Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SO is this P2W or not I don't get it.

DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

Patron status looks P2W as fuck for F2P crafters like myself how am I supposed to compete against people with land with farms who are able to farm large quantity of farm animals and make huge profits.

Then they sell Patron status in AH and make even more profits. How are the non-patron suppose to compete while we get small gains from quests and get scraps. The richest players will be patron's 100% of the time.

Labor points regen rates from patron and f2p players will only widen the gap over time causing the economy to be broken.

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by DragonMyth88

Patron status looks P2W as fuck for F2P crafters like myself how I am supposed to compete against people with land with farms who are able to farm large quantity of farm animals and make huge profits.

Then they sell Patron status in AH and make even more profits. How are the non-patron suppose to compete while we get small gains from quests and get scraps. The richest players will be patron's 100% of the time.

Labor points regen rates from patron and f2p players will only widen the gap over time cause the economy to be broken.

Simple answer: Become a Patron?

It's not pay to win - the people paying for these perks are essentially paying to keep the game funded and giving you something to play. Some perks need to be offered to persuade someone to pony up the sub fee. After all, people maintaining the game need to be paid, someone has to pay the electric bills, ISP, IT, etc.

This post kinda reminds me of my sister - Sits on her ass all day, refuses to get a job and complains about how its unfair to her that other people can have a nice car/home while her car is held together with bondo and chicken wire or her apartment is one step up from a seedy motel room...

As my dad used to say: Don't worry about what others have....

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The basic principal of free playing is things take longer to get than if you pay. This seems to fall within that. You can still build everything they can it just takes you longer.

When they start adding things only paying people can build and are better than things you can make, then it's pay to win.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Like all F2P games they have a subscription cost as well if you want. Depends on what you are wanting.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    how bout you quit being lazy and look up the game so you can make you're own opinion?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The basic principal of free playing is things take longer to get than if you pay. This seems to fall within that. You can still build everything they can it just takes you longer.

When they start adding things only paying people can build and are better than things you can make, then it's pay to win.

Not entirely. If a game allowed paying customers to own a house but a free to play player can't, that's not pay to win. That's pay a sub to own a house. When people are complaining about pay to win, they're typically talking about gaining advantage over players who don't pay. This is something that is really only a good argument in a PVP game where the paid for item/subscription bonuses make the paid player more powerful in pvp combat against the free to play one.

• stormannnnstormannnn Member Posts: 31

You guys are such trolls. OP has a very valid point, though I suspect that most of you can't see it as much more attention is given to negative comments than positive ones. I am not disputing the claim that the owners of the game must be paid, which is clearly a fact. The real fact of the matter, which OP was bringing to light, is that the title "free to play" has a colloquial meaning that differs from its literal meaning. By offering 'enhancements' through micro-transactions, the company is programming those of you unwilling to use your brain to think that you have the power to choose something. This is a tactic which increases compliance with the unspoken request all owners of a business give: "buy my product". Please open your eyes to what posting on a forum like this could do to further affect the uneducated masses, much like yourselves. You are effectively saying "no it's okay, they can call it free to play because it makes me feel better about my choice to spend money on it". Again, the consumer is being fooled. Taken advantage of. DO NOT TAKE THIS as a message bashing this specific game or a statement saying no, don't buy games with your money. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying, open your eyes and stop spreading the infection that is ignorance. You are not on the winning end of any deal that big companies may seem to be giving you. The sooner the public admits that they've been taken advantage of, the sooner we can work on fixing it. Continuing to gobble up whatever big business throws at us will only further the problem, which is having your mind controlled in a way. I understand that not everyone feels this way, as it is much easier to 'go with the flow'. I for one do not like being taken advantage of, and the fact that there are people in the world willing to defend a company's right to refer to a game, which clearly does sell unfair advantages, in a way that makes it seem like it actually does not, makes my stomach turn. If you don't mind being taken advantage of, that is your right. But by being okay with it, you are in fact impairing my right to NOT be okay with it, as the consent of those buying the game is indeed the deciding factor in whether the companies get away with it. 

All of this being said, I am not one to complain and leave. That would be nothing be harmful to who it may concern. The solution is to take responsibility for our actions as gamers and just pay the subscription fee that so clearly worked for years before the uneducated masses decided they couldn't handle the 'effect' that their actions have 'caused'. The action of paying monthly for a subscription caused the idea that games should be free. Of course, powerful companies with the means to work psychologically on it's consumers, were more than able to oblige the request by the masses to make it easier for us to give them our money and make us feel like it's our own choice. Let us all open our eyes.. for the sake of the future of games.. 

Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Not entirely. If a game allowed paying customers to own a house but a free to play player can't, that's not pay to win. That's pay a sub to own a house. When people are complaining about pay to win, they're typically talking about gaining advantage over players who don't pay. This is something that is really only a good argument in a PVP game where the paid for item/subscription bonuses make the paid player more powerful in pvp combat against the free to play one.

To say that the idea of pay to win only applies to pvp games.... sigh.. You realize that that statement would imply that the object of every game ever played with more than one player would be PVP prowess, which clearly, is false. 

Perhaps the statement you meant to make was that you personally don't -think- it's a good argument outside of a PVP game, which would be a true statement. You would also be in the right to state that opinion, assuming you make it apparent that it is indeed just an opinion.. To make a statement like you have, you would need valid fact (such as the fact that not every game's objective is to PVP, which in turn means that to "win" (also known as the 'w' in P2W) may actually involve any of the things that OP stated such as farming, house ownership, economics, etc.).

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by stormannnn

You guys are such trolls. OP has a very valid point, though I suspect that most of you can't see it as much more attention is given to negative comments than positive ones. I am not disputing the claim that the owners of the game must be paid, which is clearly a fact. The real fact of the matter, which OP was bringing to light, is that the title "free to play" has a colloquial meaning that differs from its literal meaning. By offering 'enhancements' through micro-transactions, the company is programming those of you unwilling to use your brain to think that you have the power to choose something. This is a tactic which increases compliance with the unspoken request all owners of a business give: "buy my product". Please open your eyes to what posting on a forum like this could do to further affect the uneducated masses, much like yourselves. You are effectively saying "no it's okay, they can call it free to play because it makes me feel better about my choice to spend money on it". Again, the consumer is being fooled. Taken advantage of. DO NOT TAKE THIS as a message bashing this specific game or a statement saying no, don't buy games with your money. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying, open your eyes and stop spreading the infection that is ignorance. You are not on the willing part of any deal that big companies seem to be giving you. The sooner the public admits that they've been taken advantage of, the sooner we can work on fixing it. Continuing to gobble up whatever big business throws at us will only further the problem, which is having your mind controlled in a way. I understand that not everyone feels this way, as it is much easier to 'go with the flow'. I for one do not like being taken advantage of, and the fact that there are people in the world willing to defend a company's right to refer to a game, which clearly does sell unfair advantages, in a way that makes it seem like it actually does not, makes my stomach turn. If you don't mind being taken advantage of, that is your right. But by being okay with it, you are in fact impairing my right to NOT be okay with it, as the consent of those buying the game is indeed the deciding factor in whether the companies get away with it. 

All of this being said, I am not one to complain and leave. That would be nothing be harmful to who it may concern. The solution is to take responsibility for our actions as gamers and just pay the subscription fee that so clearly worked for years before the uneducated masses decided they couldn't handle the 'effect' that their actions have 'caused'. The action of paying monthly for a subscription caused the idea that games should be free. Of course, powerful companies with the means to work psychologically on it's consumers, were more than able to oblige the request by the masses to make it easier for us to give them our money and make us feel like it's our own choice. Let us all open our eyes.. for the sake of the future of games.. 

I took one psychology class in college, the last thing the research experienced, Phd holding, multiple book authoring professor said was. "Everything you've just learned is bullshit" I maintain this theory.

The way I see it there are two choices. You pay the sub fee or you don't based on whether you think its worth more of your money or more of your time. No brain washing, psychobabble shit involved.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Patron status looks P2W as fuck for F2P crafters like myself how I am supposed to compete against people with land with farms who are able to farm large quantity of farm animals and make huge profits.

Labor points regen rates from patron and f2p players will only widen the gap over time cause the economy to be broken.

start paying for a service instead of complaining how unfair it is for freeloaders?

I dont understand why ppl think they deserve everything for playing FREE. Its not fair. Its p2w..blah blah. 

kids

• geez what a paywall
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Patron status looks P2W as fuck for F2P crafters like myself how am I supposed to compete against people with land with farms who are able to farm large quantity of farm animals and make huge profits.

Yes it is P2W as are all microtransaction games.

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/177190/next_generation_monetization_.php

That doesn't make the game bad by default.  It really all depends on whether or not you find the advantage that paying players gain to be " fair " enough to invest your time. 

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by thinktank001

That doesn't make the game bad by default.  It really all depends on whether or not you find the advantage that paying players gain to be " fair " enough to invest your time. 

wow you take the meaning of P2W to the extremes. By your definition there are very few mmos(mmorpg) that do not fall into the P2W category considering almost all currently posses some form of micro transaction or other.

Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by stormannnn

You guys are such trolls. OP has a very valid point, though I suspect that most of you can't see it as much more attention is given to negative comments than positive ones. I am not disputing the claim that the owners of the game must be paid, which is clearly a fact. The real fact of the matter, which OP was bringing to light, is that the title "free to play" has a colloquial meaning that differs from its literal meaning. By offering 'enhancements' through micro-transactions, the company is programming those of you unwilling to use your brain to think that you have the power to choose something. This is a tactic which increases compliance with the unspoken request all owners of a business give: "buy my product". Please open your eyes to what posting on a forum like this could do to further affect the uneducated masses, much like yourselves. You are effectively saying "no it's okay, they can call it free to play because it makes me feel better about my choice to spend money on it". Again, the consumer is being fooled. Taken advantage of. DO NOT TAKE THIS as a message bashing this specific game or a statement saying no, don't buy games with your money. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying, open your eyes and stop spreading the infection that is ignorance. You are not on the willing part of any deal that big companies seem to be giving you. The sooner the public admits that they've been taken advantage of, the sooner we can work on fixing it. Continuing to gobble up whatever big business throws at us will only further the problem, which is having your mind controlled in a way. I understand that not everyone feels this way, as it is much easier to 'go with the flow'. I for one do not like being taken advantage of, and the fact that there are people in the world willing to defend a company's right to refer to a game, which clearly does sell unfair advantages, in a way that makes it seem like it actually does not, makes my stomach turn. If you don't mind being taken advantage of, that is your right. But by being okay with it, you are in fact impairing my right to NOT be okay with it, as the consent of those buying the game is indeed the deciding factor in whether the companies get away with it. 

I took one psychology class in college, the last thing the research experienced, Phd holding, multiple book authoring professor said was. "Everything you've just learned is bullshit" I maintain this theory.

The way I see it there are two choices. You pay the sub fee or you don't based on whether you think its worth more of your money or more of your time. No brain washing, psychobabble shit involved.

Perhaps the most important thing you said was also the first thing you said. "The way I see it", indeed it is a matter of perspective. If you choose not to look at the big picture, well.. enjoy what your limited perspective affords you. As they say, ignorance is bliss.. Not to insult your intelligence, which I hope this statement will show, is a different concept.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

nobody knows if it will pay2win or just sub2win

It is highly likely LP are sold on cash shop, but in what amounts/cooldowns remains to be seen.  There is likely to be some minor p2w with this.  But no one knows for sure.

• socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65
    Still sounds better than the original model with cash shop outfits giving stat bonuses and so on. It doesn't give a flat out statistical bonus to your character only ways to make more in game money. Furthermore they offer it to be sold for in game currency from what you say in the auction house so a free to play player can get these bonuses as well but they will need to work for it more to gain it which is kind of its only saving grace currently. Time will tell how p2w it gets as it goes further atm though I"m still skeptical with the 150$ buy in to aplha. . .
    Originally posted by Flex1
    Originally posted by thinktank001

wow you take the meaning of P2W to the extremes. By your definition there are very few mmos(mmorpg) that do not fall into the P2W category considering almost all currently posses some form of micro transaction or other.

I would almost link you back to the previous statement I made on the subject, though I assume you've already made the choice on whether to read it and people are very unlikely to assume at any point that their choice could be incorrect.

Thinktank001 is indeed correct in stating that all microtransaction games are really starting to lean towards pay to win, as even in games with no objective there is a way to win. Winning in the sense that there is no clear 'win goal' is simply enjoying the game. This would (and does) mean that paying to enjoy the game more is paying to win harder, or paying to win. Big companies are blinding you with the idea of words being absolutely authoritative in their meaning. Don't feel bad though, we are all taught at a very young age to assume that words are indeed a clear means of communication. They are not. They are simply the best we are able to create, as the physical world always changes with respect to time. Words however cannot account for time by themselves, which is why context is what conveys the true meaning of a given statement.. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    The game has REX just like Rift. So you can EASILY get patron status just by playing the game. Hardly anyone who is at endgame in RIft 'pays' for patron status.. you just play and you'll have enough in game cash to get it for free any time you want. Don't see how it would be any different in AA. Sure, at first people will charge a ridiculous amount for REX but it'll die down eventually.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Simple answer: Become a Patron?

It's not pay to win - the people paying for these perks are essentially paying to keep the game funded and giving you something to play. Some perks need to be offered to persuade someone to pony up the sub fee. After all, people maintaining the game need to be paid, someone has to pay the electric bills, ISP, IT, etc.

