Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Bound by Flame: The Fire Fizzles Out

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Why are you attacking him on a review ? It is his opinion if you disagree it will not change your own impression of the game will it ? Reviews are quite subjective. They will always reflect how the reviewer feels and their views are not necessarily truth or false they are subjective.

Everybody has their own personal grading system and the only way to know it is by following the other reviews of the reviewer for a baseline. It is all made up the numbers by the person reviewing  and you can only grade one review from another if you follow the reviewer and know his other game reviews. What is the point of trying to quantify it ?

I understand that a person like Angry Joe has a great deal of influence on what buyers might buy but it all boils down to a view point that is entirely subjective. I have almost never come across in any area be it books,music,games,test papers for a person to divorce their own feelings out of a review.  It is tough that a person has influence and does not like the game you like but them are the breaks.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    TL;DR Summary: Just get Child of Light instead.

<3

• Mordeth123Mordeth123 Member Posts: 15
    Hmm, that's really dissaponting, it's not just MMORPG that rates this game low. It looked really promising..oh well, at least I didn't get the pre-order.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Mordeth123
    Hmm, that's really dissaponting, it's not just MMORPG that rates this game low. It looked really promising..oh well, at least I didn't get the pre-order.

I know!!! I was about to pre-order, but was waiting until the reviews were in on Wolfenstein and Watchdogs. I can only buy 2 this month lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Thanks Bill. I was considering buying this too

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Ok, well if you work better with a grading system I'll help you out again. Simply multiple the score out of 10 by 10.... still with me? That's 45% == F Find your equivalent grading scores using a website called Google. Actually, just click here Sorry, but if you can't equate a 10-base grading scale to a numerical one enough to know that a 4.5 means it's not good, or even that a 5.5 or 6 isn't good, then maybe you should redo math. Sorry.

Do you seriously believe that 5/10 implying anything else but average is more intuitive?

Originally posted by Gdemami

Ok, well if you work better with a grading system I'll help you out again. Simply multiple the score out of 10 by 10.... still with me? That's 45% == F

Find your equivalent grading scores using a website called Google. Actually, just click here

Sorry, but if you can't equate a 10-base grading scale to a numerical one enough to know that a 4.5 means it's not good, or even that a 5.5 or 6 isn't good, then maybe you should redo math. Sorry.

Do you seriously believe that 5/10 implying anything else but average is more intuitive?

Well, considering the 1 to 10 rating system has been in place since, I don't know, the 80s!! I figure that most people would have it figured out by now. It's not like MMORPG is deviating from any other rating system out there. Check out IGN 4.5 == Bad. Check out Gamespot, same deal (their rating was 4 btw) 4 == bad. Again, in school 40% == bad. In school, if you had a 50% or 55%  mark overall, you were NOT average, you were below average. 

I think that the 1-10 scale follows this idea across the board, more or less. So, basically a zero out of 10 would be like, "You couldn't even remember your name to write it on the paper"-style badness. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Bound By Flame is a generic, poorly designed, and almost offensive experience that I would only recommend ever picking up when it’s $5 or less during a Steam Sale.

How does a game you feel the above quoted toward still score a 4.5?! I realize, this is low for Bill Murphy, and if there's one thing you're proving with this review, it's that you know the scoring scale is actually 1 to 10, and not 7 to 10. Yet every single time, the writing simply doesn't match the reviewed score.

As stated numerous times already, we use the grade scale of 6 = D, 7 = C, 8 = B, 9 = A.  Anything under a 6 is failing. 

It's really not hard to grasp, once you realize we're grading games like a teacher grades papers. 

No, it's not hard to grasp, it's just misleading. Why not use a letter grade score and end all the confusion, if that's all these numbers really mean or translate to, anyway?

Well it obviously is hard to grasp since you don't seem to get how rating systems work. It's not a rating system of 0 or 10 it's a rating system from 0 to 10. A rating of 4.5 simply means it provides some redeeming values, but not enough to justify playing it, unless you're really hard up for a new adventure (as mentioned).

If you're looking for more black and white reviews, check out the user reviews on metacritic, then are based on a 0 or 10 system. 

Hope this helps to clarify! 

I don't want a 1 or a 10 review system, I want a numerical system based on a ten point scale to equate their place, rather than some ascribed system that needs fucking translation. To most people, a 4.5 is going to mean slightly below average, not an "F" quality of product.

Ok, well if you work better with a grading system I'll help you out again. Simply multiple the score out of 10 by 10.... still with me? That's 45% == F

Find your equivalent grading scores using a website called Google. Actually, just click here

Sorry, but if you can't equate a 10-base grading scale to a numerical one enough to know that a 4.5 means it's not good, or even that a 5.5 or 6 isn't good, then maybe you should redo math. Sorry. 

