Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or ESO - help me choose!

2»

Comments

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by greatskys
    GW2 does a lot of what TESO does without a monthly fee . TESO should have been buy to play but even if it was I think still would recommend GW2 . 

But ESO does it better imo, plus there is no $$ to gold conversion system or in game cash shop.

GW2 is the best of these two without a doubt. ESO is to new, to many bugs still and huge bot problem but I am not saying it's a bad game I just think ESO needs a few more months to improve.

Plus side for GW2 is that they have been around for a long while now and still have a huge playerbase so this game is not going anywere bad soon. ESO you never know maybe the majority will be bored of the game in 3 months and it will go free to play and get a very bad cashshop, who knows. Me personally don't think so but alot of people do.

Safe card is to bet on GW2 plus it costs nothing today, (200-300SEK) and ESO costs (599) imperial edition plus subscription.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

ESO makes me hate it when other players are around.

Guild Wars 2 makes me enjoy it when other players around.

This is an MMO, so based on that the choice is obvious.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would go with Guild Wars 2...you get the essentially the same feature set for no monthly fee. The story is NOT as fleshed out as ESO's, however. 

I would actually recommend coming back to ESO a few months down the line when the bugs are fixed and PvP is fleshed out. GW2 is on-sale at the moment and it's a great value.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Vorch

I would go with Guild Wars 2...you get the essentially the same feature set for no monthly fee. The story is NOT as fleshed out as ESO's, however. 

I would actually recommend coming back to ESO a few months down the line when the bugs are fixed and PvP is fleshed out. GW2 is on-sale at the moment and it's a great value.

Well, the story is one of the drawbacks with having DEs instead of quests but GW2 do have a lot of small stoy parts that is rather interesting if you look for them, check out the books under Durmond priory for one thing. There are also several hidden alphabets in the game but in GW2 you have to find the story, it doesn't come to you in the same sense as in ESO except with the personal and living story.

Which of these ways that is best to tell a story is really up to the players, I must say that I myself are pretty bored with long questschains (but that might be because I been playing MMOs since '96 and I kinda liked that a lot of the early games had quests but not so many as modern MMOs al'a ESO have).

But it really depends on what type of player you are.

And I agree, OP should wait a while with ESO, hopefully will they improve it a lot for the console release in december and those improvements will show up in the PC version as well.The game have it's points but they should have left it in beta a few more months. 

One note on GW2 is that running it on full setting takes a really good GPU, people with old laptops tend to say that it turns into a slideshow when the larger world bosses shows up. My 780 GTX runs it perfectly and smoothly though even with 100+ players on screen but if you have an old and crappy computer you should lower the settings. I can still play it on my 4 year old Vaio but I run it at "medium" there.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Play both ... 2 of the best games made since WoW both are very good ...GW2 is great  as a solo player you can hop into anything and everyone helps you along . ESO is a great game for a pair to play together everything is great for two folks that want to level characters and explore the world together

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I play both....they are GREAT MMORPGS!

GW2 is a MUST,pay once and play forever...with constant updates and the Living Story Season 2 coming very soon...

and I´m loving ESO even though it still needs some serious polish still....

I would suggest to buy GW2 (due to the best value for your money) it will get you entretained for a long time,

and keep an eye on ESO for when they polish it a bit more.

BUT If you have time to play both & money...just grab them both !!!

Best MMORPGS out in the market (for my taste ofc).

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Blupp

Hi guys!

First I wanna say I am posting this thread on bothe GW2 forum and ESO forum (hope the moderaters dont get mad :P)

As the title says: GW2 or ESO? Yes, how the h** should u know? But please gimme some pros and cons of each games (u guys who played both - or just gimme your opinion).

History: I have played almost every mmorpg there is. My favorites been Lineage 2 and Anarchy Online (yeah been in the business quite some time hehe).

I have also played GW2 before at the launch but my L2-addicition made my impression not so fair I guess.

Even though I dont PvP very much I want it to be possible and I want it to be very rewarding (like Lineage 2). What game makes that best?

Sooooo basicly, gimme your honest opinion and I will be gratefull, thanx folks!

You might as well go play ArcheAge,  GW2 and TESO don't even compare to AA. And I'm not even a fan of any of the 3 titles.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Like someone said, best thing to do is read their forums and that will give you an idea of which game to play.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hi, we do ask that you not post the same thing in multiple forums. I've moved your thread here to our LFG forum, which is a little bit more suited to this kind of question, and it can be seen by players of both games. I've locked the other one.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

GW2 is B2P and is a greater value for your money and IMO is superior in PvE and PvP.

Also it is on $ale thru tomorrow @ 50% off.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I can't bring myself to enjoy GW2. I try so hard. It feels so lonely and lifeless. As someone else pointed out - People zerg the bosses and main events when they pop, then everyone just scatters off to do their own thing.

Oh and good luck doing a dungeon, you'll be kicked out if you're not heavily geared and such.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I like them both but prefer GW2 over ESO. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

If you go by the player ratings on this very website the choice is clear as represented by two undeniable facts. 

1.   GW2 has been one of the top three rated games since its release.

2.   ESO has dropped fast since its release and isn't even in the top 15 anymore.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

GW2 is a very well done game but has zero endgame outside of PvP.  Even then PvP is much better in other games.

ESO is just a very mediocre game and not worth a glance.  It does nothing new for the genre and what ever it does do can be done much better in any other Themepark model.

With that being said I pick ArcheAge.  Truly remarkable and most enjoyable game I've played in years.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

Guild Wars 2.

Awesome gameplay, good visuals, jumping puzzles, no subs, can last you for months+ if you really like the game. ESO needs work and lots of it atm, money and time wise, GW2 is worth it :D Just have to realize GW2 endgame is all about skins.

/stillcheckuponskinsfromtimetotime

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by helthros

I can't bring myself to enjoy GW2. I try so hard. It feels so lonely and lifeless. As someone else pointed out - People zerg the bosses and main events when they pop, then everyone just scatters off to do their own thing.

Oh and good luck doing a dungeon, you'll be kicked out if you're not heavily geared and such.

Luckily getting geared takes all of about 30 seconds after reaching level cap.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!