This post kinda reminds me of my sister - Sits on her ass all day, refuses to get a job and complains about how its unfair to her that other people can have a nice car/home while her car is held together with bondo and chicken wire or her apartment is one step up from a seedy motel room...

As my dad used to say: Don't worry about what others have....

As a person who's very familiar with mental illnesses, I wonder if your sister has an undiagnosed mental health issue. Many people are perceived as "lazy" when in fact they have a disorder which is a nightmare to struggle with. There are people of course who are just plain lazy BUT, I suggest digging deeper and talking to your sister. People do not sit around for nothing usually, there is something else going on.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

[mod edit]  Learn what P2W means. Go play most MMO strategy games, those are pay to win. Thats like saying a game with an expansion is pay to win because you have to buy the expansion to get higher level. lol. You are getting more content with the money, if you dont want all that content then dont pay. Its as simple as that.

[mod edit] 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
     I will sub if I am having fun, to me pay 2 win would only be if the game was f2p and they nickeled and dimed you to advance or to get things no one else can unless you pay.
    Originally posted by Creatorzim

Wow some really stupid responses. Learn what P2W means. Go play most MMO strategy games, those are pay to win. Thats like saying a game with an expansion is pay to win because you have to buy the expansion to get higher level. lol. You are getting more content with the money, if you dont want all that content then dont pay. Its as simple as that.

F2P does not mean you get everything for free. Somewhere along the line the company needs to make money. Get out with your cheap ass.

Unless they've recently changed what the word 'free' means, then actually, it does mean you get something for free. As I said in my earlier statement, it's just a marketing ploy in the end. They're telling you Quit bastardizing the English language. If it's free to play, it's -free- to play. If I'm playing half of something, and we wanna be technical about it, I'm not playing 'the game' I'm wasting my time. Unless companies are going to promote the free pieces of their games to the people it's available to (everyone) and the pay to play pieces to the people that is available to (those who have, duh, already played it and paid) then it is indeed false advertising to say that the game is free to play. As what constitutes "the game" is in fact not free to play, but you have to pay to access it. 

I for one am not willing to call anything less than 100% of the intended content of the software that is the game "the game" because literally, it just isn't. To expect something for free however IS WRONG. That doesn't change the fact that half a game isn't 'a game' though.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Entropy14
     I will sub if I am having fun, to me pay 2 win would only be if the game was f2p and they nickeled and dimed you to advance or to get things no one else can unless you pay.

Or even a paid game that allowed extra purchases to give you advantage.

Maybe people should look at Archeage a little differently. Think of it as a monthly sub game that allowed you to also play for free, provided you don't mind losing some of the benefits of a subscription. 

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Charging people 150 bucks for an old F2P game that is failing is most regions to sucker bored westerners after the ESO yawnfest. Yeap, Trion is so trustworthy. 
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by Entropy14

Or even a paid game that allowed extra purchases to give you advantage.

Maybe people should look at Archeage a little differently. Think of it as a monthly sub game that allowed you to also play for free, provided you don't mind losing some of the benefits of a subscription. 

If you 'look at it a little differently' you're allowing the companies with the power (the money) to bully you. They're, in the end, telling you that you'll sit down, shut up, and pay them the money the way they want to be paid. If it was a monthly sub game that allowed you to play for free, and they advertised it as such, then it would be exactly correct. The trick is in the advertisement though. The technicalities. The ability of the company to say "hey look at this free thing we're giving you" and get you to invest enough time that you'll be willing to pay them. They know the golden rule of business, that us as consumers do not usually; time is money. At some point the time you spent in the 'free' part of the 'game' is worth more to you than the money they're asking for. 

Not to say that they haven't provided you with a service that you indeed SHOULD HAVE TO pay for. It's the fact that they began the interaction with a lie, which is that the game is 'free to play'. If "free to play" meant nothing more than exactly what it says, why would you need to label something as that?? Do you not think it would be obvious? 

No one is looking out for you but you. Don't let companies fool you. Nothing in life is free, and to take advantage of the very people that pay your paychecks is despicable. The fact that there are people out there willing to defend such a hoodwinking is even worse.. But they defend it because to admit this statement as truth is to lose all the time that they've invested, and the fear of loss is what will motivate people to fight the truth.. As I said earlier, ignorance is bliss. Not everyone has the resolve to deal with reality

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    From personal experience, any game without a subscription plan is usually a game without any long lasting appeal. So in all my games I opt for the subscription. I can't say that I consider subscribing as pay to win in any shape or form. In fact, I'd say that I'm receiving some benefits for supporting a game the rest play for free, while whining for the "injustice" at the same time.