Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three reasons to play Wildstar

GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Why is Wildstar better than any other themepark game out there?

1) Character customization and flexibility.

Every class is multirole as in dps/heal or dps/tank and can be played as a hybrid aswell. In addition to every skill having multiple tiers (allows you to improve the skills you enjoy the most), the AMP system provides you more in-depth customization in terms of stats/secondary stats and some "unlockable only through AMP" skills. This system is a lot deeper than WoW, Rift, Swtor, Tera, Lotro or even The Secret World.

2) No "DPS only" class

The queues will function a lot better due to the class system having 3 healers and 3 tanks that can also be played as DPS. The players whining about long queues can only blame themselves because they have every possibility in changing to more demanded roles.

3) Skill-based combat system

Being able to see where the opponent is going to hit and being able to avoid them is very crucial in a skill-based combat. You are able to perform skillful plays depending on the environment/mindgames/jukes and the reactive CC system (in which you have to stay focused to get out of stuns sooner) provides a real potential for skilled gamers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything else in the game is been there done that. One could argue that the 20v20 warplot system is somewhat unique but basically it's ranked battlegrounds with some extra features. However the 3 reasons mentioned make Wildstar something that is definately worth checking out.

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Every class is multirole as in dps/heal or dps/tank and can be played as a hybrid aswell. In addition to every skill having multiple tiers (allows you to improve the skills you enjoy the most), the AMP system provides you more in-depth customization in terms of stats/secondary stats and some "unlockable only through AMP" skills. This system is a lot deeper than WoW, Rift, Swtor, Tera, Lotro or even The Secret World.

2) No "DPS only" class

The queues will function a lot better due to the class system having 3 healers and 3 tanks that can also be played as DPS. The players whining about long queues can only blame themselves because they have every possibility in changing to more demanded roles.

Being able to see where the opponent is going to hit and being able to avoid them is very crucial in a skill-based combat. You are able to perform skillful plays depending on the environment/mindgames/jukes and the reactive CC system (in which you have to stay focused to get out of stuns sooner) provides a real potential for skilled gamers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything else in the game is been there done that. One could argue that the 20v20 warplot system is somewhat unique but basically it's ranked battlegrounds with some extra features. However the 3 reasons mentioned make Wildstar something that is definately worth checking out.

you didnt really do your homework hey... warplots are designed by players, to be used in the warplot arenas and are destructable... hardly standard battlegrounds... it's a new spin on BG's maybe, but it's deeper then you make it sound, how it will turn out probably broken as shit.. but only time will tell

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Robokapp

so if you see where your opponent is going to hit, I assume he also sees where you are going to hit.

so how will you hit him?

Oh god... did you really just ask that?

..Cake..

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    You forgot reason number 4:  The devs claim it is the greatest mmo in all the universe!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by sgel

so if you see where your opponent is going to hit, I assume he also sees where you are going to hit.

so how will you hit him?

my spider sense tell me that just by answering your question in an honest manner I can get in trouble but...here goes:

Yes, I just asked that.

So you honestly think that just because someone can see your telegraphs you can't hit them?

Do you think noone dies in PvP ever? :D

..Cake..

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Is that seriously all the reasons you could think of?

So this game is like ESO but not quite as good?

You fanboys have gotta get better at giving this company free publicity.

Like, come on, where's Wildstar's version of this? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgfp87eUprc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8luBc0X3vIg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foP3CnK2MI8

Oh wait here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0J0d7YYrY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284gxrE8fo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlmBD-TTAws

Not quite 20+ reasons but close enough.

But seriously if that's all you're interested in idk why you're not playing any of the other games that offer these things.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    There is no reason to play WildStar, but there are 2 reasons to try it. Its a game and its open beta. Any1 can try it (if he wants) and if he finds that he likes the game then its up to him to buy it. I tried it, i liked it and i m going to buy it. Others take the opposite route. So simple :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201
    Was in the beta before this, but unfortunately it was so much lag that made it impossible to play. So I skipped this beta not because I dont want to test it, but Im occupied with that other game that have these features that you mentioned.

----

----

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I've seen new mmos have threads about how great a game is or how bad a game is but I've never seen so many people begging others to try a new mmo. Even the devs are doing it...what gives ?
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I've seen new mmos have threads about how great a game is or how bad a game is but I've never seen so many people begging others to try a new mmo. Even the devs are doing it...what gives ?

