Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the longest you've ever stayed with an MMORPG?

Comments

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Warhammer Online : 5 years

Regardless of all the complaints I really wish I had spent more time with WAR....and now it's gone.

On topic:  Wow.  Started shortly after launch.  Was on my way to burned out by the end of BC, but my girlfriend got really into it and our guild so that pulled me through to Cata.

Never really got into another game for an extended period of time.  Started with EQ.  Lot of 6-12 months here and there.  For someone that plays primarily mmorpgs oddly the longest I've played a game in the last two years was 7 months in Planetside 2.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Dabbled in UO and EQ was more into partying in those days.

WoW for 3 1/2 years starting at beta up until I quit with a few breaks here and there during that time.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

Originally posted by Wyrdfell   Warhammer Online : 5 years
    Regardless of all the complaints I really wish I had spent more time with WAR....and now it's gone.

On topic:  Wow.  Started shortly after launch.  Was on my way to burned out by the end of BC, but my girlfriend got really into it and our guild so that pulled me through to Cata.

Never really got into another game for an extended period of time.  Started with EQ.  Lot of 6-12 months here and there.  For someone that plays primarily mmorpgs oddly the longest I've played a game in the last two years was 7 months in Planetside 2.

If War didn't closed, I'll play it another 5 years for sure. Regardless it was my favorite mmo. I can't compare it with another mmo, even with Daoc. I miss it so much... :(

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

Originally posted by Wyrdfell   Warhammer Online : 5 years

If War didn't closed, I'll play it another 5 years for sure. Regardless it was my favorite mmo. I can't compare it with another mmo, even with Daoc. I miss it so much... :(

Hmmm I may need to check the dates, but I'm thinking....yep WAR would have come out in Wow:TBC when my girlfriend started playing.  So that's why I never gave it more than a couple weeks.  For all the crap it got it was a decent game.  It had it's own problems but nothing could have hurt it more than releasing as Wow was heading toward it's peak success from TBC into Wotlk.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Eve 8 years

Wow 3-4 years

LOTRO since day 1 of the release until today - only last 2years maybe only a month or 2 a year i pop on

AoC bought 3rd day aftrer release, still play it like LOTRO 

both the latter games are what i tend to jump on when im EvE'd out - EvE subs never die, but its quite nice to pop onto an easy game for month or 2 to break it up

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    World of Warcraft. I joined in 2004 when it released and played it until two months into the WOTLK expansion. So 2004 till early 2009. That's non stop, without cancelling my sub. After that I have subbed on and off for the odd month here and then but no more than 1-2 months at a time. So that's 4-5 years in total. Roughly speaking.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    DAoC - 10 years, looks like I could be in ESO that long, it finally got me to cancel DAoC.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

For me, it's World of Warcraft by a large margin. I played  from a few months after launch until mid-way through Cataclysm. If I think about my time in WoW too much, I get the urge to go and play. Some of my best memories are centered around that game. The memories I have are not of in-game events, but the relationships and experiences with people who were once strangers that became life-long friends. It is simply a time in my life I will never forget. 

Damn! Now I want to go and play some WoW. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Earth & Beyond  

From release to shutdown and now i'm back playing the emulator which is just amazing. Goes to show you what true fans can do just from screenshots and videos stored on their pc's. Its just like it was before shutdown. And the community of players are the best in any mmo out there even though its small. If any of you played this game you should check it out. http://www.net-7.org/

Anarchy Online

From 2001 off and on up to 2012. Had alot of friends that played this along with Earth & Beyond. Played both games for years. Anarchy online and Earth & Beyond were back in the hey day of when mmo's were great and player communities were good. The Shadowlands espansion really ruined Anarchy Online.  I and my friends were part of the mass exit that happened to the game.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Asheron's Call:  Stayed subscribed from November of 1999 through September of 2013.  Played off and on over the years for a total of about 7 years.

WoW: Played continuously from Release through one month ofter Cataclysm expansion.  6 years.

Dark Age of Camelot:  Release through the start of Trials of Atlantis.  2 Years total.

No other game longer then 6 months with the majority lasting right around the 3 month mark.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    The longest single continuous MMO?  Probably Anarchy Online, more than 3 years straight, although I played off and on since release until I finally dropped it and haven't  been back since.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• purelydefpurelydef Member Posts: 2
    I've played WoW on and off for 8 years. I haven't really found any other MMO's that were able to capture my attention for that long
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Longest continuous was probably EVE for around 5 years. I stopped playing sometime last year, I will never pick it up again. Longest on off sub is wow, since vanilla so that's around 10 years...(good grief!) and I'll probably play it again after the new expansion and I'll hate myself for it. Most recent MMO I'm still playing is FF14ARR played since beta and I have alpha for ArcheAge. But honourable mention goes to the original EQ, my first mmo.

But most mmo's I don't last more than a month. AoC, ESO, Secret World, Tera the list goes on.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Longest time with a game

City of Heroes, from inception to closing.

Longest consecutive subscription.

Eve.. I forgot it on for little over a year and a half. Did not play the game but i had forgot to cancel the subscription. Ah employment how i miss you. 

This have been a good conversation

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

SWG til the dreaded Combat Upgrade. - no clue how long that was, too long ago. (2-5 paid subs at any given time)

DDO - til f2p model + stupid designs ruined - maybe 2-3 years strait, then even alittle on and off after for more years.

Played tons of stuff, but nothing else has stuck. Still looking for a legit home.

~I am Many~

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

EQ2 - 2004 - 2007 then 2008 - until it went f2p so around 5+ years.

most of that time spent raiding and in group dungeons

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

WoW for me. Played around 6 years with a small break in between Wrath and Cata and stopped right around the time the skill trees got streamlined to the simplicity it is today. After the butchery the classes suffered, I haven't had the itch to re visit.

Also there was FFXI which I played for 4 years straight with no break from 2003 - 2007. I only quit because I was deployed. When I came back to  the game they had added Abyssea and it was ruined for me. I did love that they added level sync, but the book burning stuff just killed the soul of the game. Even though I played WoW longer, I enjoyed FFXI much more.

GW2 I played pretty solidly for about 8 months before I started popping in and out here and there.

Other than that I haven't found an MMO to hold my attention for longer than the 30 day grace period.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Continuously (play at least once a week): Shadowbane 3 years

Mostly continuously with 3 months or greater breaks in between:

• LOTRO - 6 years
    • EvE - 7 years

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Wow and Swtor. Only games where I have full set of top level alts for both factions (ok, still working on few on horde side as on sith side, but they are close :-). Leveled all personally with great joy. No other game kept me interested long enough to level SINGLE alt to max level, imagine 22 or 16 as in Wow and Swtor.
  • SilverfootSilverfoot Member UncommonPosts: 12

UO since beta Aug 1997 - still playing  16 plus years

Lotro since beta - still playing  7 years

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Everquest 2 since beta 10 years now  

Free realms since beta  think almost 6 years closed now

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

I'm done by the 3-month mark usually.

Kudos to everyone who has played games for years.

A feat I could not accomplish.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

from 09/2006 to 07/2011... Which is the longest time I've been subscribed to a single MMORPG game and most of that time it was the only game I was subbed to.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I can't remember the exact number of years but stayed with SWG from day one till my sub ran out just after the NGE.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Eve Online 2005 to last years winter expansion and all the BS Tiericide aka. streamlining, they decided to do.  May go back sometime.

EQ1 about 2 years

EQ2 about 4 years

Shortest has to be Battlefield Earth, 10 minutes.