff (easy access to everything like transport, buffs, resources, crafting, pointless mini-games, random objects without any context or point, etc.).

I think Wildstar has a lot going for it's housing but what is possible between an instance and open world are completely different. Wildstar's housing is basically a mini-game in itself that can keep someone occupied for a long time off on their own world, where I hope in EQN, players are encouraged to not only explore the world itself, but to interact and be part of the larger adventure. Not just their own solo one.

Like in the video, they talk about players from Landmark "winning/earning" a place in dev created builds. This seems very organic. Running through Freeeport and coming across Allein's Pub would be awesome (to me at least), but it would fit right in and make sense. Unlike Wildstar's system that allows players to just toss everything possible into a space without any order what so ever. Regardless if it is in the middle of a city or 100 miles off the beating path in playerville, I think things should still make some sense. 

With all this said, I hope they do make housing a bit more exciting then what has been done in EQ/EQ2/SWG. All 3 had varied levels of fun to them, but I think Wildstar's system is much more enjoyable and meaningful to the individual. I don't want to see empty player ghost towns everywhere. Hopefully as Landmark and EQN progress in development, being able to add in NPC/AI elements as well as interactive things will make player builds have more life to them and not just static houses that lose their appeal unless you want to play an interior decorator sim.

SOE seems to be trying to go down the sandbox/dynamic world approach, hopefully they can pull it off allowing for players to be creative and themselves, while still maintaining a sense of order and purpose to it all. I'm also hoping EQN has a sense of danger to it and while I'd love a lot more PVP or just player conflict elements, I'm also hoping a band of Orcs can roll through my village and start burning down shops and homes. Maybe not totally, but in a away that feels organic and like what I've added to the game is actually having impact and the game is interacting back with me.

The emergent AI elements have me very hopeful. If my guild burns down a Gnoll camp and sets up our own, it would be crazy if a week later they came back with reinforcements and attacked us. To me that many times more entertaining then having my own little claim with my pretty little house on it that just sits there with me clicking on UI elements to make things move and talk to me.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm 100% with Allein on this one.

Imagine Gandalf traveling through a midle-earth city just to see some elf in bermuda short eating an ice-cream and a Ferris Wheel at the distance.

It maybe funny (and will fit in WoW & Wildstar) but it also totaly breaks the immersion.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

The result will be tepid. They have opted for a theme park choice which is bad. They could have kept the stylistic conventions (how they will police this anyway I don't know) and allowed some open world plots.

A major dream for this game is dead, it's starting to look like every other restrictive turd MMORPG. I predict GW2 with EQ universe.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Originally posted by Archlyte

The result will be tepid. They have opted for a theme park choice which is bad. They could have kept the stylistic conventions (how they will police this anyway I don't know) and allowed some open world plots.

A major dream for this game is dead, it's starting to look like every other restrictive turd MMORPG. I predict GW2 with EQ universe.

How are they going the themepark route? I thought they said it will be "open world" claims, just not everywhere in the world as it isn't a total sandpark and it would screw up the world if I could build a crappy looking house outside the gates of Freeport.

Originally posted by Allein

How are they going the themepark route? I thought they said it will be "open world" claims, just not everywhere in the world as it isn't a total sandpark and it would screw up the world if I could build a crappy looking house outside the gates of Freeport.

EQN is a Sandpark, themepark hybrid. Has stuff taken from both. IMO this will be the model to clone on future MMOs lol. 

Didn't even realize I typed Sandpark instead of Sandbox, guess I'm ready for the next genre to take over. I hope EQN and Blizzard's next mmo turn the genre on it's head. Assuming Blizzard is smart enough to try something new as well.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

He seems to like that phrase, "directed experience."

I don't so much like it as much as some people do I guess.  My personal hype -1.

They've said that since the reveal. Shouldn't be a surprise as Rally Calls and other elements they are going with depend on players interacting with what devs have created. 
  • TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85

Just wait till the MALE GENITALS invade in EQN/Landmark.

Not even COD (playercard/emblem editor) survived the creativity a human's mind possess.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

I don't so much like it as much as some people do I guess.  My personal hype -1.

Yep. Directed Experience is code for 'We will be doing most things the same way as other games.' 

With landmark as a ready excuse for restricting anything (We gave you Landmark for: Building, Cool Movement, Story Building, Etc.) EQNext will probably be increasingly revealed as less cool than the game initially seemed like it would be.

Some of that is just reality, but some of it is also hype chaos as directed via suggestion by Smed and Crew. My guess is that the game will have 3 main gimmicks and the rest of it will fall squarely within the brackets of cut n paste Themepark design for the MOBA/Console demo.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMYGpavmGcE

Brings a smile to my face. So housing will be what we can picture in our minds. Want it, build it. As long as its in a theme fitting to the game. But even that is more freedom then any MMO housing to date. 

EQ2.  Its not open world, but with the tools they have given you you can build almost anything.  And if you build anything that doesnt fit in game or a 30 story penis no one has to see it unless they specifically want to visit Megaphallus Estate.

If they could make EQ2 housing in open world that would be truly special

Originally posted by TheAsianVillain

Just wait till the MALE GENITALS invade in EQN/Landmark.

Not even COD (playercard/emblem editor) survived the creativity a human's mind possess.

You do realize Landmark has been out for several months right? The novelty wore off fairly quick from what I've seen.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Yep. Directed Experience is code for 'We will be doing most things the same way as other games.' 

With landmark as a ready excuse for restricting anything (We gave you Landmark for: Building, Cool Movement, Story Building, Etc.) EQNext will probably be increasingly revealed as less cool than the game initially seemed like it would be.

Some of that is just reality, but some of it is also hype chaos as directed via suggestion by Smed and Crew. My guess is that the game will have 3 main gimmicks and the rest of it will fall squarely within the brackets of cut n paste Themepark design for the MOBA/Console demo.

If those 3 gimmicks are Voxels (dynamic/procedurally generated world), Storybricks (emergent AI), and Multiclassing (freedom) I'm all for it.

Anyone of those alone would make a better game that what is currently being offered to me.

We will have to see if they can back up the hype, but if these gimmicks fall flat, they won't have much reason to continue as they are basing the game off of them.

Following ESO/Wildstar/CU/PFO, etc, I've yet to hear any devs make as bold as claims as SOE devs. Either they really have something or they are hoping people don't notice that they don't. Seems very hard to believe the 2nd if they plan to do the same transparent approach with EQN that they are doing with Landmark and H1Z1 and the general tone of SOE currently. One thing to see very little of a game and another to have an inside look at everything. Time will tell.

Themepark + MOBA + Console + Building + random buzz term crowd > those that don't fall under that umbrella. If people limit themselves to some .0001% subset of gamers, that's on them. I'm a gamer first and whatever tag second. If a game is good, I could care less who it is trying to appeal to.