Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ganked !!!!

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by evilized
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by Thodra
    I do not understand why people enjoy something like that... But glad you are happy....I think

You don't understand it or you don't share it? It's very easy to understand: The risk adds excitement and adds more of a sense of accomplishment to the success you do have. 

it comes down to whether you would rather do something challenging and succeed or do something trivial and succeed. I enjoy challenge so I like games with open world pvp and even full loot pvp. Some people can't handle stress as well as others and pvp is stressful to a degree so I would imagine these are the people that don't enjoy the "thrill" of constant threat / awareness. My life kind of mirrors my preference, I work a high stress high pressure job, I ride a sport bike and I grew up playing demanding sports like ice hockey and competitive snowboarding.

I can't blame someone for not enjoying something but I expect those on the opposite end of the spectrum from me to be able to accept and understand that the world doesn't revolve around their needs. There are quite a few pve - only games currently out on the market, AA is somewhat different and it would be nice if it could stay that way. I am not playing AA right now but I would like the option to be able to pick up and play a somewhat open sandbox with somewhat open pvp in the future. Right now a game like that doesn't really exist beside say DFUW which is, sadly, very poorly run.

DFUW being poorly run is kind of the trope that gets thrown around, but it's actually a great game, it's just very niche. You have to like pvp, skill-based combat, full loot, and territory control/conquest. 

At any rate, I agree with everything you said basically. I'd probably take it a bit further and point out that while it's "ok" for people to like the more carebear games, I think it's not hard to argue that they're getting less out of their games than people who play the more hardcore, demanding games. As in, sure you don't have to put in the time/effort/brainspace to enjoy a game with risk/reward, but you're not going to reap as much enjoyment as a result. 

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

I do not understand why people enjoy something like that... But glad you are happy....I think

You don't understand it or you don't share it? It's very easy to understand: The risk adds excitement and adds more of a sense of accomplishment to the success you do have. 

it comes down to whether you would rather do something challenging and succeed or do something trivial and succeed. I enjoy challenge so I like games with open world pvp and even full loot pvp. Some people can't handle stress as well as others and pvp is stressful to a degree so I would imagine these are the people that don't enjoy the "thrill" of constant threat / awareness. My life kind of mirrors my preference, I work a high stress high pressure job, I ride a sport bike and I grew up playing demanding sports like ice hockey and competitive snowboarding.

I can't blame someone for not enjoying something but I expect those on the opposite end of the spectrum from me to be able to accept and understand that the world doesn't revolve around their needs. There are quite a few pve - only games currently out on the market, AA is somewhat different and it would be nice if it could stay that way. I am not playing AA right now but I would like the option to be able to pick up and play a somewhat open sandbox with somewhat open pvp in the future. Right now a game like that doesn't really exist beside say DFUW which is, sadly, very poorly run.

DFUW being poorly run is kind of the trope that gets thrown around, but it's actually a great game, it's just very niche. You have to like pvp, skill-based combat, full loot, and territory control/conquest. 

At any rate, I agree with everything you said basically. I'd probably take it a bit further and point out that while it's "ok" for people to like the more carebear games, I think it's not hard to argue that they're getting less out of their games than people who play the more hardcore, demanding games. As in, sure you don't have to put in the time/effort/brainspace to enjoy a game with risk/reward, but you're not going to reap as much enjoyment as a result. 

I played DFUW for a few months after it released, got up to i think 100k prowess on my Skirmisher/warrior and then got fed up with aventurine and their inability to do anything in a timely and organized manner. I would go back and play again if the game were more fleshed out and closer to what they initially promised but it really isn't. If something like DFUW was released by a AAA studio I probably would never leave.

I played DFUW for a few months after it released, got up to i think 100k prowess on my Skirmisher/warrior and then got fed up with aventurine and their inability to do anything in a timely and organized manner. I would go back and play again if the game were more fleshed out and closer to what they initially promised but it really isn't. If something like DFUW was released by a AAA studio I probably would never leave.