I have to agree with Lawlmonster on this one.  A through F is one way to grade something and 1 through 10 is another.  So MMO RPG "combined" the two together for some bizarre reason.  Meaning that players need to "look up on the website" how to interprete the score.  That my friend is bad design, its kind of  hypocritical to rate a game based on bad design when your site has its own bad design problems.   So 5 through 10 works like the A B C D F system and 1 through 4 works on a scale of "more fail-er-er", okay that makes perfect sense.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

and they wonder why we try and get games from friends for free.

I am going to get mush more selective when buying games,that includes mmos.

I have to agree with Lawlmonster on this one.  A through F is one way to grade something and 1 through 10 is another.  So MMO RPG "combined" the two together for some bizarre reason.  Meaning that players need to "look up on the website" how to interprete the score.  That my friend is bad design, its kind of  hypocritical to rate a game based on bad design when your site has its own bad design problems.   So 5 through 10 works like the A B C D F system and 1 through 4 works on a scale of "more fail-er-er", okay that makes perfect sense.

It might be counter-intuitive if every single rating system and every single school in the world didn't tell us that below 50% was bad. You don't need a website for that, you need a school. I'll even go as far as to say that maybe with the way the educational system is today you might not run into percentage grades until high school. So, to be fair, you're completely right. For anyone without a grade 9 education or someone who hasn't read a review since the 80s, 5/10 might sound like a pretty good game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Such a shame. Would've gone to town tomorrow to get a copy. Been waiting for an Amalur-style game - but seeing the reviews, even the user reviews, i think i'll pass on this one.

Too bad ...

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

I call 'em like I see 'em!  This one really is bad.

If you thought ESO deserved much less than I rated it, imagine how bad this game must be.  ;)

Bill!

Do a review on Sergey Titov.

it seems hes made the 2 worst games of 2 different decades

2000s - Big Rigs over the road racing

2010s - WarZ

Without a doubt the worst game developer of all time.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Actually Bill Murphy was more forgiving and gave 'Bound by Flame' a little higher score of 4.5 while all the other gaming sites are giving it a 4 and adding how bad the game is.

I was really looking forward to this title so I'm a little upset. It's not surprising either as this seems to be the norm. Over hype a game, don't let anyone try a demo of it then when it launches turns out to be a huge failure aka. 'Aliens Colonial Marines'..... yeah same thing just happened here. What a shame alot of people were looking forward to this title.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138
    i did not even have to play the game to know it was going  to be bad,
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by fenrisblue
    i did not even have to play the game to know it was going  to be bad,

You have any lottery numbers for me?    

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Wow, that's a shame, I actually checked out the website for this game yesterday and they made it sound really good. May just wait till it's in the bargain bin and give it a try for myself anyway, you never know!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Im not surprised at all considering the trailers I saw for it. I vote for Bad Bill the Mad Murphy, its an awesome name!
  • lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Your grading style isn't hard to grasp if someone explains it, but most people are used to the 1 to 5 star, or on a scale of 1 to 10 when doing reviews. So that fact that you do something different is going to lead to questions. I give your grading style a 4.6835. Guess what scale i'm using.....

Not so nice guy!

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by lordtwisted

Your grading style isn't hard to grasp if someone explains it, but most people are used to the 1 to 5 star, or on a scale of 1 to 10 when doing reviews. So that fact that you do something different is going to lead to questions. I give your grading style a 4.6835. Guess what scale i'm using.....

If someone says "Yeah, this game is a 4.5 out of 10", common sense tells me that it is a pretty bad game. If you took a test with 10 questions and got 4 answers correct, and one partially correct, how well do you feel you did?

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Heh, it's a 1-10 grading system guys, it's not really hard to grasp. Anything below a 6 is failing, it's just like school, and every other 1-10 rating system I have seen.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Oh dear, I guess Spider wouldn't pay for advertising...

Sorry, but it's extremely rare to see you guys being really honest about bad stuff, you have a tendency to suger coat it. Therefore this one took me by surprise, can't remember to have seen you completely slaughtering anything at all before.

It's like when you reviewed Star Trek Online, and obviously held back on criticism, while ads for the same game took up half the screen. Which is why your reviews have been for entertainment purpose only, for me, not something to take seriuosly.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

How is blocking and dodging attacks cheating? Sounds more like you are a terrible player.

----

How is this different from ESO where you cheat the system by blocking or dodging when the mobs telegraph their special moves?

----

Most ridiculous thing i read in a while, can't take any reviews by this person serious.

By all means, read the other reviews here. You'll find we must all be ridiculous. Or buy the game, and find out you should have listened. :)

What does other reviews matter? Most other companies gave ESO a subpar review and you still gave it a decent review so why now would you take into consideration what other people said? Also look Gameinformer, the only name review gave the game an 80...Seems like they didnt pay you guys enough and you are mad.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

nvm...

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

I call 'em like I see 'em!  This one really is bad.

If you thought ESO deserved much less than I rated it, imagine how bad this game must be.  ;)

A morning cup of coffee laugh from Utah upon reading that Bill :)

• MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Using a non-numerical system means it wouldn't show up on Metacritic!