Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] WildStar: Gauging the Critical Reception

Comments

• PoisondwarfPoisondwarf Member UncommonPosts: 33

34 is about the right score for this WOW clone.

If it looks like WOW and Quests like WOW then it is WOW.

• onemanwolfonemanwolf Member Posts: 20
    I believe the critics will give this game 85 unless there are some issues with servers and if the quest or dungeons have a lot of glitches another thing that worries me is the EU servers which have not been live during beta and may present so challenges at launch.   If technical issues plague launch that could take cause a drop in the score.  As far a break through in MMOs what I see is gaming if it is a shooter or a RPG it all has been done we all know what works and what didn't work it has come to a point where we are going back to side scrolling 8 bit gaming which is new to this generation of gamers and to them this is a fresh approach to gaming.  As far as Wildstar it is fun to play and that is what a game should be right we play games and that are fun. To a comment you made in your story why not play WOW well I will tell you why I fall asleep playing WOW its boring it a grind and are you kidding me $15 a month sub fee and 13 months of no new content you can not expect your customers to pay for not new content, I mean would you go to a restaurant and pay not to eat until the restaurant decides to bring you some food.   This is why WOW is in a decline people expect value for their hard earned dollars and Blizzaard I feel have lost their way and became a huge money machine and forgot why they took the world by storm because they use to be like Carbine passionate about gaming and make fun games.  Critic will find something not to like and I submit I question some reviewers like IGN and Gamespot it feels like there is some money exchanging hands or a reaseon they give some games better reviews that do not deserve the score that the award a game like ESO on IGN are you kidding me I feel ESO is this year biggest disappointment and IGN gives it 7.9 are you kidding me. Gamespot review on ESO is more inline with the truth or Angry Joes review which made me laugh so hard my side was cramping up it was awesome and honest.  So the real measure is fun is it fun then this game should get a 8.9 I feel the critics will score it like this and ding on voice overs and old style and telegraphing which some hate.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Im feeling a high 70s low 80s kinda vibe from WS.  The one thing thats against it right now is how it runs.  Its been the first game that actually has my computer showing its age.  Its about 5 years old at this point, but it could still run ESO and FF14 fairly well at mid to high settings.  Granted im not running at high resolutions, still only 1680x1050.

Im guessing alot of people have older computers, especially with how the economy has been, and wont realize, especially with the art style chosen, that its a fairly demanding game from a hardware perspective (at least it seems to me) and that it needs some serious optimization even for high end machines.  That could lead to a backlash.

Note - Yea dont pay attention to Voqar, hes been spamming the forums both here and on the official ones about that.  He's gotten his refund and now is just trolling.

• kp695304kp695304 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    It deserves an 80+ for launch, and it could potentially be a 90+ game depending on how well the game is developed post launch over the next few years. Wildstar already has a great set of features and amount of content so it will be intertesting where they take it in the future.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Poisondwarf

How does WoW get a 34?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

How does WoW get a 34?

Good thing this game does not quest like WoW then. That was a close one!!!

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    atleast for me they DID fix the fps issues, but the starting area is still fun as watching paint to dry. Struggling atm to get thru it so I could see is it better at +10 to +20 levels, Seriusly they should be awarded for the starting place. It takes skill to make it this boring.

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    8.5 critics, 7.0 gamers.
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

First off... I played Wildstar beta to 15 and ESO beta to 15 before making a definite decision. Wildstar was pretty boring to me and was very limiting. ESO had a much more beautiful world, better stories and immersion, and AvA beat the PvPArenas any day. At the end of 15 levels of Wildstar I screamed "Get me the hell out of here!"  After ESO I just wanted more more more. I'm currently 35 or so in ESO...mianly because my friends are slow and I don't want to out level them too much.

As of now from a critic's standpoint, I will give Wildstar an 8.2 and I will give ESO an 8.0.

Why? Although Wildstar had TERRIBLE performance and fun factor for me when I played compared to ESO (even in the AVA areas which is utterly sad), everything seemed to be a bit more "fleshed out" in terms of content and I definitely got the WoW 2.0 vibe that they pull off very well.

I'd say by August or so, ESO will be an 8.5 and Wildstar will stay an 8.2 for critics.

Personally, I'd give Wildstar a 7.5 and ESO an 8.5 right now since I've actually experienced very little of the bugs and issues people have experienced in ESO and alternatively have experienced a lot more issues in Wildstar. 

Still you've gotta hand it to how much work has been done in both games.

• WraithclawsWraithclaws Member UncommonPosts: 53

First of all this topic should be about Wildstar, a game that has nothing to do with ESO(a game that ruined Skyrim). These ESO-mormons, trying to convince everyone that ESO doesnt suck, in EVERY MMORPG TOPIC should leave their mom's basement and walk outside :D

You dont need to be smart to figure out that players playing Wildstar are not really interested in another genre of mmorpg (ESO)

Wildstar is fun, original, yeah it's not another game about elf/orcs/dragons.