Well don't give up on it just yet. They've done a lot since launch (like a lot) and the biggest/best is yet to come. The week of the 19th is going be the "economy patch" which really means mob loot table revamping, pretty much. Then very shortly after that (a week or two probably), will be the combat patch which is going to completely change how roles work. Essentially you're going to be able to mix and match abilities/boosters from different roles.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

It's entertainment, some people are fueled in an mmo by just the lore. For me when I game i want to be entertained. If it feels like work is stressful or if what I'm doing feels like it's wasting my time screw it. I like to pvp I like to pve it's all fun. I don't find either "trivial". What people are griping about is they would rather like a choice to pvp rather than the latter. From what I'm reading is they might like everything about AA with that exception, I can understand that.

I think rl sports are quite different than gaming online. Gamers will do or say things they would never do to their fellow gamers. Don't know what it has to do with this topic but I to own sport bikes and are involved in competitive sports, I don't have a stressful job, lol.

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I'm haven't been much of a fan of pvp, maybe because it has not been put together well enough to invest my time. However, as of late, pve has been really lacking something since I last played everquest. This game does seem to have more options of things for everyone to enjoy than any other game currently on the market.

The pvp does seem to add some excitement and I feel that grouping or joining a guild would be recommended, which to me is plus. So I will give this game a try. Does anyone know if there are a lot of casual guilds to join?
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by sethman75

Not sure if the OP is a troll but i will bite anyway.

To me wasting 2 hours of game play with nothing to show is anathema.

The single and only reason i play RPG games is because you grow over time from a pleb to a powerful character with slow and steady progress over months and months.

To waste hours and hours just for some high level goose with ocd to take away all your progress is a complete waste of time IMHO.

It sounds like there are a few players that like that type of game but man i can't think of anything worse.

I assume you are not a big fan of death penalties. I am a similar type of gamer. I play RPGs for the progression part. The slower, more complex and meaningful, the better for me. I used to play games that were heavy on character progression (L2, KO, etc.).

However, based on my experience, in games where you have this type of long term vertical progression, you also have a severe exp loss upon death. In the games I mentioned, a single death could easily cost you 24 hours of non stop grind.

Which games did YOU have in mind when talking about months and months of progression?

At the moment i'm doing EQ2.

It is terribly outdated to the point where it is charming.

I believe cap goes to 100 but there are something like 340+ AA levels which continue on past cap and continue progression.

There is more than enough content to last for months if not years.

That's a game i become immersed in, not getting killed by a kid who is 20 levels higher and pretending it's a good game.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Sounds weird but, this game (although its out of my tastes for other reasons) does something good, offers open world ffa PvP, which means that there is a reason to be part of a guild or to have friends: the core mechanic of a MMORPG ..

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i have to ask why do people consider getting ganked a challenge, a challenge is a difficulty to be overcome, ganking to be honest especilly ones of this nature envoleing people you have no chance of defeating and are camping, dose not seem like a challenge because its not possable to overcome it.

i do enjoy a good challenge but i hate being ganked, i dont find it fun and is very frusterateing,i play games to have fun and releave stress not make more.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

Pfft... talk to Oranthal camping the turn in for the 16 x 16 farm space... if you avoid the pirates and if you avoid the jellyfish [at level 20 a level 50 jellyfish with insane aggro is NO FUN] , you still have to avoid the gank gang [what fun to one shot noobs!] And there is no other place to turn it in... me? lol no way am I telling you how I got it done... 

Sylentz

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

that's true - one way to get through some of the quests is to do it as a group which is kinda the raison d'etre for an MMORPG, ya?

Sylentz

Originally posted by Squeak69

i have to ask why do people consider getting ganked a challenge, a challenge is a difficulty to be overcome, ganking to be honest especilly ones of this nature envoleing people you have no chance of defeating and are camping, dose not seem like a challenge because its not possable to overcome it.

i do enjoy a good challenge but i hate being ganked, i dont find it fun and is very frusterateing,i play games to have fun and releave stress not make more.

It's a challenge on the macro level. In other words, it's harder to become rich because dying and losing your stuff is possible.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I am glad we finaly get to play a mmo fantasy sandbox.
    After playing all the big themepark mmo including ESO it just never ever gives me the same feeling i have in Eve Online.
    Going from Hisec to Lowsec and then Nullsec is hi state of awareness and you know death is looking you in the eyes.

This makes playing a game exciting, and the risk versus reward you get is making it all the more worthwhile.

I heared bad things about AA in the past that XLGames made huge mistakes in Korea, and in Russia stuff isnt much better.
    But i have full faith in Trion to deliver a fair playground and gladly pay a sub for this sandbox to get the most out of the game.