Begging? Really? I haven't seen anyone begging nor have I read any pleas to try W*. Just excited fans (just like ALL other new releases) that want to promote or explain their new fav game. If there has been a post that says "I beg you to play Wildstar", please share.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I had a quick play of the beta, and saw what I hoped for - a game that felt like wow but freshened up. looking forward to the release :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

how to put this without being banned...you realise you made a PvE argument to support pvp?

so how will you hit him?

That is why he said the PvP is more skill based. Give it a go, you'll see how it works. 

The thing that makes me laugh about this is that the PVP crowd ask for a more indepth and tactical PvP system, they get it, they still moan about it. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Anyone reading this thread and still on the fence, go try the beta. This is a fun game.

It will not please everyone, but it will please the "need something different yet as fun as wow" crowd. Plus, sci-fi.

I am still surprised there are so many against it. After all of the crap we have had to deal with over the last few years, this game is a nice change of pace.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Three reason to not play WS:

1. its kiddie environment

t

2. Too many ground targets, green red etc etc

3. Not skill based imo

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It's a bit sad to read that your reasons are all about combat...

Yep, character building seems nice, it's deeper than TOR or LotRO (with the HD trait tree change), but not deeper than Rift's soul system, and especially not deeper than TSW's Wheel.

Anyhow, my 3 reasons to play Wildstar (and I'm pretty sure I'm the minority with the "who gives a f**k about combat" attitude :) )

- housing

- path system looks cool and has potential

- writing (references, tongue-in-cheek humour)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

2) No "DPS only" class

1. Character customization on a (opinionated) cartoony game for someone who isn't into that sort of graphical style isn't much customization at all.
    2. The increase of queues for dungeons isn't due to the fact of a lack of Healers or Tanks.  Plenty of games in the past have offered problem free hybrization to try and fix this.  The issue is that most people do not like to play roles other then DPS.  I know I'll never play anything other then a DPS.  Given a choice to sit in queue for an hour as a DPS or respect into a Tank on my Stalker and get 2 minute queues is not a choice.  I'll always pick sitting in a long queue.  The trinity is a silly artificial road block that I have no answer to, it still begs the questions.  Tanks and Healers by and large are not fun to play.
    3. There really is no skill.  The game is still pretty much tab target game with a short sprint an active dodge.  In fact I consider it less skillful then GW2 since you actually see the telegraphs instead of have to watch for tells or animations.

All told, I plan on playing, not because I enjoy the game but because I have a core group of friends who are heavily invested in the game and I promised I'd come play with them for a little while.  I still have ArcheAge to fall back on when their not online and my hopes is they finally see the errors and faults of the Themepark model.  If it wasn't for those guys, no way I'd ever buy Wildstar.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Begging? Really? I haven't seen anyone begging nor have I read any pleas to try W*. Just excited fans (just like ALL other new releases) that want to promote or explain their new fav game. If there has been a post that says "I beg you to play Wildstar", please share.

I have to agree: I haven't seen any begging.

I HAVE seen people basically ordering others to play and insult them if they don't.... but no begging.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The fact that they're bragging about having a years worth of content ready to go scares me.

Releasing a 50% complete game for box and sub requiring you sub a year to get the other 50%. So this game basically costs $200 to get the complete game? Yah, I'll pass.
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    The fact that they're bragging about having a years worth of content ready to go scares me.

Releasing a 50% complete game for box and sub requiring you sub a year to get the other 50%. So this game basically costs $200 to get the complete game? Yah, I'll pass.

Did you even bother to look at the amount of content that's getting released with the game? Do you remember many games that had this much content / features on release?

..Cake..

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by sgel

so how will you hit him?

My thread got locked, but yeah seriously, you mean both sides can dodge and skillshot? making for a more complex pvp experience?  SHINANIGANS!

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Ludwik

short sited and narrow opinion that poorly utilizes math, Shit I'm going to make a new Forum name it shall be Shenanigans!

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I always figured I was a person that can handle 25 or 40 man raids and I recall how it was in WoW. It was super when we pulled it off but the organization that goes into it is exhausting. However I think Wildstar is the game that will definitely appeal to guilds that can do organized,strategic and fully voice programed raids.