I really enjoying it, this PATH feature is a plus for the mmorpg universe.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I beta tested WS and have to say that in my honest opinion i was disappointed. 

After playing WoW for nearly 10 years (i finally quit last December), I went into WS with anticipation of something new and unique from WoW. I had already known that talent from Blizzard back before they sold out was working for Carbine.

My disappointment came when I logged in ran around for 6 hours then realized I had done this all before... the inane catalog quests, the lead by the nose linear quests.. thhe cartoonish graphics... Hell I had just left a similar game....

When told to get a book off the book shelf because the Emperor had lost the book I thought in my head..." isnt that where books are supposed to go?" Or running around screwing with cameras.. or killing insane amounts of adds... it just felt the same as WoW, but with guns......oh wait WoW has tose also.. ok a bone for a second... the skill markers on the ground were unique... but ive seen that in other games.

Simply put It was a rehash of other games out there and one of the few I can honestly call a WoW-clone.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Since it's the only MMO me and my friends couldn't even force ourselves to play.. I'm in whatever camp is "It's junk."
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It's the 'jaded should no longer be looking to play themepark camp'

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

WS seems like everything we've seen and are now bored by, plus embarrassing graphics.  I wouldn't even bother with F2P.

As far as scoring, my prediction is this:

MMORPG.COM score = 1.3 * average (metacritic composite user score, metacritic composite reviewers score)

See ESO, SWToR, etc for examples.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Well I got a beta key yesterday.  I downloaded and installed the game.  I can't log into the game it keeps saying can not connect to nc servers.  Well I did a patch of the game and the same thing. On the servers it says to change from north america servers to Europe servers.  Only problem is I am in north America.   So the game is totally unplayable for me until the can figure out what is going on with North America.  Oh and before any of you say shut down your anti virus, I did that as well. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

How does WoW get a 34?

Good thing this game does not quest like WoW then. That was a close one!!!

That's kinda where I was going. The game's not WoW, but even if it's as close as people say, then the game should deserve a similar score.

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by kp695304
    It deserves an 80+ for launch, and it could potentially be a 90+ game depending on how well the game is developed post launch over the next few years. Wildstar already has a great set of features and amount of content so it will be intertesting where they take it in the future.

I   am 2 days in open beta and i have to say,i see a different game  from the past 2 months.The game has made huge steps forward from an average-good game to a brilliant game.Living proof  that taking your time to improve the gane its really important, i am glad they took their time( first release date given was late q1)    now to be more precise:

---They improved  the already great UI. its way more helpfull ,and  the adjustment in action bars was a plus:Adjectively  WS has the most complete and beautifull UI from any other MMORPG currently

---Though i stil have some fps issues, i  havent encountered a single bug,

-The  quest chalenges is one of the most fun aspect  i've seen lately, it just makes questing more rewarding and fun

--Paths had some issues, currenlty science path is imo the most fun, the fact that u level it and u also get some skills out of it its great  .

While in Beta i would rate the game around 7.5 now deffo gets the least an 8.5 with prospect to get it higher,

Someone from above(cant remember who said something very correct) .Innovations have been tried and failed, and thats because its not nesscesary (imo) to change something succesfull, BUT make it fun in its own way, and WS looks like it wil suceed in that.Game gets even better at 20+ in terms of challenge and  difficulty.This game YES deffo worths the sub and the money

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by KalSpiro

*snip*    If WoW is what you like, I honestly feel you would like WildStar more because it's almost more WoW than WoW while simultaneously being something new and different.    *snip*

i dont think so. I would have agreed with you here if Carbine had made better decisions in some huge parts of the game. For example, why would i (me personally) abandon an mmo that lets me customize my character and make any build i like within my class and play with many types of weapons within that same class? to go play an mmo that doesnt have customization and as soon as i pick a class im stuck with the same weapon, role and build until it drives me mad? no thank you.

Wildstar has a lot of really cool stuff going on that i really like, but the few bad game designs they made are extremely detrimental to a new mmo, in my opinion . Also, even lower quality f2p mmos are realizing that character/class customization is important to keep the gameplay fresh.

This is only one of the biggest issues i have with Wildstar and probably the only reason i wouldnt subscribe. But thats just me.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I really don't get the Elder Scrolls love, I just don't understand it...  To me it is just another SWTOR.

However, Wildstar is trying to do something actually different. I hope it pays off, I'm tired of the same ol same ol with every game that comes out.

Yeah, it pretty much is what people were asking for.

- Features we are used to at launch (Dungeon Finder, Auction House, Battlegrounds, Endgame)

- Something that takes time and dedication, not some short term "We will take all your money while we can".

- An actual OPEN world, no instancing other than the starting zones (I think those zones are up to like 6 or 7?) and all of the zones are connected (No loading screen once you are on one of the continents)

- Promising good updates once a month (Obviously only time will tell on this)

- Familiar enough to understand, but new enough to leave another MMO for.