As so far i have seen so many things that makes this mmo stand out from all the other mmo's i have seen.

Gank or be ganked its part of the sandbox.
    Make friends and organise trade runs with backups to secure your traderoute.

There are worldbosses that needs 50 or 100 players and you can be ganked to oblivion by pvp guilds.
    There are tons of stuff that players can do.
    This mmo is not for the solo player or players who expect a themepark with no real danger.

After watching a few vids today my interest increased to new heights as ESO is not the mmo i was expecting....
    Archeage is basicly Eve Online in a fantasy setting and how many of these have we seen ?
    I cant tell as i havent seen one yet !

Wont go into Alpha as characters are getting wiped and i dont want to play a mmo like that knowing my investment is going to be wiped clear.
    But man i cant wait for release :)

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

No its not easy to camp. There is so much damn space to cover.

PVErs are beginning to flock to the forums to try to change the game into an I WIN button (the usual)

Just have to get my enjoyment in before Trion bends over.

I am not a PvP player, but Trion should NOT cave in to anyone. There needs to be games like this for those that enjoy them. Those of us who are PvE players can play other games (of which there are a ton of). 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

This is the problem with this ruleset. You have people who think they're so awesome because they can kill someone that is like a 50th of their power. ooo you can gank someone in 1 hit with your super powers lol.  This is why a game with these rulesets will never make it in today's age.  Too many gankers, not enough police guilds.

PvP you always lose and there are no real winners.  It's the inherent problem with all PvP

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Gravarg

This is the problem with this ruleset. You have people who think they're so awesome because they can kill someone that is like a 50th of their power. ooo you can gank someone in 1 hit with your super powers lol.  This is why a game with these rulesets will never make it in today's age.  Too many gankers, not enough police guilds.

PvP you always lose and there are no real winners.  It's the inherent problem with all PvP

I have read that out-levelling someone is not a guarantee of successfully ganking them.   Anyone confirm this?  Also, it seems people are generalizing too much with regards to PvP,  without really knowing how the game works.  Forums be forums though!

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by stromp45
    For everyone wondering if this games worth it  id say heck yes. Was on a trade run 3 feet away from the turn in guy with a trade pack on my back 100 corn value around 1 gold.  Thats no big deal the 20 min trip across the ocean and just about to get my reward and boom im dead and all my hard work gone. But that what makes it worth it the excitement of am i going to get there or loss all my crap. 

Yeah sounds like alot of fun....then again jumping off a bridge head diving into rocks is the equivalent.

Originally posted by Mothanos

I am glad we finaly get to play a mmo fantasy sandbox.
    After playing all the big themepark mmo including ESO it just never ever gives me the same feeling i have in Eve Online.
    Going from Hisec to Lowsec and then Nullsec is hi state of awareness and you know death is looking you in the eyes.

This makes playing a game exciting, and the risk versus reward you get is making it all the more worthwhile.

I heared bad things about AA in the past that XLGames made huge mistakes in Korea, and in Russia stuff isnt much better.
    But i have full faith in Trion to deliver a fair playground and gladly pay a sub for this sandbox to get the most out of the game.

As so far i have seen so many things that makes this mmo stand out from all the other mmo's i have seen.

Gank or be ganked its part of the sandbox.
    Make friends and organise trade runs with backups to secure your traderoute.

There are worldbosses that needs 50 or 100 players and you can be ganked to oblivion by pvp guilds.
    There are tons of stuff that players can do.
    This mmo is not for the solo player or players who expect a themepark with no real danger.

After watching a few vids today my interest increased to new heights as ESO is not the mmo i was expecting....
    Archeage is basicly Eve Online in a fantasy setting and how many of these have we seen ?
    I cant tell as i havent seen one yet !

Wont go into Alpha as characters are getting wiped and i dont want to play a mmo like that knowing my investment is going to be wiped clear.
    But man i cant wait for release :)

The game seems really cool, I just wish the combat was more engaging/fun. I can stand tab-targeting and the slight variations of it.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

the problem is always the community, the difference between hardcore and casual players and how extreme games turn out...i think there should be some sort of cool down

Its fine getting ganked once or twice - thats fun - but if you get ganked for hours, not being able to progress etc. it just becomes tedious...with that in mind maybe they can come up with a system that makes ganking the same players again and again in a short time period more and more difficult

And while i think the sandbox elements are really interesting, the old ui/mechanics and oldschool (boring to me) combat just put me off - if i want that, i play the secret world again which for me is just vastly superior to archeage in terms of characters, lore, world, quests and stories...and has as boring combat (but a much more interesting skill system imo).