I am not terribly sure I am up for it any more. I was not very good then even when I was in the heal main tank role. I did okay but I think I am not that great a player in that situation. I do very well in small groups as a healer but in large groups and especially looking at how everyone is moving about in Wldstar to avoid telegraphs and stuff I'm gonna mess up real bad . That is not going to be fun for me to be scolded and yelled at and I do not blame the raid leader for doing it. 

So with a heavy heart I think a game where I can do small group content which is why I love SWTOR and may be Archage where I can slowly craft and build and occasionally run a trade pack is more my style. Even 10 man raids in WoW worked for me.I can shine in those situations I just am not good in large raids. God I sucked at Onyxia I remember they kept yelling at me to move here and there and I was so confused I got killed a lot. I also found myself avoiding the difficult raids in FFXIV as I cannot move that well and hate being the reason people failed and I gave up the game. Pity I liked FFXIV but got so worried about the gear I needed from those big raid I gave up before I even tried after listening to people in my guild talking about the stupid healer who could not do this or that or get behind the frikking stone. I was deathly afraid they would end up carrying me and talking about me in those tones.

This game will do very well for the people who love this type of 40 man raids which is actually extremely time consuming and requires so much effort on those running it I am sure it is worse than a full time job but the skill and organization is rewarded with satisfaction as well as great lewts.

Chamber of Chains
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

I have to agree: I haven't seen any begging.

I HAVE seen people basically ordering others to play and insult them if they don't.... but no begging.

Arrogance is one thing... for example, I could consider your post an arrogant attempt to subvert my comment. THAT I've seen... and seen plenty. Begging, on the other hand... Nope.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by DMKano

Players interest is piqued by videos first and foremost these days not lists.

Really? I find watching videos to be less than worthless when trying to judge whether or not I'll like a game. A lot of things look a lot funner than they are to play, and a lot of things look simple and uninteresting when they're anything but if you're behind the keyboard.

• SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88

Trying not to be an ass, three reasons not to play Wildstar:

1. 40 man raids

Sure, these can be fun for some people. The problem is they plan to make a good chunk of content only for 1% of their userbase. We've seen what happened with WoW, this is a horrible business plan. 1% of their userbase does not make up for the development spent on the game.

You might say "But there will be other content for casual players, the majority, too." This is true, but this content will also be in jeopardy because of these big raids. When they start to lose subs because they've focused on 1%, they are going to let staff go because of lack of income. Less staff, less content. Pissing on the majority base. Hopefully the raiders can by a lot of CREDD to keep their game afloat or HEEELLLLOOOO F2P.

2. Telegraph combat

For PVE, this isn't a huge issue. It works for other games, it will work for this game. PVP? Hell no. PVP is just a spam fest of telegraphs in BGs and Warplots. Zerg city. 

Most arguments against this is "What game isn't zergfest 2014?". You are right, but the problem still exists. Just because other games have the problem too does not mean that this is allowed. If everyone did some illegal, does it make it ok?

3. Optimization

This is something that may be fixed before launch, with the "all elusive" miracle patch that every game speaks of in open beta, but highly doubtful. It may be fixed after launch, but no one should pay for a game with "promises". Things need to be delivered up front.

As it stands, many users are having performance issues which are in turn making other potential customers not try the game. This is a bad move overall and will not lead the game to the promise land.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I agree on the raids. 40-man raid size is old fashioned and doesn't really serve a purpose nowdays. 8/10/16/20/24 have been proven to be more than enough.

In regards to telegraph in PvP I have to say that you're wrong. The PvP modes in wildstar are 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, 10v10, 40v40. The word "ZERGFEST" is tied to larger scale combat and the only case where such "zergfest" could appear is the 40vs40 (warplots). But the way the warplot system is designed is that you have smaller taskforces capturing points to get resources to progress in the battle and only the "final encounter" of a warplot fight consists of "ZERGFEST". This said considering that both sides will have exactly same number of players in every PVP scenario the overpowering with players will not be happening in WS, there's no actual open world pvp other than ganking.

Performance is a large issue and won't probably be fixed before launch. Hopefully we'll see optimizations soon after the launch though.