- It has a style that I can honestly say...no other mmos have. It has its own feeling.

I could go on for a while, but this list is already getting too long.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    It's the 'jaded should no longer be looking to play themepark camp'

The camp is starting to get really really big, and really really crowded

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Asariasha
    Originally posted by Maquiame

For those who enjoy this have fun. I'll be playing ArcheAge, I just can't go back to a standard A-Z quester/real game starts at endgame raider.

The future is sandboxes, point blank period. The internal player politics and RTS elements of a sandbox simply blow away their competition, even in a sandpark like AA.

Sorry but no go for this one. I can't bear to play another railroaded single player combat grinder quest hopper anymore.

I disagree. 

Even though the content of a Theme Park is limited, these types of MMOs offer quick fun. And that's what the gamer in the end is looking for. You should also consider that MMOs usually are targetted towards a younger audience. This means, what is known to us is unknown to the latest audience.

Sandboxes are really great games and I very much enjoyed by years playing EvE Online. The reason why I believe them not being able to become the next big thing is, because these games require the player a lot of time investment. The invested time in for example building something can then usually be easily destroyed by others.

This alone is enough to push sandbox game into a niche that is prefered by hardcore gamers.

I disagree, the only thing that will happen is someone will make a sandpark (not pure sandbox mind you) that requires less of a dedication requirement than a pure sandbox, and the magical floodgates of money shall sprout open once more for the genre.

You have to give players the tools they need to play the game how they want. All future mmo producers just need to do is soften the blow of the time requirement and the game will be a license to print money. Eve and WoW need to have a baby or namely ArcheAge and WoW.  

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by KalSpiro

*snip*    If WoW is what you like, I honestly feel you would like WildStar more because it's almost more WoW than WoW while simultaneously being something new and different.    *snip*

*snip*  Also, even lower quality f2p mmos are realizing that character/class customization is important to keep the gameplay fresh.

This is only one of the biggest issues i have with Wildstar and probably the only reason i wouldnt subscribe. But thats just me.

I somewhat agree with you on the lack of abilities. However, I feel there is enough customization to lift this MMO off the ground, and I'm not referring to only AMPS.

Ability points. This is actually a hard choice as it makes your abilities do different things for different situations (at higher levels) and the fact that it allows you to change them whenever you want without cost.

In other words, there is a lot more to the characters than it first appears, its not about picking the "Best" damage abilities or the "Best" support abilities. Its about choosing what abilities matter to you and experimenting with them.

As a final note, there is something else people have been overlooking. The fact that this game doesn't force you into a specific talent tree. Everything is open to you on that class ability wise. 

I feel like there will be some crazy builds when this game hits endgame...

TL:DR - Customization seems limited, but there is a ton more to dig through than what appears on the surface. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by thepatriot

The remake of Psycho wasn't a big success and so I would expect that the remake of WoW, even updated for a new audience won't either.  Especially as a sub game.

Remakes tend to suck.

People who call this a WoW clone have only looked skin deep. Combat, nothing like WoW, Crafting, nothing like WoW... I could go on but you get the point. Play to level 20 and kill your first boss in a dungeon and you will get my point. BTW stop calling games WoW clones, because WoW was a clone. Its like calling every FPS a DOOM clone.

Not really.  

WoW used many mechanics from its predecessors like EQ and DAoC, but it brought accessibility and casual gaming to the main stream in a way that hadn't been done in the genre.  When people call games WoW clones, especially in a negative context, its because a game uses this mmo design philosophy that caters to the casual crowd in hopes of making an easy buck instead of actually taking a real risk by creating a virtual world with more to do than grind quests > get levels > do dungeons and/or arenas.  This is just a very narrow approach to MMOs and veteran gamers know that this doesn't stand to advance the genre in order to fulfill its true potential, which is the creation of vibrant virtual fantasy worlds.  Its been 15 years since Ultima Online and Everquest and the only people who seem to understand the potential MMOs hold are smaller outfits from Korea and China.

With this I say, I hope Wild Star all the best and that I hold nothing against them for making a grab at WoWs playerbase.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Wildstar has a lot of the basic requirements for a MMO in the game and fleshes it out with player housing and a unique world but it just fails at the most basic requirement which is to be a fun game. Combat is clunky and doesn't flow as smoothly as even your most basic tab targetting games like WoW and SWTOR and is a long way behind GW2. Questing is just horrendously bad, 10 years out of date at least. Limited voice acting, just accept quest and kill X of Y or collect Z whatevers. No attempt to make it interesting at all.

Developers really need to stop putting 50-100 level of boring crap in their games and calling it levelling. Scrap the whole idea of levelling and make a game that is all end game or give us with an actual good story as levelling content (e.g. SWTOR and TSW).

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Pretty boring, brings nothing  to the MMO table not more than 5 or 6