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    OWPvP and corpse loot... any game with this will be dead in 3-4 months. Just an empty world populated only by a bunch of idiots with bully mentality.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Inb4 zerg ganking guild owns the server. 
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by stayBlind

I want an immersive virtual world that emulates a living and breathing world but PVP count me out !

There needs to be something in the cash shop that makes me invincible to other players.

artificial intelligence isnt there yet - which means a living and breathing world is built around player interaction - and player interaction is only meaningful if it includes hostility and consequences

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by stayBlind

I want an immersive virtual world that emulates a living and breathing world but PVP count me out !

There needs to be something in the cash shop that makes me invincible to other players.

artificial intelligence isnt there yet - which means a living and breathing world is built around player interaction - and player interaction is only meaningful if it includes hostility and consequences

It may be part of human interaction but it sure as hell isn't required to be meaningful.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920
    Originally posted by Copperfield

[stuff]

But hey if you wanne walk around on a mule whole day in a game and doing house/farming stuff this is prolly the game for you

Actually, yeah, I really like that kind of game.  Didn't get to do anything much in the Russian version though because I didn't want to spend money.  I'll wait until Trion's version goes open beta and dive in.  Can't say I'll do many runs into PvP areas, but maybe once in awhile.  It's fine as long as I'm not forced to.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I'll start off by saying I HATE PVP.  I only play PVE and I LOVE AA.  For me (and probably others as well) its the randomness thats fun.  The best PvE experiences are still scripted.  Once you run through them no matter how long its no longer a challenge.  Its no longer new.  You always know the outcome.  You may not know if you will survive it but the outcome doesn't change.   

But with AA the outcome is based on character behavior instead of a scripted event.  Maybe I do a trade run during hours when its quiet. Maybe I hire some other gamers to protect me.  Maybe they double cross me.  You don't know and that's what makes the game fun.  That's why I feel it won't be boring.  As as a self proclaimed solo'er in most MMOs -- this is one of the first MMO where I want a (good) guild.  I see this game being all about the friendships you make.  Making a grouping based game that isn't about the grouping directly, but about connecting with other gamers to achieve your goals.

Will I lose stuff? Of course.  Will I be pissed? probably.  But I also feel that risk pays off in satisfaction when I do eventually get the reward.

If you are a hardcore solo PVE'er like myself, I still say give this a try.  Its not the scripted PvP in other MMOs and you have more flexibility around how you handle open world PvP that adds a new dimension to MMOs that can be exciting.  Try somethiing different, and test for yourself.  It is F2P after all.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I'll start off by saying I HATE PVP.  I only play PVE and I LOVE AA.  For me (and probably others as well) its the randomness thats fun.  The best PvE experiences are still scripted.  Once you run through them no matter how long its no longer a challenge.  Its no longer new.  You always know the outcome.  You may not know if you will survive it but the outcome doesn't change.   

But with AA the outcome is based on character behavior instead of a scripted event.  Maybe I do a trade run during hours when its quiet. Maybe I hire some other gamers to protect me.  Maybe they double cross me.  You don't know and that's what makes the game fun.  That's why I feel it won't be boring.  As as a self proclaimed solo'er in most MMOs -- this is one of the first MMO where I want a (good) guild.  I see this game being all about the friendships you make.  Making a grouping based game that isn't about the grouping directly, but about connecting with other gamers to achieve your goals.

Will I lose stuff? Of course.  Will I be pissed? probably.  But I also feel that risk pays off in satisfaction when I do eventually get the reward.

If you are a hardcore solo PVE'er like myself, I still say give this a try.  Its not the scripted PvP in other MMOs and you have more flexibility around how you handle open world PvP that adds a new dimension to MMOs that can be exciting.  Try somethiing different, and test for yourself.  It is F2P after all.

Just wanna ask someone who has been playing the game a fair bit... I;ve been playing over the weekend, and there is something that I can't put my finger on, but the game feels unfinished in certain areas, like someone started to build a house but ran out of time so didn't build all the rooms. In towns for example, they feel like there are buildings missing or something...